PDA

View Full Version : West coast, East coast; It's all good...

AngryScientist
07-16-2019, 12:10 PM
I spent last week out, for the most part in rural Oregon and Washington. No bike this trip but plenty of time outdoors. This is following a recent trip to Yosemite, cycling in Sonoma county, hiking in Marin county, etc....

I started to get a little jealous. Man, the west has some great access to outrageously gorgeous outdoor spaces. The quiet back roads, the mountains, the rivers, the vistas.

on the plane ride home, i snapped myself out of my misery and reminded myself that the east coast has plenty of envious terrain of it's own. I decided on the plane that the only antidote to my self induced pity party was to blow off work on Monday and get out to the [Green] mountains.

It worked. The east coast is pretty grand too! :)

Anyway, looking at instagram will always make you think someone lives someplace cooler than you, but most places have some spectacular outdoor spaces all their own.

That is all :banana:

https://scontent-lga3-1.cdninstagram.com/vp/dfaf960fffcdfb13ad4d7175d799b1d4/5DB9DCF5/t51.2885-15/e35/66786412_1083086005413273_2380294650784568426_n.jp g?_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.cdninstagram.com

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/--_LPjwNXMSI/XS4EnLKa4rI/AAAAAAAADO8/_O-zE-toXyk5yGa8L-hZsilX7eBoEbuIgCLcBGAs/s1200/IMG_4178.jpg

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-15Ti7gjwHZo/XS4EnXRIkeI/AAAAAAAADO4/i3wQc2-pNiELNBsIUR_MkeJ06u5SfxE3QCLcBGAs/s1200/IMG_4184.jpg

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-henMqXxJuI4/XS4EnTST8vI/AAAAAAAADPA/0wE80rod2MEjsF1P8m8nPqtOROY_fuJCwCLcBGAs/s1200/IMG_4185.jpg

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-EoRNTNWHrVs/XS4Enk22IyI/AAAAAAAADPE/iZptMDq-OHM3K4gqp-OT3tQCN0DfEABewCLcBGAs/s1200/IMG_4186.jpg

FlashUNC
07-16-2019, 12:11 PM
Does this make Houston the Tupac to your Biggie Smalls?

Please don't escalate the feud to drive-by vengeance shootings.

parris
07-16-2019, 12:16 PM
Angry I had a very similar thought while riding Sunday. I really do live in a very pretty area with an abundance of roads that are within 10 minutes of my front door.

It's the grass is always greener deal I think. Thanks for sharing the photos!

AngryScientist
07-16-2019, 12:16 PM

my ride by water bottle squirt is viscous.

Jaybee
07-16-2019, 12:29 PM
my ride by water bottle squirt is viscous.

What exactly is in that bottle? :eek:

FlashUNC
07-16-2019, 12:36 PM

40 weight.

Mr. Pink
07-16-2019, 12:39 PM
West is grand and gorgeous. Spent a lot of time in a lot of places skiing and biking. But, I still think the east has the best road biking. CNY, Hudson valley, Asheville and the Blue Ridge, various rolling farming regions. I think because there are just many more roads, and so many are so well maintained. You dont find much of that out west, it's just up and down mountain passes, sharing them with all other traffic, because, well, that's the only road. Velotel's posts have been eye opening to me by showing me that vast network of paved and well maintained roads high in the Alps. We just don't have that here in our western mountains.

AngryScientist
07-16-2019, 12:45 PM

lol. damn auto correct.

Blue Jays
07-16-2019, 12:49 PM
Sweet pics! I just wanna' ride instead of being chained to a desk. :banana:

Mzilliox
07-16-2019, 01:10 PM
i take the same picture over and over. im just facing the camera a new direction. theres only one pretty road here, and i ride it all the time.

i always envy those sexy cottage roads out east

AngryScientist
07-16-2019, 01:14 PM
i always envy those sexy cottage roads out east

if you look closely, there is a sexy little log cabin on the other side of that engineering marvel of a bridge in one of those pictures. pretty awesome "off the grid" spot!

bob heinatz
07-16-2019, 01:31 PM
I live in Oregon and yes there is some great scenic riding opportunities but our whole country is marvelous with great riding all over.

avalonracing
07-16-2019, 01:43 PM
When I'm riding in traffic in a 105ºF heat index tomorrow eve I'll try and remember how great the East Coast in July is.

weisan
07-16-2019, 02:31 PM
I have lived in several places. They all have their "pros and cons". What you think is paradise, I guarantee you will find someone who currently lives there that "totally hated it!"

