PDA

View Full Version : OT Question regarding product testing and a Suzuki sv650

Tony
07-17-2019, 02:54 PM
I have been looking for a 2017 sv650 and considering this bike. The bike is owned by Dale Walker from Holeshot Performance. He buys new stock bikes yearly then develops and test his products on them before selling the bike.
The bike looks like new, has 888 miles on it and lots of his aftermarket parts, $3200. He's had this bike up for sell off and on for the last two months. Looking at his asking price this bike should have sold, what am I missing? Does testing products, including dyno time hard on a bike?

https://reno.craigslist.org/mcy/d/yerington-2017-suzuki-sv650-trick-new/6927119930.html

David Tollefson
07-17-2019, 03:13 PM
If it were a stock SV650 at $3200 (as I was surmising from your post), I'd have said JUMP ON IT NOW! SV650 is a nice all-around bike. I had a 2005 SV650s (the faired version), and loved it. Actually regret selling it. The Duc I have now is nice, but I still prefer the engine response and handling of the SV.... ANYwho... He's asking $6950, which is high. One of the things about selling a used bike (and he only states 888 STREET miles -- how many more on the track?) is that you're better off returning it to stock and selling the aftermarket stuff separately -- it frankly has no bearing on the value of a bike in a used-market sale.

As for the product testing... With the few miles on it, I'd wonder about the appropriate break-in period on the bike and how the bike was ridden within that period. I would think that "product testing" probably takes the bike up to its limits, or close, which isn't recommended in that break-in period. But I'm just surmising here.

But if you get it, color me jealous.

Tony
07-17-2019, 03:43 PM
If it were a stock SV650 at $3200 (as I was surmising from your post), I'd have said JUMP ON IT NOW! SV650 is a nice all-around bike. I had a 2005 SV650s (the faired version), and loved it. Actually regret selling it. The Duc I have now is nice, but I still prefer the engine response and handling of the SV.... ANYwho... He's asking $6950, which is high. One of the things about selling a used bike (and he only states 888 STREET miles -- how many more on the track?) is that you're better off returning it to stock and selling the aftermarket stuff separately -- it frankly has no bearing on the value of a bike in a used-market sale.

As for the product testing... With the few miles on it, I'd wonder about the appropriate break-in period on the bike and how the bike was ridden within that period. I would think that "product testing" probably takes the bike up to its limits, or close, which isn't recommended in that break-in period. But I'm just surmising here.

But if you get it, color me jealous.

I was told by Dale that its never seen any track time, 888 miles total on the bike. I'm almost certain I can get the bike for $6500.
Thinking the same thing regarding product testing and taking the bike to its limits. Tuning and developing an exhaust system the bike has to go to its limits many times before the designer in satisfied.
I did some searching on break-in and came across this video, interesting as I have always followed the manufactures instructions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpoglovyy_8&t=397s
Thanks

benb
07-17-2019, 04:31 PM
Sounds like a pretty good deal.

I had a 2001 SV650 back in the day and put a lot of happy miles on it.

Unless he was doing stuff like testing custom camshafts on it where he had the engine opened up a lot or something I'd probably not worry about it. If it was more tame stuff like power commanders, exhausts, etc.. that's pretty low risk. If it was race parts like rearsets, handlebars, brakes, etc.. probably even less of a concern. Just looking at the Holeshot Performance page their are very few products they look like they sell that should be very concerning.

Even if it saw track days I'd probably not worry about it at that price. Bikes are not at all like sports cars most of them handle track days without breaking a sweat. Unless it's an expert racer on the track most track day guys aren't even stressing the bike much at all on a track day.