PDA

View Full Version : So now the UCI is enforcing sock height at the TdF

Bruce K
07-12-2019, 01:25 PM
Who knew it was a thing?

Apparently there is a rule and the UCI began cracking down earlier this year but it has become more intense at the Tour. They say they are trying to prevent an aerodynamic advantage.

So no more knee socks at major/UCI CX races?

BK

LegendRider
07-12-2019, 01:29 PM
Enforcement!!!

charliedid
07-12-2019, 01:33 PM
Sock dopers

charliedid
07-12-2019, 01:35 PM
Actually I don't think it's new.

Dude
07-12-2019, 01:36 PM
Are full tights then banned as well?

The argument being that a fabric can be engineered to be more aerodynamic than skin. Can they skirt that rule by riding in a full long sleeve/legged skin suits?

charliedid
07-12-2019, 01:54 PM
Are full tights then banned as well?

The argument being that a fabric can be engineered to be more aerodynamic than skin. Can they skirt that rule by riding in a full long sleeve/legged skin suits?

Seems heavy handed and weird. You can cover everything but your face and shins? But I don't know the answer to your question. People still swim in full length suits?

Bike racing

bcroslin
07-12-2019, 02:01 PM
The Velominati is real. Hopefully they’re cracking down on socks that are too short. 😆

nighthawk
07-12-2019, 02:02 PM
Enforcement!!!

I think he’s just checking to see if his lower leg is dished properly.

Mark McM
07-12-2019, 02:09 PM
People still swim in full length suits?

Not any more. FINA now only allows suits to go down to the top of the knees, and men cannot wear suits above the waist. Also, only textiles can be used (no rubber suits).

Related to the ban on tall socks, the UCI also banned the use of so-called 'aero gels', which basically bonded small spheres to rider's legs to reduce aero drag (think dimples on golf balls).

Dino Suegiù
07-12-2019, 02:16 PM
Enforcement!!!
https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697981906&stc=1&d=1562956136

"Daddy, what did you do when I was just a little kid, growing up?"

"I was an 'Official UCI Sock-Measurer', petal, very high up. I was really good at it, probably the best sock-measurer ever, if I do say so myself. I even helped invent the 'Official UCI Sock Measurement Device'. I am still quite proud of that achievement...."

Lewis Moon
07-12-2019, 02:26 PM
Not any more. FINA now only allows suits to go down to the top of the knees, and men cannot wear suits above the waist. Also, only textiles can be used (no rubber suits).

Related to the ban on tall socks, the UCI also banned the use of so-called 'aero gels', which basically bonded small spheres to rider's legs to reduce aero drag (think dimples on golf balls).

One word: scarification.

charliedid
07-12-2019, 02:28 PM
I think he’s just checking to see if his lower leg is dished properly.

Funny

charliedid
07-12-2019, 02:29 PM

Aero Gels are so weird. Who knew...

Thanks

sharkboyrob
07-12-2019, 03:56 PM
In addition to aero advantage, possible advantage in wearing taller compression socks, or are compression socks only for post-ride recovery?

bjf
07-12-2019, 04:02 PM
They have been enforcing this on the track for some time.

choke
07-12-2019, 04:29 PM
Yes, it's a silly rule.

But since they made it, they could have at least outlawed those ugly tall socks like in the pic. IMO about 90% of cycling socks sold today are too tall. (Flame suit on.)

hellvetica
07-12-2019, 04:30 PM
Don't they do the same in UCI DH MTB racing? No lycra allowed. Baggies or go home.

Mark McM
07-12-2019, 04:43 PM
Don't they do the same in UCI DH MTB racing? No lycra allowed. Baggies or go home.

Yes. The UCI rules for MTB Downhill events state:

4.3.011 All lycra-elastane based tight-fitting clothing is not permitted.

Many sports have rules regulating clothing who's only purpose is neither for safety or fairness, but instead to maintain a certain "look". In cycling, jerseys must have sleeves (no sleeveless jerseys or tank tops, as often seen in triathlon). Years ago, the USCF went even further stating that shorts had to be black, and socks had to be white. In tennis, Wimbledon used to require that players only wear white, and women had to wear skirts. In beach volley ball, women are required to two piece (bikini) swim suits.

paredown
07-12-2019, 05:19 PM
Back when mastadons roamed, we were required to wear white socks only, of the proper height, black shorts and no advertising of any kind on our jerseys...

pdonk
07-12-2019, 07:14 PM
Yes, it's a silly rule.

But since they made it, they could have at least outlawed those ugly tall socks like in the pic. IMO about 90% of cycling socks sold today are too tall. (Flame suit on.)

Reading the rule and looking at the pic. His socks appear to be too tall. They can only be 50% between ankle and knee.

LegendRider
07-12-2019, 07:47 PM
Reading the rule and looking at the pic. His socks appear to be too tall. They can only be 50% between ankle and knee.

