PDA

View Full Version : Ot:c8 midengine corvette finally released

alancw3
07-19-2019, 06:37 AM
Hey guys:

So I stayed up last night to watch the unveiling. Probably a great bargain priced supercar! Certain things I liked i.e. front end, certain things I didn’t i.e. rear end. 0-60 in under 3 seconds in the base model. What I was most surprised about was the base price. Under $60k which means $59,995. That is still a great bargain for a car with this potential. I am sure that the options will quickly raise the price though. All in all I am excited that the mid engine corvette is finally here after all the promises over the.last fifty years. Do I like it enough to run out and buy one? No! I will go to the dealer when available to see live and see if I can even fit in one.

Oh and the link now has multiple pics of the car.

https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-vehicles/next-generation-corvette

Blown Reek
07-19-2019, 06:41 AM
Not bad, but it ain't Vice-Presidential material.

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/coujw1ew8vqqlqmzy5kf.jpg

AngryScientist
07-19-2019, 06:56 AM
these look really great.

i was hoping they would keep an manual trans option, but i get it.

good timing on the release. this is poised to be an excellent mid life crisis used car purchase for me in about a decade :)

texbike
07-19-2019, 06:58 AM
Wow! This is still a preproduction model, but it looks incredible.

1. I like it!
2. It's so different from prior Corvettes, should they really call it a Corvette or should it be an entirely new model?
3. Chevy won't be able to keep up with the demand.

This looks like a winner and will definitely drive traffic to Chevy showrooms. The design is striking enough that the valets will have them parked them out front of the restaurant. Plus, it sounds like it will be a performance monster. Kudos to Chevy! They may not have made a machine that fits into the mold of prior Corvettes, but they've created an exceptionally cool car. I'm more excited about it than I thought I would be.

Texbike

madsciencenow
07-19-2019, 07:32 AM
I'm pleasantly surprised by the look of the new corvettes and engine placement. I didn't expect this but agree with sentiments above that it's hard to imagine this not selling well.

In addition, as others have said, I do love the look. This said, I can't think of a single iteration of the corvette that I didn't like. It's one of the few things I think GM has consistently done well.

I'll likely never own one but I do enjoy seeing a corvette on the street regardless of the year and model.

AngryScientist
07-19-2019, 07:42 AM
It's one of the few things I think GM has consistently done well.

i agree. vette's have a cult following for good reason.

GM has WAY too many vehicles in their collective line-up right now. most are mediocre to crap too, but they do have some excellent stuff. if they were smart, they would cull their line-up to a lot fewer models and focus on getting them to the top of their respective league.

i will say that i have driven them all, and in the mid size truck market right now, the colorado is really best in class in my opinion. the buick tour-x wagon looks pretty good too!

long live the corvette heritage!

buddybikes
07-19-2019, 08:26 AM
Kind of surprised no electric/hybrid workings, I know it isn't the target market but overall forces basically mandate this to happen.

benb
07-19-2019, 08:50 AM
I'm glad they're skipping the hybrid nonsense... I don't get the whole European Hybrid Hypercar thing at at all. They basically take their uber expensive sports cars and make them weigh a ton to carry around batteries and yet the hybrid/efficiency aspect of them is still kind of a joke.

Electric is the future for sure and for this kind of money I'd never buy a Corvette over a performance version of a Tesla or something like that. I'm not going to go to the track, and the electric cars already perform outrageously for a short period of time where short means "short enough to not get caught and go to jail". The only thing the gas engine has going for it now is if you need to do a lot of laps around a track at warp speed it doesn't overheat batteries.

That said they are staying true to the heritage by not making it a hybrid but obviously not doing so by moving the engine.

I know it's all about bragging rights but the way all these cars actually get used it's amazing the track performance actually matters that much... the point end performance of all these types of cars seems like it's used by a tiny percentage of owners.. most people don't go to the track, and all these types of cars have such high limits that among the people who go to the track I bet a very small # actually have the skills to care about the difference between a C7 and a Ferrari. And which of these cars are actually safe driven that quickly at the track without installing a roll cage and 5-point harnesses and doing lots of other safety modifications?

I'm guessing I'll never see one doing anything but driving 5-10mph under the speed limit.

cmg
07-19-2019, 08:56 AM
"What I was most surprised about was the base price. Under $60k which means $59,995. That is still a great bargain for a car with this potential." Not one of these vettes will sell for anything near $60K. The dealer prep, destination charges, taxes and dealer greed will get these things as close to a $100k and over if possible. Whatever the market will bear and the 0-60 in under 3 seconds will get them fuming.

R3awak3n
07-19-2019, 09:07 AM
I was just trying to convince the wife to let me get a Z06 C6... imo the best bargain of a car in the market right now. They are going for low 30s... amazing engine, amazing power, outside they don't look terrible but I won't comment on the inside. Anyways, wife did not approve the purchase.

The C8 looks incredible. I am a fan of the C7 as well but they really outdid themselves with the C8. Looks incredible, mid freaking engine, interior is one of the nicest (ok, that long row of buttons is a bit strange and so is the steering wheel but it looks like an expensive car). I will start saving now.

oh, no manual is :( I get it though and hoping GM will do a manual in the future. I don't care if its .2sec slower

ftf
07-19-2019, 09:08 AM
"What I was most surprised about was the base price. Under $60k which means $59,995. That is still a great bargain for a car with this potential." Not one of these vettes will sell for anything near $60K. The dealer prep, destination charges, taxes and dealer greed will get these things as close to a $100k and over if possible. Whatever the market will bear and the 0-60 in under 3 seconds will get them fuming.

Probably true for the first year or so, but once it cools down, they will go below 60k.

bcroslin
07-19-2019, 09:17 AM
Wow. That looks awesome. Coincidentally, last night I was watching TV with my wife and there was a spot for the new Blazer and we were both blown away with the fact it didn't look like a Chevy.

redir
07-19-2019, 09:35 AM
It looks like a running shoe :D

54ny77
07-19-2019, 09:41 AM
It's pretty darned sharp, and I'm a Corvette diehard.

Need to see more and better pics of the rear. The C7 rear is an abomination.

Bruce K
07-19-2019, 09:51 AM
I thought I read somewhere they were going to call it a Stingray (with a new logo) rather than / or in addition to Corvette but the website didn’t mention it.

BK

PaMtbRider
07-19-2019, 09:53 AM
At $59,995 this will probably hurt C7 resell value as well. Might be some good deals on those in a year or two as those who must have the latest and greatest upgrade.

pjm
07-19-2019, 09:55 AM
The interior is a little too Jetsons for me. But GM has just never been able to do interiors.

Elefantino
07-19-2019, 10:26 AM
So there are 495 HP for less than $60K.

Then comes the Z06 with a flat plane crank DOHC 5.5L with 600HP.

Then comes the ZR1 with a twin turbo version, 800HP.

Finally, there's the Zora, which will have AWD, a front E-axle and ... about 1000HP.

