That's a lot of money to refund!

54ny77
07-19-2019, 12:58 AM
wowwwwwwwwww. that's a big deal.

maybe the right call. maybe not?

i guess better safe than very wrong.

Dave Ferris
07-19-2019, 01:55 AM
High temps, coupled with the humidity, good call imo. People would be dropping like flies if we had those conditions here in LA, where most aren't used to the humidity.

As far as making it a "fun event and non- competitive" -- ok maybe "fun" for some but good luck on the latter. I've never known any runners or tri-people to NOT be competitive...even on a supposed "fun run/ride".

charliedid
07-19-2019, 06:14 AM
I just read this too.

I might* be in the camp that says just shorten the event but there are more people to worry about when it gets that hot and humid than just the competitors. That said Triathletes are generally a bit more fit than your average weekend runner. Maybe a strong alert to encourage everyone and especially the bucket list types that maybe are in over their head to consider whether or not it's a good idea to go ahead?

Crazy though, because that's a ton of work and people power to cancel. Too bad really.

I remember the Chicago Marathon being called in the middle of the event due to excessive heat. My wife was 7 miles from finishing when the Police told her to stop. She did because that's her, others kept going. It was her first marathon and it was a really strange day, they had run out of water and people were going into C-stores and restaurants for it.

Tickdoc
07-19-2019, 06:20 AM
that's crazy. Rode with my group wed evening on our hottest day this year....96 with a heat index of 110. It was hot, but bearable. just have to drink more and watch yourself.

AngryScientist
07-19-2019, 06:26 AM
heard this on the news last night also.

it's been a rough summer so far here with heat and humidity, and this weekend is going to be dangerous, but i think cancelling the event was an over reaction.

when you sign up for an event like this in the second half of July, it's not as if you expect it to be a cool weather event. heat waves in NYC happen during the summer.

weisan
07-19-2019, 06:33 AM
They had to.

In this day and age.

It doesn't take much to sink a ship or ruin the reputation of good people.

Just look at the "Tour Divide" thread...

or any "My XXXX broke, and I blame the builder/shipper/manufacturer/seller" thread that get started here everyday....

merckx
07-19-2019, 06:42 AM
The other consideration is the safety risk of all volunteers. They are in the elements too, some not fit, standing on their feet all day, and vulnerable to heat stroke.

buddybikes
07-19-2019, 07:04 AM
Realtemp feeling 105 to 110 high dewpoints, no brainer unless they shortened and changed start time to 3AM

Living is generally a good idea over dying.

EDS
07-19-2019, 09:27 AM
They had the transition areas already set-up.

fiamme red
07-19-2019, 10:53 AM
New Jersey Randonneurs is running a hilly 300 km brevet tomorrow. But the nature of randonneuring is that you don't cancel a ride unless the conditions are really dangerous (e.g., icy roads).

mmfs
07-19-2019, 11:16 AM
NJ Rando’s just offered participants the option to cancel due to the heat.

I signed up, but am rethinking it.

fiamme red
07-19-2019, 11:36 AM
NJ Rando’s just offered participants the option to cancel due to the heat.

I signed up, but am rethinking it.My trick to riding long distances in this kind of heat is to wear a Camelbak and refill it with ice from convenience stores at every opportunity. But I can't imagine climbing Jenny Jump when it's close to 100°.

Blown Reek
07-19-2019, 11:41 AM
Miami folks: "I don't see what the issue is."

hokoman
07-19-2019, 11:47 AM
that's crazy. Rode with my group wed evening on our hottest day this year....96 with a heat index of 110. It was hot, but bearable. just have to drink more and watch yourself.

There is a big difference in the mindset from going out for a group ride and racing. It has been really hot, but the humidity has been killer. You don't realize how hot it is until after you stop moving.

Matthew
07-19-2019, 03:17 PM
Isn't it always hot and humid in Kona? I am doing the Holland Hundred tomorrow in Michigan. Highs in the low 90's and very humid. Hope they don't cancel !!

SlowPokePete
07-19-2019, 03:53 PM
Personally i don't think they should have cancelled it.

I rode today in 90 plus temps, a bit over 50 miles.

Lots of water, etc.

It will be hotter and humider ( I know not really a word) tomorrow and Sunday, when I plan to ride 50+ miles on each of those days, too.

Folks these days.

SPP™

zap
07-19-2019, 04:16 PM
swim bike run......run when it's really hot. And it's a race.

I know people in the cycling community who passed due to heat.

Better safe than sorry.

54ny77
07-19-2019, 08:08 PM
THAT is the most valid point of all on why to cancel it. You are very correct, I hadn't thought about that. The athletes can most likely take it (although several years ago someone died if I recall).

The other consideration is the safety risk of all volunteers. They are in the elements too, some not fit, standing on their feet all day, and vulnerable to heat stroke.

fiamme red
07-19-2019, 08:21 PM
THAT is the most valid point of all on why to cancel it. You are very correct, I hadn't thought about that. The athletes can most likely take it (although several years ago someone died if I recall).The deaths that I heard of at the NYC Triathlon all happened during the swim. Competitive open-water swimming can be very dangerous for those with heart abnormalities.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/08/detailed-look-at-nyc-triathlon-swim.html

Mikej
07-19-2019, 08:28 PM
NYC triathlon distances look to be more in line with bucket listers - you know, not hard cores, but just people who want the experience. Sure there will would have been some serious athletes, but many just wanted to do a tri. That I’d say it’s good to cancel, they may not know when it’s time to pull the plug.