PDA

View Full Version : Racing/riding well in the heat: Looking for your secrets

Wayne77
07-11-2019, 03:42 PM
Hello,

I just don't race well in the heat. Part of it could be because the bulk of my training occurs in the morning and I don't train enough in 90 deg+ temps. Outside of acclimating by training in the conditions you race in, what are your secrets to racing in very hot weather? Obviously hydration is key...as well as electrolytes. I'm not really sure how much electrolyte I need though. Perhaps there is some rule of thumb I can go by. I haven't focused too much on drinking tons the day before. Does that help? What else? I've seen some people wear LS white arm warmers to ward off the sun.

Your thoughts sincerely appreciated.

shoota
07-11-2019, 03:46 PM
Hello,

I just don't race well in the heat. Part of it could be because the bulk of my training occurs in the morning and I don't train enough in 90 deg+ temps. Outside of acclimating by training in the conditions you race in, what are your secrets to racing in very hot weather? Obviously hydration is key...as well as electrolytes. I'm not really sure how much electrolyte I need though. Perhaps there is some rule of thumb I can go by. I haven't focused too much on drinking tons the day before. Does that help? What else? I've seen some people wear LS white arm warmers to ward off the sun.

Your thoughts sincerely appreciated.

My friends and I have been discussing this lately as the heat index has been 100F+ everyday for weeks now, with no end in sight. This happens every year and every year the first few rides in the heat kill us. But we keep it up and eventually we do much better in it. My point: we haven't found any "hacks" to doing better in the heat than just acclimatizing to it slowly.

azrider
07-11-2019, 03:50 PM
I’m in AZ so temps in 90s is no biggie.....but 100+ and it can get miserable, dangerous even.

My biggest advice.....acclimation, water with just pinch Himalayan salt, arm coolers, and cooling neck gaiter.

When temps are 100+ I’ll ride with three bottles and use the 3rd to douse my arm coolers neck gaiter and they retain the moisture much longer than just bare skin.

While training for Leadville last summer (couldn’t NOT ride) I invested in a HyperKewl cooling vest which also makes big difference.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190711/a02ed5f6d1246e3792e9a68bf53ec886.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unterhausen
07-11-2019, 04:16 PM
I finally got some arm coolers from Voler. They work great, even though they are black. I felt silly getting black, but my arms were the coolest part of my body for the entirety of a 125 mile ride in 85+ degree weather.

I really don't think there is much you can do except for ride in the heat. I find that it doesn't take all that much before I'm pretty well acclimated. And it's hottest at the end of the day, so maybe try doing some training then.

Llewellyn
07-11-2019, 06:16 PM
My advice would be to ride early or later in the day (before 0800 or after 1700) unless you really don't have any choice. I find riding in extreme heat to be a thoroughly miserable experience so I rarely do it.

Other than that, I think plenty of acclimatisation, drinking lots of water and putting on sunscreen are about your only options.

joosttx
07-11-2019, 06:21 PM
release CO2 canisters and then place them on the underside of your wrist. Or spray ice water there. I noticed an instant 10 bpm drop when riding in the heat. When it stops working you are cooked.

Ken Robb
07-11-2019, 07:00 PM
keep a wet rag/hanky/etc. under your helmet and re-wet it as needed. If you're not too concerned about aerodynamics a long-sleeve seersucker shirt with a loose fit is cooler than my other jerseys. I know: I sound like Grant Petersen. :)

berserk87
07-11-2019, 08:15 PM
My biggest advice.....acclimation, water with just pinch Himalayan salt,

OK two questions for you:

1. How did you find out about this pinch of salt solution?

2. Why Himalayan salt? I don't know anything about this type of salt to understand why you would choose this kind.

The acclimation aspect for me is a huge part of it on a side note. The first few really hot rides I do, I just ride. I don't start doing any training-type efforts for awhile in the heat until I start to feel used to it. I usually ride around lunchtime during the week and it gets me used to the heat pretty quickly.

One thing that I have noticed is that heat and cold resistance can change with age. One of my teammates has just turned 67. A few years ago I never recalled him having issues with the heat. Last year I noticed that he had a couple of meltdowns on hot days. He did yesterday too - it was 92 and very humid. He's commented on the change and is aware if it. I don't know if that's a factor for the OP.

fmradio516
07-11-2019, 08:50 PM
OK two questions for you:

1. How did you find out about this pinch of salt solution?

2. Why Himalayan salt? I don't know anything about this type of salt to understand why you would choose this kind.

The acclimation aspect for me is a huge part of it on a side note. The first few really hot rides I do, I just ride. I don't start doing any training-type efforts for awhile in the heat until I start to feel used to it. I usually ride around lunchtime during the week and it gets me used to the heat pretty quickly.

