PDA

View Full Version : Update 2 --Post Spinal Surgery,

buddybikes
07-19-2019, 05:30 AM
On the 15th had my L3 fused XLIF technique which didn't require rods and screws. So now the clock ticks when I can't do anything but walk. No lifting 5lbs or more. Think dead of summer was actually good time to do it, don't really care these few days of total heat not getting out. Need to lose 10lbs but was advised don't worry about that now, get protein/nutrition to rebuild those bones.

Just dying to find out if my current fit will need any/much modification...

So watch wife and friends go out and cruise while I read bike forums
--------------------------------
Update, surgery went well, pain/stiffness sucks but much easier than posterior fusion. I was cleared to ride 3 weeks post op, so rode last week 5-6 miles each time on flat roads. Actually cleared to do whatever I want based on my pain. Kayaking, my goal is out of question for a while. Goal right now is 10miles, good PT sessions and getting off of Tylenol. Can't take Advil for up to 6 mos.
Not riding/exercising has affected my upper back/neck more. Wish I had prepared a bike with lower drop. Making the change will require new cabling, and back doesn't feel like working on a bike. Shop wait time is 2 weeks, think I will grime it out.

VTCaraco
07-19-2019, 06:18 AM
I didn't have the scope of work that you did....discectomy and laminectomy...but I didn't listen and ended up with a high-pressure spinal leak and a second surgery almost immediately after the first. And with THAT one, it was STRICT bed-rest ~ where I even had to stay flat for 48 hours to try to get the collagen-patch to bond correctly to stop the leak.

So avoid temptation :banana:

AngryScientist
07-19-2019, 06:30 AM
hang in there.

i'd look into some kind of new hobby or skill. learn a new language maybe? tie fly fishing flies? become dominant at online chess competitions? find something to engage and challenge you that doesnt require physical aspect.

hope everything turns out for the best and you get back on the bike strongly and comfortably once you heal up!

old_fat_and_slow
07-19-2019, 12:38 PM
Start shopping for your new Speedo. You'll need it for your rehab. :eek:

You'll learn to "love the smell of chlorine in the morning". It smells like victory !

buddybikes
07-19-2019, 12:58 PM
>>Start shopping for your new Speedo. You'll need it for your rehab.

More like baggy trunks for me with shirt if I can to not show my gut expansion

Ozz
07-19-2019, 01:45 PM
Do you have an Xbox?

Video games are a tremendous waste of time....but kind of fun.

Check out "Red Dead Redemption 2"....doesn't take much hand/eye skill....not so much a "shoot 'em up" games as much as wandering around finding treasure, food, animals, etc.

My son got it for Xmas last year...watched him play and it looked kind of fun. It is.

ariw
07-21-2019, 10:35 PM
I was fused at l5-s1, best thing that happened was having a great Pt. She brought me back to life after 6-8 weeks in the corset. Build slowly and take advantage of PT, I avoided injury during recovery, thankfully.

Good luck, I have been pain free for years now with only a minimal change in position on the bike

Ari

buddybikes
07-22-2019, 07:52 AM
Well, I am back working (I work from home) so keeping kind of busy, don't want to show I am fully back. Off those pain killers after day 5 days. Due to where they went in and cut through oblique area, standing straight is bit difficult and corsets/brace doesn't feel to good on soft tissue. Hope to walk about 1 mile today. One thing they warned down line was my ability to get on bike seat (throw leg over seat) but I am 95% sure this is a non issue, "could" probably get on my bike now if it were "legal" by the doc.

The XLIF procedure for middle back, appears, so far to be lot easier than posterior approach. Hoping all fuses that is all that matters.

ernmony
07-22-2019, 07:56 AM
Well, I am back working (I work from home) so keeping kind of busy, don't want to show I am fully back. Off those pain killers after day 5 days. Due to where they went in and cut through oblique area, standing straight is bit difficult and corsets/brace doesn't feel to good on soft tissue. Hope to walk about 1 mile today. One thing they warned down line was my ability to get on bike seat (throw leg over seat) but I am 95% sure this is a non issue, "could" probably get on my bike now if it were "legal" by the doc.

The XLIF procedure for middle back, appears, so far to be lot easier than posterior approach. Hoping all fuses that is all that matters.

Don't know what state you live in but you might want to try CBD.

ariw
07-22-2019, 12:05 PM
My doc encouraged walking almost right away, activity that would get you moving, but maintain posture, should promote your recovery. I was a LOT better about 10 days out, no pain meds, moving around well, etc...

