PDA

View Full Version : Question about Simano vs. Campy (just kidding sort of)

DRZRM
12-13-2006, 01:58 PM
Selling the old Legend with DA-10 and have a new old Legend (a few sizes bigger) with Record-10 coming in (I managed to do this only spending a few hundred bucks out of pocket, and frankly I'm tickled). Now, unlike many of you guys, I have no strong preconceived notions about one over the other, I loved my DA, and I'm looking forward to trying out the Campy. My one reservation however is the crank arms. I know some of you don't love the look, but the thing about the DA-10 cranks is that they were mind-numbingly stiff compared to my DA-8. I love them, and I'm worried that the alloy Record-10 will not live up.

I've thought about running DA-10 cranks with Campy, but I'm wondering what my other choices are. Is the Record Carbon crank as stiff (anybody who has a 175 they want to sell at a good price, drop me a PM)? FSA? I weight about 220 and I'm 6'3" and I'd always been used to a good bit of flex in my cranks, but after the DA-10 I'm not looking forward to going back. What should I do? Am I just being paranoid? Is Campy-10 as good as DA?

I don't mean to hurt any feelings. For what it's worth, I am looking forward to giving Campy a shot.

vaxn8r
12-13-2006, 03:53 PM
I just went from DA 10 to '06 Record on my Calfee. If I can ever post anything bigger than a thumbnail I'll update the photos but that's another story.

First off, I think the DA crank is awesome. The '06 Record CF crank with PW BB is fine. Is it noticably more flexy? I don't know. Maybe in my head. I haven't raced this set-up so its hard to say but I'm guessing this square taper thing is not the thing that's going to keep me from the podium.

Secondly, and take this from a guy who's ridden Record and DA for the last 20+ years, I've gotten used to the new DA hoods more than I would have guessed. I almost feel like I'm falling off the front of the bike with these Record babies (literally). Anyhow, you get used to them. I think they look cooler than the bulky DA hoods and I like the hidden cables for sure. But the DA hoods feel better to me by a long shot.

Third, brakes. Really no difference. They work great. DA work great too. They both modulate nicely and they both stop the bike in a hurry. There is no way brakes can get any better than what Shimano and Campagnolo are putting out right now.

Fourth, I shaved 0.6 lbs off my bike by switching from DA to Record. That was more than I'd have thought. Cool.

Fifth, Campy stuff looks better. Maybe it's just because it's new on this bike because I wouldn't have thought I'd be saying this...but I am.