One thing that I have noticed is that heat and cold resistance can change with age. One of my teammates has just turned 67. A few years ago I never recalled him having issues with the heat. Last year I noticed that he had a couple of meltdowns on hot days. He did yesterday too - it was 92 and very humid. He's commented on the change and is aware if it. I don't know if that's a factor for the OP.

Im guessing because it helps hydrate. And Himalayan, i think because of its sodium levels?

Ralph
07-11-2019, 09:00 PM
I finally got some arm coolers from Voler. They work great, even though they are black. I felt silly getting black, but my arms were the coolest part of my body for the entirety of a 125 mile ride in 85+ degree weather.

I really don't think there is much you can do except for ride in the heat. I find that it doesn't take all that much before I'm pretty well acclimated. And it's hottest at the end of the day, so maybe try doing some training then.

My dermatologist says black blocks UV better than white.

Riding in Florida in summer with hi humidity.....even if I go out early....by the end of a 3 hour ride....heat index can be over 100 by late morning. And it's been a sweat fest. So I wear arm coolers usually....or a loose long sleeve jersey. Also I save old wash rags from house, and stuff a wet one up in my helmet.

I try to avoid exhaustion by taking in plenty of carbs on the ride....Gatorade in one bottle, water in another, and eat fig bars. Refill water bottle at several places on ride. I know I need to replace salt which Gatorade does. But not enough (would taste like sea water if replaced enough and you couldn't drink it) ...so maybe I will eat some salty chips or pretzels. Don't worry about adding potassium much.....all food has that. I find if I stay well fed, with lots of liquids, heat doesn't bother me as much. Gatorade supposedly was formulated for summer football practice at U of Florida by analyzing player sweat. And I happen to like the taste. Some people don't. My riding buddies all drink something with sugar in it, whatever they prefer, to help avoid getting overly tired in the heat. So on a 1500 calorie ride, I may take in 500-600 calories. Heat not too much of a problem. BTW....Off the bike....Don't eat or drink that junk.

Mikej
07-12-2019, 07:15 AM
i use scratch labs hyper hydration and hour prior, then I use a bottle of EFS First endurance. I feel the type of sodium they use is easier to take in large quantities. I also find that less eat and drink during super hard efforts does my stomach better, but i mainly am talking about super steep mtb race courses in zero wind climbing in the woods at virtually walking speed. My eyes are burning just thinking of it!

OtayBW
07-12-2019, 07:31 AM
i use scratch labs hyper hydration and hour prior, then I use a bottle of EFS First endurance. I feel the type of sodium they use is easier to take in large quantities. I also find that less eat and drink during super hard efforts does my stomach better, but i mainly am talking about super steep mtb race courses in zero wind climbing in the woods at virtually walking speed. My eyes are burning just thinking of it!I like Skratch Labs, too, but I don't know that they use any kind of special sodium. Many/most hydration mixes that have seen use Na-citrate as the sodium source. Electrolyte replacement tablets often use straight NaCl. I would guess that both sources would be essentially ~infinitely soluble in the mix and as readily absorbed. Just speculating...

As far as pink Himalayan salt is concerned (above), it's really high purity NaCl without any processing (e.g., anti-caking) ingredients that might be found in conventional table salt.

Tandem Rider
07-12-2019, 08:50 AM
There is no magic elixir or secret that can make you successful in the heat. I loved racing in the heat because I was less bothered by it than most, I trained in it. It's all about acclimation, no shortcuts. Riding in the heat, preferably every day, is how you get better at riding in the heat. Don't shy away from it, it's like rain, cold, wind, etc, if you race in it, then train in it. If you never trained in the rain, you would be petrified at the start of a 6 corner crit in the rain and probably slide out the back pretty quickly. It's the same with heat.

Drink plenty of fluids, especially water, on and off the bike, weigh yourself before and after each ride, that spectacular weight loss is really just dehydration, drink an extra quart for each 2 lb loss. Peeing mustard is no way to start a ride or race.

jmoore
07-12-2019, 09:06 AM
I'm in Dallas. It gets hot.

1. Prehydrate at least 30 minutes before you go out. Make it super cold.

2. Sunscreen. (haven't tried to arm coolers yet)

3. Cycling cap to keep the sun off your melon. Wet as needed.

GScot
07-12-2019, 10:05 AM
Acclimation is key I think. And don't avoid heat when you aren't riding. Ignore it as much as possible. Work in the yard when it's hot. Work on the car when it's hot. Firing up the smoker or grill, spend some time out there with it and don't run to the A/C every chance you get. Walking, running, hiking, paddling on the water. Do everything you can in the heat.

