PDA

View Full Version : What bike has the best resale value?

dbnm
07-10-2019, 01:30 PM
I've been watching some bikes on ebay (and here) and I'm pretty surprised on how low the resale value is.

So what bike(s) has the best resale value?

colker
07-10-2019, 01:32 PM
Merckx. De Rosa. Sancineto. Sachs. Fat Chance Yo Eddy 10th aniversary. WTB Phoenix.

cgolvin
07-10-2019, 01:36 PM
I would have said (your) Moots ;-)

yinzerniner
07-10-2019, 01:39 PM
Easy. A Schwinn - 360% Profit Baby!
https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/sbbike/pages/497/attachments/original/1493746152/pee-wee-big-adventure.jpg?1493746152

https://www.cinemablend.com/new/Pee-wee-Herman-Bike-Sells-Auction-42016.html

doomridesout
07-10-2019, 01:45 PM
Confente.

denapista
07-10-2019, 02:00 PM
expect to take a loss on every frame you buy. These aren't air cooled 911's. The key is to just get what you feel can contribute to your next build dollar wise, and pass on the stoke for cheap.

Moots are the only bikes I see holding a constant decent value. Considering how much boutique frames are new, don't expect to get much in return.

stien
07-10-2019, 02:00 PM
Confente.

Ding ding ding

kppolich
07-10-2019, 02:05 PM
I consistently see frames with custom geometry sell for a lower value.

Best resale value that I have seen online would be Stinner's, CAAD10s, Allez's, Moots, and Waterford/Gunnar.

tuscanyswe
07-10-2019, 02:08 PM
Its a simple equation.

Timeless good looking bikes with a brand that holds a lot of recognition. Simple as that .)
Then there are the rare ones who are no longer made ofc but different thing.

hokoman
07-10-2019, 02:10 PM
Moots and Pegoretti. Those are the Tacoma's of bicycles. The rest are varying levels of Mercedes.

denapista
07-10-2019, 02:18 PM
Moots Compact SL from 2009 (10yrs old) can still fetch a pretty penny.

Those frames hover around $2000 usd and that's probably close to what it sold for initially.

ltwtsculler91
07-10-2019, 02:23 PM
Serotta Prontos - still fetching 2500+ when they go up for sale and I'm still looking for a 54 to pair with my No22 :help:

That said, in my world my No22 Reactor has the best resale, since it would take about 5x what I paid for it to take it off my hands :banana::banana:

https://thecyclesportexperience.files.wordpress.com/2017/06/img_0996-2.jpg

glepore
07-10-2019, 02:26 PM
Dogpile on Moots. Pretty much everything else is a bloodbath. The Peg thing is temporary. Seven's and Spectrums should be in the discussion, but they are "too" bespoke usually to take a flyer on.

Powerful Pete
07-10-2019, 02:27 PM
Its a simple equation.

Timeless good looking bikes with a brand that holds a lot of recognition. Simple as that .)
Then there are the rare ones who are no longer made ofc but different thing.

Yup. Even without going slightly "exotic" using the Moots example - look at the high end prices of a Colnago (for example). Nothing particularly earth shattering on such a frame, but well known, good pedigree and more than good looking. You should never expect to get back what you put in, money wise, but you will be able to sell for more than pennies on the dollar.

As a counter argument, look at the number of excellent frames that are languishing in the for sale section here - nothing wrong with them but they simply don't have the same market recognition.

Dino Suegiù
07-10-2019, 02:27 PM
I've been watching some bikes on ebay (and here) and I'm pretty surprised on how low the resale value is.

So what bike(s) has the best resale value?
There is no general rule.

I think the "value" of the resale needs to be defined: How much off of the initial purchase price?, and then ongoing depreciation from there.
And then the time frame: 6-months resale from new is clearly different from 5/10 years out.
It is not great, in general.
Bicycles are bad financial investments, in general.

So: Very, very few, depending 99.99% on pedigree, condition, and some collector's level of desire, or some rider's level of "need".

So again there is no general rule, and I definitely do not think it is very brand-specific, except for perhaps for a few very rare and "hallowed" names like the mentioned Confente, Eisentraut, etc., or rare one-off, limited editions (and even at that those things sit on eBay at over-valued $15-20K asking prices for years on end; those Colnagos for instance). Even a NOS Moots 26" HT has very little "value" now, unless one finds that one exact buyer at that exact right time.

