PDA

View Full Version : Valencia, Spain - thoughts? Or where to go for a cycling vacation?

Clancy
07-14-2019, 06:59 AM
I’m thinking of Valencia, Spain in September/October time frame for a 2 week cycling vacation.

I’ve been twice to the Tuscany, staying in a small town south of Pisa that allowed beautiful and varied cycling in the area with all that Tuscany has to offer, scenery, history, weather, and food.

I’ve thought of Girona but thinking Valencia will offer more activities/attractions.

Primary focus will be cycling. Looking for a location where I can use it as a hub for riding but also where I can go out and explore the culture. Never been to Spain.

But also thinking Genoa, Italy.

I’m concerned that the size of Valencia might not make it that easy to get to the countryside for rides.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Bentley
07-14-2019, 09:09 AM
It’s awesome, food is great, people are friendly. Cycling should be good.

Girona is great for cycling. I think you will have a great time. If you don’t speak Spanish worthwhile to pick up a few basic words and phrases. Generally, outside of Madrid and Barcelona English might not get you far.

Have a great time.

Ray

rain dogs
07-14-2019, 09:44 AM
What type of riding do you like?
Flatter, longer distances? Rolling with not much climbing? Even mix of climbing and flat? Mostly mountains? Mostly brutally hard climbing all day every day?

and weather?
Hot as heck and dry? Hot and Humid as heck? Warm with possible wet?

Mr. Pink
07-14-2019, 07:07 PM
Valencia may bore you over two weeks, both culturally and cycling. Spanish beach towns are Heaven's waiting rooms for northern Europeans, much like our Florida. I'd go with Girona, close to Barcelona for culture, and very established bike culture. Rent a car, and venture into Basque country and the Pyrenees.

rain dogs
07-15-2019, 12:51 AM
Valencia may bore you over two weeks, both culturally and cycling. Spanish beach towns are Heaven's waiting rooms for northern Europeans, much like our Florida. I'd go with Girona, close to Barcelona for culture, and very established bike culture. Rent a car, and venture into Basque country and the Pyrenees.

Valencia is hardly the typical "Spanish Beach town". It's the Capital of an autonomous community and is the third biggest metro in Spain ~3million. That's like saying San Francisco is a beach town or Barcelona is a beach town because they have beaches. Also, driving to the Basque country sounds nice, but that's like 650-800km. The Basque country from Girona is quite a bit further than Girona from Valencia is and there aren't high speed train connections.

Sure, Valencia has beaches, but it's more, it's a very important city in Spain culturally, architecturally and gastronomically.

Girona on the other hand, may have a active cycling scene, but so do many places in Spain and Girona is almost a pueblo... with not even 100,000 population. It's tiny and pretty dead at night.

It depends on the balance of 'culture/tourism' and cycling desired. Valencia, you're there. Girona, you'll likely end up going to Barcelona which is only 1 hour away by train.... which is a big plus. But outside of cycling, Girona doesn't offer a ton and it's just one zone of great cycling in Spain.... of which there are lots.

The negative IMHO is the humidity in Valencia that time of year.... it's like 80% avg, and it's quite hot especially due to the humidity.

nachetetm
07-15-2019, 04:06 AM
I’m thinking of Valencia, Spain in September/October time frame for a 2 week cycling vacation.

I’ve been twice to the Tuscany, staying in a small town south of Pisa that allowed beautiful and varied cycling in the area with all that Tuscany has to offer, scenery, history, weather, and food.

I’ve thought of Girona but thinking Valencia will offer more activities/attractions.

Primary focus will be cycling. Looking for a location where I can use it as a hub for riding but also where I can go out and explore the culture. Never been to Spain.

I’m concerned that the size of Valencia might not make it that easy to get to the countryside for rides.

Thoughts, suggestions?I've lived in Valencia more than 5 years. If your aim is riding, I would go somewhere else. It's very difficult to get in and out of the city by bike, and you will need to cover long distances before reaching interesting points. On the other side, Girona is nicer as a cycling spot because being smaller, you can easily get out of the city by bike and all the surroundings are great for riding. Valencia and Girona are both very interesting places, but for completely opposite reasons. Think very carefully what is your priority. If cycling, go to Girona. If you made your mind about Valencia, I would split your time: spend some days there, then drive 100-150kms south and spend the rest of the time in Denia, Villajoyosa or Altea. Those are lively and beautiful mediterranean towns with really great cycling around: wonderful roads, great climbs and no traffic. The excellent gastronomy and the nice weather are a plus. If you need more info don't hesitate to ask, I'm local ;-)

martl
07-15-2019, 07:05 AM

Thoughts, suggestions?