Some of it is mental and knowing the signs of heat exhaustion is important but preparation is key. Always be drinking. Salty chips and salsa is health food. As another AZ rider I find the danger zone to be 105-110 in full sun, if it's cloudy it's not so bad and as the day goes on the radiant heat from the ground magnifies the threat. Riding evenings here is much worse because it just doesn't cool off until the sun has been down for hours.

wildboar
07-12-2019, 10:13 AM
This seemed to eventually work when I used to ride in the heat. Just go slow. Probably not worth it, if it's too humid though.

http://stevetilford.com/2012/07/24/riding-in-the-heat-3/

"I think the key is as much exposure as possible at sub-maximal effort levels. By sub-maximal I mean real easy training. I think that you get enough stress just from the heat exposure that you don’t need to add anything extra to that. "

Hellgate
07-12-2019, 11:19 AM
Acclimate, drink lots of cool water, ride at a lower level of effort. Be patient...

During ME deployments, after a couple of weeks I was able to get my running program going. Sometimes 5pm. I just wouldn't run as hard, and it carry or stage water water.

This summer has been pretty brutal with high humidity, heat indexes of 108. I just drink more. Once done riding, keep drinking.

On a 60 mile ride I'll drink 92 oz and still lose 4.5 lbs...

bigbill
07-12-2019, 12:06 PM
I'm in NW Arizona which isn't Phoenix hot but we still see 105+ a few times a week. The only upside is single digit humidity. On the weekends we roll out before dawn with lights so we're off the road by 8am. Even low humidity 105 is still 105. For hydration, it's hard to not lose ground regardless of how much you drink. Start hydrated. I wear a camelbak on my afternoon MTB rides. I'll empty a 50oz in 90 minutes and still lose a few pounds. I keep two 32oz Nalgenes in the fridge filled with water. I'll drop a NUUN tablet and drink it over a 30 minute period after a ride.

I spent four years living and racing in coastal South Carolina. It was hot and humid about 8 months a year. Hydration was a lifestyle and we avoided riding after 9am and before 5pm to avoid the midday sun.

Tickdoc
07-12-2019, 12:14 PM
Big fan of those giant pickles they sell at the c stores on hot days. I only eat about half the pickle, but drink all the juice.

From today’s ride:

https://i.imgur.com/cEcaiv9l.jpg

El Chaba
07-12-2019, 12:37 PM
As others have said, you have to acclimate. Beyond that, I think the operative word is moderation....Don't look for your hardest training, a personal best, whatever. High heat and humidity is something to be survived in the best possible condition. It's also to be respected;the moment somebody gets cocky about being good in the heat is the moment that they are set up for a bad experience. I sometimes freeze a bottle of water and place it in my center jersey pocket. It stays cold for an hour to hour and a half, and it is in a great position to cool your core a bit. When all of the ice has almost thawed, drink the whole bottle while it's cold.

Duende
07-12-2019, 01:28 PM
There’s no magic bullet. Genetics has a lot to do with it as well. Some people just can’t function in the heat no matter how much they acclimate.

But as others have said, acclimation ... is the best step forward to reach your best personal threshold.

overmyhead
07-12-2019, 02:43 PM
I struggled with this for years and somehow finally got a grip on it. I would ride in the heat, get a massive headache and be miserable the rest of the day. Tried every type of electrolyte out there. I use the Hammer tablets now which help a lot as well as laying off on the hard exertion.
Three years ago I started doing hot yoga. I believe that helped acclimate me to the heat and my next season I really felt a difference. I still do it as it helps my cycling in so many other ways.
A friend from the military recommended the Himalayan salt with lemon in my bottle. He said they used it in Iraq and that the mineral content is higher (though I cannot find definitive facts on this).
If you like it the coconut water is great - especially for recovery in a smoothie after your ride. That with some salty pretzels.
Good luck.

John H.
07-12-2019, 04:35 PM
On the bike I try to stay hydrated as best as possible- I also try to drink at least 4 liters of water throughout the day off the bike.

I regularly use a dry sauna. I live near the coast where it is not often hot- 30 minutes in a dry sauna after training helps me to be able to deal with heat.

Mikej
07-12-2019, 05:36 PM
I like Skratch Labs, too, but I don't know that they use any kind of special sodium. Many/most hydration mixes that have seen use Na-citrate as the sodium source. Electrolyte replacement tablets often use straight NaCl. I would guess that both sources would be essentially ~infinitely soluble in the mix and as readily absorbed. Just speculating...