Game, set, match ... and LeMans.

yinzerniner
07-19-2019, 10:29 AM
I'm glad they're skipping the hybrid nonsense... I don't get the whole European Hybrid Hypercar thing at at all. They basically take their uber expensive sports cars and make them weigh a ton to carry around batteries and yet the hybrid/efficiency aspect of them is still kind of a joke.

Electric is the future for sure and for this kind of money I'd never buy a Corvette over a performance version of a Tesla or something like that. I'm not going to go to the track, and the electric cars already perform outrageously for a short period of time where short means "short enough to not get caught and go to jail". The only thing the gas engine has going for it now is if you need to do a lot of laps around a track at warp speed it doesn't overheat batteries.

That said they are staying true to the heritage by not making it a hybrid but obviously not doing so by moving the engine.

I know it's all about bragging rights but the way all these cars actually get used it's amazing the track performance actually matters that much... the point end performance of all these types of cars seems like it's used by a tiny percentage of owners.. most people don't go to the track, and all these types of cars have such high limits that among the people who go to the track I bet a very small # actually have the skills to care about the difference between a C7 and a Ferrari. And which of these cars are actually safe driven that quickly at the track without installing a roll cage and 5-point harnesses and doing lots of other safety modifications?

I'm guessing I'll never see one doing anything but driving 5-10mph under the speed limit.

Few things to point out:
-For the so-called "hypercars" the hybrid system had little to do with fuel efficiency but rather as technological experiments with manipulating the power curve. The gaps in engine response and power delivery that simply could not be filled no matter how advanced the engine the ECU is where a hybrid system and the supporting motors shine. That being said, the cost of such systems is astronomical. Software development, integration controls, wiring design, etc. adds up quickly in man hours.
-Of course it's all about bragging rights. NO ONE gets a sports car because it's practical, it's because they hit that ID desire.
-The top of the range Model 3 is $55-65K and does 0-60 in 3.2s but will never have the same handling as any decent sports car. Now if you're definition of "perform" is drag race specific, then yes it'll match or beat just about any internal combustion car out there. But if you like other aspects of driving then there's no comparison.

That being said the new C8 is initially looking like a home run. Great styling, insane performance, and GM looks like they're deciding to go the smart Porsche route of profiting off of perks instead of performance.

andeww
07-19-2019, 10:46 AM
What are the corvette purists saying about this one? besides the rear lights, this thing is ALL European lines

old_fat_and_slow
07-19-2019, 10:47 AM
If it's mid-engine, where am I going to put all my bikes ? :confused:

saab2000
07-19-2019, 10:50 AM

Get the optional trailer package and a 1UP rack custom built for all your bikes.

Elefantino
07-19-2019, 11:17 AM

In your support vehicle.

Dave
07-19-2019, 11:44 AM
490 hp and $59,995 base price. What you can get now, is just the beginning, with 30 more hp LT engine. Others will come later, including a mega horsepower hybrid.

You're not going to get a 2015 or newer C7 Z06 for 30K. I traded my 2014 C7 (that I got in October of 2013) in just last year. It was a base model with 3LT package and chrome wheels. I got 39K on trade, against the original 63K sticker price. I only paid 55K after cashing in my GM credit card rebate and trading in my 8 year old Equinox with 100K miles on it. It depreciated about the same amount as my wife's Ford Escape, but it only had 5600 miles on it after 4.5 years.

The C8 looks fabulous. I may have to look into a torch red model with black interior and the mid-level seats. If you skip the pricey Z51 package, it will probably save 8-10K. When it comes time to trade it in, the more you paid initially, the greater the depreciation.

texbike
07-19-2019, 12:32 PM
Man, the more I look at this, the more excited I am about it. It honestly may be my favorite Corvette since the C2 Coupe (especially the '63). I'll wait a couple of years for the 1st year issues to be worked out and for the hype to come down on them, but there will probably be one of these in the garage. A base model would be fine. There isn't any chance that I'd be able to extract the full performance from the base car much less any of the higher performing versions....

Texbike

72gmc
07-19-2019, 12:33 PM
The interior is a little too Jetsons for me. But GM has just never been able to do interiors.

They were fine back in the metal era. Aside from sun-cracked dash pads.

fiamme red
07-19-2019, 12:40 PM
This thread makes interesting reading after the "Save the Planet" thread. Just sayin'. :)

Plum Hill
07-19-2019, 12:42 PM
Wish I could get a Ford GT for under $60K.

texbike
07-19-2019, 12:47 PM
This thread makes interesting reading after the "Save the Planet" thread. Just sayin'. :)

^Haha. Good point! However, the consensus seems to be that we're all screwed anyway. May as well enjoy the time here and destroy the ice sheets and pollute our environment in style. ;)

Texbike

texbike
07-19-2019, 12:48 PM
Wish I could get a Ford GT for under $60K.

This is the closest thing to that for the price...

R3awak3n
07-19-2019, 12:55 PM
This is the closest thing to that for the price...

yep

Tony Edwards
07-19-2019, 02:00 PM
I just cannot wrap my mind around that row of buttons.

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--GXZp67bO--/c_scale,f_auto,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/pd99yyjqyqbkgm3qpy18.jpg

Dave
07-19-2019, 02:04 PM
I'll bet that drivers will quickly get accustomed to the buttons. The PRND buttons are also quite unique. It's all electric.

denapista
07-19-2019, 02:07 PM
That row of buttons is pure comedy. *** GM!
Someone could have easily made that less of an eye sore..

I wonder if any of the models are coming with Carbon Ceramic brakes. After having them in my M3, I don't think I can go back to steel brakes, unless its a super nice Alcon/AP brake kit. Having super good brakes is a game changer with canyon runs and daily street driving.

Ozz
07-19-2019, 02:18 PM
I just cannot wrap my mind around that row of buttons....

It looks like a Hot Wheels ramp......:cool:

pjm
07-19-2019, 02:19 PM
It’s been done.

Ozz
07-19-2019, 02:25 PM
It’s been done.

1964 Plymouth Valiant

denapista
07-19-2019, 02:30 PM
GM: WE NEED BUTTONS!

https://media.giphy.com/media/AW28GngMpXv5m/giphy.gif

Dave
07-19-2019, 03:50 PM
That row of buttons is pure comedy. *** GM!
Someone could have easily made that less of an eye sore..

I wonder if any of the models are coming with Carbon Ceramic brakes. After having them in my M3, I don't think I can go back to steel brakes, unless its a super nice Alcon/AP brake kit. Having super good brakes is a game changer with canyon runs and daily street driving.

Since they had this option in the C7, it will most certainly be available eventually. IIRC, they cost about 8K, so you better want them badly. The canyon roads here are rarely empty enough to drive fast and they have zero value for street driving. My stock C7 had all the brakes i needed for Colorado mountain driving.

choke
07-19-2019, 04:49 PM
Eh....I have to say it does nothing for me. That interior....the crazy trans tunnel (for lack of a better term, since there's no trans there) is just plain silly IMO.

But I may be biased, since the last Corvette I would want to own was made in 1960.

