PDA

View Full Version : OT: Heading home!

Tom Kellogg
12-13-2006, 05:25 PM
I know that there are quite a few of you that need to travel on occasion for work. I know, I know, stop complaining, it is work. But after three days of necessary but very tiring travel, intense meetings, food that I am not used to, etc, I am so happy to be heading home, soon to see June again. I feel for Ben, Andrew and the rest of the frequent travelers. Yes, we do the time because we believe in what we are doing, but as we get older, it does get somewhat harder and I miss home and my family more each time.

SO! If you hear that Ben's traveling support show is going to be in your area for an event or talk, show up, let them know how much you appreciate what they do and wish them a safe and speedy trip HOME. My thoughts go out to all those on the road. Take care.

saab2000
12-13-2006, 05:41 PM
For those who live 'on the road' home is a nice place indeed and we may only see it once in a while.

Your home, Tom, is very nice. I visited once before to your barn (you might not remember, but I do) and I hope to visit again.

I will be going home to Appleton, WI this weekend I hope after spending nights in Raleigh, San Francisco, Greensboro and Washington DC in the past 7 days......

Appleton is really home. Where my folks live and where I was when I was 6 years old.

The other one in Switzerland will see me in February.

Welcome home to The Barn!!

Wayne77
12-13-2006, 06:08 PM
Yes, it will be nice to be home for the Holidays. I do have one more business trip this month to Minneapolis. However, I'm determined to get Gold status with Delta again so I can rack up all the free miles and upgrades next year. I need 6000 more miles before 12/31. So what do I do?

Well...Instead of booking the normal round trip which only nets me 2900 miles, I booked a multi-stop trip on the way out and on the way back:

12/17: SLC > Denver > Cincinatti > Minneapolis

12/19: Minneapolis > Atlanta > Vegas > SLC.

The ticket price was actually cheaper than the SLC - MSP direct flight, but I get 6200 miles out of the deal. CHA-CHING!! (The three leg trips are gonna bite though..)

I'm going to find a nice long book for all the layover and air time. My laptop battery won't last near that long... I'm sure I'm not the only one going to such idiotic lengths to snag frequent flyer status before the end of the year... :D

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Kevin
12-13-2006, 06:13 PM
In 2005 I spent 147 days on the road, three large arbitrations. :crap: :crap: In 2006 I spent zero days on the road. :banana: :banana:

Kevin

Len J
12-13-2006, 06:27 PM
In 2005 I spent 147 days on the road, three large arbitrations. :crap: :crap: In 2006 I spent zero days on the road. :banana: :banana:

Kevin

In soo6 I will have spent 210 days on the road, down from 2005!

Home is a wonderful place.

Len

Bradford
12-13-2006, 06:29 PM
I wake up at 3:45 every Monday morning to fly out (to Houston, these days), and fly home on Thursday night. Every week. Not seeing my wife and son are the hardest parts, but the rest is close.

In my line of work we have a saying, the only 5 star hotel is home.

Dorothy was right, there's no place like home.

Joel
12-13-2006, 06:39 PM
I'm just over 125,000 all domestic miles just on Delta this year, and I'm really hoping that is it so that I get a few miles on the bike, rather than the butt! My goal is to make a 12/20 MSP biz trip go away!! :crap:

Anyway, get a good book for that milage run...I feel for you.

Joel

Wayne77
12-13-2006, 08:01 PM
I'm just over 125,000 all domestic miles just on Delta this year

Yikes. I hope I never make Platinum anymore. Platinum = no social life* :)

*Besides the fact that Delta has watered down Platinum so much that it is isn't worth it anymore.

Wishing everyone here a nice Holiday season with as little airport time as possible!

slowgoing
12-13-2006, 08:54 PM
Very nice post, Tom.

I was in Japan last week. Finally getting used to food, but not the 11 hour flight or how polite the people are.

Kevan
12-14-2006, 06:02 PM
Last business trip of 2006. I can't complain about this past trip's location.