Yep

colker
07-12-2019, 07:52 PM
...and performance drugs are liberated. Much easier to control socks.

CunegoFan
07-12-2019, 08:13 PM
Finally the UCI does some good for the sport.

I have seen some truly idiotic looking examples of tall socks combined with knickers so three inches of skin is exposed. On a group ride that should warrant an immediate pump to the spokes.

54ny77
07-12-2019, 08:18 PM
i thought this was an april fool's joke thread.

Dino Suegiù
07-12-2019, 08:23 PM
i thought this was an april fool's joke thread.

No, just a slightly early Bastille Day joke.

Peter P.
07-12-2019, 08:41 PM
Yes, it's a silly rule.

I'm with ya' on this. Heck; I'll stand by your side with a fire extinguisher.

Tall socks are stoopid. Why not just wear dress socks?!

Black Dog
07-12-2019, 08:52 PM
I'm with ya' on this. Heck; I'll stand by your side with a fire extinguisher.

Tall socks are stoopid. Why not just wear dress socks?!

Lance started the tall black socks trend when he wore dress socks at a race during his tour runs. Now we are on our way to knee high tube socks. https://www.supportplus.com/graphics/products/large/FH0582_BLK_A.jpg

https://partycity6.scene7.com/is/image/PartyCity/_pdp_sq_?$_1000x1000_$&$product=PartyCity/393896

GOTHBROOKS
07-12-2019, 09:58 PM
https://media1.tenor.com/images/2b6913757c2c3a7eb9f1ff843277bf62/tenor.gif
fashion club says tri socks are out too.

peanutgallery
07-12-2019, 10:12 PM
This concept is so USCF in about 1990

Black socks were frowned upon at one time, too

sitzmark
07-12-2019, 10:58 PM
LA claimed (Tues Move) to be the catalyst for sock measuring....

https://vimeo.com/347033790

peanutgallery
07-12-2019, 11:40 PM
Of course he did. -7 loves attention

LA claimed (Tues Move) to be the catalyst for sock measuring....

https://vimeo.com/347033790

Louis
07-13-2019, 12:02 AM
No wonder I'm so slow - my socks are too short. :eek:

marciero
07-13-2019, 05:16 AM
Finally the UCI does some good for the sport.

I have seen some truly idiotic looking examples of tall socks combined with knickers so three inches of skin is exposed. On a group ride that should warrant an immediate pump to the spokes.

Agree that this would be a breach of decorum of the highest order. On the other hand, I've worn knee-highs for years with knickers. But these are non-lycra knickers used in touring mode or for public decorum, with no skin showing. More like plus-fours. Sort of. (RIP Payne)

Peter P.
07-13-2019, 10:23 AM
Agree that this would be a breach of decorum of the highest order. On the other hand, I've worn knee-highs for years with knickers. But these are non-lycra knickers used in touring mode or for public decorum, with no skin showing. More like plus-fours. Sort of. (RIP Payne)

Great; now cyclists will be flocking to the local golf pro shop, and golfers will mistake us for their brotherhood. Not on my deathbed.

Matthew
07-13-2019, 02:58 PM
Wouldn't a bare leg be more areo? Socks so high seem like a disadvantage. At the very least dumb looking.

rwsaunders
07-13-2019, 04:27 PM
Wouldn't a bare leg be more areo? Socks so high seem like a disadvantage. At the very least dumb looking.

“If done right high socks can be more aerodynamic than a bare leg,” says Chris Yu, director of integrated technologies at Specialized. “This is the golf-ball dimple effect — rough textures can re-energize the boundary layer around the leg and delay flow separation since the leg size and speed are generally in the right range for this to work. This results in a smaller wake behind the leg and lower drag.”

So it stands to reason that the higher the sock extends up the leg, the more aerodynamic advantage the rider is getting. A rider can still get an aerodynamic advantage with a shorter sock, but clearly, a taller sock offers even more advantage.

We’re talking minuscule gains here, and those gains aren’t guaranteed. “The ‘if’ is a big one,” says Yu. “There are a lot of high socks and shoe covers that are slower since the texture effect is pretty sensitive to having the right amount of roughness or disturbance, in the right place, which varies somewhat with leg size and speed.” So despite the potential advantages, riders still take on the risk of actually slowing themselves down with such socks.

ColonelJLloyd
07-13-2019, 06:54 PM
"Daddy, what did you do when I was just a little kid, growing up?"

Ha!

Ronsonic
07-13-2019, 10:37 PM
Yes, it's a silly rule.

This should have been the definitive statement on the subject. If there's gonna be a rule it should be just a finger's width above the ankle bone and done.

hartmmike
07-14-2019, 06:18 AM
jpg.gif c7ac506ceeb90c85035b755954b7e0ee.jpg (87.9 KB)

simonov
07-14-2019, 08:09 AM
So...you guys don't like tall socks? Just wanted to be clear.