PDA

View Full Version : Trying to find a hard-to-find seatpost

WickedWheels
12-13-2006, 10:08 AM
I've posted this on a few sites already, but no one has been able to really help yet...

I'm trying to find a titanium seatpost in a 27.0mm, with setback. It needs to be 330mm or longer, as I'm using it on a mountain bike. Someone suggest Sibex, but I don't think the setback is enough. Ideally, it would be a Laprade-style clamp, like a Shimano or Campy post.

Does such a thing exist?

znfdl
12-13-2006, 10:17 AM
Albert Bold can make you a Ti seatpost in those dimensions

www.boldprecision.com

Jeremy
12-13-2006, 11:14 AM
I've posted this on a few sites already, but no one has been able to really help yet...

I'm trying to find a titanium seatpost in a 27.0mm, with setback. It needs to be 330mm or longer, as I'm using it on a mountain bike. Someone suggest Sibex, but I don't think the setback is enough. Ideally, it would be a Laprade-style clamp, like a Shimano or Campy post.

Does such a thing exist?

The older AmClassic ti post may work for you.

http://www.bikepro.com/ad_copy/seatp_sbolts_sphard.shtml

Grant McLean
12-13-2006, 11:40 AM
Ritchey?

27.0 isn't too uncommon.

You might find a silver XTR alloy post on ebay or somewhere online.

g

WickedWheels
12-13-2006, 03:47 PM
Thanks for all of your help. If I can't find an American Classic Ti post I may have to go with Bold. Does anyone have one? Are they worth the money?

Well, if anyone has a 27.0 Titanium seatpost with setback, and would like to get rid of it, please let me know.

Thanks,

WW

93legendti
12-13-2006, 04:34 PM
I have a Moots 330mm, 27.0, with no set back, so I think you could probably get one in a set back style.

Too Tall
12-13-2006, 06:47 PM
Actually....call American Classic and talk to them. They have a stockroom of junk and that used to be easy to come by.

znfdl
12-13-2006, 06:50 PM
Thanks for all of your help. If I can't find an American Classic Ti post I may have to go with Bold. Does anyone have one? Are they worth the money?

Well, if anyone has a 27.0 Titanium seatpost with setback, and would like to get rid of it, please let me know.

Thanks,

WW

Yes, the bold seatposts are worth the money. I have had his posts on three of my bikes and I know that a number of forumites also own them.

manet
12-13-2006, 08:59 PM
Yes, the bold seatposts are worth the money. I have had his posts on three of my bikes and I know that a number of forumites also own them.

again yes, and it will look like this... but more importantly, as stevep says time and time again, "expensive, lite-weight ***** will definately make you go faster!"

WickedWheels
12-13-2006, 09:42 PM
I'm not too crazy about the look of the smaller diameter... not for the bike it would be going on

Stevep is full of little wisdoms. He once told me that Campy Delta brakes are the single worst piece of engineering he's ever seen. They still went on my bike to complete the "authentic" look, but it makes me laugh every time I TRY to stop my bike.

d_douglas
12-14-2006, 12:41 AM
I recall Titec unloading 27.0mm titanium seatposts a while back and they have been popping up on Ebay for cheap. Not too flasshy and light, but rock solid and I believe that they had A BIT of setback.

D

12-14-2006, 12:59 AM
If you pay the small extra bit for a custom Bold post, you can tell him just how much of the exposed height that you want as a larger or as a smaller diameter. You can basically just have it all in the larger diameter. He does it in all kinds of colors, and does the clamp head in a different color from the shaft.

If you ride one of the many contemporary saddles that leave the saddle clamp exposed to where it can rub on your shorts, the Bold clamp is much more comfortabale and doesn't abrade your shorts.

Definitely check into a custom post from Albert. He can also make the setback exactly what you want -- just give him the measurements and he makes it.

swoop
12-14-2006, 01:01 AM
bolds are gorgeous in real life. much more so than what the picture conveys.