PDA

View Full Version : OT-afib and cardioconversion

oldpotatoe
07-10-2019, 11:05 AM
Adding this post as I get my first ever in about 4 hours..yikes, kinda, pretty worried even tho the interweb says pretty safe.

Have you ever had a cardioconversion? I ask because I'm in the middle of my 6th episode in the last 14 years..last one was 2011..all converted by themselves(with Rythmol and a beta blocker)is 18 hours or less...MD says no to Rythmol due to potential side effects....so..afib started 5pm Sunday..now 10am Wednesday(60 hours or so)..scheduled for cardioconversion(CLEAR-ZAP)..at 1:30..hope it works, this afib stuff wears you out. When normal rhythm, no drugs.

BTW-been on Eliquis(anti coagulant) for a PE 3 years ago so have that part covered..anybody else that have been zapped, would love to hear your experiences??

Mshue
07-10-2019, 11:55 AM
I have not, but have dealt with aFib and want to wish you the best of luck!

Steve in SLO
07-10-2019, 12:24 PM
Electrical cardioversion is very safe, and it is a rarity for it to make things worse. It is between 80 and 90% effective, but there is no guarantee that your a-fib is not going to come back relatively quickly afterward. The biggest complaint is a little bit of skin irritation/redness where the paddles were placed. It can either be from the electricity or the adhesive used.
I hope they will give you something like Versed to disassociate the unpleasant sensation of electricity going through your skin, and potentially make you forget you were ever shocked.
Good luck and try not to worry about it (easy for me to say). You should feel pretty peppy soon afterward.

oldpotatoe
07-10-2019, 12:30 PM
Electrical cardioversion is very safe, and it is a rarity for it to make things worse. It is between 80 and 90% effective, but there is no guarantee that your a-fib is not going to come back relatively quickly afterward. The biggest complaint is a little bit of skin irritation/redness where the paddles were placed. It can either be from the electricity or the adhesive used.
I hope they will give you something like Versed to disassociate the unpleasant sensation of electricity going through your skin, and potentially make you forget you were ever shocked.
Good luck and try not to worry about it (easy for me to say). You should feel pretty peppy soon afterward.

Thanks..I suspect this episode is a combo of 4 cups of coffee(TdF) followed by very light breakfast, and then at 3, 3 quick beers, no water..’Seems’ alcohol related. Got be smarter. They said something to put to sleep(not versad), for a short 5 minutes or so. Thanks.

Steve in SLO
07-10-2019, 12:49 PM
Probably propofol. Safe.
4 cups of coffee+3 beers=a fib. Something to remember.
FWIW several years ago I had some episodes of arrhythmia that would keep me awake at night if I drank more than two Redhook Longhammer IPAs. It was very specific to this beer. Even went and got a stress test and echo done, all good. Stopped drinking that and haven’t had a problem since. It may not just be the alcohol, but something else like hop profile.

charliedid
07-10-2019, 01:12 PM
Adding this post as I get my first ever in about 4 hours..yikes, kinda, pretty worried even tho the interweb says pretty safe.

Have you ever had a cardioconversion? I ask because I'm in the middle of my 6th episode in the last 14 years..last one was 2011..all converted by themselves(with Rythmol and a beta blocker)is 18 hours or less...MD says no to Rythmol due to potential side effects....so..afib started 5pm Sunday..now 10am Wednesday(60 hours or so)..scheduled for cardioconversion(CLEAR-ZAP)..at 1:30..hope it works, this afib stuff wears you out. When normal rhythm, no drugs.

BTW-been on Eliquis(anti coagulant) for a PE 3 years ago so have that part covered..anybody else that have been zapped, would love to hear your experiences??

I have no experience with the condition ( though I have a leaky aorta that flutters at times) but I think you are right in thinking it's safe. A bit scary yes but generally safe.

I did however electrocute myself pretty good as a teen and as far as I can tell at least 25% of brain still works fine ;-)

It's a tough thing to think about and most get freaked when you bring up heart issues. I had heart surgery at 2.5 months in 1963

We know a lot more in 2019

Be well

Ralph
07-10-2019, 01:19 PM
Wishing you well.

Bentley
07-10-2019, 01:21 PM
A good friend, former AF pilot developed the condition in his 40's, he had the electro shock thing, said it does not feel to pleasant. He never mentioned getting any meds to put him to sleep because he drives himself home after the treatment. He says that it works in varying degrees, sometimes he goes months without requiring a treatment, other times just weeks/days, so apparently the results are not always consistent.

I will add, he likes to drink beer, so if that is a potential contributor he is just not following Dr's orders.

BTW, I am hoping all goes well and that the treatment is successful. These kinds of medical conditions seem to be more pervasive, or at least you hear more about them now.

