PDA

View Full Version : The lure of gravel and a lauf true grit

Tickdoc
07-13-2019, 05:52 PM
Spent some time at the bike shop today and played with one of these. Same bike, same color. By “play with it” I mean I took it out of the stand and bounced it around a bit, then I promptly put it back.

I gotta say I am gobsmacked by what it felt like and how freakishly light it was. I don’t even know how much it costs... I don’t want to know.

One of the wrenches just got back from Iceland and got to ride one on its home turf and he was trying to describe the ride and the trip....the volcanic rock and the roads. The speed at which this thing gobbles up rough terrain while you are in control and not beaten to a pulp. Always wanted to go to Iceland and I just didn’t realize that is where this crazy concept came from.

I don’t like the componentry, or the single crank with the pie pan in the back, or disc brakes with thru axles, or tubeless tires. I don’t like the color, I think the front fork looks goofy.

I don’t like to ride gravel.

I swore off plastic.

I’m ashamed to admit now I want to give it a try.

Retro grouch mode is in full effect as always and yet I’m intrigued.

What now?

https://roadbikeaction.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Lauf2-02689.jpg

https://roadbikeaction.com/first-ride-lauf-true-grit/amp/

merckx
07-13-2019, 06:57 PM
Those machines intrigue me. If it had more setback I would have a red one in my possession. The gravel ride/race that they sponsor also looks intriguing. Traveling to Iceland next year to take part may be within my wheelhouse.

JAGI410
07-13-2019, 07:06 PM
They ride amazing, and would be my top choice for anything if I were spending $5k on a bike.

dem
07-13-2019, 07:18 PM
I'd probably own one if they had a lockout. I still ride a lot of pavement, and anything with a jiggling front end is pretty terrifying - including the "futureshock" or any of those other gimmicks. Nothing more frightening bombing a descent at 50 mph and feeling the front end being all loose.

Malinois
07-13-2019, 07:30 PM
They ride amazing, and would be my top choice for anything if I were spending $5k on a bike.

If you can pull together $5k CDN, you can get Ryder Hesjedal's True Grit (http://www.broadstcycles.ca/deals-sales/) (about half way down) that was posted in the PSA thread a few weeks ago.

fried bake
07-13-2019, 08:01 PM
Nice, but the reach is a bit of a problem for me. Were I so inclined, I’d consider a NOS GT Grade ($600) with this fork ($800) Etap $1,100 plus an $800 set of wheels/tires. That’s leaves a lot of money left for the trip to Iceland vs the buying full bike kitted out with etap from Lauf.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

XXtwindad
07-13-2019, 09:43 PM
I'm always curious about the reticence concerning disc brakes, larger cassettes, etc. Is it strictly an aesthetic concern, or is it the preservation of biking "purity" and history?

I come from a MTB background, so the "trickle down" technology from the knobby world was welcomed by me. I've mentioned in previous posts that - for me - discs, wider tires, and bigger cassettes just make riding more comfortable and fun. I have two "pie plate" cassettes that I'm using for gravel builds. They're both a whopping 9-46. And it's so much easier to get my 200lb body up a 13% grade hill, of which there are plenty around here.

Specifically pertaining to the Lauf Grit, it seems to make sense on a functional level. If you can get past the polarizing aesthetics. Which I can't.

pbarry
07-13-2019, 09:50 PM
I'm always curious about the reticence concerning disc brakes, larger cassettes, etc. Is it strictly an aesthetic concern, or is it the preservation of biking "purity" and history?

I come from a MTB background, so the "trickle down" technology from the knobby world was welcomed by me. I've mentioned in previous posts that - for me - discs, wider tires, and bigger cassettes just make riding more comfortable and fun. I have two "pie plate" cassettes that I'm using for gravel builds. They're both a whopping 9-46. And it's so much easier to get my 200lb body up a 13% grade hill, of which there are plenty around here.

Specifically pertaining to the Lauf Grit, it seems to make sense on a functional level. If you can get past the polarizing aesthetics. Which I can't.

Completely agree that some of the new gear has definitely trickled down from the mtb side and makes cycling more accessible to more people, and more roads and trails are easier to ride. :beer:

Just ribbing you, but if you come from an mtb background, how can that wee fork offend you? ;)

XXtwindad
07-13-2019, 10:26 PM
Completely agree that some of the new gear has definitely trickled down from the mtb side and makes cycling more accessible to more people, and more roads and trails are easier to ride. :beer:

Just ribbing you, but if you come from an mtb background, how can that wee fork offend you? ;)

Well, given a recent thread I started, I'll think I'll use the Lauf Grit with bar ends and "jorts." :)

GScot
07-13-2019, 11:01 PM
I rented one last year and put a couple of good rides on it. Gravel road, sand, access trail and even some rocky single track. Just a couple of pavement miles at the start. Loved it in spite of being a little suspicious of the 80mm stem they set me up with. I was really in the market for a road bike that takes bigger tires so ended up with something else but I can see buying one at some point.

93KgBike
07-14-2019, 12:13 AM
Buy it, and ride it.
Then sell it to us to try.
It's only regret.

sparky33
07-15-2019, 01:43 PM

What now?

It's a terrific gravel bike. Lauf is doing a lot of things really well with this bike, and the thread on my Lauf (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=238700) says most of what I would comment here.

The fork is unusual for sure, but it would still be my choice for a rugged gravel fork if it were twice as weird as it is already is... it's that good.

I do wish that Lauf would do a 650bx2.1 version of this bike.

Sjambok
07-15-2019, 04:14 PM
I do wish that Lauf would do a 650bx2.1 version of this bike.

Build up an OPEN U.P. with the Lauf fork.

sparky33
07-15-2019, 04:34 PM

There's that, sure.
Though for a spendy frameset, it deserves to be a matching unit.

CSKeller
07-15-2019, 07:03 PM
I have a co-worker that picked up one and he raves about it for the gravel roads here in Colorado.

I'm really fascinated with it! I don't ride gravel exclusively so I don't really need one but... I would try to outfit it with the new Campy Chorus 12 spd hydro if possible. I think that would be an incredible combo!!:banana::banana::banana:

Tickdoc
07-15-2019, 07:19 PM

Shop just put one on a new pinarello gravel :hello:

scottcw2
09-07-2019, 05:02 PM
I don’t like the componentry, or the single crank with the pie pan in the back, or disc brakes with thru axles, or tubeless tires. I don’t like the color, I think the front fork looks goofy.

I don’t like to ride gravel.

I swore off plastic.

What now?

This pretty much sums up my initial thoughts, but the retro grouch in me gets quieter the more research I do. I can’t help but appreciate the thought, engineering, and technology behind this bike/fork.

I would love to rent one if I could find one local before spending so much on a bike I don’t “need.”