That's just the way it goes.

Bradford
07-16-2019, 03:02 PM
...get out to the [Green] mountains...

I took my kids to the Adirondacks last year. Sitting outside at a restaurant, by son asked me "why do they call these mountains? They just look like hills"

I'm all in for a Biggie/Tupac style feud with the flat-landers.

prototoast
07-16-2019, 03:11 PM
I've lived in New England, Oregon, and California (Bay Area). Here's what I like and don't like about each:

New England: what I love about New England is that there are so many small roads. In many areas, there are virtually limitless ways to get from A to B, with many of the roads having almost no traffic. The biggest downside to me is the weather, with outdoor riding so difficult in the winter.

California (Bay Area): the natural terrain here is incredible, as long as you like long climbs--I am particularly fond of the Santa Cruz mountains, climbing through the redwoods. The downside is that car traffic is so bad in many places, and there are relatively few roads connecting many places, forcing cyclists to either share the road with a ****load of cars, or just avoid otherwise excellent rides entirely.

Oregon: Probably a compromise between California and New England. Not as many good road options as New England, but probably more than California. Outdoor riding is viable 12 months a year, but sucks for 8 of those months. Pretty good terrain overall.

If New England terrain had California weather, that would be my top choice, but for now I'm not ready to move back east.

srcarter
07-16-2019, 03:24 PM
All coasts are equal, but some coasts are more equal than others.

joosttx
07-16-2019, 03:28 PM

Like Tupac, I am better looking.

Takes me about 1:15 hr:min to get to this spot on my bike from my front door.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/47922277287_449a4df513_b.jpg

Takes me about 35 minutes in a car to get to one of the great economic centers in the world while crossing one of the most beautiful bridges in the world. Takes me about 40 minutes to get me to a beach where I see seals and I can drink beer doing it. I like the west coast. Instagram doesn’t make me jealous. I’m have found my paradise,

Dave Ferris
07-17-2019, 12:28 AM
I've lived in LA for 40.5 years after coming from STL at age 25. So I know about cold and humidity. The only time I don't run outdoors is when the air is bad from fires ( more frequent then in the past unfortunately), or it's a downpour all day (rare).

If I lived back East , I wouldn't be tough enough to brave the winter elements like some friends do, running outside. Pretty certain I'd go with a treadmill.

I identify more with the East Coast vibe in Jazz. Mainly the time feel and energy. Many extraordinarily great musicians in LA but NYC and surrounding areas are just different.

bironi
07-17-2019, 02:14 AM
I've lived in LA for 40.5 years after coming from STL at age 25. So I know about cold and humidity. The only time I don't run outdoors is when the air is bad from fires ( more frequent then in the past unfortunately), or it's a downpour all day (rare).

If I lived back East , I wouldn't be tough enough to brave the winter elements like some friends do, running outside. Pretty certain I'd go with a treadmill.

I identify more with the East Coast vibe in Jazz. Mainly the time feel and energy. Many extraordinarily great musicians in LA but NYC and surrounding areas are just different.

Nice post.
Thanks

R3awak3n
07-17-2019, 05:38 AM
Lets not forget about fall, nothing compares to the north east. Both coasts are awesome and have their pros and cons. Sorry middle of the country :)

But seriously, the only downfall of the north east is winter. Then again, some people love it but just not for me. I do love seeing the snow for a day or 2 then I am over it and the cold. I have lived out west, seattle, for 5 years. PNW is nice but the winter is also brutal for different reasons. I think cali ppl have it good when it comes to that and more than the places and vistas, its what I envy most.

As a non US citizen, its pretty beautiful over here no matter where you are

Likes2ridefar
07-17-2019, 07:45 AM
Lived in the NE for most my life, NYC for a big chunk of that, but easy access to Nw CT for riding where my parents lived.

Now in Arizona for about two years, it is highly unlikely I will ever be back east for living. The road riding is ok...but the gravel and dirt are infinitely better, IMO, with a zillion miles of gravel to ride. Stunning views, near perfect weather (heat doesn’t bother me), easy access to the beach out west, Vegas nw, and huge mountains in every direction...only ways I go east are no choice or a LOT of money for a few years to fill the coffers to enable returning west for retirement.

And now after moving to old town Scottsdale my commute went from good to near perfect with 9 of the 11 miles on a greenway and zero traffic exposure the entire way.

