PDA

View Full Version : Lazer MIPS-really, this is it?!?

Steve in SLO
07-10-2019, 08:23 PM
Just received a Lazer Blade+ helmet to replace my six-year-old Helium. I decided to pop for the extra 20 bucks and get the MIPS system, given that I need to be able to use my brain for a few more years before retirement, so I figured why not?
After unboxing the helmet, I saw with the system is all about. That is, basically a thin piece of flexible plastic mounted on tabs to the inner foam of the helmet. I guess it provides a slippery interface between your head and the helmet thereby decreasing focal brain trauma by allowing rotation upon impact. Great idea, but my first thought was that I could’ve done almost as well by cutting up a milk carton and double stick taping it to the inside of the helmet. I can’t wait to see the first YouTube life hack about this one. Anyway, just an observation for the curious.

old fat man
07-10-2019, 08:50 PM
Did you get it for super sale from competitive cyclist today?

I agree about MIPS seeming hokey. I'm not sold on it.

Steve in SLO
07-10-2019, 08:53 PM
Fortunately not. I paid up at Mr. Bezos’ store.

saab2000
07-10-2019, 08:54 PM
I figure it can't hurt and I can't possibly cut up a milk carton that well and my Giro Savant MIPS was pretty inexpensive so I gave it a go.

I don't know if it will ever help but I certainly can't hurt and the price difference on that "lower" end helmet was minimal. It was a no-brainer. Pun intended.

charliedid
07-10-2019, 08:56 PM
My thoughts exactly after first seeing what I had been reading about.

I expected more :)

berserk87
07-10-2019, 09:22 PM
Steve I can see your point. I would be disappointed to look inside my new helmet and see that. Maybe it works? Sure looks chintzy. Make me wonder how effective the MIPs thing is.

Pinned
07-10-2019, 09:26 PM
That doesn't seem like the best MIPS implementation. Maybe it meets all the design parameters but it certainly doesn't look comfortable or quite as extensively engineered as others.

The Giro Aether has a much more advanced setup. The new Bontragers also have a pretty neat system to dampen impact. Personally, I'd send back the Lazer and try one of the newer gen helmets.

saab2000
07-10-2019, 09:27 PM
The point of MIPS isn't to provide impact protection. That appears to be a common misconception. It is to reduce the rotational forces on the brain.

Given that its mission isn't to provide impact protection it will indeed look minimal. The MIPS helmet is intended to dissipate rotational forces in addition to impact forces.

I can't see it as hurting and since the cost was minimal I felt it was worth it. No disadvantage. Why not?

I'm thinking folks need to research what MIPS is supposed to do before they buy and then post skeptical posts.

Steve in SLO
07-11-2019, 12:29 AM
Yep, saab2000, impact vs shear force are two different things. Still surprised me when I saw it.

Mark McM
07-11-2019, 09:32 AM
The dynamics and technology of the MIPS slip layer is far more sophisticated than for the rest of the Styrofoam hat its installed in.

charliedid
07-11-2019, 10:09 AM
Yep, saab2000, impact vs shear force are two different things. Still surprised me when I saw it.

This ^

berserk87
07-11-2019, 10:32 AM
The point of MIPS isn't to provide impact protection. That appears to be a common misconception. It is to reduce the rotational forces on the brain.

Given that its mission isn't to provide impact protection it will indeed look minimal. The MIPS helmet is intended to dissipate rotational forces in addition to impact forces.

I can't see it as hurting and since the cost was minimal I felt it was worth it. No disadvantage. Why not?

I'm thinking folks need to research what MIPS is supposed to do before they buy and then post skeptical posts.

I'm not sure this is an accurate description of what the folks who have opined believe. I'm aware of the purpose of MIPS and how it works. The point is, effective or not, this setup looks cheesy. Jokingly I can add that if you are going to charge extra for a more advanced system, at least do a better job of making it appear more sophisticated. Fool me into thinking I'm getting something for my cash!

kevinvc
07-11-2019, 10:37 AM
I had the same initial response when I got a MPS helmet last year. Now I don't think about it at all except for when it occasionally pulls a hair from the top of my head when I take it off.

unterhausen
07-11-2019, 10:39 AM
if they hadn't made it bright yellow, you would never have noticed it. Should have made it black. I know on my Giro Mips helmet I haven't noticed that thing, I'm sure it's very similar.

MilanoTom
07-11-2019, 10:46 AM
I used to get into "discussions" with a fellow shop employee as to whether any real studies existed as to the effectiveness of MIPS. I'm still not convinced that there's any proof behind the theory. That said, if a MIPS helmet fits, why not? I say "if" because popping the MIPS liner into a helmet seems to change the fit. I tried the MIPS version of the helmet I currently use, and it felt more snug, to the point that I passed on it.