Best

Ray

gasman
07-10-2019, 01:35 PM
I’ve given the anesthetic for cardioversions 100’s of times over my career. Nowadays we use propofol, great drug. You fall asleep then wake up quickly and are clear headed after a very short time. It’s pretty successful just not a 100% as it really depends on the underlying cause.

Best of luck, you won’t remember a thing. As Steve said you may have some red, irritated skin where the cardio version pads are placed. Oh , they won’t let you drive yourself home.

Hindmost
07-10-2019, 01:53 PM
Best wishes for a speedy recovery. I've been down an atrial fib path also. Cardiologist always reminded me: be careful with alcohol and coffee.

Dino Suegiù
07-10-2019, 02:00 PM
Yes, if propofol is used for the c-c (isn't propofol also common in colonoscopies, gasman?) it is very effective. Immediate sedation, wake up quickly (maybe 15-30 seconds max of "where am I?" fuzziness upon return), completely clear after that, apparently out of the system entirely in a matter of hours. No side effects that I ever noticed.

But, like gasman wrote, no unaccompanied transport of any kind (they will not even let you ride your bicycle home, bus/cab/car only if with a companion, or else authorized medical transport).

Best wishes, op.

berserk87
07-10-2019, 02:31 PM
One of my best pals has SVT during rides. We were doing 10 minute efforts last night in near 90 degree heat and his heart rate spiked to 250bpm on the first interval.

His was likely caused by a combination of high heat and not enough warm up. Seems like he doesn't have the SVT when he eases into a ride gradually.

His triggers are like yours otherwise. Caffeine and/or alcohol on ride days or eves.

He's had to have his heart "reset" like yours a couple of times.

Most often he can back off during a ride and his HR will return to baseline within a couple of minutes - usually he's then good to go for the rest of the ride. Usually.

Rpoole8537
07-10-2019, 02:57 PM
I had one five years ago. My a fib and a flutter was too far gone to respond. It was not a big deal. Had to have ablation 30 days later. Now, all is good but I always wear a heart rate monitor when writing.

thwart
07-10-2019, 03:04 PM
4 cups of coffee+3 beers = a fib. Something to remember.

Should be a sticky. :)

StephenCL
07-10-2019, 03:11 PM
I had one five years ago. My a fib and a flutter was too far gone to respond. It was not a big deal. Had to have ablation 30 days later. Now, all is good but I always wear a heart rate monitor when writing.

Yes, as we know the "PEN is mightier than the sword", so like you I always wear my heart rate monitor when WRITING!!!

Love it.....

parallelfish
07-10-2019, 03:17 PM
From an article on Belgian fries:

“Keep in mind that the older the potato, the better it is for making fries. Never make fries with young potatoes as they have not had time to develop sufficient starch.”

I would say you are sufficiently starchy - you should fry, er... fare well. Best wishes and a steady heart!

rnhood
07-10-2019, 03:40 PM

Same here, except I had afib for 9 years. Had to get an ablation. Simple and effective. Wish I had not waited so long.

bjf
07-10-2019, 03:52 PM
I have persistent (constant) afib. I've had 4 cardioversions; the longest I stayed in sinus rhythm was 52 hours. I'm now scheduled for an ablation.

But as to the procedure, I found it very easy. Propofol, no awareness of the shock, very clear head soon after. (But as others have said, they still won't let you leave on your own.)

Best wished to OP.

2LeftCleats
07-10-2019, 03:54 PM
Have had several multi-hour episodes, usually triggered by cold tap water, iced drinks, or ice cream. Occasionally by peak exertion. Medically cardioverted once in the ED, but I usually succeed at home by taking a beta blocker and flecainide. I’m considering ablation but if I’m careful with my triggers, I can go several weeks between.

I’m sure you will do fine with the procedure and then maybe on to ablation.

joosttx
07-10-2019, 04:12 PM
Thanks..I suspect this episode is a combo of 4 cups of coffee(TdF) followed by very light breakfast, and then at 3, 3 quick beers, no water..’Seems’ alcohol related. Got be smarter. They said something to put to sleep(not versad), for a short 5 minutes or so. Thanks.

I am no medical Doctor but I think you id'ed the issue.

Dino Suegiù
07-10-2019, 04:23 PM

Yes, as we know the "PEN is mightier than the sword", so like you I always wear my heart rate monitor when WRITING!!!

Love it.....

Hey, maybe Rpoole8537 is (or you are) really Shakespeare in love, all fiery and passionate. His true identity is still being debated by some so you never really know, right? :)

wildboar
07-10-2019, 04:41 PM
Probably propofol. Safe.
4 cups of coffee+3 beers=a fib. Something to remember.
FWIW several years ago I had some episodes of arrhythmia that would keep me awake at night if I drank more than two Redhook Longhammer IPAs. It was very specific to this beer. Even went and got a stress test and echo done, all good. Stopped drinking that and haven’t had a problem since. It may not just be the alcohol, but something else like hop profile.