Ari

bigbill
07-22-2019, 01:36 PM
After my discectomy, I spent about 36 hours just recovering from the surgery/anesthesia before doing more than walking around the house. On the third day, I made a goal to walk an hour a day but found that walking on my neighborhood streets was uncomfortable due to the crown of the pavement. I ended up going to an area park in the afternoons to walk on a fairly flat path and it was so much better. The first few days I did a mile in an hour. By the fourth week, I was getting four miles.

I'll likely have a laminectomy this fall at some point for stenosis.

rePhil
07-22-2019, 02:44 PM
I can sympathize. I had 6 weeks in a cervical collar 24/7 after being crashed crashed by a car.
I did not want to lose fitness or gain weight. After two weeks I was allowed to go for walks (always in the collar.) I tried different routes out of the front door, and after a few weeks settled on a 7 mile route.
I listen to podcasts or sometimes enjoy the silence.
I also found I like escaping the Florida heat by walking really early. I like the peacefulness of early morning darkness too. I still walk once or twice a week, more if the weather doesn't cooperate.

Good luck to you.Heal well.

buddybikes
07-22-2019, 03:01 PM
CBD...please...

Walking - trying to get off of calls here to grab my hiking sticks and walk around the block!

buddybikes
07-28-2019, 03:55 PM
Update day 13. Surgery not fun, one reason they usually beef people up with some steroids to reduce pain/inflammation, I got none due to my diabetes. Surgery prep was 1 hour and surgery itself 1 hour. In hospital for 2 days. Now I am walking about 1 - 1.5 miles a day split up, finally passed on using the walking sticks. Can't pick up more than 5 lbs, and can't walk the dogs. XLIF is totally different, going in from the side, I have zero pain in my spine...weird... but radiating pain from side down into my groin/leg kind of stinks. Sciatica not gone, just bit different. Put my leg over my firefly and wanted so bad to get out on it. Going to ride my daughters hybrid when doctor clears, probably on the 8th of Aug. Huge difference than posterior approach, hope it will work.

jgar12
07-28-2019, 06:36 PM
What's up with backs? How come you guys needing all these massive surgeries and how can I avoid them?

Ken Robb
07-28-2019, 06:42 PM
What's up with backs? How come you guys needing all these massive surgeries and how can I avoid them?

Don't get old.

Ozz
07-28-2019, 06:44 PM
don't get old.

+1

dancinkozmo
07-28-2019, 06:50 PM
Update day 13. Surgery not fun, one reason they usually beef people up with some steroids to reduce pain/inflammation, I got none due to my diabetes. Surgery prep was 1 hour and surgery itself 1 hour. In hospital for 2 days. Now I am walking about 1 - 1.5 miles a day split up, finally passed on using the walking sticks. Can't pick up more than 5 lbs, and can't walk the dogs. XLIF is totally different, going in from the side, I have zero pain in my spine...weird... but radiating pain from side down into my groin/leg kind of stinks. Sciatica not gone, just bit different. Put my leg over my firefly and wanted so bad to get out on it. Going to ride my daughters hybrid when doctor clears, probably on the 8th of Aug. Huge difference than posterior approach, hope it will work.

keep on keeping on !
wishing you a speedy recovery !!

buddybikes
07-29-2019, 06:38 AM
>>What's up with backs? How come you guys needing all these massive surgeries and how can I avoid them?

Like any ortho body part, things break down more in some people. Injuries or deformaties can exasperate things. In my case, heredity

Onno
08-06-2020, 09:22 AM
I just had ALIF (going in through the front)--put a spacer and bone growth factor at L5-S1 to try to deal with perennial lower back pain. That was 2 weeks ago. I'm already feeling a lot better--can walk a couple of miles, and the post-op pain is mostly gone. The sharp back pain I used to have is already gone too, although there's still a dull ache, which I assume (hope!) is still pain from the surgery.

Anyone (perhaps OP?) have any idea how long before one can get back on a stationary bike (i.e. Zwift)? I sat on my bike yesterday for the first time, and did 20 easy minutes. Felt fine while I did it, but a bit achy afterwards. I don't want to be stupid, but I'm also going nuts not getting any exercise while we are having the most beautiful summer in years!

David Tollefson
08-06-2020, 09:51 AM
I'm now 5 weeks post surgery for similar (L3-L4 microdiscectomy and laminectomy, and L5-S1 microdiscectomy). The L3-L4 issue came on about 5 weeks prior to the already-scheduled L5-S1 surgery date, and MRI convinced the doc (and insurance) to do both at the same time rather than go through the 10-month ordeal I've been dealing with on the L5-S1 issue (some centralization, ineffective PT and ineffective cortisone injection).

