PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for new commuter/errand bike

Tommasini53
07-14-2019, 10:47 PM
I'm using my bike for commuting and errands more and more these days; its kind of my easy riding days during the week. I can commute to work and run most shopping errands in about a 4 mile radius of my house. Since I've made this part of my existence now I'd like to upgrade my commuter ride. Currently using a "Motobecane" single speed cyclo-cross with flat bars. Works well, but I'd like a change.

I've seen the Shinola Runwell online..wow, really nice AND its $3k. https://www.shinola.com/the-runwell-bicycle.html

I'm curious if Forumites know of frame sources with a lower price tag? Wants are steel frame, room for fenders, and baskets. Single speed would be great.

Any ideas??

Bisquik
07-14-2019, 10:57 PM
I like to stick local so being from Wisconsin I have a 1x10 Sram force Gunnar Fastlane disc with 35mm tires and fenders from Portland Design Works. Almost went with handsome cycles for accessories. No complaints , I love commuting to work.

zennmotion
07-14-2019, 11:11 PM
The thing about older classic frames with horizontal dropouts for SS conversions, other than the total cool factor :cool:, is that they actually work better with fenders than track dropouts as it's easier to remove the rear wheel. Something like a Bianchi San Jose comes to mind if you really want the rear facing dropouts, but I would look for an older something in 531 or SL like a Raleigh, Peugeot, Gazelle or an 80s vintage Japanese garage queen with generous wheel clearance that would be fun to convert to fixed/SS and ride every day to work.

miguel
07-14-2019, 11:55 PM
Find an old cross frame and get a low trail fork and a wald basket.

Low trail fork from endpoint is like $250 I think

Pelican
07-15-2019, 01:14 AM
I've seen the Shinola Runwell online..wow, really nice AND its $3k. https://www.shinola.com/the-runwell-bicycle.html

I'm curious if Forumites know of frame sources with a lower price tag? Wants are steel frame, room for fenders, and baskets. Single speed would be great.

Any ideas??

If you don't need the gears, Shinola makes a 3-speed with the same frame. They even have an entry-level single-speed model.

I use my wife's Shinola Bixby almost daily. It's the bike I ride the most out of all the bikes in the garage. Don't let the "Women's" designation stop you.

Malinois
07-15-2019, 01:58 AM
I had a Salsa Casseroll that checked off all of your boxes and was a pretty great bike. Steel, easily fit 35’s under fenders, horizontal dropouts, multiple eyelets, basket-ready, convertible from drops to flats and SS to geared. Sweet ride for commuting.

oldpotatoe
07-15-2019, 06:12 AM
I'm using my bike for commuting and errands more and more these days; its kind of my easy riding days during the week. I can commute to work and run most shopping errands in about a 4 mile radius of my house. Since I've made this part of my existence now I'd like to upgrade my commuter ride. Currently using a "Motobecane" single speed cyclo-cross with flat bars. Works well, but I'd like a change.

Any ideas??

http://gunnarbikes.com/site/bikes/street-dog/

JAGI410
07-16-2019, 09:58 AM
It doesn't get much better

https://surlybikes.com/bikes/cross_check

It's cheap(ish), bombproof, powdercoated, rust-resistant. Lock it up all day, let the stickers get peeled off, ride to the bar, ride it across country. Amazingly easy to customize, fits huge tires.

Frankwurst
07-16-2019, 05:51 PM
Rivendell Simple One or Quickbeam if you can find someone willing to part with one.:beer:

jtakeda
07-16-2019, 05:54 PM
I feel like this a good use of a 650b conversion

sonicCows
07-16-2019, 06:17 PM
The thing about older classic frames with horizontal dropouts for SS conversions, other than the total cool factor :cool:, is that they actually work better with fenders than track dropouts as it's easier to remove the rear wheel. Something like a Bianchi San Jose comes to mind if you really want the rear facing dropouts, but I would look for an older something in 531 or SL like a Raleigh, Peugeot, Gazelle or an 80s vintage Japanese garage queen with generous wheel clearance that would be fun to convert to fixed/SS and ride every day to work.

Make sure they're actual horizontal dropouts and that bolt-on skewers are used, I destroyed some fenders when my QR slipped in some semi-horizontal dropouts.

Tommasini53
07-17-2019, 07:43 AM
I forgot to mention that I do have a Gunnar Rockhound (26") mtb gather dust. And this may be a good option by converting it to single speed with fenders and racks. I wondered if a 650b conversion is needed>

What S.S. conversion kits have you had success with?

chiasticon
07-17-2019, 07:53 AM
got one of these recently and love it: https://www.raleighusa.com/carlton

my goal was just a bike for riding short-ish distances in normal street clothes/shoes, to run to the store/coffee shop/bar. and something cheap enough that I don't mind locking it up unattended, or leaving in my garage. it fits the bill beautifully. not the sexiest ride in the world, but it's great for what it is.

only item not on your list is fenders. it has mounts and will fit them, but they don't come with the bike.

oldpotatoe
07-17-2019, 08:09 AM
I forgot to mention that I do have a Gunnar Rockhound (26") mtb gather dust. And this may be a good option by converting it to single speed with fenders and racks. I wondered if a 650b conversion is needed>

What S.S. conversion kits have you had success with?

Handfull of cogset spacers...a set of track CR bolts...take the outer and inner ring off..use the middle position(if a triple)...put a single cog of your choosing in back surrounded by spacers..add a lockring..put chain on..if you need to get chain tension right....a modified rear der or a shimano chain tensioner..done-go ride.

If ya want to get inventive and have a bit more flexibility..do a 2by..SS cog in back, front der and 2 CRs..chain tensioner or rear der, find a top mount friction thrumby for the front der..use any front der......:)