Bicycle re-sale values in the majority are not at all positive, just as the vast majority of cars, etc are not. These things sure are not Rolex watches or Tiffany diamonds, where essentially an entire category has positive value. These things are more fleeting, like fashion, and I think future resale market predictability = 0.

eddief
07-10-2019, 02:34 PM
the one YOU want to buy always has the highest resale value.

Bisquik
07-10-2019, 02:41 PM
The Bridgestone X01 has held its value nicely. I believe it retailed for $1000 in 1992 and 1993 would go for around $1250 or $1500...

Powerful Pete
07-10-2019, 02:48 PM
The Bridgestone X01 has held its value nicely. I believe it retailed for $1000 in 1992 and 1993 would go for around $1250 or $1500...

Quirks of the market, no? It was a perfectly fine a bike for the early 90s, but why it would hold its value in such a manner defies logic. Plenty of far nicer frames worth pennies in comparison. :confused:

duff_duffy
07-10-2019, 03:26 PM
I’ve only lost money on two bikes in 10 years....the difference on the two I lost money on? They were new when I bought them. Stick to used and you can buy all kinds of cool stuff that you could not afford new, then resell and buy another used one when you get the desire to change things up. Sometimes takes a while to sell stuff if you want top dollar but if you have unique and desirable stuff it will sell in time - I’ve found titanium and steel bikes from the elite builders hold value well (after the initial and often significant depreciation hit the original new owner took).

Dino Suegiù
07-10-2019, 03:29 PM
Quirks of the market, no? It was a perfectly fine a bike for the early 90s, but why it would hold its value in such a manner defies logic. Plenty of far nicer frames worth pennies in comparison. :confused:
Indeed.
Almost exclusively sentimental "value" I think, on these and similar.

buddybikes
07-10-2019, 03:32 PM
1970sh Cinelli

colker
07-10-2019, 04:16 PM
Indeed.
Almost exclusively sentimental "value" I think, on these and similar.

XO1s have a peculiar set of design parameters which you cannot(could not for quite some time) find in other bike: 26in wheel, clearance for fat tires, road geometry, canti brakes. It´s a city bike w/ fast acceleration. It´s a zippy bike. Maybe there is something contemporary on the same vector but for decades it stood alone so it´s all rational and not emotional.
Moots, Masi, this and that... they are road bikes w/ more or less luxury appeal.

gngroup
07-10-2019, 04:16 PM
Moots and Colnago and maybe Hampsten

Burnette
07-10-2019, 04:20 PM
What bike has the best resale value? A free one, of course.

beeatnik
07-10-2019, 04:35 PM
A two-month old S-Works Tarmac Sl6 Disc with AXS and those weird ZIPP shark wheels.

Festkas tambien.

dpdan93
07-10-2019, 04:37 PM
Moots resale value is insane

Nomadmax
07-10-2019, 05:00 PM
the one YOU want to buy always has the highest resale value.

Ain't it the truth!

kingpin75s
07-10-2019, 06:01 PM
Charlie Cunningham

fiamme red
07-10-2019, 06:05 PM
A Pegoretti, sold with a Pegoretti pump. ;)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pegoretti-Silca-SuperPista-Ciavete-Final-Edition/153164789537

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pegoretti-8-30-AM-54cm-brand-new-Campagnolo-pack-rims-zip-stem-ships-free/302939459267

joosttx
07-10-2019, 06:20 PM
Confente.

Truth

joosttx
07-10-2019, 06:20 PM
44 Mauraders.... I hope

charliedid
07-10-2019, 06:24 PM
A Pegoretti, sold with a Pegoretti pump. ;)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pegoretti-Silca-SuperPista-Ciavete-Final-Edition/153164789537

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pegoretti-8-30-AM-54cm-brand-new-Campagnolo-pack-rims-zip-stem-ships-free/302939459267

Sad

The photo of that bike

Lanternrouge
07-10-2019, 07:06 PM
I expect to not be able to recoup what I spent on selling anything. Often times when I'm evaluating how good a "deal" something is, I consider what I could sell it for if I decide not to keep it to compare whether the amount of money that would be lost to the enjoyment I could get from it. Something else to consider is that the further you are from the fat part of the bell curve in terms of sizing, the more likely it is going to be harder to sell.

Of things currently still being made, I also have to agree with others that Moots seems to be at the top for resale. I think they hold "value" better than the smaller builders simply because they've built a great brand for the folks who want Ti bikes.

Bikes can be a great investment, just not financially in terms of resale.

EliteVelo
07-10-2019, 07:30 PM
1970sh Cinelli

Agree. I had an original Cinelli Laser at one point, and damn do I wish I had that back.

Matthew
07-10-2019, 08:13 PM
Hmm. I've got two Moots and a Colnago! Maybe now's the time to sell!! Nope.

nobuseri
07-10-2019, 08:41 PM
Across the board, probably have to agree with the Moots statements. They seem to hold solid value.

HugoBear
07-10-2019, 08:45 PM
Moots
Pegoretti
Open Up

peanutgallery
07-10-2019, 08:51 PM
If you're basing your bike choice on resale value...you're doing it wrong. Buy what fits and pleases, repeat when necessary

It's a cheap sport, enjoy it

cgolvin
07-10-2019, 08:54 PM
Hmm. I've got two Moots and a Colnago! Maybe now's the time to sell!! Nope.

I have had two Colnagos for sale for more than a year, and despite several price drops…

As someone said, it's all about finding the right buyer—the value is what that person will pay

AngryScientist
07-10-2019, 09:13 PM
I say “who cares” I buy bikes to ride and enjoy, not as an investment.

It’s kind of like a good steak dinner. Consider the money gone and enjoy the ride.

Edit: I use this philosophy for everything but real estate. Even cars; I buy used trucks and use them until they have zero value and either sell to college kids or donate.

Clean39T
07-10-2019, 09:16 PM
I say “who cares” I buy bikes to ride and enjoy, not as an investment.

It’s kind of like a good steak dinner. Consider the money gone and enjoy the ride.

+1

Or a glass of good Scotch.. Savor the flavor. Make memories. Enjoy life. Be excellent to eachother. That's where the lasting value is...

[emoji481]

That and Campy..

54ny77
07-10-2019, 09:17 PM
the worst resale values are typically 54-55 moots vamoots sl's or compact sl's. if you have one, i'll help a brother out and trade you a case of bud light now before your bike goes to zero.

pbarry
07-10-2019, 10:09 PM
Truth

And early Tom-made Ritchey mtbs.

NoMoreParagon
07-10-2019, 10:39 PM
Really depends on color and how modern is it.
A disc brake with post mount will be heavily discounted for example.

A carbon bike with pressfit will be discounted.

A bike that is classy, understated and well put together will be easier to sell.

I sold many bikes, custom and not. Custom bikes don’t necessarily gets more discount. If they are put together nicely they will sell well.

In general all the high end titanium bikes (Moots, Mosaic, Firefly, Passoni) sell real well.

Seven less so but still ok.

Pego, Stelbel, Speedvagen equally well.

Colnago sells well only if you have a C60 or C64.

Now gravel bikes are hot. Open UP, Ibis Hakka, Rodeo Labs, 3T esploro sell well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colker
07-10-2019, 11:28 PM
And early Tom-made Ritchey mtbs.

That´s a whole other level of bike value you bring to the table now. 80s Ritcheys (Annapurnas!), Salsa (Scoboni), Cunninghams(!!), early Potts... those are royalty on the vintage market scene.

alancw3
07-11-2019, 02:52 AM
modern production-moots for sure.

Hilltopperny
07-11-2019, 05:01 AM
I think the market is a bit funny. I agree that modern Moots seem to have a good resale value, but what about a 2014 Moots Routt with cantilever brakes, max clearance of 35mm tire and regular dropouts?

The market for a bike like this is miniscule and although its modern all the standards are wrong for 99% of buyers. It is still a great riding bike, but with no wet discs, thru axles and limited tire clearance where would it be put value wise in todays market?

Sent from my LGL423DL using Tapatalk

PQJ
07-11-2019, 05:26 AM
It seems like Moots is the clear winner here.

Can someone help me understand this? No disrespect to the company / brand, and I’m sure they make high quality products, but they have always struck me as kind of plain. What’s so special?

Hilltopperny
07-11-2019, 05:45 AM

Can someone help me understand this? No disrespect to the company / brand, and I’m sure they make high quality products, but they have always struck me as kind of plain. What’s so special?I've owned a few and they are great riding frames. They have been around for a long time which brings brand recognition. The welds are some of the tightest and nicest I've ever seen. They will last forever with basic maintenance.

If you like an industrial looking bike and want a great ride then it is hard not to love Moots.

Bonesbrigade
07-11-2019, 06:02 AM
Selling my English has never entered my mind. That being said, I don’t think I have ever seen one for sale? I don’t troll the classifieds too often, so maybe I’m just not seeing them or maybe there just aren’t that many out there.

I’m sure an English would hold its value fairly well assuming it wasn’t overly custom - if you know what I mean.

happycampyer
07-11-2019, 06:04 AM

Can someone help me understand this? No disrespect to the company / brand, and I’m sure they make high quality products, but they have always struck me as kind of plain. What’s so special?I have owned many Moots over the years (Compact SL, Vamoots SL, Psychlo-X, first generation RSL, all sold, and still own an early generation Psychlo-X YBB disc), have followed the market for their bikes for nearly 20 years, and have to agree with Hilltopperny a couple of posts above. I believe that Moots hold their value very well relative to a comparable frame from other builders, but with all of the changes in standards that have occurred over the years (e.g., on road bikes, 1” steerers to 1.125” steerers to tapered steerers; and then the transition to discs, and within that category, from post mount to flat mount, road to gravel, etc.), not all Moots hold their value relative to their original price equally well. I would add to that the fact that 5 to 10 or more years ago, Moots were relative bargains compared to many of their boutique/custom peers, but their prices have crept up over the years and that differential isn’t what it used to be.

There are lots of reasons why Moots frames hold their value (relatively) well, which have been discussed here before. They tend(ed) to keep their model line simple (not really the case any more), offer mostly stock geometry, have very high manufacturing standards, don’t offer wild and crazy finish options, and have always had a very loyal customer base. For the bikes I mentioned above that I’ve sold, they each fetched ~60% of their price when new, which is about as high a resale value you’ll find in any production bike.

The extreme counterpoint to that is the Psychlo-X YBB disc that I still own. I didn’t buy it new, thankfully, but if I had I would have taken a bath. It was way ahead of its time: 130mm spacing, canti studs and post-mount mechanical brakes, 1.125” steerer, older style YBB, etc. It’s a more extreme example than the one Hilltopperny gave above (a Routt with post-mount brakes), but all of these go to prove a point. Each of these would fare better than say a comparable DeSalvo or Strong, but that’s not saying much if the market as a whole has left the standards behind.

El Chaba
07-11-2019, 07:31 AM
No bike holds any value in today's market. As participation in the sport and the market for the equipment both shrink from their high points a few years back, 'the industry" has tried to prop up the falling sales by creating a constant stream of new products. The result has been that certain changes have rendered even bikes just several years old incompatible with many of the new developments and "obsolete" in the eyes of many consumers. Bike shops can't move deeply discounted new bikes with rim brakes. The used market is even worse. the situation might improve, but not in the near future. There are just a lot of bikes with fewer people participating. Of course the really good and/or collectible stuff maintains more value, but I don't see a bright future for that in the next several years. As people age out of the sport, there is a smaller pool of people who are interested in the vintage bikes of a given era. Who will care about a nice 1970's DeRosa, Colmago, Masi or Confente? Fewer if any is my answer. I say buy the bargains if you want them, but understand that the person who values the bike the most is you.

HugoBear
07-11-2019, 08:59 AM
No bike holds any value in today's market. As participation in the sport and the market for the equipment both shrink from their high points a few years back, 'the industry" has tried to prop up the falling sales by creating a constant stream of new products. The result has been that certain changes have rendered even bikes just several years old incompatible with many of the new developments and "obsolete" in the eyes of many consumers. Bike shops can't move deeply discounted new bikes with rim brakes. The used market is even worse. the situation might improve, but not in the near future. There are just a lot of bikes with fewer people participating. Of course the really good and/or collectible stuff maintains more value, but I don't see a bright future for that in the next several years. As people age out of the sport, there is a smaller pool of people who are interested in the vintage bikes of a given era. Who will care about a nice 1970's DeRosa, Colmago, Masi or Confente? Fewer if any is my answer. I say buy the bargains if you want them, but understand that the person who values the bike the most is you.

Totally agree with this.

Mr. Pink
07-11-2019, 11:11 AM
Travel to Chianti right before the Eroica with a few older bikes that are valid for the ride, and I'm betting you will be happy with their sudden jump in value.

everbeek
07-11-2019, 01:02 PM
New frame in June 1999 - $2,000. Seventeen years and 100,000 km later sold frame for $2,150.

denapista
07-11-2019, 01:08 PM
I think the market is a bit funny. I agree that modern Moots seem to have a good resale value, but what about a 2014 Moots Routt with cantilever brakes, max clearance of 35mm tire and regular dropouts?

The market for a bike like this is miniscule and although its modern all the standards are wrong for 99% of buyers. It is still a great riding bike, but with no wet discs, thru axles and limited tire clearance where would it be put value wise in todays market?

The Moots Routt came out right before a sleuth of better options.. Cantilever brakes are pretty much obsolete and I recall Moots missing the mark with the geo on those bikes. You can get a All City/Crust/Whatever hip frame for a fraction of the price of a Routt. I personally like the Routt frames, but that's the one frame that almost made Moots jump the shark IMHO. It's weird how the modern Moots bikes don't hold value, but the older models do. I guess you can associate that to eriksen working there in the earlier days and the longevity of the material.

fbhidy
07-11-2019, 01:43 PM
New frame in June 1999 - $2,000. Seventeen years and 100,000 km later sold frame for $2,150.

Inflation Calculator would indicate anything less than $2,881.24 would be considered a loss in value.

That being said, I would have been happy selling a $2000 bicycle for $2150 17 years later

Bicycles are very rarely a good 'monetary' return on investment.

weisan
07-11-2019, 02:51 PM
Used Bromptons & Bike Fridays

colker
07-11-2019, 04:01 PM
Value of a bicycle= how much you have ridden the bicycle.
Anything else is a losing proposition.

charliedid
07-11-2019, 04:59 PM

Beautiful, regardless of cost.

jmoore
07-11-2019, 05:10 PM
Definitely nothing larger than 60cm will bring back any money.

d_douglas
07-11-2019, 05:37 PM
The comment about technologies is true. Disc bikes with QR axles, no drilling for electronic systems, traditional disc cable housing and straight headtubes can drive the price down (sp the disc issues). I sold a ti disc Desalvo here late last year and it was a gorgeous bike, but the tech was dated, so it was priced accordingly.

Ironically, the older the tech, the more timeless the design is: rim brakes, a straight HT, etc. like a 10yr old Moots mean that it is a 'classic' bike.

My Desalvo, nice as it was, was stuck somewhere in the middle of modern and classic.

Clean39T
07-11-2019, 05:47 PM

Center-to-Center or Center-to-Top??? :banana:

82Picchio
07-11-2019, 06:50 PM
Brian Baylis.

82Picchio
07-11-2019, 06:51 PM

But how much did you pay for the JB repaint?

uber
07-11-2019, 06:55 PM
I have sold a few bikes and can't say I did well on the sale of my Moots, Spectrum, Eriksen or Cervelo. I did ok on a Peg and the best on a Speedvagen. Like others, I buy the bikes I really want to ride with little expectation of getting back a significant amount of the cost. If the OP is trying to enjoy a great bike in the most economic way, a used Moots, Peg or a Colnago would be my recommendation. An MXL would probably be a great choice too. Buying new, however....not as good.

ColonelJLloyd
07-11-2019, 06:58 PM
Lynskey

Llewellyn
07-11-2019, 07:03 PM
Considering that my frame by Dazza is on the smaller side of what most people seem to ride and it has "Carl's bike" on the top tube I imagine that there's probably zero resale market for it. Maybe it's just as well that I plan to keep riding it until I can't ride anymore :)

everbeek
07-11-2019, 09:08 PM
But how much did you pay for the JB repaint?

It was always white. Richard Sachs frame bike colors have always been whatever the customer wanted. Red was popular.
-Mike

pbarry
07-11-2019, 09:46 PM
Lynskey

Well done. :beer:

9tubes
07-12-2019, 12:17 AM
Another point on a Ti bike like Moots/Ericksen is that the material doesn't age and can always be re-brushed or blasted. Add decals and the bike looks and rides identically to when it was new. Steel can rust, carbon can crack, but Ti just keeps going.

martl
07-12-2019, 04:38 AM
I bought a pre-owned Vamoots frameset, rode it a couple of years, and sold it on for the same amount.
If you get a Colnago top-of-the-line model and take good care of it, it should not devalue much, same to a lesser extent about Bianchis (provided they're in celeste). Can't say the same about many other marques. A 1950ies Rene Herse maybe :banana:

Andrevich4
07-31-2019, 02:20 PM
The one you don’t ride.

don'TreadOnMe
07-31-2019, 03:19 PM
A Don McClung 29er

cgolvin
07-31-2019, 05:10 PM

Those on the other side of the size spectrum suffer just as much.
Alas.

berserk87
07-31-2019, 05:37 PM
Judging by the makeup of this forum, it appears that Serotta is the answer.

Lanternrouge
07-31-2019, 06:49 PM
Judging by the makeup of this forum, it appears that Serotta is the answer.

I think they are quite popular among forumites, but I don't think the resale value is particularly great.

dbnm
07-31-2019, 06:50 PM
I've been watching a few Allied bikes on ebay and they are taking a beating.