PDA

View Full Version : Enjoy your ride with full safety

tylerbennett
07-09-2019, 01:14 AM
Hello everyone, I'm new here and going ask a question to the people who enjoy this forum so much, guys I'm new also in riding world, just bought a bike. So now I want to enjoy my ride with full safety so how can it possible. Any thoughts?

dgauthier
07-09-2019, 02:04 AM
Welcome! Here's the best advice I can think of:

1. Wear a helmet. If you don't wear a helmet, get one that fits you perfectly, so you always wear it. A good helmet should be so comfortable you could forget you have it on.

2. Read the book "The Art of Urban Cycling" by Robert Hurst. Here is a nice review from Huffington Post:
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/the-best-protection-when_b_803317

Here's an Amazon link. Apparently the title has changed a bit, but it's still the same book:
https://www.amazon.com/Art-Cycling-Staying-Urban-Streets/dp/0762790059/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=the+art+of+urban+cycling&qid=1562655134&s=gateway&sr=8-2

Good luck and stay safe!

Louis
07-09-2019, 03:13 AM
So now I want to enjoy my ride with full safety so how can it possible. Any thoughts?

No activity is 100% safe.

About all you can do is take reasonable precautions and balance the risks and rewards as you see fit. Each person's definition of "reasonable" will vary. For example, you may hear the term "descend like a married man." It won't take long for you to figure out what that means.

Peter P.
07-09-2019, 04:26 AM
Louis is right.

weisan
07-09-2019, 04:52 AM
First off: get rid of any presumptions that you can be "fully" safe. There's no such thing. You can only do your best and leave the rest to....whatever.

Second, understand that there's absolutely NO substitute or replacement for taking personal responsibility for your own safety. Don't blame your environment or your equipment or others looking down at their cellphone. Those are useless excuses when you are six feet under and dead.

Ok, now that we get the big ones out of the way, let's talk. But know this, none of the following is enough to protect you fully. The sum is greater than the parts.
Every bit helps.

1) Personal Awareness of your surroundings

You MUST develop an acute awareness of your surroundings. If you don't know what I am saying, go watch Bourne Ultimate or John Wick or Equalizer.

You need to see it before it happens.

You need to anticipate what others might do.

2) Visibility

Don't wear that $300 black tight fitting high zoot racing kit.
It's dumb. Got more money than sense. Nobody can see you.

Wear something bright and orange or yellow or whatever not dark or black.

You want to attract attention.

Lights are good but don't go lighting yourself up like a Christmas tree and then let off your guard, thinking you are safe. You are NOT! Go back and read bullet point #1.

No light, no matter how bright it is, will protect you if the idiot driver is burying his head down on his cellphone.

Moving lights are better than stationary lights. When they are moving, they get more attention. I don't need a $200 million research to tell me that.

Be seen.

3) Intentional and deliberate planning.

Know your local roads well. Choose the ones that are safer, less traffic.
It's dumb to compare or debate whether country roads are really safety than urban roads. Who the F cares!? Just ride the roads that you are most comfortable with. If you are feeling anxious, trust your instinct, you shouldn't be on that road.

4) Have a healthy dosage of reality
Let's face it.

The world is not going to change to accommodate your cycling.
They are not. Not tomorrow. Not next year.

Until then, you got to make good with what you have.

Do what you can to protect yourself.

And when I say that, I don't mean taking a wide berth on the road and forcing others to go around you. That's another dummie. What chance do you have against a 3000 kilo machine bearing down on you? You gonna stand your ground? Lord help us, please don't send this guy to the front line, he's gonna get us all killed.

Last but not least.
Don't go crazy on me.
Don't get paranoid.
Exercise reasonable care, do everything you can and after you have done that, let it go, relax and enjoy the ride.

Don't go cursing and swearing at everyone who crosses you on the road.
But more importantly, don't come here and start a dummie post complainin'....I am not interested in your whinnies...suck it up or go play golf!

biker72
07-09-2019, 06:27 AM
First get a good helmet that fits.
I ride assuming no one can see me. I use daytime lights and wear bright colored clothing to be as visible as possible....even when just running errands. Doesn't have to be bicycling specific clothing, just bright and visible.

