PDA

View Full Version : Wool Socks in the Summer

Lanternrouge
07-13-2019, 09:27 PM
I've read some things on the interwebs about folks saying wool socks are not only great for cool/cold weather, but also summer as well. What are your experiences? FWIW, it generally isn't all that hot here in the summer, though it can be if I go east enough.

ColonelJLloyd
07-13-2019, 09:36 PM
I'm all merino every day every season nowadays. Darn Tough and Smartwool. Thickness/weight and cushion chosen for the intended use. It gets hot here.

AngryScientist
07-13-2019, 09:42 PM
absolutely all year round wool sock user here.

wool moves moisture away from the body in excellent fashion. this works when it's cold as well as when its warm.

they are expensive, but i try and buy a few pairs of darn tough socks every now and then and wear them pretty much as often as they are clean. their warranty is no joke either. i have worn through a pair or three now (after long/hard use) and they replace them efficiently.

Ken Robb
07-13-2019, 09:56 PM
I like wool year-round too.

pbarry
07-13-2019, 10:07 PM
+1 here. Out in the weather year round for work. Three thicknesses for work, depending on the season, and one for cycling. I’ll wear cotton in the summer once in a while when laundry has piled up and usually regret it.. My favorite cycling socks are wool, branded ”DeMarchi”. Not too thin and mostly wool content. Would love more, but bought them on close out online and have been unable to find them again. Bulletproof over three seasons now and occasional work use.

Steve in SLO
07-13-2019, 10:34 PM
I wear Merino socks all 4 seasons. Rapha socks are great--super thin and reinforced at toes and heel with non-merino fabric. They're hard to kill. I have started wearing them under my regular shoes because they're so darn comfy. Darn Tough and Smartwool are also nice.

steveoz
07-13-2019, 11:01 PM
I might be the only dissenter here...but I'm a sockless S. Fla rider and I read all the advertised benefits of the wool socks - so I tried them (Defeet thin)- wore them on a ride and took them off after 10 miles- my feet were cookin'! Bear in mind it was 90+ degrees out...they were good for the cooler months (in the lower 80s..lol)

Blue Jays
07-13-2019, 11:36 PM
"...I'm a sockless..."
That practice reduces the lifespan of shoes by 60% or more. Oils, dirt, and sweat in direct contact.
The hot weather trick is to put Body Glide on the soles of your feet and then your high-quality socks.

A merino wool tee-shirt is worn everyday here, too.
It is garment money that is very well spent.

fellowsun
07-13-2019, 11:41 PM
Icebreaker merino socks have a lifetime guarantee. If you bring a pair in with holes in the toes they will swap it for a new pair free of charge.

They're the only socks I buy for this reason.

jimcav
07-13-2019, 11:45 PM
cycling, jogging, working

I try to wear merino wool shirts and anything else as much as i can. I like the temp mgmt, the feel, it doesn't bother my skin, it's durable and some stuff I've read makes it seem a more eco friendly product.

Mike Bryant
07-14-2019, 04:55 AM
Wool socks year round works for me too. Heavy sweater. Found some wool/ polypropylene blend socks from Sock Guy, white even, that I like for the Deep South summer. Otherwise using Smartwool, Darn Tough, others. Found out I like the 5-6” length better than the 3-4” styles as it tends to wick the sweat from my lower legs to prevent it from pooling in my shoes.
Which brings to mind my disdain for Sidi (which I love) “Vernice” (which I hate). But that’s another topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattTuck
07-14-2019, 05:23 AM
I wear Merino socks all 4 seasons. Rapha socks are great--super thin and reinforced at toes and heel with non-merino fabric. They're hard to kill. I have started wearing them under my regular shoes because they're so darn comfy. Darn Tough and Smartwool are also nice.

This forum is good for a laugh every now and then. Like when Steve in San Luis Obispo implies he has all 4 seasons. :). I love you Steve, but cmon!

marciero
07-14-2019, 06:01 AM
I only ever wear wool socks-for cycling and otherwise. Another plus one on Darn Tough. Semi local (VT). I think all of mine purchased in the last few years are DT, with one or two oddball exceptions.

Edit: Forgot about two pairs of Campagnolo socks that I've had twenty years and refuse to wear out. I dont wear them cycling though. They are some kind of cotton blend. They are pretty comfy. More importantly, they say "Campagnolo" on the ankle.

5oakterrace
07-14-2019, 06:18 AM
I wear wool socks all year, on bike and off. Watch out for the composition of socks sold as "wool." The percentage of wool can be quite low. I buy mine at Costco which carries them around here (New England) in early fall. Much, much cheaper than the "name" brands and something like 70% wool if my memory serves me accurately. That is a much higher % wool than many of the name brands.

HenryA
07-14-2019, 06:25 AM
Wool, all the time, hot or cold.