I was able to start walking around the house immediately, and within 2 weeks I was doing a couple miles a day. At 4 weeks I was cleared to do stationary bike (trainer). So that has done much to keep my sanity.

The good: The L3-L4 issue seems to have been remedied.

The not-so-good: The L5-S1 seems to be slowly returning to pre-surgery state, though slightly different. The pain *level* is a bit less, but more constant. I'm on continual ibuprofen/acetaminophen to tame the constant nature, but all the triggers for pain remain. I have my second follow-up next week.

For those using CBD -- details please? What are you using? How much? (I'm in Washington, so it's legal here.)

TIA

gone
08-06-2020, 10:10 AM
Reading this thread with great interest as I have a microdiscectomy scheduled for Sept 4.

I had a major episode on June 8 (4 days of the worst pain I've ever experienced) that has *very* gradually gotten better. As of today, my forefoot is numb, my calf is tight/burning and pain in my lower back.

I've had cycling related back trouble (I can obviously hurt it by dead lifting a VW, I avoid doing that) since 2014. The frequency, severity and recovery time have been increasing with three cycling related episodes since November. Up until November, pain has been localized to my back but since then increasing sciatic involvement.

MRI shows herniated disc at L5/S1 "with associated trauma".

Not sure what to hope for. If it "resolves" itself between now and September I could cancel the surgery but then I'm on the same train I've been riding since 2014 so I'd sort of "like" to get the surgery done. Having said that, surgical risk, etc., makes me feel like I should avoid it until I'm essentially a cripple but nerve degradation worries me.

Oh, and FWIW, I've done all the conservative stuff (core strengthening, acupuncture, bike fits, ...) over the years.

.RJ
08-06-2020, 10:21 AM
I just had ALIF (going in through the front)--put a spacer and bone growth factor at L5-S1 to try to deal with perennial lower back pain.

I had the same surgery 18 months ago. Recovery was rough for me, although the first week or two were easier than the roller coaster of the first few months.

I probably pushed too hard to get back on the bike (mostly indoors) at first, I think I was back on the trainer within a week or two of the surgery although it was for very short rides. Everyone's different, but it really took me a year until I felt really good again - part of my issue was that I had to defer the surgery for a long time as the doctors didnt think that not being able to ride my bike for several hours was a treatable medical condition while both my discomfort and fitness deteriorated and it made the road back much tougher.

Happy to share my own experience if you have questions....

Onno
08-06-2020, 10:21 AM
I had also done all the conservative stuff for years, including oblation and injections, which worked for a while, but then didn't. Cycling hurt the least of all the sports I like to do. I've given up tennis and squash years ago (those REALLY hurt), and was going to have to give up xc skiing, because that also hurt quite a lot. Running has also really been a problem the past year or two. It was the idea of having to give up skiing that really pushed me to surgery. A local surgeon was recommending microdiscectomy until I made clear that 90% of the pain is lower back, and not sciatica. Then he recommended fusion of 3 vertebrae with pretty major surgery and hardware. Sought a second opinion, and he recommended ALIF of just L5-S1, which is far less major surgery. So I've taken a risk on that, hoping that this takes care of much of the pain, but guessing that it probably won't cure all of it. Backs are just too complicated.

I'm just trying to figure out how to safely get back to exercise. I don't see the surgeon again until next week, 3 and a half weeks out. I really am trying to take it easy, but I guess I don't really understand what is happening at the fusing joint. What can go wrong there if I do too much? There's no real hardware (no rods or bolts), just 2 plates and a spacer, as I understand it.

gone
08-06-2020, 10:25 AM
I'm just trying to figure out how to safely get back to exercise. I don't see the surgeon again until next week, 3 and a half weeks out. I really am trying to take it easy, but I guess I don't really understand what is happening at the fusing joint. What can go wrong there if I do too much? There's no real hardware (no rods or bolts), just 2 plates and a spacer, as I understand it.
This would be one area where I'd take no chances. Wait until after you've seen the surgeon and have definite answers to your questions. It'd be awful to undo the surgery and have to have it again or an even more major surgery.

Patience!

(Note that I'm probably the least patient patient in the world).

Onno
08-06-2020, 10:25 AM
I had the same surgery 18 months ago. Recovery was rough for me, although the first week or two were easier than the roller coaster of the first few months.

I probably pushed too hard to get back on the bike (mostly indoors) at first, I think I was back on the trainer within a week or two of the surgery although it was for very short rides. Everyone's different, but it really took me a year until I felt really good again - part of my issue was that I had to defer the surgery for a long time as the doctors didnt think that not being able to ride my bike for several hours was a treatable medical condition while both my discomfort and fitness deteriorated and it made the road back much tougher.