Lanternrouge
07-17-2019, 08:15 AM
I live in north San Diego County and I'm always envious of other people's ride pictures. People manage to find great rides pretty much everywhere.

boywander
07-17-2019, 08:45 AM
A few weeks ago I drove through national forest in VT and stopped at an overlook view. The “green mountains” were breathtaking and all worth the 7-8 hr drive.
I’ve been on the west coast and ridden some in San Diego which was very nice.
The climate/roads is envious and a great change in scenery too. But I do like copious trees on mountains rather than barren hills. I won’t mentioned Houston but will say Austin is definitely a great place to ride.

Kirk007
07-17-2019, 08:46 AM
Having grown up in Pennsylvania, college in Virginia, ski bum then law student in Colorado and now 30 years in the Pacific NW I agree with most of the folks who have already pointed out the pros and cons of east coast - west coast road riding. I have it pretty good on Bainbridge Island - fairly decent roads, relatively fewer asshat drivers - but the rain is tiresome (says the guy watching Le Tour and typing this while looking out the window at another rainy day in July; maybe summer will be here in August).

But from a road riding perspective I think Velotel has us all beat. The longer history and patterns of development that has resulted in the networks of thousands of small roads with little traffic, drivers that are generally either more tolerant, more skilled or both than U.S. drivers, cultures that respect and recognize cycling, your average village bar vs 7-Eleven; if I could figure out how to afford it and to stay in good enough shape I'd rarely ride on the road here and just go to Europe for a couple months each year. The places I've ridden in France and Italy are just that much better.

Matthew
07-17-2019, 09:32 PM
Hey, the middle isn't so bad! Well kind of middle anyway, here in Michigan. Some very nice riding, especially in northern Michigan. Plenty of hills, country roads and some great lake views. There's plenty of good mountain bike trails, like the VASA trail used in the Iceman. Lots of good tours and races. The gravel segment is also very popular here. And if you don't mind the cold and snow, there's some great fat biking. Just wish winter wasn't so long.

peanutgallery
07-17-2019, 09:48 PM
At $120 or so a square foot, trails/roads/skiing minutes from the front door, 90 mins to Dc/Baltimore, 2 hours to Philadelphia, touch more to NYC, neighborhood elementary, minimal traffic, brew pubs/food galore. I'll take a bit of humidity and seasonal weather.

When Mothra and Godzilla finally face off, the Bay Area is going to be a wreck. NYC or DC? Stay there and leave us alone:)

joosttx
07-17-2019, 10:41 PM
Hey, the middle isn't so bad! Well kind of middle anyway, here in Michigan. Some very nice riding, especially in northern Michigan. Plenty of hills, country roads and some great lake views. There's plenty of good mountain bike trails, like the VASA trail used in the Iceman. Lots of good tours and races. The gravel segment is also very popular here. And if you don't mind the cold and snow, there's some great fat biking. Just wish winter wasn't so long.

Some of my favorite MTB trails are in central MO. If it were not for where I live. I would be focusing on Colorado or nearby. Georgia, NC has great riding too.

Bisquik
07-17-2019, 11:16 PM
What! No hatelove for the Midwest. Actually, the photos are better than I could take

Spaghetti Legs
07-18-2019, 07:16 PM
A couple of weeks ago I did a 6 day tour with friends from Seattle to Portland through the Cascades. We rode most of the way along the Snoqualmie, Yakima and Columbia Rivers. I live next to the Blue Ridge mountains and absolutely love the riding and scenery here, but was blown away by the riding and scenery on this trip! Of course, early November I’ll be riding in knee and arm warmers while riding in the Cascades will be a challenge, but maybe that’s what cross country skis are for. However PNW seems a lot more appealing, especially with summers here now starting in late April. Yesterday I rode the Blue Ridge Parkway to beat the heat and it was still 90 degrees at 3000 feet. if I could snap my fingers and live anywhere it would probably be out West, although Italy or France (bike lanes in the Alps!) is on the list as well.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48311483797_5335b1b02d_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2gB7YZc)

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48311470287_09a1e02b89_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2gB7UYg)

R3awak3n
07-18-2019, 08:23 PM
summer in the PNW is the best in the world and that is that.

robertbb
07-18-2019, 08:35 PM
summer in the PNW is the best in the world and that is that.

As an Aussie (Melbournian) who lived in Vancouver for a year in '05 (and spent a good deal of time in Seattle and Portland), I'd have to agree....

Except one small yet important detail: Summer there lasts 1-2 months and the rest is "Winter". :p