Pabst does this too. Does not mix well with coffees and winter training rides.

oldpotatoe
07-10-2019, 05:19 PM
Done and walk in the park...thanks for all the kind words and yup, gotta get smarter..not getting any younger
-eat better
-eat less
-drink(alcohol) less
-ride lots
plus
Get plenty of sleep and ‘hydrate or die’...
AND ride Campagnolo and tubulars....:)thanks all again.

Peter

Dino Suegiù
07-10-2019, 05:24 PM
Done and walk in the park...thanks for all the kind words and yup, gotta get smarter..not getting any younger
-eat better
-eat less
-drink(alcohol) less
-ride lots
plus

Peter
Good.
https://forums.thepaceline.net/images/icons/icon14.gif

I drink no liquor of any kind now, and drink so much more water throughout the day, hot or cold, thirsty or not, than I used to; that change alone has helped enormously, just feeling and sleeping better 24/7.

bjf
07-10-2019, 06:06 PM
-eat better
-eat less
-drink(alcohol) less
-ride lots
plus

Peter

My doc hasn't mentioned the Campagnolo and tubulars approach to a fib. I'll have to try it. :)

joosttx
07-10-2019, 06:21 PM
-eat better
-eat less
-drink(alcohol) less
-ride lots
plus

Peter

Atta boy. Grinding is for the young.

charliedid
07-10-2019, 06:23 PM
-eat better
-eat less
-drink(alcohol) less
-ride lots
plus

Peter

Sounds like a plan.

Steve in SLO
07-10-2019, 07:22 PM
Glad it went well.

Powerful Pete
07-10-2019, 07:32 PM
Good to hear it all went well. Campagnolo is what makes the difference. Always!

Rpoole8537
07-10-2019, 10:57 PM
Hey, maybe Rpoole8537 is (or you are) really Shakespeare in love, all fiery and passionate. His true identity is still being debated by some so you never really know, right? :)

Laugh Out Loud. I was dictating into my phone without my glasses. Eyesight poor from reading Shakespeare by candlelight in a dark cabin. :banana:

Congrats to Old Potato who had a successful procedure. Afib and Aflutter suck, and so many of us have this diagnosis, have had this diagnosis, or will have this diagnosis. It's awesome that some have found the specific trigger. Old potato seems to have found his, and that is a gift!

Dino Suegiù
07-11-2019, 01:15 AM
Laugh Out Loud. I was dictating into my phone without my glasses. Eyesight poor from reading Shakespeare by candlelight in a dark cabin. :banana:
Just another one of those "Out, out, brief candle!" moments, eh, Bill? :)

Congrats to Old Potato who had a successful procedure. Afib and Aflutter suck, and so many of us have this diagnosis, have had this diagnosis, or will have this diagnosis. It's awesome that some have found the specific trigger. Old potato seems to have found his, and that is a gift! Indeed.

Louis
07-11-2019, 01:29 AM
Glad all is well Peter. Take care of yourself. :cool:

teleguy57
07-11-2019, 08:30 AM
Peter, appreciate your support and advice here, the wheels you've built for me, and the brief conversations in the shop when I would come to Colorado. Glad to hear it went well, and that you're figuring out some of the contributors to an episode so you can focus on enjoying the bike, your grandkids and all of life for a long time.

Steve in SLO
07-11-2019, 08:33 AM
It's awesome that some have found the specific trigger. Old potato seems to have found his, and that is a gift!

It is a gift, indeed, but too bad the triggers seem to be coffee and beer. I’m sure OP would have preferred kale.

fignon's barber
07-11-2019, 08:34 AM
OP, glad you're doing well. Is it true you had the cardiologist install 12 speed EPS while he was in there?

oldpotatoe
07-11-2019, 10:44 AM
OP, glad you're doing well. Is it true you had the cardiologist install 12 speed EPS while he was in there?

:)

SoCalSteve
07-12-2019, 02:12 AM

Doctor played a cruel joke on ol’ spud and installed SRAM ETap ...:)

soulspinner
07-12-2019, 05:55 AM
Doctor played a cruel joke on ol’ spud and installed SRAM ETap ...:)

:p Keep on rollin Pete.

Bentley
07-12-2019, 08:07 AM
-eat better
-eat less
-drink(alcohol) less
-ride lots
plus

Peter

Agree with all of this. About 5 yrs ago I hooked up with a "wellness" doctor, worked on diet, weight, hydration, excercise and SLEEP. Really, everything is a waste of time without proper and enough sleep.

Glad you are doing better, my guess, is once you get into a new routine an occasional beer, glass of wine or a whisky will be an ok treat.

Ray