Happy to share my own experience if you have questions....

Interesting! My doctors certainly seemed to get that giving up forms of exercise was serious enough, and I guess the MRI of the degenerated disc was clear enough that insurance had no issues.

Do you just let pain be your guide in the recovery? Anything you did during the recovery that you think was a mistake?

.RJ
08-06-2020, 10:29 AM
Interesting! My doctors certainly seemed to get that giving up forms of exercise was serious enough, and I guess the MRI of the degenerated disc was clear enough that insurance had no issues.

I think if I was maybe in a place where recreation was more a priority then I'd have been able to get it done sooner. But everyone in DC seems to care about their desk jobs. I had 2 years of declining fitness and several times I had to quit a ride because my left leg just refused to work.

Do you just let pain be your guide in the recovery? Anything you did during the recovery that you think was a mistake?

Basically. Once its pinned together there's little risk of damaging the joint, even more so when the bone starts to grow through.

My mistake was focusing too much about getting back on the bike and back to fitness - i was on the trainer within a week and it was painful but I just pushed through it. I should have done more walking instead, and more time on my other hobbies like photography. Its a very long road back and its an invasive procedure thats pretty disruptive in a lot of ways - I had some GI issues for a few weeks, too. I also had a lot of other stuff going on that wasnt helpful - we had just moved, planning a kitchen renovation (contracted out, thankfully) and my brother in law moving in with us for 6 months - none of it was good for my recovery.

buddybikes
08-06-2020, 11:17 AM
Problem with microdiscectomy w/o instrumentation is that level is now missing stuff - thus risk of breaking down and needing fusion increases.

Also, which sucks for all of us lumbar problems - do one level now and chance of upper/lower level goes up. I had L4/5 Dec 2015, went back in for L3/L4 July 2019 (later was XLIF).

Wish you luck. These decisions what/how much to do often end up with us patients.

bigbill
08-06-2020, 11:21 AM
I'm now 5 weeks post surgery for similar (L3-L4 microdiscectomy and laminectomy, and L5-S1 microdiscectomy). The L3-L4 issue came on about 5 weeks prior to the already-scheduled L5-S1 surgery date, and MRI convinced the doc (and insurance) to do both at the same time rather than go through the 10-month ordeal I've been dealing with on the L5-S1 issue (some centralization, ineffective PT and ineffective cortisone injection).

I was able to start walking around the house immediately, and within 2 weeks I was doing a couple miles a day. At 4 weeks I was cleared to do stationary bike (trainer). So that has done much to keep my sanity.

The good: The L3-L4 issue seems to have been remedied.

The not-so-good: The L5-S1 seems to be slowly returning to pre-surgery state, though slightly different. The pain *level* is a bit less, but more constant. I'm on continual ibuprofen/acetaminophen to tame the constant nature, but all the triggers for pain remain. I have my second follow-up next week.

For those using CBD -- details please? What are you using? How much? (I'm in Washington, so it's legal here.)

TIA

I took 6 weeks before getting on a bike. By that point was walking 4 miles in an hour on a flat gravel path. Two years after surgery, I had issues with scar tissue and some muscle atrophy in the affected side calf. I've been to a neurologist and the nerve root is likely damaged but it has not worsened in the past three years. It doesn't affect my riding although my calves are different sizes. It impacts my hiking sometimes because one leg is stronger when I push off so I time my steps if I'm climbing steep terrain.

CBD, I get it from Farmhouse Hemp because I can't have THC. I put it in tea in the evening and it seems to complement the Meloxicam I take in the morning. I take 15mg of Meloxicam every other day and never need anything else such as Tylenol or IB.

David Tollefson
08-06-2020, 12:24 PM
Problem with microdiscectomy w/o instrumentation is that level is now missing stuff - thus risk of breaking down and needing fusion increases.

I was wondering about this. And thinking that maybe this is why I'm getting the L5-S1 symptoms back already -- the hole where "the jelly is squeezing out of the donut" is still there, and nothing is preventing recurrance other than the hope that he fibrous surround will heal.

Fixed
08-06-2020, 12:47 PM
Hope to feel better soon maybe a forum mate could help with your bike adjustment what city are you in
Cheers

buddybikes
08-06-2020, 01:34 PM
Not that it is much compared to others in this community - but I am back to 320 or so miles a month plus 10 days of sea kayaking. Walking/hiking that is another matter stenosis has taken some toll

worst case for me is my 'proper' looking -17 firefly stem is now +17 degrees, but still run about 2cm drop.