There is no way to be 100% safe on a bike.

Elefantino
07-09-2019, 06:45 AM
First off: get rid of any presumptions that you can be "fully" safe. There's no such thing. You can only do your best and leave the rest to....whatever.

Second, understand that there's absolutely NO substitute or replacement for taking personal responsibility for your own safety. Don't blame your environment or your equipment or others looking down at their cellphone. Those are useless excuses when you are six feet under and dead.

Ok, now that we get the big ones out of the way, let's talk. But know this, none of the following is enough to protect you fully. The sum is greater than the parts.
Every bit helps.

You MUST develop an acute awareness of your surroundings. If you don't know what I am saying, go watch Bourne Ultimate or John Wick or Equalizer.

2) Visibility

Lights are good but don't go lighting yourself up like a Christmas tree and then let off your guard, thinking you are safe. You are NOT! Go back and read bullet point #1.

No light, no matter how bright it is, will protect you if the idiot driver is burying his head down on his cellphone.

Moving lights are better than stationary lights. When they are moving, they get more attention. I don't need a $200 million research to tell me that.

Be seen.

It's dumb to compare or debate whether country roads are really safety than urban roads. Who the F cares!? Just ride the roads that you are most comfortable with. If you are feeling anxious, trust your instinct, you shouldn't be on that road.

Let's face it.

And when I say that, I don't mean taking a wide berth on the road and forcing others to go around you. That's another dummie. What chance do you have against a 3000 kilo machine bearing down on you? You gonna stand your ground? Lord help us, please don't send this guy to the front line, he's gonna get us all killed.

Last but not least.
Don't go crazy on me.
Don't get paranoid.
Exercise reasonable care, do everything you can and after you have done that, let it go, relax and enjoy the ride.

But more importantly, don't come here and start a dummie post complainin'....I am not interested in your whinnies...suck it up or go play golf!
Great advice. Take it to heart and welcome to the forum ... and the road!

OtayBW
07-09-2019, 07:38 AM
- Ride with a group to improve your visibility and 'stature', and learn and obey the rules of the road as applies to what is expected of riders and motorists.
- Make eye contact with motorists when you have to interact in traffic, especially in intersections.

redir
07-09-2019, 07:42 AM
The most important thing when it comes to safety is what's in your head. And I don't mean protecting it with a helmet though that's a good idea. Parents for example might think that slapping a helmet on their child's head is all ya have to do to protect them, it's not. The golden rule- YOU ARE INVISIBLE.

There are a few schools of thought when it comes to riding safely in traffic. Foreser's vehicular cycling promotes the riding of bicycles like they are any other form of traffic on the road. So for example when you are riding 20MPH on a city street jsut right right in the middle of the road. The opposite of that would be the construction of separate bike lanes like you see in Holland and most of the EU.

Since we don't have that infrastructure here in the US I tend more to the vehicular cycling or a hybrid there of.

The important thing is to make your self noticed. IF you are cowering over on the edge giving you 3 inches of road to the right then a garuntee you as the age old adage says you give them an inch and they will take a yard. Traffic from behind will 'thread the needle' then a dump truck is coming the other way and you are on the edge of the road.

Another good rule of thumb is to ride where the front right tire of cars would be in the center of the lane. That way you are more present. I know it sounds crazy but it works.

You have a lot of reading to do because there is a LOT of differing opinions on how to ride safely. But if you read up on all of them and then go out in the field and practice them then you will find out what works for you.

Interestingly geographic location has a lot to do with it too. In LA for example they are used to seeing moto's running in between lanes, in Kansas perhaps not.

charliedid
07-09-2019, 07:43 AM
Hello everyone, I'm new here and going ask a question to the people who enjoy this forum so much, guys I'm new also in riding world, just bought a bike. So now I want to enjoy my ride with full safety so how can it possible. Any thoughts?

Ride fast, take chances.