ScottW
07-19-2019, 04:53 PM

That's why they put it in the co-pilot's lap! Less of a distraction to the driver all the way over there.
Too bad they couldn't buck the trend of modern cars all looking like they have an iPad glued to the dash.

Haven't gotten to drive a C7, but have enjoyed ripping through some mountain roads in a C5 and C6. Both were fun enough that I could overlook any quibbles I had with the interiors. It's difficult to get a better performance bargain than a few-years-used Corvette. If I didn't have a couple kids who need to be dropped off at school on my way to work I would likely be DD'ing a C6. The sacrifices we make for our children.

pdmtong
07-19-2019, 06:37 PM
I am sitting up straight - I like this a lot.

BUT... not done paying tuition (yet).

daughter > C8.

timsmcm
07-19-2019, 07:07 PM

My favorite truck of all time. 69-72 chevy, gmc. Drove one for 25 years, miss it every day.

Dave
07-19-2019, 07:10 PM
The C7 interior was an enormous improvement over the C6. The C8 has even better seat options.

vqdriver
07-19-2019, 09:14 PM
So they ripped off a Ferrari design.:rolleyes:
I like it. But goodness, imagine the comments if this came out of asia.

54ny77
07-19-2019, 09:43 PM
The funny thing about the Ferrari-GM connection is.....guess who licensed GM's MR fluid suspension tech many years ago? The prancing horse.

If I recall, it first appeared on Caddy, then later found its way as an option on C5. Some years later, Ferrari licensed it.

It's pretty amazing tech--basically infinitely adjustable suspension via goop with metal particles that get magnetized in gazillionths of a second, which in turn changes the dynamic of the suspension (thick goop = stiff suspension, and so on).

mtechnica
07-19-2019, 09:57 PM
It's interesting for sure but I don't know how I feel about it. Cars these days are getting so fast that for me it's hard to really see the point. It's not that it isn't impressive but being able to go from 0 to the speed limit in 4 seconds versus 6 seconds doesn't really matter much on a day to day basis. Things like handling, feel, and other factors seem more important but again with limits so high you'll never reach them outside of the track at a certain point it's just another number. It's hard to quantify excitement.

Sorry to sound negative and all but I'm in a weird place with cars right now.

alancw3
07-20-2019, 04:25 AM
one feature that I thought was impressive, that was brought out in the debut presentation, was that the front end can be raised up to two inches, like if going into a garage. also that it ties into the cars computer through GPS so that you can program the front end to raise up automatically each time you come to that situation/location.

R3awak3n
07-20-2019, 06:02 AM
It's interesting for sure but I don't know how I feel about it. Cars these days are getting so fast that for me it's hard to really see the point. It's not that it isn't impressive but being able to go from 0 to the speed limit in 4 seconds versus 6 seconds doesn't really matter much on a day to day basis. Things like handling, feel, and other factors seem more important but again with limits so high you'll never reach them outside of the track at a certain point it's just another number. It's hard to quantify excitement.

I bet the new C8 handles pretty damn well as well. But you are right, for day to day, 3 sec 0-60 or 6 sec means little.

Tickdoc
07-20-2019, 06:22 AM
The attention this car is getting right now....it's having quite a debut.

I love vettes and cars in general.

When you go to Motor trend's website right now 11 of the 13 clickable stories on their front page is devoted to the new corvette.

It's been the worst kept secret in the automotive world for several years now and now that it is finally here you would think the thing has jet propulsion or something.

I will give them credit for the engineering and the styling though. GM (especially chevy) products have been getting hammered with the ugly stick lately and at least this one stays true to form.

Heck a bargain and I want to drive one.

witcombusa
07-20-2019, 06:40 AM
It's not a 'vette anymore. Since it's inception Corvette has come to mean large pushrod V-8 front engine, rear wheel drive, fiberglass American muscle car. At a price that was just one step above a Z-28 Camaro, thus reachable for many if
they wanted it bad enough.

In the real world it became the midlife crisis car for the divorced guy in his 50's...

Now GM has turned it into just another Euro-type mid engine exotic. Should have named it something else. :no:

RIP Corvette, 1953-2019

Bob Ross
07-20-2019, 06:41 AM
An acquaintance who's been dealing with a traumatic neck injury for the past ~5 years as the result of an auto accident finally reached a settlement -- a sizeable settlement, such that he claims "I never have to work another day in my life."

First thing he did was go out and order one of those new 'Vettes.

R3awak3n
07-20-2019, 06:41 AM
The attention this car is getting right now....it's having quite a debut.

I love vettes and cars in general.

When you go to Motor trend's website right now 11 of the 13 clickable stories on their front page is devoted to the new corvette.

It's been the worst kept secret in the automotive world for several years now and now that it is finally here you would think the thing has jet propulsion or something.

I will give them credit for the engineering and the styling though. GM (especially chevy) products have been getting hammered with the ugly stick lately and at least this one stays true to form.

Heck a bargain and I want to drive one.

I think they have a win with the price. Everyone knew about the mid engine corvette. We have seen it covered in that camo wrap for a while. Everyone though, oh great, a over $100k corvette is coming, yada yada.

But when GM tells people that car will start at 60k, it will make the front page for a second. I love corvettes, ever since I drove a C6. The C5 and the C6 are ugly-ish (they have grown on me over the years and I really want one right now, even over the C7 tbh) but when you drive one you realize how awesome of car it is. You quickly forget about the terrible interior and the not amazing exterior its just such a cool car. Gives me hope to maybe get a C6 Z06 for 20k :eek:

Now with the C8, people that have always wanted a super car, can afford one. Sure 60k is a lot of cash but if someone really wants one and is willing to save for a bit, its a possibility, with a lambo, you can get one for under 100k but repairs will be prohibitive. I consider the C7 a super car as well in certain ways but the C8 with its mid engine is more suited to that.

R3awak3n
07-20-2019, 06:44 AM
It's not a 'vette anymore. Since it's inception Corvette has come to mean large pushrod V-8 front engine, rear wheel drive, fiberglass American muscle car. At a price that was just one step above a Z-28 Camaro, thus reachable for many if

In the real world it became the midlife crisis car for the divorced guy in his 50's...

Now GM has turned it into just another Euro-type mid engine exotic. Should have named it something else. :no:

RIP Corvette, 1953-2019

lol. It would be RIP corvette if they kept with the stuff you are talking about. GM needs to sell cars, not please to the nostalgia retro grouch crowd. I could understand what you are talking about if GM put a V6 twin turbo on that thing but they kept with a good ole V8. Also by the welcoming reaction the car is getting obviously they got it right and there will be a few of you naysayers.

AngryScientist
07-20-2019, 07:07 AM
where is this car being assembled? one plant or multiple?

oldpotatoe
07-20-2019, 07:42 AM

Already been done...'they' did it with motorcycles..from big fat cruisers to street burners that look like a exact copy of the Ducati 90 degree twin motor...

so..

54ny77
07-20-2019, 07:52 AM
As you now, Corvette was meant to be mid-engined 50+ years ago under Duntov!

