PDA

View Full Version : Modolo Venus Handlebars?

thejen12
12-12-2006, 06:37 PM
I'm trying to find the reach and drop numbers of the Modolo Venus handlebars.

I am currently riding with a new handlebar from Nitto, the Neat 153 which comes in widths as low as 34 (which is what I'm riding). I love the narrow width, and they have a flat place on the hooks to mount the brifters which brings them very close in (I think the reach is specified as 81mm, but the brake hoods now seem closer to me than they did on the Salsa Poco bars). However, my hands are not small, and I find them a bit cramped in the hooks. I am wondering if the Modolo Venus bars have a bigger drop than these Nitto bars, in which case I would consider trying them. Otherwise, I'll buy another Nitto bar for my new bike, since the Nitto bar is only $50.

Even though my hands are not small, my shoulders are very narrow and the 34 width is a godsend!

Thanks, Jenn

mwos
12-12-2006, 07:05 PM
I'm trying to find the reach and drop numbers of the Modolo Venus handlebars.

I am currently riding with a new handlebar from Nitto, the Neat 153 which comes in widths as low as 34 (which is what I'm riding). I love the narrow width, and they have a flat place on the hooks to mount the brifters which brings them very close in (I think the reach is specified as 81mm, but the brake hoods now seem closer to me than they did on the Salsa Poco bars). However, my hands are not small, and I find them a bit cramped in the hooks. I am wondering if the Modolo Venus bars have a bigger drop than these Nitto bars, in which case I would consider trying them. Otherwise, I'll buy another Nitto bar for my new bike, since the Nitto bar is only $50.

Even though my hands are not small, my shoulders are very narrow and the 34 width is a godsend!

Thanks, Jenn

I have the Modolo Venus, also 34 cm, and I have very tiny hands and find the drops very comfortable, I can actually reach my brake levers from the drops and I couldn't do this with the Salsa bars, so I'm thinking that if you're cramped with the Nitto bars you would be more cramped with the Venus.

My understanding is that the Venus is designed to make the reach between the handlebar and the brake levers closer.

Kathi

thejen12
12-12-2006, 11:45 PM
That's what I'm trying to figure out. I need to compare the drop of the Venus bars to the drop of the Nitto bars to see which is bigger. It's not the reach to the brake levers that I mind, it's that my hands are a little big to fit in the curve of the hooks as well as I'd like. I found the specs for the Nitto bar, it has an 80mm reach and 131mm drop. Do you know the drop of the Venus bar, or could you measure it for me?

thanks, Jenn

Ginger
12-12-2006, 11:54 PM
The Modolo site has a decent sketch with dimensions.

thejen12
12-13-2006, 12:23 AM
The Modolo site has a decent sketch with dimensions.
Thanks, Ginger,

I have obviously been completely incapable of finding that site, could you post the URL for me? I found the ibex sports site, but the page for the Venus handlebars keeps saying it's down for construction. :crap:

Thanks! Jenn

Ginger
12-13-2006, 12:27 AM
www.modolo.it

I had their spec sheet somewhere on my computer, but it seems to be gone. Sorry I'm not more help.

As I said...their site seems to be having some database problems...

thejen12
12-13-2006, 11:53 AM
I finally got the bright idea to just email the nice folks at Ibex Sports and ask them for the specs, since their web page for the Venus handlebars is under construction. If anyone else is curious, they are exactly the same as the Nitto Neat 153 handlebar - 80mm reach 131mm drop.

Guess I'll stick with the Nitto, because it's cheaper.

Jenn

mwos
12-13-2006, 07:46 PM
Jenn,

Sorry I couldn't give you the measurements, I'm at my ski condo and not at home.

The Modolo website needed upgrading, my LBS couldn't figure out the measurements either!

Kathi

Rapid Tourist
12-13-2006, 09:29 PM
I have the modolo venus bars and I love them.

The reach is 78 mm to the hoods and the drop is 130 (from center to center). What's nice about the venus is the tips of the drops are about 4 cm closer to your body when you are riding than the center of the tops (if that makes sense). This makes the drops super comfy for me.

Enjoy.