PDA

View Full Version : tdf podcasts - the move vs cyclingtips

vqdriver
07-12-2019, 01:42 PM
i was turned on to both of these by forumites and as the tour gets into full swing, i can't get over how dry the cyclingtips podcast is. i suppose they have some interesting technical content, and for some reason i like to hear about the press buffet, but it's borderline unlistenable if i hear the move episode first. maybe it's the rider's perspective, but i find la is just more compelling to listen to. love him or hate him and all that

ntb1001
07-12-2019, 02:07 PM
I know most here dislike LA, but I still like him enough to enjoy the podcast. He does have more 1st hand hand race experience at that level than just about anybody else, and is pretty good at commentary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

azrider
07-12-2019, 02:18 PM
I listen everyday .....LA is great and having guests like Johan B make the show what it is.....those guys (Johan esp) are great tacticians and know so so much about the sport....it’s really great

trener1
07-12-2019, 02:37 PM
Another good listen is The Cycling Podcast, only slight downside is that it is British so a bit to much focus on the Ineos team but other then that it's a solid listen.
I kind of go between then and the move.

FlashUNC
07-12-2019, 02:53 PM
I'll listen to the podcasts that aren't serving as some image rehab project. I'm not a regular listener, but the CyclingTips podcast is pretty solid.

ColonelJLloyd
07-12-2019, 02:57 PM
I'll listen to the podcasts that aren't serving as some image rehab project. I'm not a regular listener, but the CyclingTips podcast is pretty solid.

Johan was throwing some praise on Sagan the other day so it's definitely something you'll want to continue to avoid.

FlashUNC
07-12-2019, 03:01 PM
Johan was throwing some praise on Sagan the other day so it's definitely something you'll want to continue to avoid.

Sounds like Johan is still running headlong into stupid ideas. Brilliant.

ColonelJLloyd
07-12-2019, 03:03 PM
Brators gonna brate.

trener1
07-12-2019, 07:55 PM
How about we just discuss if the actual podcast is good or in fact bad, but not retread the same old same old that been said 100,000 times.

mastaliu
07-12-2019, 08:49 PM
I was listening to The Move last year and can't this year. Too much time with the sponsorships and LA and GH are sort of stuck in the present. They can't talk about the past, can't talk about doping, watts, speeds, etc. So they sort of tread carefully and it sounds like an image rehab rather than a real cycling podcast. GH is the better with analysis, tactics, behind the scenes. He's actually ridden way more races than LA and the perspective from a domestique (super) is more interesting than from the winner*. JB seems there to ask obvious questions and to praise LA. I always wanted it to be more honest about the past and more critical of the present.

The Cycling Podcast is good. They have some cycling history ones on Kilometre 0 that are excellent. Very knowledgeable. Blindness to sky/ineos problems as noted above.

Cyclingtips is good, but the hosts seem to be too chummy with the riders, too insider and proud of it. And they criticise riders efforts in a way that sounds dismissive. I'm nitpicking.

Love to hear opinions on others.

ColonelJLloyd
07-12-2019, 09:08 PM
Too much time with the sponsorships...

Not sure how you listen, but I find it pretty easy to hit the "forward 30s" to get past them using the Podcasts app (iPhone). Same with any podcast.

mastaliu
07-12-2019, 09:13 PM
Not sure how you listen, but I find it pretty easy to hit the "forward 30s" to get past them using the Podcasts app (iPhone). Same with any podcast.

Yes of course you can skip it. It's just the whole, "I've used this and it's the best" line that's hard to take.

b021c
07-12-2019, 09:52 PM
I was listening to The Move last year and can't this year. Too much time with the sponsorships and LA and GH are ....

The Cycling Podcast is good. They have some cycling history ones on Kilometre 0 that are excellent. Very knowledgeable. Blindness to sky/ineos problems as noted above.

Cyclingtips is good, but the hosts seem to be too chummy with the riders, too insider and proud of it. And they criticise riders efforts in a way that sounds dismissive. I'm nitpicking.

Love to hear opinions on others.

I totally agree.
Cycling Podcast is my favorite. Bradley Wiggins is second.
I've also enjoyed PYSO with Gus and Bobby - esp the Phillippe Gilbert episode this week. (Put Your Socks On - Velonews Voices pod).
Slow Ride gets my nod too.

vqdriver
07-12-2019, 09:54 PM
Meh. just ffwd. If pimping your sponsors is a criticism it can be directed toward most podcasts, cycling or otherwise.

R3awak3n
07-13-2019, 05:18 AM
Meh. just ffwd. If pimping your sponsors is a criticism it can be directed toward most podcasts, cycling or otherwise.

I listen to all my podcasts in the car and glad they have a 15s forward button, a few hits of that and ads be gone. I do prefer, obviously, when all the aponsor messages are at the beginning.

prototoast
07-13-2019, 06:25 AM
I really enjoy The Move with Johan Bruyneel. He seems to share more novel information than Lance and George. I agree the advertising can be a bit annoying but that's what pays for all the content. It's easy to skip, and it's less advertising time than an American Football game, so I won't complain too much.

The cyclingtips race coverage is pretty bad. I enjoy a lot of their tech coverage, and the Speedx story was too notch, but their race analysis seems to be mostly "we're at the race" than any actual insights into the race itself.

CunegoFan
07-13-2019, 08:26 AM

In Whoville they say his small heart grew three sizes that day. Nope. Still a bad banana with a greasy black peel.

Head over to the CBD thread and toke up, bro. You'll feel a lot better and maybe not go through life twisted with hate about ex-pro athletes who have no affect on your life.

fogrider
07-13-2019, 08:42 PM
First I want to say its George that really adds value to the breakdown of the race...even if he can't pronounce they guys names...hold on, I need to take a sip of my Patron Tequila...and turn on my power dot...

jpritchet74
07-14-2019, 10:02 AM
I love the cyclingtips podcast - it's my favorite cycling podcast. The Move is good with Lance on it but I am not a fan of the Johan version.

trener1
07-16-2019, 09:51 AM
First I want to say its George that really adds value to the breakdown of the race...even if he can't pronounce they guys names...hold on, I need to take a sip of my Patron Tequila...and turn on my power dot...

HaHa, you win