PDA

View Full Version : Audi owners - help! “Low oil - add 1 qt” mssg...I’m 4hrs away from civilization

Wayne77
07-13-2019, 07:52 PM
Arghh! Im driving trough the desert and worried about driving with low oil. Audi roadside assistance was zero help. They just want to tow my car. Do any of you know how far you can drive after this warning? Audi turbos do burn oil and I usually keep a quart of Euro spec synthetic in the trunk. Here’s the kicker... it came on when I was driving South through the desert to the race I did yesterday...I figured the town would have a Euro dealership or Autozone that sells Euro spec synthetic...nope.

It’s idling just fine right now...I’m at a Flying J has station. Can I put in a quart of regular Penzoil Synthetic in to get me 450 miles home without ruining it? Thoughts?

peanutgallery
07-13-2019, 08:00 PM
Top it off with the closest spec you can get and change oil ASAP upon return

Oil consumption in certain cars that are expensive and newish gives me a bit of a scare

dpdan93
07-13-2019, 08:01 PM
Audi's are pretty notorious for blowing through oil... new or old

AngryScientist
07-13-2019, 08:01 PM
Absolutely add regular synthetic. Won’t do any harm short term. Oil is a lubricant first but also plays an important role in cooling. Don’t drive through the heat of the desert with low oil.

Short term you can run pretty much any oil; especially if you’re just adding a qt.

Spdntrxi
07-13-2019, 08:10 PM
when I had a VW, I always carried a couple quarts...

Ralph
07-13-2019, 08:10 PM
Add any oil that meets the spec of the Audi oil. Wallmart, etc. Most towns have one. it won't hurt a thing. 5W-30 or 5W-40.....any OK for an oil burner.

saab2000
07-13-2019, 08:12 PM
when I had a VW, I always carried a couple quarts...

My 2006 GTI has never burned a drop. Neither has my 2018 Tiguan.

Wayne77
07-13-2019, 08:16 PM
Absolutely add regular synthetic. Won’t do any harm short term. Oil is a lubricant first but also plays an important role in cooling. Don’t drive through the heat of the desert with low oil.

Short term you can run pretty much any oil; especially if you’re just adding a qt.

Thanks! Just bought a quart of synthetic 5W-30. I’ll get a full oil change when I get home.

Wayne77
07-13-2019, 08:19 PM
Add any oil that meets the spec of the Audi oil. Wallmart, etc. Most towns have one. it won't hurt a thing. 5W-30 or 5W-40.....any OK for an oil burner.

I’m 400 miles from the nearest Walmart or any town that would have anything. I’ve checked, called around, Google extensively. There is NOTHING in Central Utah unfortunately.

AngryScientist
07-13-2019, 08:22 PM
Thanks! Just bought a quart of synthetic 5W-30. I’ll get a full oil change when I get home.

yea, you'll be fine.

howd you race?

Ralph
07-13-2019, 08:37 PM

You will be fine. The viscosity needs to be close so the VVT works properly....otherwise at light throttle anything would work OK until next oil change.

ntb1001
07-13-2019, 08:57 PM
The warning does come on fairly early. You do still have quite a bit of oil, and could probably drive safely for some time.

Saying that though...use any oil, for now and change it ASAP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jamesdak
07-13-2019, 09:28 PM
I’m 400 miles from the nearest Walmart or any town that would have anything. I’ve checked, called around, Google extensively. There is NOTHING in Central Utah unfortunately.

?? I'm trying to figure out where in Utah is there nothing with 400 miles? Heck St George to SLC is only like 300 miles? :confused:

Ken Robb
07-13-2019, 10:01 PM
"They all do that!"

choke
07-13-2019, 10:04 PM
Synthetic and dino oils are 100% compatible so in a pinch any oil will work.

tomato coupe
07-13-2019, 10:35 PM
?? I'm trying to figure out where in Utah is there nothing with 400 miles? Heck St George to SLC is only like 300 miles? :confused:

Yep. The entire state is only 270 miles by 350 miles.

Steve in SLO
07-13-2019, 10:40 PM
Retrogrouch question: When the light came on, did you check your oil level with a dipstick? You mightn't have needed to add a quart and necessitate an oil change on return home.

Spdntrxi
07-14-2019, 12:08 AM
My 2006 GTI has never burned a drop. Neither has my 2018 Tiguan.

My VW had 270k miles on it when I donated it... I'm not complaining but it burned oil somewhere but never dropped a drop.

Pinned
07-14-2019, 01:02 AM
Always carry a spare quart in any performance or turbo car - they burn oil. They all do. I've owned a number of cars from plenty of manufacturers - any that were enjoyable to drive burned oil.

exapkib
07-14-2019, 01:15 AM
Sounds like someone raced the Crusher! Always wanted to get down to that one, but life hasn't allowed it yet. Someday . . . .

howd you race?

How'd it go for you?

Wayne77
07-14-2019, 01:50 AM
yea, you'll be fine.

howd you race?

It was a pretty rough day. You’ll probably see it in my Strava feed. The Crusher is my A race. I checked all the boxes, trained well, got lots of sleep, good taper, etc. But as I started to see my splits I knew there was a problem. Eventually finished 1 hour 20 min down from my time last year. Almost had to abandon. Total head scratcher. Some days your body just says “nope” I guess. It’s all good. I feel exceedingly blessed to have the good health to ride a bike. Next year...