Tom

Mark McM
07-11-2019, 10:55 AM
I used to get into "discussions" with a fellow shop employee as to whether any real studies existed as to the effectiveness of MIPS. I'm still not convinced that there's any proof behind the theory. That said, if a MIPS helmet fits, why not? I say "if" because popping the MIPS liner into a helmet seems to change the fit. I tried the MIPS version of the helmet I currently use, and it felt more snug, to the point that I passed on it.

There's not a lot of high quality studies showing the effectiveness of bicycle helmets in general. While this is largely because data on bicycle accidents just isn't collected very well, data on helmets in other sports (such as alpine skiing) haven't shown a large effect of helmets on serious head injuries.

yinzerniner
07-11-2019, 11:25 AM
There's not a lot of high quality studies showing the effectiveness of bicycle helmets in general. While this is largely because data on bicycle accidents just isn't collected very well, data on helmets in other sports (such as alpine skiing) haven't shown a large effect of helmets on serious head injuries.

Problem here is - what is considered "effective?"

The only thing that's been proven is that MIPS and other technologies like it that rely on slippage only mitigate rotational forces. While rotational forces are indeed a big factor in concussion occurrence and intensity, no one knows exactly HOW big a factor. Physiology and technique might have a bigger impact on concussions but they can't really be safely tested.

Even the most extensive cycling helmet testing to date, the VA Tech ratings, really only test force mitigation. But since everyone's different no one knows how well mitigating certain forces will work for different people.
https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicycle-helmet-ratings.html

As for the effectiveness of helmets in alpine skiing for serious head injuries, I think a big factor is the speed and forces involved. The window for reactive protection is so small and the force so large in alpine skiing that it's almost impossible to fully guard against all head injuries. The helmets can therefore only really be designed to limit how many of those forces reach the brain.

CSTRider
07-11-2019, 12:42 PM
So if one wears a cycling cap under a helmet (or has plenty of long hair), does that theoretically provide some of the rotational "slip" functionality as a MIPS-equipped helmet?

MilanoTom
07-11-2019, 01:31 PM
So if one wears a cycling cap under a helmet (or has plenty of long hair), does that theoretically provide some of the rotational "slip" functionality as a MIPS-equipped helmet?

Possibly, but I would expect that MIPS advocates would argue that the system provides a controlled rotation.

unterhausen
07-11-2019, 01:35 PM
The instructions with a mips helmet say not to wear a hat.

I wear a helmet to avoid stitches. And even that doesn't always work. Nobody has come out with anything to protect your spleen, which is really what kills people in a crash. Does anyone really die of head injuries? Seems unlikely in isolation. It might mitigate the forces enough to reduce a crash where cognitive impairment might have occurred vs. just a severe concussion.

livesadventure
07-11-2019, 02:33 PM
Since mips became commonplace, I’ve only bought helmets with the technology. $20 seems marginal compared to the possibility of a less serious knock to the head.

I think in the case of mips, the potential benefit is much less tangible than the physical manifestation of the product itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CSTRider
07-11-2019, 02:44 PM
The instructions with a mips helmet say not to wear a hat.

If that's the case, then a MIPS helmet isn't in my future - i have to wear a cap to protect my scalp from the sun. Sunscreen isn't an option because i sweat so much it would just end up in my eyes - which is positively horrible if you've ever had that happen.

redir
07-11-2019, 03:00 PM
SOmetimes it's just the simple things...

wombatspeed
07-11-2019, 04:28 PM
No MIPS for our family.

Me: I need a cap either for sun protection or for heat retention.
Everybody else: MIPS is too hot in summer. Reduces air flow quite a bit. And the rubber MIPS bits wrap around and pull on hair...

berserk87
07-11-2019, 08:22 PM

There are two factors at play with regard to this - the first is protection against skull fractures and contusions. Helmets seem to do a good job at mitigating these.

The second is protection against cerebral concussions, which is what I think you are aiming at. That's what MIPS aims to mitigate. This is relatively new ground. It's difficult to control the rate of deceleration of the brain (an inter cranial organ) from the outside. MIPS is kinda the first stab at it. I'd like to see some unbiased efficacy studies myself.

54ny77
07-12-2019, 12:25 AM
http://funnyhole.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Funny-banana-bicycle-helmet.jpg

soulspinner
07-12-2019, 05:53 AM
http://funnyhole.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Funny-banana-bicycle-helmet.jpg

:hello::hello::hello::hello:

clyde the point
07-12-2019, 05:55 AM
I bought this helmet several months ago based on the MIPS addition and it's the best fitting helmet I've ever owned. In Greenville it's in the 90's this time of year so I'm not sure that airflow reduction, if it's even noticeable, makes much difference, it's hot and muggy. Drink dat wa wa and look for the shady side of the road.