I spent a week once in Benidorm which is a touristy sunbathing spot (lots of hotels, everyone speaks english) about an hour from Valencia by car. Good riding in the hinterlands, down there its a bit more hilly than the direct vicitity of the city, which, if memory serves, is more of a flat marshlands.
Valencia itself has much more to offer, culturally (naturally!). Don't miss the museums (you can't :D), the maritime one is spectacular!

http://2xbfoj2syf6v618su1tpyfk5.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/8422970825_7c931d9bb6_k.jpg

The Genoa area did never strike me as particularily cyclistic. The coastal area is rather steep and doesn't have a lot of small roads, which means those that exist will be trafficky. And i imagine getting out of the city is a nightmare. The Ligurian coast is a great MTB spot, as are the sea alps. For road biking, the Cuneo area is a good spot.

Clancy
07-15-2019, 07:17 AM
What type of riding do you like?
Flatter, longer distances? Rolling with not much climbing? Even mix of climbing and flat? Mostly mountains? Mostly brutally hard climbing all day every day?

and weather?
Hot as heck and dry? Hot and Humid as heck? Warm with possible wet?

Some good responses

The area I’ve stayed in Tuscany-Donaratico- is on the coast. I’ve been there during May and September and the weather is mild and low humidity, 60’s-80’s. The location allows plenty of flat/rolling terrain along the coast or head up into the hills for climbing. I found it ideal for doing out and back day rides. It was also easy to do a day trip to Pisa and Florence.

Donaratico shuts down at night which is ok. The routine of waking up to a good breakfast, going out for a 3-5 hour ride stopping for espresso and a pastry, taking a nap in the afternoon, reading, eating a big dinner, then doing it all over again - heaven.

I’m wanting to do the same type of trip but in a new area to explore. Valencia simply popped out when I read about it in a tourist piece. Girona actually seems ideal but I didn’t know if it’s become too much of a cycling Mecca. Example, there’s a beautiful small town in Mexico, San Miguel de Allende, that is so popular with Americans it’s lost much of its flavor.

Not set on Valencia. Looking for an area that replicates what I experienced in Donaratico. I have no first hand experience with any other areas in Europe. I’ve always wanted to explore Spain but also would love to go to northern Italy or southern France.

basilic
07-15-2019, 09:05 AM
I've cycled a bit in the area of Javea/Denia/Calpe, and it's nice, but 2 weeks would be a stretch.

If if was me I'd go to the North of Spain, San Sebastian, Oviedo. Beautiful mountains, small roads, plenty of culture (admittedly, you do not duplicate Tuscany in that regard). The Spaniards say that it rains, but in September the avg rainfall is less than Tuscany.

Someone mentioned Liguria - the western side between the French border and Imperia has excellent cycling, plenty of small roads in olive orchards, fortified villages, and Nice and Genoa for a few cultural days.

Mr. Pink
07-15-2019, 11:30 AM
Girona actually seems ideal but I didn’t know if it’s become too much of a cycling Mecca. Example, there’s a beautiful small town in Mexico, San Miguel de Allende, that is so popular with Americans it’s lost much of its flavor.

Not set on Valencia. Looking for an area that replicates what I experienced in Donaratico. I have no first hand experience with any other areas in Europe. I’ve always wanted to explore Spain but also would love to go to northern Italy or southern France.

Girona has always been a favorite among pros to live off season. Lance owned an apartment there in his heyday. Here's an article from the NYT in '05: https://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/12/travel/finding-nirvana-on-two-wheels.html?searchResultPosition=2 I kinda doubt that it's over run by tourists in the off tourist season. It has it's own 12th century neighborhoods, so, sounds pretty charming. Still a nice, relatively quiet outpost within an easy day trip by train to Barcelona, which is a place definitely inundated with tourists, so much so that there are protests against their presence.
Valencia is a small city, not known for much culture, and, as mentioned, it's hard to bike in and out of, and the surrounding area beyond is nothing to write home about, and hot as hell most of the year.

Can't help you with France, but, you may be disappointed in a lot of northern Italy after Tuscany. Como is awesome, but hard and steep, and the Veneto is primarily flat. If you want to stay in Italy, why not just move to a different home base in Tuscany? An AirB&B near Siena, or down near Montepulciano? Beautiful there. Easy access to Florence and even Rome.
But, if you want to sample a part of the Veneto, this place would be a great place to start: https://www.gardabikehotel.com/en I visited it on a drive from Venice to Como, and was impressed with the place. Well done, and the riding starts flattish and works up to serious climbs, if you want that. Just a few blocks to the train station that will get you to Verona, Vicenza and Padua quickly for the history/culture fix. Venice is a haul, but, doable as a day trip.

rain dogs
07-15-2019, 01:41 PM
Some good responses

The area I’ve stayed in Tuscany-Donaratico- is on the coast. I’ve been there during May and September and the weather is mild and low humidity, 60’s-80’s. The location allows plenty of flat/rolling terrain along the coast or head up into the hills for climbing. I found it ideal for doing out and back day rides. It was also easy to do a day trip to Pisa and Florence.

