PDA

View Full Version : Standard English BB for Over Torque?

YesNdeed
07-16-2019, 01:36 PM
I'm trying to find a use for my Comp Ultra cranks, and I could use them on my cross/gravel setup, but I can't find a standard cups with bearings for these particular cranks. A quick search for Campy part # OC14-COS1G finds the cups, but I'm pretty sure Campy made a full BB for these before they were discontinued. Doesn't look like Wheels MFG. makes a solution. Any ideas, or even better, anyone have one laying around? :help:

tuscanyswe
07-16-2019, 01:39 PM
I recently bought one of those over torque threaded bbs on ebay but it was the first i saw for a really long time anywhere actually. They are hard to come by. But in theory these below should work but i havent tested myself. I would have tho had i not found a campy one just the other day.

https://www.bikester.se/fsa-megaevo-road-vevlager-o30-mm-groen-brun-516340.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7PmO9oq64wIViJSyCh3J 7AWlEAQYASABEgJ4R_D_BwE&_cid=21_1_-1_9_435_516340_%7Bcreative%7D_%7Bifpla:pla%7D&ef_id=EAIaIQobChMI7PmO9oq64wIViJSyCh3J7AWlEAQYASAB EgJ4R_D_BwE&ev_chn=shop

tuscanyswe
07-16-2019, 05:10 PM
I think i may have a rotor ceramic bb that could work as well. Had not thought about that before ha. Those are quite expensive but if you would be interested i can check if it will fit the campy over torque i have another set of ot arms i can test them on.

I know rotor makes these in steel as well so i guess those could be an option to the fsa i mentioned above as well.

YesNdeed
07-16-2019, 06:43 PM
I think i may have a rotor ceramic bb that could work as well. Had not thought about that before ha. Those are quite expensive but if you would be interested i can check if it will fit the campy over torque i have another set of ot arms i can test them on.

I know rotor makes these in steel as well so i guess those could be an option to the fsa i mentioned above as well.

Oh wow, that would awesome if you could check! As memory serves me, there’s a tricky little lip or “step” surrounding the base of the spindle on the drive side which, I assume has to fit in the ID of the bearing. Thanks for help!

tuscanyswe
07-17-2019, 04:03 AM
Hmm dont recall any lip anywhere on the spindle. Unless you mean the plasting or white/yellow thingy next to the driveside arm but that rests against the bb and or spacers and act as a stop as far as i can remember so no need to get through the bb with that one.

tuscanyswe
07-17-2019, 04:54 AM
Anyways..

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48305906596_bd856335a2_b.jpg
Here is the picture of the campy bb for regular english treads with over torque cranks installed.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48306024712_8c7afef092_b.jpg
Here is a picture of the rotor bb with english threads for 30mm spindles. Rotor calls these BSA 30. It fits exactly the same as the campy bb only it is perhaps a tide wider. I would say 2mms.

Now when i installed my latest OT crankset the other day i had about 3-4mms worth of play or similar that i had to take out with the little rings they designed to take out play with that comes with the crankset and is always used when installing these cranks. Now weather or not a rotor might end up 1 or 2 mm to wide for certain set ups and frames is hard to tell without testing and im not about to install a crank i wont be using into new ceramics bearings i will be selling but my guess is that these would work pretty much perfect on my green IF frame above (apart from horror of the color matching..)

Now the first option i suggested. The FSA bb:
https://www.bikester.se/fsa-megaevo-road-vevlager-o30-mm-groen-brun-516340.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzITGy9W74wIVR9iyCh0u 0A7xEAQYASABEgLC4fD_BwE&_cid=21_1_-1_9_435_516340_%7Bcreative%7D_%7Bifpla:pla%7D&ef_id=EAIaIQobChMIzITGy9W74wIVR9iyCh0u0A7xEAQYASAB EgLC4fD_BwE&ev_chn=shop

Is a tad slimmer than the rotor and on par with the campy bb as far as visual width comparisons go, perhaps even a mm slimmer. or not. Regardless this would seem like the perfect fit replacing the campy bsa over torque bearings size wise. Quality wise i have no knowledges so i wont predict anything in this regard.

So as to make an even better case the FSA bb in the link above is designed to work with the bb386 cranks that has a spindle length of pretty much the same as the campy. Its actually a tad shorter perhaps so maybe one in worst case scenario would need another seal or spacer if the the original campy ring designed to take out the play on the axle is not enough (which i believe is a very little chance).

This said i have not yet tried any of it on a full install.. But i would be suprised if not both of those options would work or at the very least FSA bb.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48306022617_7551f5e318_z.jpg
bb386 on the left side above (obviously).

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48305990611_907448353c_b.jpg
Pic of Campy over torque spindle length.

Good luck!

YesNdeed
07-17-2019, 10:15 AM
Hmm dont recall any lip anywhere on the spindle. Unless you mean the plasting or white/yellow thingy next to the driveside arm but that rests against the bb and or spacers and act as a stop as far as i can remember so no need to get through the bb with that one.

Yup, the drive side thingy. I guess I figured it ought to embed, but your picture proves it just butts up against the bearing. And all your other pics and measures are convincing enough for me to give the FSA BB a try! Just ordered that, and the burliest $35 29" MTB tire I could find from Competitive. The tire is unrelated to the BB concern, but I need one, and it got me free 2 day shipping. Tuscan pal, thanks so much for all the help! I'll report back with my findings.

tuscanyswe
07-17-2019, 10:39 AM
Happy to help. Hope it works great!

tuscanyswe
08-31-2019, 03:36 AM
So how did it go?

YesNdeed
09-25-2019, 11:35 AM
So how did it go?

And we have contact!! I was starting to think the day would never come. I haven't ridden yet, but the BB you recommended looks like a perfect fit. No wobbling at all. Thanks again for the all the research!

ultraman6970
09-25-2019, 11:42 AM
Do you have the tool to remove the arm?

YesNdeed
09-25-2019, 12:00 PM
Do you have the tool to remove the arm?

Nnnope. Without it I'll probably have to throw the bike away when the crank fails :crap:

tuscanyswe
09-25-2019, 01:33 PM
Glad to hear it and glad i could help.

I got an extra of those removers if you are ever in a dire situation..