Re: the midlife crisis comment, yes and no on that one. The perspective depends on your own personal experience. My father had a '66, when he was young. Boy do I wish I had that car (sadly, he wrecked it). I have numerous friends of varying generations (mostly older) who've been collectors their whole lives.

For many years, the Vette was an aspirational and attainable American sports car for the middle class. Older ones could be had for a song and fixed up, newer ones achievable when the last of the kids went off to college and FINALLY a 2-seat sports car with a big ol' V8 could be had.

GM is addressing the future market because they have to. The core of buyer base is, sadly, starting to pass on. Quite a few of my older friends who are (or in some cases, were) Vette collectors are simply unable to even get into their Vettes, to the extent they still have them. Buddy of mine sold off his stunning collection assembled and restored over many decades, his knees just couldn't take the ingress/egress anymore.

Besides, I'd rather see a mid-engine Vette vs. no Vette!

R3awak3n: for the record, a road bike fits just fine in the trunk of a C5Z, both wheels removed. ;)

RIP Corvette, 1953-2019

Cicli
07-20-2019, 07:53 AM

Likely, Bowling Green only. If I was a betting man.
Home of the Vette.

dancinkozmo
07-20-2019, 08:31 AM
its a new design and a GM so its a sure thing there'll be plenty of quality issues.

imho it s butt ugly.

Dave
07-20-2019, 08:52 AM
All cars are assembled in Bowling Green. GM made a huge investment at the facility to enlarge it, so they plan to build plenty of C8 cars.

My C7 was an early model with a VIN number in the 2000+ range. I had no quality problems at all. No squeaks or rattles and nothing broke in 4.5 years (but only 5600 miles) of use.

eddief
07-20-2019, 08:53 AM
it is still fiberglass right? molding the parts and finishing and sticking that engine in the chassis would be fun to see.

like this:

https://jalopnik.com/heres-a-detailed-look-at-the-2020-corvette-c8s-impressi-1836540969

rinconryder
07-20-2019, 09:36 AM
one feature that I thought was impressive, that was brought out in the debut presentation, was that the front end can be raised up to two inches, like if going into a garage. also that it ties into the cars computer through GPS so that you can program the front end to raise up automatically each time you come to that situation/location.

Tesla’s have been doing this for several years. In fact I would venture to say that Tesla has single handedly caused a change in the auto industry.

texbike
07-20-2019, 10:48 AM

I agree completely on the ability to actually extract the level of performance available in these newer machines on a regular basis. The experience (feel, smell, sound) has become more important to me than outright performance figures. It's the reason I own a 30 year old euro classic instead of something much newer that I could have purchased for the same price that offered significantly higher levels of performance.

In fact I would venture to say that Tesla has single handedly caused a change in the auto industry.

On sooooooo many levels! Tesla couldn't completely fall apart at this point and they will still have been a success given the amount of disruption that they have brought to the automotive industry. They've pushed innovation on automotive technology, styling, sourcing, production, marketing, and distribution (and probably much more). ALL of the automakers have been forced to pay attention and respond in some manner that have made their offerings better.

Texbike

Tickdoc
07-20-2019, 10:59 AM
I think they have a win with the price. Everyone knew about the mid engine corvette. We have seen it covered in that camo wrap for a while. Everyone though, oh great, a over $100k corvette is coming, yada yada.

But when GM tells people that car will start at 60k, it will make the front page for a second. I love corvettes, ever since I drove a C6. The C5 and the C6 are ugly-ish (they have grown on me over the years and I really want one right now, even over the C7 tbh) but when you drive one you realize how awesome of car it is. You quickly forget about the terrible interior and the not amazing exterior its just such a cool car. Gives me hope to maybe get a C6 Z06 for 20k :eek:

Now with the C8, people that have always wanted a super car, can afford one. Sure 60k is a lot of cash but if someone really wants one and is willing to save for a bit, its a possibility, with a lambo, you can get one for under 100k but repairs will be prohibitive. I consider the C7 a super car as well in certain ways but the C8 with its mid engine is more suited to that.

Preaching to the choir. I spent 50 on a mustang, so 60 for a vette is just a little bump. Funny how when the new cobra500 came out the lack of a manual killed all interest for me (along with the 80k asking price) but this auto only vette doesn’t bother me in the least.

Sounds like we better keep you away from the auction houses :)

91Bear
07-20-2019, 11:13 AM

1967-68 Chevy C-10?

Oh wait, it's a 1972 GMC.

R3awak3n
07-20-2019, 11:19 AM
Preaching to the choir. I spent 50 on a mustang, so 60 for a vette is just a little bump. Funny how when the new cobra500 came out the lack of a manual killed all interest for me (along with the 80k asking price) but this auto only vette doesn’t bother me in the least.

Sounds like we better keep you away from the auction houses :)

Yeah, auto only does not bother me in this but still probably would buy a c6 or c7 manual. When alfa released the 4c auto only i was bummed but now I would love one of those and not bothered by it being an auto at all.

Really dig your bullit stang btw.

R3awak3n
07-20-2019, 11:20 AM
As you now, Corvette was meant to be mid-engined 50+ years ago under Duntov!

Re: the midlife crisis comment, yes and no on that one. The perspective depends on your own personal experience. My father had a '66, when he was young. Boy do I wish I had that car (sadly, he wrecked it). I have numerous friends of varying generations (mostly older) who've been collectors their whole lives.

For many years, the Vette was an aspirational and attainable American sports car for the middle class. Older ones could be had for a song and fixed up, newer ones achievable when the last of the kids went off to college and FINALLY a 2-seat sports car with a big ol' V8 could be had.

GM is addressing the future market because they have to. The core of buyer base is, sadly, starting to pass on. Quite a few of my older friends who are (or in some cases, were) Vette collectors are simply unable to even get into their Vettes, to the extent they still have them. Buddy of mine sold off his stunning collection assembled and restored over many decades, his knees just couldn't take the ingress/egress anymore.

Besides, I'd rather see a mid-engine Vette vs. no Vette!

R3awak3n: for the record, a road bike fits just fine in the trunk of a C5Z, both wheels removed. ;)

I love how much trunk space the c5 and c6 have. :)

texbike
07-20-2019, 11:33 AM
Funny how when the new cobra500 came out the lack of a manual killed all interest for me (along with the 80k asking price) but this auto only vette doesn’t bother me in the least.

Yeah, auto only does not bother me in this but still probably would buy a c6 or c7 manual. When alfa released the 4c auto only i was bummed but now I would love one of those and not bothered by it being an auto at all.

Hmmm. Interesting observations. I'm in the same boat and definitely prefer manual transmissions. I wouldn't touch a 4C since it doesn't offer a manual or have an older Corvette with an automatic (unless it was an older C4 convertible as a cruiser). Yet, somehow the auto in the C8 doesn't bother me at all. It really does seem like a different car.

The C8 intro has popped up in about a dozen conversations for me over the last couple of days including on this morning's ride. Everyone seems extremely impressed and excited about the car. The only real negatives that people voiced were the styling of the rear end (mainly the tail lights), the interior row of buttons between the seats, and the steering wheel.

