PDA

View Full Version : Convert old race bike to 650b

Germany_chris
07-09-2019, 06:46 PM
So when I was hanging out at the LBS today after work and the owner came out and said he just got something in that I might like..I was an oldish re- powdered* Pinarello w/8 speed Chorus. Since I must own all old Italian steel and my wife is a thousands miles away I said let me give it some thought. I have precisely zero need for another bike that won't take fenders but old..Italian..steel..cheep which led me to 650b and some 38's with fenders.

Does anyone have old Italian steel converted to 650b and fenders?

*yes I know they were painted but this was powder coated and I might buy some decals and have it re-done

weisan
07-09-2019, 06:49 PM
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=1958643

Germany_chris
07-09-2019, 06:52 PM
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=1958643

Thanks!

dmurphey
07-09-2019, 07:04 PM
my wife has a new old bike, Trek lugged steel from late 70's, maybe '77, with new silver Pacenti 650b rims laced to old shimano hubs, Mafac center pull brakes, 7 speed and triple chainrings, mountain bars, trigger shifters, little front bag. It has panaracer gravel king 650 x 38 herringbone tread tires. It is easy and fun and budget friendly. I like the cushy ride and secure traction of fat 650b's. They may slow you down just a bit vs skinny tires, but when it is slippery, messy or gravelly they are the bomb!

Germany_chris
07-09-2019, 07:23 PM
my wife has a new old bike, Trek lugged steel from late 70's, maybe '77, with new silver Pacenti 650b rims laced to old shimano hubs, Mafac center pull brakes, 7 speed and triple chainrings, mountain bars, trigger shifters, little front bag. It has panaracer gravel king 650 x 38 herringbone tread tires. It is easy and fun and budget friendly. I like the cushy ride and secure traction of fat 650b's. They may slow you down just a bit vs skinny tires, but when it is slippery, messy or gravelly they are the bomb!

I've been in upstate NY for the last couple years and it's looking like I'll be heading to Frankfurt when I go back to Europe so I really want something that had big tires so I can make the Aldi run without the the worry over flattening the tires.

Ken Robb
07-09-2019, 07:32 PM
Rivendell Bicycles was a big early promoter of converting old 27" or 700mm bikes to 650B and they may still have a lot of information on how to do it. I think it's easy to do if the bike originally had short-reach brakes because mid-reach calipers will put the pads at the correct place for 650B rims.