As far as pink Himalayan salt is concerned (above), it's really high purity NaCl without any processing (e.g., anti-caking) ingredients that might be found in conventional table salt.

Sounds about right, I meant they don’t just use table salt for 1700mg a serving, I don’t think you choke that down so so easy, where the sodium nitrate makes you thirsty when you drink it. I’m in the Midwest where 95F but dew point is 75 degrees, that’s what kills ya-

Wayne77
07-12-2019, 08:18 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice. Extremely helpful! I am now the owner of some cooling arm warmers and a cooling neck cloth thingy. I tried it out today and it worked great

ariw
07-12-2019, 08:20 PM
Did you use ice packs in the Hyperkewl vest? I am about to pull the trigger on the hybrid model for riding in Florida

Ari

Ronsonic
07-13-2019, 10:49 PM
A waffle weave base layer is like gold out there. Sunscreen will make you feel better as well a prevent future problems.

I use one water bottle and another with GatorLytes in Arizona Green Tea* and usually refill the water on long rides. At my age I can't drink a lot fast without sloshing so I prehydrate every ride.

* Really tastes delicious when you need the salts - not so great when you don't.

steveoz
07-13-2019, 11:15 PM
I really like the Hammer electrolyte tabs, and another thing I'm experimenting with is organic tart cherry juice concentrate (Dynamic Nutrition brand) it's a lot more palatable to me than Gatorade which gives me heartburn and headache.

93KgBike
07-14-2019, 12:41 AM
Youth.

Youth is the key to racing well in the HEAT.

echappist
07-14-2019, 12:03 PM
One need both acclimatization and in-event heat management.

For the former, this can occur at any intensity (and not just race-pace intensity). As a former road racer, I would do this by warming up and doing the actual interval with heat management (ice socks and iced bottle) but do the cool down and any less strenuous stuff with no or reduced heat management (perhaps only iced bottle, but no ice socks). The principle is similar to doing "train low, rest high" that people adopt for altitude training, in the sense that training in heat (or at altitude) reduces maximal power that could be sustained; however, acclimatization can still occur at other times.

For in-event heat management, I would carry iced bottles and have loads of ice shoved down my jersey. On one particularly hot and humid race day (88 F with heat index in the low 90s at the start, only to warm up from there). I carried three bottles with me: 1x 1L non-insulated, half frozen (for immediate consumption); 1x 0.75L insulated, half frozen; and 1x 0.75L insulated, fully frozen (in my pocket). Also shoved 6lbs of ice down my back. The ice all melted in the first 45 minutes, but it basically meant that I started the race fresher by 45 minutes, while others already needed to deal with heat stress from the start. I did quite well in that race while some poor guy in my field actually suffered heat stroke.

Of course, the more prudent thing may just be to limit duration of the competition when it's that hot outside. The even I mentioned above was for 2 hr 15 min, and it's probably as long as I could manage. No shame in staying home or doing some really short events when it's miserable out; we aren't paid to do this, after all.

Did you use ice packs in the Hyperkewl vest? I am about to pull the trigger on the hybrid model for riding in Florida

Ari

the hyperkewl is good for maybe 45 minutes, 1 hour tops. You also give up evaporation when you use it. It's great for stationary riding (warming up prior to an event), but it's not very good for actual riding once one gets moving

mastaliu
07-14-2019, 05:58 PM
Big fan of those giant pickles they sell at the c stores on hot days. I only eat about half the pickle, but drink all the juice.

From today’s ride:

This is awesome!

It has been said over and over to hydrate. I would add that I find it important to use bottles and bottles of water over my neck, back and head to keep the body temp down while riding with effort. It can make a huge difference and I am always surprised I don't see people doing it in the middle of summer on a long hot exposed climb.

Mikej
07-14-2019, 06:04 PM
Youth.

Youth is the key to racing well in the HEAT.

How much can I buy it for? I also sauna 2x a week -

54ny77
07-14-2019, 06:06 PM
Too funny. Handful of months ago I went for a very long ride and was completely zonked a few miles from home. Managed to straggle home, but was hurtin'. Very warm out too. Walked zombie-like to the fridge and guzzled at least a cup or so of nice cold Vlassic pickle juice straight from the jar. Perked back up in about 10 minutes. It's them thar salts that do the trick. :cool: :banana:

Very important to keep a sane head about yourself, to the extent you can. If it's hotter and more miserable than a witch's you-know-what, and for some odd reason you feel chilled and prickly, that's major no bueno. Find a sprinkler head or source of water and shade if at all possible, pronto.

From today’s ride: