PDA

View Full Version : Most comfortable Saddle ever made

shankldu
07-10-2019, 12:29 PM
For long distance , reguardless of price and weight , of course everyone is diff but trying to add opinions up I have tried brooks ,gel flow ,had a terry fly some years back and it was very good but the new ones r diff .

Dave
07-10-2019, 12:34 PM
I'd give SMP saddles a try. The trick is finding the right one from their many models. If you get the width right, then try something with standard or heavier padding. Angle is critical, so notchy post adjustment is not good enough.

KarlC
07-10-2019, 12:39 PM
By far its Berk, and for me its the Berk Lupina padded, if you have not tried a Berk you are missing out.

See more here ......

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=219366

Big Dan
07-10-2019, 12:45 PM
Bontrager Serano has worked well for me.
If you like the San Marco Regal you will like it too.

MilanoTom
07-10-2019, 12:48 PM
In the past, I've ridden Flites, Turbomatics and leather Brooks. Right now, I have a Regal on one bike and a Brooks C-17 Cambium on the other. I'm reasonably pleased with both, but I still wonder if there's something better out there...

pdonk
07-10-2019, 12:49 PM
In the past, I've ridden Flites, Turbomatics …..

Coming from these in the past as well - I have really like Fizik Antares VS and the new Antares VS EVO.

mass_biker
07-10-2019, 01:04 PM
1 - Concor Light...I have 3 all in use - if someone has a bead on one let me know!

2 - Flite

3 - Brooks B17

Ralph
07-10-2019, 01:08 PM
I've switched from the popular names of the past to something newer. Currently riding a Selle Royal Scientia. Comes in 3 widths, with a scalloped out area for the soft stuff. Easy to dial in. Height, angle, etc. Long rails. Thick padding. Not super light, but comfort more important.

NHAero
07-10-2019, 02:08 PM
Terry Liberator Race
147mm width, some gel, and at 260g is the same weight as the Specialized Taupes and Romin I have that are less comfy.

Tickdoc
07-10-2019, 02:11 PM
Too hard to say and wrong person to ask. Big fan of Fizik Arione here, but I'm not much of a saddle snob. Worst was fabric scoop for me. Sores in weird places, which is rare for me. First best was a Cinelli Volare. I like Prologo, I like Berthoud aspin, I like Old Flyte's, but I keep gravitating back to Arione's.

ltwtsculler91
07-10-2019, 02:18 PM
.... Big fan of Fizik Arione here, but I'm not much of a saddle snob. Worst was fabric scoop for me. Sores in weird places, which is rare for me....

Funny, I can't ride an Arione for more than 15 mins, but the Fabric's have been my favorite saddles. I prefer the Fabric ALM, but the Scoop Shallow with the same profile is also great, on longer rides I do prefer the ALM but have done 8+ hour days on both...

Best thing with saddles is a guess and check, find a shop that will let you test a few and figure out what works.

d_douglas
07-10-2019, 03:00 PM
all this to say that you probably cant get a straight answer from anyone here - it is all up to your anatomy to determine.

My gold standard is a San Marco Regal - I have commuted on one for years and it is such a natural feeling thing to sit on that I don't even bother looking at it - I forget about it. That said, you may hate it.

I have never used a Brooks leather saddle, but I cant really recall anyone saying they are uncomfortable. They're not my cuppa tea, but they have a long track record of being awesome saddles!

OtayBW
07-10-2019, 03:01 PM
...it is all up to your anatomy to determine.
Thank-you!

That said, I've been exclusively on a Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow for 12+ years and have no interest in looking elsewhere - for me....

duff_duffy
07-10-2019, 03:31 PM
I’m a male and yet my favorite saddle of all time was a woman’s saddle that is now on my sons bike. I was kind of embarrassed when someone pointed it out to me but got over it real quick!

mtechnica
07-10-2019, 03:37 PM
Selle Italia SLR 2nd place old school flite

Clancy
07-10-2019, 03:42 PM
I’m a male and yet my favorite saddle of all time was a woman’s saddle that is now on my sons bike. I was kind of embarrassed when someone pointed it out to me but got over it real quick!

Me too

Powerful Pete
07-10-2019, 03:44 PM
OP - a challenging question as I suspect you will get as many responses as there are cyclists.

But here goes:

1. Mostest, bestest super comfy for my rear-end ever: San Marco Rolls; and
2. Good enough in that I try to mount it on all my "modern" bikes - Airone.

Jef58
07-10-2019, 04:57 PM
By far its Berk, and for me its the Berk Lupina padded, if you have not tried a Berk you are missing out.

See more here ......

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=219366

I agree. The Berk Lupina is a very comfortable saddle...and a pretty good vendor here as well.:)

Dino Suegiù
07-10-2019, 05:20 PM
I agree. The Berk Lupina is a very comfortable saddle...and a pretty good vendor here as well.:)

Too rich for me but those sure are really beautiful, especially the custom cover ones.

I will stick with Arione CX unless I win the lottery.

tuscanyswe
07-10-2019, 05:25 PM

Its perhaps the prettiest saddle that is ok to sit on :)

I have had 2. First broke. Got replacement. Was okay for almost a year. Now that broke while i was in the process of ordering another which has taken so far more than a month and i get a reply every other week or so but i still cant pay or order the saddle.. Not happy about their customer service atm tbh. And now i got another broken one to deal with.. argh.

This is from a guy who never broke a saddle ever before despite riding a lot more than most.

kingpin75s
07-10-2019, 05:29 PM
Selle Italia Flite Gel Flow Titanium
or
B17 Titanium

m4rk540
07-10-2019, 05:38 PM
To paraphrase Dario, a bicycle is not a sofa.

To state the obvious, YMMV.

To offer a valuable opionion, the most comfortable saddle is like the most refreshing bottled water.

Willy
07-10-2019, 05:39 PM
Anyone try a custom one from Meld - looks interesting to me.

https://www.meld3d.com/

pdmtong
07-10-2019, 07:06 PM
There's a short list of saddle parameters - figure out what you like and then ask the question of which one within those design parameters.

for me, I like
- narrow
- flat
- firm

sooooo I like Fizik Arione CX (300 x 130)

I do not like Fabric Scoop, Fizik Alliante (both are not flat)

I do not like Fizik Antares (the tail digs into me)

I had a Terry Fly - liked it. But I like Arione CX more. Literallya PITA to buy and try, but not sure how else to do it.

Daveyk
07-10-2019, 08:05 PM
Selle anitomica nsx

Elefantino
07-10-2019, 08:11 PM
Saddles are like shoes because butts are like feet. Everyone has them and no two are alike.

There are some of us on this forum who have spent years and lots of dollars on this quest. It's really the only way.

Good luck!

charliedid
07-10-2019, 08:42 PM
To paraphrase Dario, a bicycle is not a sofa.

To state the obvious, YMMV.

To offer a valuable opionion, the most comfortable saddle is like the most refreshing bottled water.

Thank You

gianni
07-11-2019, 12:23 AM
Selle Italia Flite Gel Flow Titanium
or
B17 Titanium

Agree 100% for old skool genuine gel. Done.:banana:

Hilltopperny
07-11-2019, 05:14 AM
For me it is berthoud saddles. I use the Galibier/Soulor on the majority of my bikes and probably ride without a chamois at least 1/3 of my rides. They are well made and comfortable for long rides.

Sent from my LGL423DL using Tapatalk

weisan
07-11-2019, 05:21 AM
One thing I noticed.

When I am not fit or having other health-related issues, everything gets amplified. I blame my equipment/saddle. I spent a lot of money looking for quick fixes. Most don't work...not until I fix "me'.

EliteVelo
07-11-2019, 06:20 AM
Its perhaps the prettiest saddle that is ok to sit on :)

I have had 2. First broke. Got replacement. Was okay for almost a year. Now that broke while i was in the process of ordering another which has taken so far more than a month and i get a reply every other week or so but i still cant pay or order the saddle.. Not happy about their customer service atm tbh. And now i got another broken one to deal with.. argh.

This is from a guy who never broke a saddle ever before despite riding a lot more than most.

Mind if I ask where you purchased them? I would be more than happy to send some emails and help expedite the process.

Cicli
07-11-2019, 06:36 AM

I pointed out that a Specialized Power everyone loved was a “women’s fit” saddle. Shorter and wider. Nobody cared because it was cool.
Ride what fits, no sense in being uncomfortable.

earlofwarwick
07-11-2019, 08:33 AM
Ridden a ton of saddles, including many of the newer styles, and I still come back to a Selle Regal. It's heavy, but I can ride it forever. Saddles are so personal tho. Most of my friends are rolling on some version of the power saddles these days. They seem to dig them.

tuscanyswe
07-11-2019, 08:40 AM
Mind if I ask where you purchased them? I would be more than happy to send some emails and help expedite the process.

Thanks appreciated, but its Jure ive been talking to.

oldpotatoe
07-11-2019, 10:52 AM
For long distance , reguardless of price and weight , of course everyone is diff but trying to add opinions up I have tried brooks ,gel flow ,had a terry fly some years back and it was very good but the new ones r diff .

No answer but try a saddle that has a test ride program where you can actually ride it for extended rides.
I use SMP Gliders, btw-work great.....for me.

steveoz
07-13-2019, 11:48 PM
I gotta admit the Selle SMP 209 Lite fits my butt pretty well, have a Specialized Power saddle that I truly, thoroughly despise...

bironi
07-14-2019, 01:41 AM
and what is you favorite pair of undies?
opinions may vary.
:beer:

macaroon
07-14-2019, 06:35 AM
It's a bit of a stupid question as the rest of your fit determines the type of saddle you need. I'm sure plenty of people love those Brookes saddles, but when your handlebars are 10 or more centimetres lower than your saddle, maybe not so much. I like the Giant Contact Forward saddle, it's shaped a bit like a Specialized Romin or an SMP, but doesn't carry a price premium. Fabric saddles or those stub nosed saddles (Pro and Specialized Power) are generally well like as well.

Bob Ross
07-14-2019, 06:47 AM
I do not like Fabric Scoop, Fizik Alliante (both are not flat)

Ha! Conversely, I've had a fizik Aliante on all of my bikes for the past 13 years, and have never ridden another saddle that would make me not want to continue with the Aliante as my go-to ...until I picked up a bike with a Fabric Scoop, and realized that A) it was comfy enough that I didn't need to immediately change it out to an Aliante, and B) if fizik ever completely stops making the Aliante* I could probably get away with the Fabric Scoop as my go-to.

Because we're all different.

*(Arguably that's already happened.)

unterhausen
07-14-2019, 07:06 AM
I have an Aliante on all my bikes now. It's not perfect, and I probably tilt them down a bit more than they intend. I have ridden 5 1200km/1000km brevets on them without serious issue. That shape probably works best with a fairly upright position. I really wanted to like the Airone, and it passed my 100 mile test, but I finally gave up on it.

grateful
07-14-2019, 08:06 AM
I can't remember ever thinking about my saddle when I rode one of these

Mzilliox
07-14-2019, 08:24 AM
i assume this is supposed to be a question...

My favorite 2 are fabric scoop shallow and Berk Lupina

Likes2ridefar
07-14-2019, 08:41 AM
One thing I noticed.

When I am not fit or having other health-related issues, everything gets amplified. I blame my equipment/saddle. I spent a lot of money looking for quick fixes. Most don't work...not until I fix "me'.

Very much agree. When I was a pseudo pro I could ride on any saddle I was given in the cheapest bibs with a sandpaper chamois. Didn’t really have much say in the matter so glad that worked out...

For me though, fizik Antares 00 gets my money. Even out of shape it works for a few hours but when flying I can ride it all day with zero discomfort.

Climb01742
07-14-2019, 05:10 PM
For me though, fizik Antares 00 gets my money. Even out of shape it works for a few hours but when flying I can ride it all day with zero discomfort.

Curious...do other Antares models work for you, too, or is it just the 00? If it is just the 00, any idea why? After much saddle hell, I’m zeroing in on the Antares as the saddle that may (fingers crossed) be my go to. So curious about various versions of Antares. Thx!

spinarelli
07-14-2019, 07:35 PM
My old faithful is a 15 year old brooks swift ti and the SMP Glider. In he past my go to saddle was the 90’s Flite Ti. I had so many of these flites.
I really didn’t like the Fabric Scoop. It hurt in all the wrong places.
Brooks C13 was too narrow for me and the wider cambium shredded my pants between my thighs.
I really liked the way the C13 and the fabric scoop looked on my bike, visually, I just couldn’t get comfortable on them.

Hellgate
07-14-2019, 07:50 PM
Love my C15, but didn't we already have a thread on this???

Likes2ridefar
07-14-2019, 10:04 PM
Curious...do other Antares models work for you, too, or is it just the 00? If it is just the 00, any idea why? After much saddle hell, I’m zeroing in on the Antares as the saddle that may (fingers crossed) be my go to. So curious about various versions of Antares. Thx!

I’ve used a few models and they all work though they do feel a bit different. the 00 seems to have different padding. While super thin with almost no give it feels bottomless. It’s also much stiffer in the frame and sags less in the middle. I find it the most comfortable. A few teammates that used cheaper models for awhile said it flexed more in the middle and ultimately started to sag. I never had that happen though but perhaps never used them long enough.

The 00 is pricey but will last years if you don’t crash or lean it against abrasive walls. It is pretty easy to scuff that way So be careful if you get one.

For setting it, I use a level and make it flat then tip it down ever so slightly nose down. The bubble is still well within the center of the level lines...

Climb01742
07-15-2019, 07:26 AM
I’ve used a few models and they all work though they do feel a bit different. the 00 seems to have different padding. While super thin with almost no give it feels bottomless. It’s also much stiffer in the frame and sags less in the middle. I find it the most comfortable. A few teammates that used cheaper models for awhile said it flexed more in the middle and ultimately started to sag. I never had that happen though but perhaps never used them long enough.

The 00 is pricey but will last years if you don’t crash or lean it against abrasive walls. It is pretty easy to scuff that way So be careful if you get one.

For setting it, I use a level and make it flat then tip it down ever so slightly nose down. The bubble is still well within the center of the level lines...

Thank you! Very helpful info. Now to find one on sale.;)

madsciencenow
07-15-2019, 07:59 AM

I've noticed this same difference between the arione r1 and other models (never tried the arione 00)

weiwentg
07-15-2019, 09:13 AM
No answer but try a saddle that has a test ride program where you can actually ride it for extended rides.

That begs the question: I know that Selle SMP and Fizik have saddle test programs. Which other manufacturers do?

benb
07-15-2019, 09:33 AM
Proper cleat positioning is the most important thing for me.

If my cleats are off my pedal stroke just drags my sitbones out of alignment and wrecks everything.

I have Arione VS saddles on both my bikes and with good bike fit they are fine for 10+ hours for me and I won't even really have any irritation at all.

I also have a Fizik Tundra M5 on my on my MTB.. it is based on the Arione and is a VS design, but it has the long tail chopped off and is 3-4mm narrower... it is actually better than the Arione for me. If I'm feeling rich at some point I will switch my road bikes over to it. I really seem to have narrow sitbones and narrower saddles give me a lot less friction on my thighs.

Likes2ridefar
07-15-2019, 12:45 PM
Thank you! Very helpful info. Now to find one on sale.;)

I saved a heap on the two I have by getting them from Amazon warehouse. They said used but came brand new. Cost a little over 100 each.

tuscanyswe
07-16-2019, 05:50 PM
Id like to say that even tho it took some time to sort out Berk saddles really came out and went out of their way to help me fix the issues i had. A job well done and i think this forums own EliteVelo had a thing or 2 to do with it.
:hello: thank you!

EliteVelo
07-16-2019, 08:38 PM
Id like to say that even tho it took some time to sort out Berk saddles really came out and went out of their way to help me fix the issues i had. A job well done and i think this forums own EliteVelo had a thing or 2 to do with it.
:hello: thank you!

My pleasure.....happy that it all worked out.:)