PDA

View Full Version : Delta eliminates bike fees

fa63
07-18-2019, 08:34 AM
Living in Atlanta (Delta's largest hub), this is great news for me (though it makes my Orucase a bit less relevant):

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/delta-airlines-eliminates-fee-for-sporting-equipment-including-bikes.html?fbclid=IwAR1TObqWBXeaWweMVfQ6n9okbF9s5H 86UPFdS45EWShGGME3Z5Woi1BK3aY

joosttx
07-18-2019, 08:36 AM
Delta for the win

ColonelJLloyd
07-18-2019, 09:27 AM
A lot (most?) hard cases are still going to be over the weight and size limit, right?

prototoast
07-18-2019, 09:29 AM
A lot (most?) hard cases are still going to be over the weight and size limit, right?

No, anything that was under the limit already wasn't subject to an oversized fee. These changes exempt certain sporting equipment from oversize fees.

Bruce K
07-18-2019, 09:36 AM
I love Delta even more now.

BK

R3awak3n
07-18-2019, 10:42 AM
too bad my next flight is united. what are the odds united will follow suite in the next month :hello:

Bruce K
07-18-2019, 11:13 AM
Fingers crossed for you...

Because we all know “ United Breaks Guitars”

😉

BK

DRZRM
07-18-2019, 11:19 AM
Wow, now I need a travel case!! That is cool.

Alan
07-18-2019, 11:41 AM
Maybe I can now use my Trico case again as I live in a Delta city. Have heard about TSA doing some really dumb things to bikes so it won't be totally risk free.

Alan

eddief
07-18-2019, 12:30 PM
i agree it is good but what is motivating them to make less money on this deal?

more butts in seats?

FlashUNC
07-18-2019, 12:39 PM
i agree it is good but what is motivating them to make less money on this deal?

more butts in seats?

Butts in seats, and its a relative race to the bottom. American just cut their fees too.

R3awak3n
07-18-2019, 12:47 PM
Fingers crossed for you...

Because we all know “ United Breaks Guitars”

😉

BK

I just looked and its $200 a bike for international. oh boy. I hope my smaller bag goes un-noticed or this is going to be a very expensive trip.

Elefantino
07-18-2019, 01:25 PM
United for the loss. It hasn't reacted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dbnm
07-18-2019, 01:35 PM
"Keep in mind that bikes must be properly boxed or bagged and are still restricted to the 50 lb weight limit for checked luggage. "

R3awak3n
07-18-2019, 01:40 PM
"Keep in mind that bikes must be properly boxed or bagged and are still restricted to the 50 lb weight limit for checked luggage. "

50lbs? thats almost 3 of my bikes yo :eek:

ColonelJLloyd
07-18-2019, 01:56 PM
50lbs? thats almost 3 of my bikes yo :eek:

My empty Thule 699 Round Trip case weighs 37lbs.

dbnm
07-18-2019, 02:09 PM
That's the point.

The bike case weighs 30+ pounds. So add a 17 pound and you're very close to be over the limit and paying a "handling fee".

FlashUNC
07-18-2019, 02:37 PM
This clearly advantages soft cases like Post Carry, Orucase and PikaPackworks.

If I'm a hard case owner manufacturer I can't be too thrilled about it.

CaptStash
07-18-2019, 09:19 PM
I think that Delta in particular has been feeling the heat from Alaska. Alaska did this about two years ago, and they are in a pitched battle with Delta for traffic out of Seatac. So far Alaska has been kicking their ass allover the West Coast. I am betting that United will likely have to follow.

CaptStash....

joosttx
07-18-2019, 09:40 PM
I think that Delta in particular has been feeling the heat from Alaska. Alaska did this about two years ago, and they are in a pitched battle with Delta for traffic out of Seatac. So far Alaska has been kicking their ass allover the West Coast. I am betting that United will likely have to follow.

CaptStash....

Interesting. Alaska and Delta use to be pretty close partners. If you had a sky club you could always use the Alaska club.

CaptStash
07-18-2019, 09:44 PM
Interesting. Alaska and Delta use to be pretty close partners. If you had a sky club you could always use the Alaska club.

Yep. They had a bad divorce when Delta tried to horn in on Seattle - Alaska's home turf. It was ugly. Now Alaska is loosely aligned with American, but they had to cut that back too when they bought Virgin America. The American Admiral's clubs are really nice though.

CaptStash....

joosttx
07-18-2019, 09:45 PM
Yep. They had a bad divorce when Delta tried to horn in on Seattle - Alaska's home turf. It was ugly. Now Alaska is loosely aligned with American, but they had to cut that back too when they bought Virgin America. The American Admiral's clubs are really nice though.

CaptStash....

How things change.... especially in the airline biz.

shinomaster
07-18-2019, 11:02 PM
Ok, So I might fly home to Elmira NY see my dad with my bike on Delta.. is this on all flight routs?

fa63
07-19-2019, 06:32 AM
I am pretty sure it is on all routes.

delish
08-05-2019, 11:12 AM
I've got a quick trip on Delta this week and thinking about packing a road bike in an old Trico Ironcase.

If I'm reading the fine print correctly as long as: 1) the flight was booked after July 17th (it was); 2) the case is below 115" length + width + height (it is); and 3) it does not exceed 50 lbs (this one may be close), then I should only have to pay the standard $30 checked bag fee.

Has anybody actually flown with a bike on Delta since they eliminated the extra bike fees?

htwoopup
08-05-2019, 02:27 PM
Interesting...I was going to ship my bike to San Diego for the 5 days that I am there for the step kid’s graduation via either ship bikes or bike flights.

But now I am thinking of bringing it on Delta (which I am flying anyway)...Only thing is I have a Buxum Tourmalet box which means that I need to change the car reservation so I can fit it in the rental...but it seems that it would still be cheaper.

Just don’t know about dealing with the aluminium box gettting to JFK....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

seanile
08-05-2019, 03:27 PM
Interesting...I was going to ship my bike to San Diego for the 5 days that I am there for the step kid’s graduation via either ship bikes or bike flights.

But now I am thinking of bringing it on Delta (which I am flying anyway)...Only thing is I have a Buxum Tourmalet box which means that I need to change the car reservation so I can fit it in the rental...but it seems that it would still be cheaper.

Just don’t know about dealing with the aluminium box gettting to JFK....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
careful with the weight limit