Wayne77
07-14-2019, 01:54 AM

Sorry, in hindsight that was a gross exaggeration. It had been a really long day and wasn’t too clear headed :) I was in Beaver. 4 hours from home just South of Ogden. Part of the problem is that it was Sat and places were closing. I called around a lot. Anyway the closest town that had a Walmart was Spanish fork, about 3 hrs North.

martl
07-14-2019, 02:46 AM
Top it off with the closest spec you can get and change oil ASAP upon return

Oil consumption in certain cars that are expensive and newish gives me a bit of a scare

I've owned/driven, let me count, 8 different cars since 1999. 7 of them were new, 7 of them had Turbos, 6 were VW or Audi (VW Sharan 1.9TDI 110hp, Audi A4 2.5V6 TDI 150hp, 2x VW Touran 1.9TDI 140hp, 2xVW Touran 1.9TDI 170hp, '99 Forester Turbo 2.0, '18 Forester 2.0).
Most of them saw a lot of Autobahn use, and until ~2010 typically with the pedal solid to the metal (company cars and i was always in a hurry :) ), about 30.000-50.000km/year.
*None*, and i do mean none, had any oil consumption to speak of, ever, not even the almost 20 year old Subaru Turbo i used a few years. What are you guys doing with your cars? :banana:

alancw3
07-14-2019, 03:52 AM
I think you will find that most car manufacturers have a guide line of what an acceptable rate of oil consumption is. engines are built to certain tolerances. as a rule of thumb I would say that any manufacturer is not going to think there is a problem of a car uses a quart of oil every 1000-1500 miles under normal driving conditions. not sure racing across the desert would meet that criteria. I would except consumption to be higher under those conditions.

ntb1001
07-14-2019, 07:49 AM
Retrogrouch question: When the light came on, did you check your oil level with a dipstick? You mightn't have needed to add a quart and necessitate an oil change on return home.

Can’t do that on Audi anymore.
No dipstick...you check electronically now.

jamesdak
07-14-2019, 08:08 AM
Sorry, in hindsight that was a gross exaggeration. It had been a really long day and wasn’t too clear headed :) I was in Beaver. 4 hours from home just South of Ogden. Part of the problem is that it was Sat and places were closing. I called around a lot. Anyway the closest town that had a Walmart was Spanish fork, about 3 hrs North.

No worries, I was just trying to figure out where in Utah was that remote so I could move there, LOL! It's getting too crowded around here for me. I'm up in the Ogden Valley by Pineview and they keep building, and building, and building....

buddybikes
07-14-2019, 08:14 AM
thx for thread just checked mine, as I won't be driving it much as of tomorrow - don't want wife getting confused. fortunately at full level

RFC
07-14-2019, 09:20 AM
Can’t do that on Audi anymore.
No dipstick...you check electronically now.

This type of modernization drives me crazy. Also electric rear doors that can't be opened mechanically.

Just one more reason I continue to appreciate my 1996 MB SL500. I'm off the grid!

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/20/opinion/car-repair-data-privacy.html

YesNdeed
07-14-2019, 09:44 AM

You were in Beaver the Day the Crusher in the Tushar took place. Well, you weren't kidding about finding anything there, including a decent bottle of wine. But, if you were to try and seek out an Audi, whose owner might carry Euro spec oil and donate to your cause, that would be the day! I'm not there this year, but would have gladly handed over some Mobil-1 0-40, if I spotted this in time. I usually carry a quart in my Audi.

Ironically, Beaver was the first place I had ever seen a Tesla charging station. It's next to the truck stop restaurant on I-15, which is probably the best restaurant in town, not including the kitchen in the cabin we stay in.

Marvinlungwitz
07-14-2019, 02:01 PM

Wayne77
07-14-2019, 02:37 PM
No worries, I was just trying to figure out where in Utah was that remote so I could move there, LOL! It's getting too crowded around here for me. I'm up in the Ogden Valley by Pineview and they keep building, and building, and building....

I’m jealous then. It’s BEAUTIFUL there. I’d love to move to Eden or Liberty. Lots of really good road and mtb riding. I like everyone the Old Snow Basin loop. I usually park at the resort, climb up and then descend Trappers, then up Old Snow Basin Road back to my car. Sometimes I do that loop ,ultipke times. So pretty!

Wayne77
07-14-2019, 02:39 PM
Sounds like someone raced the Crusher! Always wanted to get down to that one, but life hasn't allowed it yet. Someday . . . .

How'd it go for you?

It’s an amazingly no race...you should do it! It’s the hardest race I’ve done, but for some reason I come back every year.

jamesdak
07-14-2019, 03:30 PM
I’m jealous then. It’s BEAUTIFUL there. I’d love to move to Eden or Liberty. Lots of really good road and mtb riding. I like everyone the Old Snow Basin loop. I usually park at the resort, climb up and then descend Trappers, then up Old Snow Basin Road back to my car. Sometimes I do that loop ,ultipke times. So pretty!

Old Snowbasin Rd is a mess right now going up the first few miles. They are laying a gas pipe and there's tore up pavement and loose gravel all over. I love climbing it too and then descending down Trappers.

But yeah, I'm spoiled for riding. I do a 25 mile loop from Eden to Huntsville and back pretty much every day and then more on the weekends.

likebikes
07-14-2019, 10:04 PM
this is why i always carry a quart of dino oil in the spare tire compartment...wait...do cars even come with spare tires these days?