Gummee
07-14-2019, 08:42 AM

I try to wear merino wool shirts and anything else as much as i can. I like the temp mgmt, the feel, it doesn't bother my skin, it's durable and some stuff I've read makes it seem a more eco friendly product.

Merino drawers are great too.

About all I wear any more.

As for the OP: I still have a few pair of non-merino socks, but overall? Merino, merino, and merino.

M

ColonelJLloyd
07-14-2019, 09:46 AM
I might be the only dissenter here...but I'm a sockless S. Fla rider and I read all the advertised benefits of the wool socks - so I tried them (Defeet thin)- wore them on a ride and took them off after 10 miles- my feet were cookin'! Bear in mind it was 90+ degrees out...they were good for the cooler months (in the lower 80s..lol)

I've had only poor experience with DeFeet quality and they also just do not feel/breath/wick like my Darn Tough or Smartwool socks. This (https://darntough.com/collections/mens-run/products/mens-ss18-vertex-no-show-tab-ultra-light-cushion?variant=854095560723) is a great sock. Ditto (https://www.smartwool.com/shop/mens-running-socks/mens-phd-run-light-elite-micro-socks-sw0sw167?variationId=018#hero=0).

Steve in SLO
07-14-2019, 10:17 AM
This forum is good for a laugh every now and then. Like when Steve in San Luis Obispo implies he has all 4 seasons. :). I love you Steve, but cmon!

Ha ha, Matt, but I do have ride temps from 20-100F. Admittedly the extremes are not common, but the cold is where I particularly appreciate merino.

steveoz
07-14-2019, 11:51 AM
I've had only poor experience with DeFeet quality and they also just do not feel/breath/wick like my Darn Tough or Smartwool socks. This (https://darntough.com/collections/mens-run/products/mens-ss18-vertex-no-show-tab-ultra-light-cushion?variant=854095560723) is a great sock. Ditto (https://www.smartwool.com/shop/mens-running-socks/mens-phd-run-light-elite-micro-socks-sw0sw167?variationId=018#hero=0).

With the amount of love shown for them I'll have to try them out !

upstate burner
07-14-2019, 11:53 AM
Darn Tough merino wool cycling specific socks. Love 'em!

muz
07-14-2019, 12:33 PM

I was driving through SLO yesterday. It was 58F at the coast, and 104F in SLO. So there are your 2 seasons in one!

parris
07-14-2019, 12:45 PM
I use to really like Smart Wool socks BUT The stitching is failed on the toe seam on several pairs that I own. This is a bummer because other than than that they're a good sock. I'm shifting to Darn Tough as the Smart Wool socks let loose.

I've become a big proponent of good wool socks all year long.

Lanternrouge
07-14-2019, 02:00 PM

Your opinion counts extra due to location. I'll try them on my next ride.

Keith A
07-14-2019, 02:35 PM
I also wear wool socks all year and I think my feet stay dryer with them. I'm on the East Coast of FL and it's plenty hot and humid here during the summer.

Frankwurst
07-14-2019, 04:06 PM
Wool year round. I lived in Florida for 18 years and like Keith it was the same way. Good Ol' boys thought I was just some crazy a$$ Yankee, which is true, but my feet were happy.:beer:

pdmtong
07-14-2019, 04:12 PM
I will never buy another smartwool product. they used to be great, but the past few years they get thin way too fast and just do not last.

look at the rapha archive sale page...that's cheap way to buy merino cycling socks.

Tickdoc
07-14-2019, 04:19 PM
Wool winter only here. Haven’t found a super thin wool sock I like well enough to go year round.

daker13
07-14-2019, 05:24 PM
I wear wool socks year round. A few pairs of Darn Tough, but mostly REI are my go-to's (toes).

tigoat
07-14-2019, 06:03 PM
Count me in as a Darn Tough fan. All of my socks are merino wool socks. I like them thin regardless of being warm or cold outside.

kingpin75s
07-14-2019, 06:40 PM
8 years plus with pretty much only wool socks and underwear for all seasons.

Love the Rapha boxer briefs by the bundle for pricing.

Icebreaker for socks.

Agree Smartwool quality has receded based on the dozens I have worn through.

Darn Tough is ok when I need a more rugged pair, but I do not like them as much. Have one pair and do not plan to buy more.

Keith A
07-14-2019, 06:52 PM
That's too bad to hear about the Smartwool socks. I have quite a few pair from before they sold out, and they are still going strong.

Has anyone tried Point6, these are the guys that started Smartwool...
https://point6.com/

metalheart
07-14-2019, 09:57 PM
I have a few different merino cycling socks. The Rapha are nice, but the softest and most comfortable ones for me are the Endura BaBa ones. They are very soft, a bit thin, useable for three seasons, but they wear faster than the Raphia or Smartwool ones. But, the softness and comfort make the wear issue acceptable. About $25 for two pair.