PDA

View Full Version : PSA- Strava/Relive update!

EmoryDPTT
07-10-2019, 10:00 PM
https://youtu.be/3eL-_4Asdt0

azrider
07-10-2019, 10:45 PM
Dang!!! I thought that app was super neat.

EmoryDPTT
07-11-2019, 06:40 AM
Dang!!! I thought that app was super neat.

yea... i use relive rendering on all my ride and race videos.
check out the link in my signature.

purpurite
07-11-2019, 07:28 AM
That's disappointing. I wonder what the API differences that they had are? Seems to be a pretty cut and dry refusal to conform, so there must be a legit reason why they are disagreeing about this. You would think Strava is a pretty big component of the Relive app.

EmoryDPTT
07-11-2019, 07:38 AM
That's disappointing. I wonder what the API differences that they had are? Seems to be a pretty cut and dry refusal to conform, so there must be a legit reason why they are disagreeing about this. You would think Strava is a pretty big component of the Relive app.

We might not know the ‘real’ reason. Relive was offering a free service maybe to get their name out. Now to create the same video, you have to manual upload the ride file which requires a paid membership.
Just a thought.

earlofwarwick
07-11-2019, 08:36 AM
Strava referenced privacy concerns. I wonder if Relive was going to resell data on users?

Lewis Moon
07-11-2019, 09:30 AM
Strava referenced privacy concerns. I wonder if Relive was going to resell data on users?

This was my thought.

boywander
07-11-2019, 11:58 AM

Here’s what relive posted:

https://www.relive.cc/strava?hl=en

Lewis Moon
07-12-2019, 08:43 AM
"We thought we had a thing. Until last week. After launching our first social features, we received a very unexpected message threatening to pull the plug. Given our long-term partnership, we immediately rolled back the changes like they requested.

We then tried to call, email, and talk this out with Strava. No response, except for new ultimatums and threats about our existing features they’ve applauded for years."

It would be nice to hear more about this. I give Strava money every month and am personally opposed to enriching companies that pull $#!+ as described here. For now it's just they said, we said.

denapista
07-12-2019, 08:48 AM
Maybe Strava is being classy and not putting it out there that Relive was going to charge users and then sell your data to Google or something.

"Privacy Concerns" could really only mean a handful of things in the tech world.

EmoryDPTT
07-12-2019, 08:48 AM
Here’s my thread from another forum.
It also sheds some light:
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=6978325#p6978325

djg21
07-12-2019, 08:57 AM
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/07/strava-relive-cc-app-platform-dispute.html

m_moses
07-12-2019, 09:30 AM

That’s interesting. I had already become wary of Strava and its Instagram-ization. I no longer see it as useful as I once did.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

boywander
07-12-2019, 09:58 AM

Thanks for the additional info. It sure clear things up a bit. Seems like Strava is having a sissy fit.

That’s interesting. I had already become wary of Strava and its Instagram-ization. I no longer see it as useful as I once did.

I kind of have the same feeling about Strava. May be I’ll leave them and go back to sports-tracker which I used since the days Nokia and that is far back before Strava existed. LOL

djg21
07-12-2019, 10:43 AM
If there is continued use of Strava (there will be), maybe we can start a Paceline club?

bcroslin
07-12-2019, 11:02 AM
Curious to hear of alternative services people are using to Strava? I nuked my Strava account awhile back but then created a new one when I was recovering from leukemia. Strava is pushing the platform to be more social media than training tool and I really don’t need more social media in my life.

stien
07-12-2019, 11:12 AM
If there is continued use of Strava (there will be), maybe we can start a Paceline club?

Theres already one!

I agree with the Instagram-ization of Strava. It also looks like a big Wahoo advertisement.

Lewis Moon
07-12-2019, 11:14 AM
Curious to hear of alternative services people are using to Strava? I nuked my Strava account awhile back but then created a new one when I was recovering from leukemia. Strava is pushing the platform to be more social media than training tool and I really don’t need more social media in my life.

So much this. Anyone on Strava I want to be social with, I'm social with elsewhere.

DRietz
07-12-2019, 11:20 AM

If you're just looking for a training tool, there are scores out there...I'd recommend TrainingPeaks.

Lewis Moon
07-12-2019, 11:28 AM
If you're just looking for a training tool, there are scores out there...I'd recommend TrainingPeaks.

I was just looking at that. I might just migrate.

ergott
07-12-2019, 11:35 AM

Yeah, Strava is pseudo-training in comparison. Add WKO4 and you have far more insight into your training than Strava could possibly give.

I'm keeping Strava for some of the social stuff and I do like segments here and there. I don't bother with any of the paid content.

Lewis Moon
07-12-2019, 11:51 AM
Yeah, Strava is pseudo-training in comparison. Add WKO4 and you have far more insight into your training than Strava could possibly give.

I'm keeping Strava for some of the social stuff and I do like segments here and there. I don't bother with any of the paid content.

I just strolled through the Training Peaks app. Very nice.
Time to say Buh Bye to Strava.

foo_fighter
07-12-2019, 12:15 PM
My take is that things went south when relive started going social. Once they started having profiles and trying to link friends and having feeds, it became too close to Strava's business model. Relive started scraping/harvesting Strava data for that. Hey how did my Strava profile pic end up in Relive? How did Relive know who to suggest as friends....they probably scraped it all from Strava using their API. Almost immediately it gotten banned from Strava's API.

denapista
07-12-2019, 12:23 PM
That sounds plausible. There are two sides to every story. Relive is making themselves look like the victim and Strava the Ride Data Bully!

I'm surprised at how many people live for Strava. I literally use it to upload my rides and nothing more. I used to upload to ridewithgps, but strava was just an easier platform. Like when IG went down, so many people were freaking out. It's crazy that we live in a time where people rely on social media outlets to function..

bcroslin
07-12-2019, 02:56 PM
That’s all I use it for as well. Just gives me data at a glance. I haven’t looked at TP in years but guess I’ll take another look.

m_moses
07-13-2019, 12:04 PM
I still use Strava but keep most of my rides private. Actually, I post outdoor rides but keep TrainerRoad and Zwift rides private. For many on Strava, every ride is an event with multiple photos . . .which wouldn’t be so bad if they were photos of interesting things. I am so over selfies and kit photos.

I would probably bail on Strava but I like that it syncs my workout data with Apple Health. I don’t have any other apps that do that.

makoti
07-13-2019, 01:23 PM
I use Strava as a training log, and if you pair it with VeloViewer, you can dig pretty deep into your data. I also have Training Peaks, but it's almost too much sometimes.
Strava is only as social as you want it to be.