Texbike

Ralph
07-20-2019, 11:37 AM
It will also be the basis for a great race car.

saab2000
07-20-2019, 11:48 AM
I actually like that the LT1 (base version) is available with fabric seats. This is almost unheard of today but kind of a bonus. That said, I wish the fabric were available with more of the options, but they advertise this level of trim as the lightest, and that's not nothing. Weight is the enemy of all performance and the base model still looks very nicely equipped.

Like others, I lament the absence of a manual transmission.

Overall, I really like it.

Ken Robb
07-20-2019, 11:52 AM
Kentucky, right by the Corvette Museum.

vqdriver
07-20-2019, 11:54 AM
Like.... the Ferraro?

RIP Corvette, 1953-2019

saab2000
07-20-2019, 12:04 PM
Like.... the Ferraro?

Corvari

ceolwulf
07-20-2019, 12:15 PM
Corvari

?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190720/406f1819c5ad08be738e154e9fb77064.jpg

R3awak3n
07-20-2019, 12:30 PM
Hmmm. Interesting observations. I'm in the same boat and definitely prefer manual transmissions. I wouldn't touch a 4C since it doesn't offer a manual or have an older Corvette with an automatic (unless it was an older C4 convertible as a cruiser). Yet, somehow the auto in the C8 doesn't bother me at all. It really does seem like a different car.

The C8 intro has popped up in about a dozen conversations for me over the last couple of days including on this morning's ride. Everyone seems extremely impressed and excited about the car. The only real negatives that people voiced were the styling of the rear end (mainly the tail lights), the interior row of buttons between the seats, and the steering wheel.

Texbike

the alfa to me would benefit from a manual, don't get me wrong. A car like that would be SOOOO fun with a manual trans but I like that there is no power steering so that to me is damn cool on a car like that. Also LOVE the look of that car an that you can take the top out. However, if I was to pay with my money I would pick a manual corvette C6 Z06 right now. low 30s, manual, sounds amazing, good highway gas mileale :banana:

and for the peopl saying it looks like a ferrari...

to me it looks more like an accura nsx. Regardless, it bothers me nothing. So hey i can get a car that is as fast as a ferrari, looks similar, costs 1/4 the price and does not cost a fortune to fix/I have a dealership 30 minutes away from me???? Ferrari who? - and this is from an european, I like lambos more myself, if I am going all out, I am going all out.

palincss
07-20-2019, 03:04 PM

RIP Corvette, 1953-2019

It still has the Chevvy pushrod "small-block" V8 and it's still rear wheel drive. Given the power even the base model produces, this certainly can be described as a "muscle car," and at a starting price "under $60,000" it remains as reachable for those who care to reach for it as the current car.

If you want to hear about the reasons behind the design choices, you'll want to read this Road & Track interview (https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a28433801/c8-corvette-mid-engine-engineering-design-interview/) with the people who created it: chief engineer Tadge Juechter, design manager Kirk Bennion, and product marketing manager Harlan Charles. You'll also want to read this interview in Automobile (https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2019-tadge-juechter-interview/) with Tadge Juechter.

Likes2ridefar
07-20-2019, 10:32 PM

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--GXZp67bO--/c_scale,f_auto,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/pd99yyjqyqbkgm3qpy18.jpg

Same... and the tiny screen. Neat looking from the outside.

alancw3
07-21-2019, 08:00 AM
I don't know if an you you live near Atlantic City but Kerbeck corvettes has been like the largest corvette seller for twenty years. anyway Kerbeck is having an east coast presentation of the c8 this coming Friday and Saturday:

https://kerbeck.com

wallymann
07-21-2019, 06:08 PM
yabbut...lamborghini started out building farm vehicles!

I totally get what you're saying, but dinosaurs like us will soon be buying walkers and then dying off after that...GM is adapting the Corvette franchise to millennials and whomever comes after...the Vette needs to evolve to stay relevant.

RIP Corvette, 1953-2019

Drmojo
07-21-2019, 09:30 PM
Kind of surprised no electric/hybrid workings, I know it isn't the target market but overall forces basically mandate this to happen.

electric would be faster
and much quieter

mtechnica
07-21-2019, 09:42 PM
yabbut...lamborghini started out building farm vehicles!

I totally get what you're saying, but dinosaurs like us will soon be buying walkers and then dying off after that...GM is adapting the Corvette franchise to millennials and whomever comes after...the Vette needs to evolve to stay relevant.

Ha! Millennials can’t afford corvettes.

wallymann
07-22-2019, 06:14 AM
Ha! Millennials can’t afford corvettes.

touché! :)

"the average age of a Corvette owner in 2015 was 61"... that's an unsustainable business model!

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a28450300/2020-chevrolet-corvette-cargo-storage/

alancw3
07-22-2019, 07:37 AM

"the average age of a Corvette owner in 2015 was 61"... that's an unsustainable business model!

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a28450300/2020-chevrolet-corvette-cargo-storage/

I would respectfully disagree. it is the baby boomers that can afford a corvette not their children unless they die. regardless of the advertised starting price of under $60k in actuality a well equipped corvette will cost around $70k. that being said here is my observation. the car will appeal to a smaller and smaller base of potential buyers. my grandsons, 14 and 16 could actually care less about owning a car. that was not the case for me 55 years ago. I could not wait to get my drivers license. times and values change. possibly for the better. anyway I do think that the car will be a success. just a changing market dynamics.

as a sidebar I hope I was somewhat instrumental in gaining an inch of leg room. having owned several corvettes I actually wrote to the chief design engineer several years ago when the c8 project was first rumored. I told him that the car better have enough leg, head and hip room to accommodate old farts like myself as we will be the ones that can afford to buy one.

AngryScientist
07-22-2019, 09:32 AM
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/corvette-rear-engine-radical-sportscar-redesign-135149018.html

But many of the Corvette faithful — men pushing over 60, possibly pony-tailed and post-second divorce (I kid, I kid) — aren’t happy about the massive changes to the Corvette’s tried and true formula — namely a huge front hood with a big V-8 engine underneath, tall front fenders, and small back end buttoning up that long coupe silhouette. And don’t get them started on the lack of a manual transmission in the new C8.

And therein lies the problem facing GM. Aging Corvette buyers aren’t getting any younger. The median age of a Corvette convertible buyer is a staggering 67 years old

ftf
07-22-2019, 09:34 AM
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/corvette-rear-engine-radical-sportscar-redesign-135149018.html

All of which means these are good changes for GM...

I know plenty of younger people that can afford this car, if these changes can entice them, we'll see.

AngryScientist
07-22-2019, 09:41 AM
All of which means these are good changes for GM...

I know plenty of younger people that can afford this car, if these changes can entice them, we'll see.

you can't swing a cat by the tail around here without hitting a dozen 60k dollar cars. it's definitely in GM's best interest to make the vette an exciting, modern offering. there will definitely be younger buyers for this one.

FlashUNC
07-22-2019, 09:55 AM
This is closer to the original idea for the Vette than it has been in a long, long time.

Well done on GM as this looks to be a home run and what the NSX should have been from Honda last year.

Mark McM
07-22-2019, 12:33 PM

Corvettes tend to have a long lives, so 15, 20 and 30 year old corvettes are not uncommon. And a lot of owners tend to hang on to them. An average owner age of 61 for all Corvette (from all model years) is not surprising. A more pertinent number would be the average age of new Corvette buyers.

And therein lies the problem facing GM. Aging Corvette buyers aren’t getting any younger. The median age of a Corvette convertible buyer is a staggering 67 years old

And there you have it. Sure, there are plenty of 67 year olds with the means to buy a Corvette. But there are far more 57, 47 and 37 year olds with the means to buy one - if it is car they desire. Chevrolet is betting that a mid-engine sports car is more desirable to the younger buyer.

Maybe the ad line should be, "This isn't your grandfather's Corvette". Since who wants to the buy the same car their grandfather bought last year?

FlashUNC
07-22-2019, 01:09 PM
GM needs to look no further than 1990s Acura NSX nostalgia and their skyrocketing prices there to identify who their target market is.

pasadena
07-22-2019, 01:16 PM
New Corvette is awesome. Great work from the platform layout to interior and ext design.

They have coilover suspension now instead of the transverse leaf, which will allow much more tuning and use of the Magride which is industry leading.

The dry sump pushrod is just smart and continues the tradition of 'everymans' sportscar.

It definitely is a landmark Vette, and they need that since the entire sportscar market is very slow.
The price point is stellar and really, they made the Supra irrelevant before it even hit showrooms.

In reality, no one is getting a Vette for $60k. Optioned w/ Z51, leather, nav, etc, it will easily be $100K. Dealer gouging will go on for at least a year...
I suspect a base Vette (if you can even find one) will go for $70K.

With the huge aftermarket that will inevitably follow, there really is no competition for it.
Not being a GM fan, I would still easily take the Vette over a Cayman or 911 and forget the Supra...RIP.

wallymann
07-22-2019, 01:31 PM
xxx

zap
07-22-2019, 02:13 PM
edit

Well done on GM as this looks to be a home run and what the NSX should have been from Honda last year.

The NSX is a pretty sophisticated machine with decent build quality. However, given all that the price does seem rather high.

The new Corvette looks interesting but will have to see it in real life. Based on some photo's I've seen the new vette look odd-out of proportion. Build quality is suspect......limited production and US$60K (base) and since it's a GM.....quality is probably closer to a Fiero than a Honda.

palincss
07-22-2019, 03:08 PM
In reality, no one is getting a Vette for $60k. Optioned w/ Z51, leather, nav, etc, it will easily be $100K.

But the 1LT base model is hardly a stripper. Does anyone not actually planning to bring the car to the track actually need anything beyond the base model? Perhaps I'm reading this (https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-vehicles/next-generation-corvette) wrong, but it looks as though even the base model seats come with leather ("Standard on 1LT and 2LT, the GT1 seat is wrapped in Mulan leather and designed for long distance and support.") and the base model has 495 HP - not exactly underpowered.

Dave
07-22-2019, 03:35 PM
But the 1LT base model is hardly a stripper. Does anyone not actually planning to bring the car to the track actually need anything beyond the base model? Perhaps I'm reading this (https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-vehicles/next-generation-corvette) wrong, but it looks as though even the base model seats come with leather ("Standard on 1LT and 2LT, the GT1 seat is wrapped in Mulan leather and designed for long distance and support.") and the base model has 495 HP - not exactly underpowered.

The base model would not have a suspension or tires worthy of a road race track and no dry sump system to protect the engine. That requires the Z51 package, that's around 10K. To keep the price down, I'd order the 3LT to get all the luxury items, but that alone is probably about 10K. That's still cheap considering that my 2014 C7 with 3LT package stickered for $63K. I expect I can get a nice one for no more than $75K.

I'd also bet that 99% of the Corvettes bought with all the racing options, never see a track. Getting insurance that would cover track days would be tough and expensive.

pasadena
07-22-2019, 03:40 PM
Hardly anyone will get the base, because dealers won't carry them unless it's one to advertise the low price.
The base model is brilliant I'm sure, but they just won't be available at that price for quite some time.
Dealers will be adding plenty of markup as well.

GregL
07-22-2019, 03:49 PM
The base model would not have a suspension or tires worthy of a road race track and no dry sump system to protect the engine.
According to Car & Driver (https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a28426967/chevy-corvette-c8-lt2-engine/), the base model does have a dry sump.

Greg

pasadena
07-22-2019, 04:25 PM
Dry sump is part of the engine design. It isn't an option.
New Vette can pull over 1g in base form, so they need the dry sump.

Dave
07-22-2019, 04:57 PM
Good to know that all models will have the dry sump. That's new. It makes the 3LT with mid level seats an even better deal.

The 5 hp bump to 495 is pricey, since it's due to an exhaust cut out or headers that either only comes with the Z51, or like the C7, it was about a $1200 option.

Dealers in my area do not bump up the price. I even cashed in a $3,000 credit card rebate on my new C7, that was preordered 7 months prior to delivery in October of '13.

Soon, you'll be able to build your own online and pay no more than msrp.

54ny77
07-22-2019, 09:06 PM
GM knocked it outta the park. They just enticed an entire new generation of buyers . Hopefully it builds brand loyalty and the marque will continue for another 50 years.

All the naysayers and armchair quarterbacks can say whatever they want, but the fact is Corvette has had one HECK of a run thus far, through all kinds of economic and geopolitical turmoil. Longer than anything else out there as a single model other than, what exactly?

pasadena
07-22-2019, 09:18 PM
Longer than anything else out there as a single model other than, what exactly?

Suburban is the oldest American nameplate
Land Cruiser globally.

54ny77
07-22-2019, 09:44 PM
I shoulda said single model sports car. Around even longer than 911 (just 911, not precursor).

pasadena
07-22-2019, 09:52 PM
Yes it is.
Corvette is a special American heritage name for sure and it's great to see GM invest in this new architecture in today's climate of 'everything suv'.

palincss
07-23-2019, 07:18 AM
The base model would not have a suspension or tires worthy of a road race track and no dry sump system to protect the engine. That requires the Z51 package, that's around 10K. To keep the price down, I'd order the 3LT to get all the luxury items, but that alone is probably about 10K. That's still cheap considering that my 2014 C7 with 3LT package stickered for $63K. I expect I can get a nice one for no more than $75K.

I'd also bet that 99% of the Corvettes bought with all the racing options, never see a track. Getting insurance that would cover track days would be tough and expensive.

If you're planning to use the car as a commuter and a tourer, why would you need a suspension and tires "worthy of a road race track"? In all the interviews, the designer lauds the large "bandwidth" of the car, its ability to play all those non-competition sports car roles as well as it performs on the track. If the closest you ever plan to come to maximum G is a fast run up an Interstate cloverleaf does any of that require the Z51 package? I freely admit, this isn't my kind of car (where would you put a bicycle?) and I struggled to try to understand the online configurator, but between that and everything I've read about the car, it seems to me the "base" model is very well equipped indeed - none of that "Would you like wheels to go with that?" nonsense here (aside from the safety items, anyway).

texbike
07-23-2019, 07:40 AM
This is what my base model car would look like... :banana:

Either a blue/red GS-esque paint scheme or orange/red.

Texbike

Dave
07-23-2019, 07:41 AM
I may have misread. I thought that someone mentioned taking a base model to the track. Of course you could, but it wouldn't perform all that well. That's why I got a base model with 3LT package. My car would only see street driving.

alancw3
07-23-2019, 08:16 AM
I guess we all are fighting growing older. I realize what you say true. who of us really needs the Z51 package? probably none if us. that being said there is a part of me having grown up in the muscle car era that wants to spec out the most performance oriented model possible.

sitzmark
07-23-2019, 08:22 AM
I may have misread. I thought that someone mentioned taking a base model to the track. Of course you could, but it wouldn't perform all that well. That's why I got a base model with 3LT package. My car would only see street driving.

For serious tracking, there'll likely be owner-specific mods/tunes. For more dedicated tracking going to be stripping the "guts" out of it anyway, so start with less stuff to take off/out.

Ken Robb
07-23-2019, 10:59 AM
I would want the base version even for track days. This would allow me to always think that I COULD have been the fastest guy if I was driving the top-of-the-line version. :)

Dave
08-15-2019, 02:31 PM
The 2020 Corvette pricing is out at chevy.com. A 3LT will cost about 72K. That gets you the GT2 seats in addition to all other luxury items. A full Z51 package with upgraded suspension and exhaust will add 8K.

BobbyJones
08-15-2019, 03:37 PM
Considering I just looked at a pickup truck in that range, i'm strongly reconsidering my needs.

David Kirk
08-15-2019, 04:16 PM
I would want the base version even for track days. This would allow me to always think that I COULD have been the fastest guy if I was driving the top-of-the-line version. :)

Exactly - nothing worse than have the fastest car and running the slowest laps.

dave

R3awak3n
08-15-2019, 04:19 PM
Id probably do 1LT and Z51 and still come under 70k. Of course that will not be happening :/

alancw3
08-16-2019, 08:21 AM
The 2020 Corvette pricing is out at chevy.com. A 3LT will cost about 72K. That gets you the GT2 seats in addition to all other luxury items. A full Z51 package with upgraded suspension and exhaust will add 8K.

so if that pricing is correct we are now talking about $80k. I still think that is a performance bargain for basically a race car.

oldpotatoe
08-16-2019, 08:54 AM
Considering I just looked at a pickup truck in that range, i'm strongly reconsidering my needs.

Tough to haul wife's wood chips tho..:)

benb
08-16-2019, 09:29 AM
After further thought I still think it's a bit nuts to think younger buyers weren't buying the Corvette because it had the engine in the front and they're going to start buying it now.

It's still going to be an old guy/baby boomer car.

If you believe the stereotypes millennials don't care about cars like Boomers and Gen X. A Corvette is an ostentatious car for people who are really into cars. Moving the engine to the back is not going to make a bunch of people who wish they didn't even have to buy a car or long for a self driving car service so they can just check out and use their phone/computer on the way to work decide to go out and buy a $60k impractical car. Cruising, cars, etc.. are just not part of the culture the same way they used to be.

I'm just barely a few years old to be considered a millennial supposedly. My wife is a couple years younger and is. We now very few people our age and younger who have gotten into the whole splurge on a fancy car to show off thing.

I'd actually say I am pretty far on the spectrum towards liking fast stuff.. I never bought super impractical cars but I owned sport bikes when I was younger and went to the track a lot and stuff like that and I did do some autocross. I could buy one of these new corvettes in cash but I feel like there is 0 chance I would. I'd enjoy taking one for a drive but there's like 0 chance I'd think it was cool enough to want to buy one. It's like riding a roller coaster, I'd enjoy taking it a couple laps around a track and that would be fun but I wouldn't need to buy it. I got to drive my father in law's C5 a couple times and that was exactly how I felt about it. He is dead square in the crosshairs of vette owners.. his brother had one too but they both got rid of them now.

$60k is pretty insane for this car when the average car buyer is spending like $38k to buy a milquetoast crossover but it's still $60k. They say most car buyers already are being irresponsible with their purchases.

R3awak3n
08-16-2019, 09:42 AM
After further thought I still think it's a bit nuts to think younger buyers weren't buying the Corvette because it had the engine in the front and they're going to start buying it now.

It's still going to be an old guy/baby boomer car.

If you believe the stereotypes millennials don't care about cars like Boomers and Gen X. A Corvette is an ostentatious car for people who are really into cars. Moving the engine to the back is not going to make a bunch of people who wish they didn't even have to buy a car or long for a self driving car service so they can just check out and use their phone/computer on the way to work decide to go out and buy a $60k impractical car. Cruising, cars, etc.. are just not part of the culture the same way they used to be.

I'm just barely a few years old to be considered a millennial supposedly. My wife is a couple years younger and is. We now very few people our age and younger who have gotten into the whole splurge on a fancy car to show off thing.

I'd actually say I am pretty far on the spectrum towards liking fast stuff.. I never bought super impractical cars but I owned sport bikes when I was younger and went to the track a lot and stuff like that and I did do some autocross. I could buy one of these new corvettes in cash but I feel like there is 0 chance I would. I'd enjoy taking one for a drive but there's like 0 chance I'd think it was cool enough to want to buy one. It's like riding a roller coaster, I'd enjoy taking it a couple laps around a track and that would be fun but I wouldn't need to buy it. I got to drive my father in law's C5 a couple times and that was exactly how I felt about it. He is dead square in the crosshairs of vette owners.. his brother had one too but they both got rid of them now.

$60k is pretty insane for this car when the average car buyer is spending like $38k to buy a milquetoast crossover but it's still $60k. They say most car buyers already are being irresponsible with their purchases.

all the youtubers are getting the C8, I am guessing there will be a LOT more younger buyers on this one.

benb
08-16-2019, 10:11 AM
all the youtubers are getting the C8, I am guessing there will be a LOT more younger buyers on this one.

I think people who make their living being Youtube car celebrities are probably not a good projection of what the market will do.

If having a mid-engine design was the issue you'd think there would have been a run of young buyers buying Porsche Caymans or something. (Aren't they in this price range?)

R3awak3n
08-16-2019, 10:45 AM
I think people who make their living being Youtube car celebrities are probably not a good projection of what the market will do.

If having a mid-engine design was the issue you'd think there would have been a run of young buyers buying Porsche Caymans or something. (Aren't they in this price range?)

Well they are called influencers for a reason. You dont think everyone wants the lambo and the ferrari and whatever they have and review? But cant afford it. Well now with the C8 they can. 60k is still a lot but not unattainable like a another supercar

benb
08-16-2019, 10:52 AM
Well they are called influencers for a reason. You dont think everyone wants the lambo and the ferrari and whatever they have and review? But cant afford it. Well now with the C8 they can. 60k is still a lot but not unattainable like a another supercar

The # of people who can afford these cars is orders of magnitude more than the people who actually want them and buy them.

I definitely do not agree with the idea that "everyone wants the lambo and ferrari".

It'd be interested to see the male/female split on buying these kinds of cars. If it's 90% men you don't think it's cause there aren't enough women who can afford them do you?

Also with respect to "influencers". It's a lot easier to influence a teenager to buy a particular piece of clothing or bottle of makeup or something than to get an adult to spend $50k+.

BobbyJones
08-16-2019, 12:27 PM
Tough to haul wife's wood chips tho..:)

It's funny you should say that OP. Have friends who bought a killer SUV for the son's first car after debating an econobox. Why? The reply was "It's safer. And we can use it when we need to pick up mulch"

It became known as the mulchmobile.

saab2000
08-16-2019, 12:33 PM
It's funny you should say that OP. Have friends who bought a killer SUV for the son's first car after debating an econobox. Why? The reply was "It's safer. And we can use it when we need to pick up mulch"

It became known as the mulchmobile.

This car, with it's world class acceleration, is clearly the safer option for most drivers who may need to be able to accelerate away from a hazardous situation or safely merge into freeway traffic using the on-ramp.

Nothing says safety like 0-60 in 2.9 seconds. These should be mandatory for all new drivers.

benb
08-16-2019, 12:53 PM
This car, with it's world class acceleration, is clearly the safer option for most drivers who may need to be able to accelerate away from a hazardous situation or safely merge into freeway traffic using the on-ramp.

Nothing says safety like 0-60 in 2.9 seconds. These should be mandatory for all new drivers.

LOL.. the famous last words of so many young bucks on sportbikes.

You'd think the Motorcycle Safety Foundation didn't have an explicit segment in the beginner motorcycle course going over why using acceleration as a response to a dangerous situation is always the wrong answer. (I don't recall anything like that ever being covered in *car* driver ed of course!)

0-60 in 2.9s being nothing special at all in that world for decades now where you can get a used bike that'll do that for less than the average member here spends on a road bike on average.

palincss
08-16-2019, 02:03 PM

Not to mention the known benign handling of mid-engine cars. No dangerous understeer to worry about here!

jlwdm
08-16-2019, 03:06 PM

It'd be interested to see the male/female split on buying these kinds of cars. If it's 90% men you don't think it's cause there aren't enough women who can afford them do you?

I go to the track quite a bit -15 days this year, and will go a lot more in the future as I joined a track that is reopening next week.

Small percentage of women at the track, but a good percentage of the women drive Corvettes.

Jeff

tony_mm
08-17-2019, 12:51 AM

RIP Corvette, 1953-2019

Totally agree!

The new one is certainly nice but not a Corvette anymore.

R3awak3n
08-17-2019, 05:14 AM
I go to the track quite a bit -15 days this year, and will go a lot more in the future as I joined a track that is reopening next week.

Small percentage of women at the track, but a good percentage of the women drive Corvettes.

Jeff

I have seen more women at the corvette group on youtube than here on PL

alancw3
08-17-2019, 11:49 AM
I think that Zora Arkus Duntov would take exception to this thinking. it was
always his dream to have a mid engine corvette right from the beginning. it was only the bean counters and executives at gm that held him back and forced him to use the front engine/rear drive platform.

I predict that this will be the best corvette ever produced. I have own several corvette in my life. 1966 & 1967 both with the L-79 engine and a 1975 low performance all convertibles. this is a huge step in performance potential for the corvette badge. I am actually surprised that gm did not use a new name for this super car.

saab2000
08-17-2019, 12:21 PM
I predict that this will be the best corvette ever produced. .

If they can avoid the issues with GM quality I totally agree. That would be my biggest concern. GM cars are often built using substandard materials and parts. Hopefully this one is different.

BobbyJones
05-03-2020, 08:23 PM
Finally saw one out in the wild on Saturday.

Very good looking. Hoping the 5 year quality curve stays high.

Coffee Rider
05-03-2020, 08:40 PM
Finally saw one out in the wild on Saturday.

Very good looking. Hoping the 5 year quality curve stays high.

I haven’t see one yet, but am looking forward to it. Although I’ll likely never own one and maybe not drive one, I’d like to see this car succeed. The thought of just being able to floor it makes me giddy and I’m not a car guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pasadena
05-04-2020, 10:37 AM
Naw, it's pretty bad QC. Panel gaps and materials, rattles and squeeks are not appearing much different than older ones.
Par for the brand. Maybe it will improve as the production gears up

Still, it's an amazing car and such a great move by GM. From all accounts, drives wonderfully.
It will still be one of the, if not best Corvette.

If they can avoid the issues with GM quality I totally agree. That would be my biggest concern. GM cars are often built using substandard materials and parts. Hopefully this one is different.

Ralph
05-04-2020, 10:48 AM
The new version is going to be a terrific platform from which to build an all out world class race car. A GM "Halo" car. It won't be anything like the street car, but starting with "mid engine" makes a difference.

texbike
05-04-2020, 11:16 AM
I saw my first one in the wild the weekend before last while out for a ride. I could hear it before it popped into view. I like it!

Here's a nice video of one out on the track - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIyS8YlydG0 . The poster has several videos of the car from the time that he picked it up at the dealership, to when he drove it home, and then started doing track days with it. Kinda cool.

Texbike

benb
05-04-2020, 11:23 AM
Yah I saw my first C8 out on the road recently, bright red.

It looked awesome... I was fairly excited and so was my kid.

ERK55
05-04-2020, 11:46 AM
[QUOTE=texbike;2711788]I saw my first one in the wild the weekend before last while out for a ride. I could hear it before it popped into view. I like it!

Here's a nice video of one out on the track - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIyS8YlydG0 . The poster has several videos of the car from the time that he picked it up at the dealership, to when he drove it home, and then started doing track days with it. Kinda cool.

19 year old kid just bought a new Corvette?
Took a plane flight to take delivery!?
Hmm...

texbike
05-04-2020, 02:19 PM
[QUOTE=texbike;2711788]I saw my first one in the wild the weekend before last while out for a ride. I could hear it before it popped into view. I like it!

19 year old kid just bought a new Corvette?
Took a plane flight to take delivery!?
Hmm...

AND, he also has a GT500! ;)

Honestly, it's probably not that bad. He has a Youtube channel with over 100K followers that continues to grow. The cars are most likely leased. So, monthly payments on the cars are $XX and his channel probably generates $XX in ad revenue per month. He's probably close to a wash if not making money. While ad $$$ seem be down at the moment, I see highly targeted marketing like this increasing in value.

Texbike

ftf
05-04-2020, 02:20 PM
[QUOTE=ERK55;2711804]

AND, he also has a GT500! ;)

Most wealth is inherited.

charliedid
05-04-2020, 02:45 PM
I saw my first one in the wild the weekend before last while out for a ride. I could hear it before it popped into view. I like it!

Texbike

Is that kid in the video old enough to drive a car? :)

My brother in-law has one of these on order. I sure hope he leaves my sister at home when he drives it...