Donaratico shuts down at night which is ok. The routine of waking up to a good breakfast, going out for a 3-5 hour ride stopping for espresso and a pastry, taking a nap in the afternoon, reading, eating a big dinner, then doing it all over again - heaven.

I’m wanting to do the same type of trip but in a new area to explore. Valencia simply popped out when I read about it in a tourist piece. Girona actually seems ideal but I didn’t know if it’s become too much of a cycling Mecca. Example, there’s a beautiful small town in Mexico, San Miguel de Allende, that is so popular with Americans it’s lost much of its flavor.

Based on this, I'd maybe recommend the Basque Country, San Sebastian (Donostia) for example. for the following reasons:

1. The temperature will be similar but could be more wet.
2. It's a coastal town with great food and a nice laid back feel.
3. Bilbao 100km, Bairritz 50km, French Border 25km are close if you want other destinations with different culture/history
4. If you're more ambitious (or the weather turns) you're not far from Cantabria to the West where there is great cycling 200km to Santander.... nor from the Pyrenees to the East about 200km from Laruns at the foot of the Col D'Aubisque. All a bit farther than Donaratico to Florence but similar.

The riding in the North of Spain is notoriously tough..... getting harder the closer you get to Asturias (heading west).

Mr. Pink
07-15-2019, 03:21 PM
The Vuelta stages last year through Asturias were quite spectacular to watch. Bourdain's last season had an episode from that region. It's probably on your On Demand, maybe free.

Mr. Pink
07-15-2019, 03:27 PM
Speaking of France, check out Albi, in the south, where today's TDF stage finished. Gorgeous country, rolling hills, pretty town.

https://www.cyclingstage.com/tour-de-france-2019-route/

Check out the map. Lord knows what the back roads are like.

TimD
07-15-2019, 03:43 PM

nachetetm
07-15-2019, 05:23 PM
Based on this, I'd maybe recommend the Basque Country, San Sebastian (Donostia) for example. for the following reasons:

1. The temperature will be similar but could be more wet.
2. It's a coastal town with great food and a nice laid back feel.
3. Bilbao 100km, Bairritz 50km, French Border 25km are close if you want other destinations with different culture/history
4. If you're more ambitious (or the weather turns) you're not far from Cantabria to the West where there is great cycling 200km to Santander.... nor from the Pyrenees to the East about 200km from Laruns at the foot of the Col D'Aubisque. All a bit farther than Donaratico to Florence but similar.

The riding in the North of Spain is notoriously tough..... getting harder the closer you get to Asturias (heading west).

Those are all good suggestions. TBH, Cantabria and Asturias would be my top destination for cycling, but if the OP wants a lively city to be based, San Sebastián is difficult to beat.

It also seems that Mr.Pink has something personal against Valencia:-D Not only calls "small city" to the third largest populated city in Spain, but also "not known for much culture". NYT disagrees: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/06/12/travel/traveling-europe-summer-crowds.html

Regarding pros and spanish regions, the fact that Armstrong was based in Girona seems to carry a lot of mystic, but there are a few other regions with equal density of pros training during winter: Mallorca, Tarragona, Alicante, Tenerife and Granada are all of them very popular among pro teams. Last weekend i was doing a ride here in Alicante and when I uploaded the data to strava I found KOMs from Casper Pedersen, Marcus Burhardt and Greg Van Avermaet. Even Indurain has a house here, although I don't think he uses Strava 8-D

Mr. Pink
07-15-2019, 05:42 PM
Well, I'm from N.Y., so, yeah, small city. Heck, Madrid was small to me.

And I've been to Alicante. Nice town, but, again, too many old northern Euros there dying off. The old Brits have replica pubs and never bother learning Spanish. I'm watching that RE market, though, hoping Brexit makes opportunities.

ultraman6970
07-15-2019, 06:53 PM
Valencia?? hot girls out there man...

rbtmcardle
07-15-2019, 07:11 PM
If you’ll consider staying in Tuscany..I travel to this area several times a year for business. Always staying here https://castellodelleserre.com - small family run business. Fluent in English. Excellent bike shop nearby. Tuscan bills for miles and miles. 20 mins to Siena and a dozen other hill towns. And then let’s talk about wineries - Montalcino, Montepulciano, Chianti...all within an hour tops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Clancy
07-15-2019, 09:44 PM
If you’ll consider staying in Tuscany..I travel to this area several times a year for business. Always staying here https://castellodelleserre.com - small family run business. Fluent in English. Excellent bike shop nearby. Tuscan bills for miles and miles. 20 mins to Siena and a dozen other hill towns. And then let’s talk about wineries - Montalcino, Montepulciano, Chianti...all within an hour tops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Donaratico is due west on the coast. Indeed everything you say. I’m looking to replicate that vibe, small town, lots of varied cycling, but somewhere else than Tuscany.

San Sebastián looks promising, as does Albi.

Anyone familiar with good areas in Portugal?

Alicante looked ideal until I read its now a favorite port for cruise ships. The area looks like there is a lot of nice riding.