Spinner
07-09-2019, 08:34 AM
... I won't leave home without my Dinotte lit; it really does make a difference.

Cheers.

berserk87
07-09-2019, 09:50 AM
I am confused by the term "full safety". Perhaps you mean "as safely as possible"? There is always a risk of injury when cycling. You can certainly do a lot to mitigate this, as folks have described.

Bradford
07-09-2019, 09:57 AM
Ride early. There are a lot fewer cars on the road at 5:30 or 6:00 AM and fewer cars means fewer opportunities to be hit. Its also much more pleasant to ride in silence than in traffic.

Cornfed
07-09-2019, 10:13 AM
First, welcome. Good people here. You'll learn a lot. I have.

I'm assuming you're a beginning rider. If so, besides the good advice above re helmets and lights and clothing, I would recommend sticking to local bike trails for a while. This will give you time to learn your bike, develop your skills and strength, and enjoy the sport without having to worry about cars and such.

Don't let anyone tell you that bike trails are for kids or non-serious riders. Any ride is a good ride. The main thing is just to be out there. Enjoy!

mj_michigan
07-09-2019, 08:28 PM
Ride early. There are a lot fewer cars on the road at 5:30 or 6:00 AM and fewer cars means fewer opportunities to be hit. Its also much more pleasant to ride in silence than in traffic.

This.
On Sundays, the quiet period last at least until 9am. When the days are long,
the daylight period after about 7 or 7:30pm is also fine.

I try to use a shoulder if it exists. Always leave a lot of room for cars to pass, except at intersections where I block the whole lane until I pass through. Right turns are easier to execute than left.

I find drivers in SE Michigan to be considerate.

Finally, keep in mind that for cycling, like driving, practice will make you better so be extra careful initially.

Tony
07-09-2019, 09:34 PM
Lots of good advice here.
After a couple of recent late night rides I'll add don't ride impaired, mtb or road.

tylerbennett
07-10-2019, 06:57 AM

Every bit helps.

2) Visibility

Be seen.

Let's face it.

Last but not least.
Don't go crazy on me.
Don't get paranoid.

Thank you very much for your great response and I must follow this.

tylerbennett
07-10-2019, 06:58 AM
Great advice. Take it to heart and welcome to the forum ... and the road!

Thanks a lot.

tylerbennett
07-10-2019, 07:07 AM
Thanks to all for their great and honorable response. Here I get some more information about safety and hope to help me a lot for further.

weisan
07-10-2019, 08:12 AM
You are welcome Tyler pal!

Wish you a long and prosperous cycling life.

smontanaro
07-10-2019, 08:35 AM
I don't blog much, but oddly enough I've written essays on this general topic a couple times, from a slightly different perspective than just "do this, don't do that":

Don't Expect Perfection (https://smontanaro.blogspot.com/2015/11/dont-expect-perfection.html)
Interactions & Negotiations (https://smontanaro.blogspot.com/2014/12/interactions-negotiations.html)

CSKeller
07-10-2019, 08:57 AM
Lots of great advice here. I would like to mention getting a rear view mirror such as this one https://bikepeddlerco.com/equipment/bike-peddler-take-a-look-cycling-eyeglass-mirror/

It certainly helps with situational awareness. My riding has changed for the better since getting one. You wouldn't think about driving a car without any rear view/sideview mirrors. The same thought should be applied to cycling. Sure you can turn your head but having a mirror has saved me numerous times!

Another thing to mention, keep your ears open...no ear buds/ipods. This helps with your situational awareness. You will be able to hear things around you and can more easily sense if that is danger approaching or someone is slowing to give you room as they pass.

I've heard many saw that ear buds do not detract from their ability to hear what is going on but my personal experience says that is not the case. On many organized rides, I have said (yelled) 'on your left' and 'Good Morning' to other cyclists only to see that they are deaf to the world around them because of earbuds stuck in their head.

smontanaro
07-10-2019, 09:01 AM
Lots of great advice here. I would like to mention getting a rear view mirror such as this one https://bikepeddlerco.com/equipment/bike-peddler-take-a-look-cycling-eyeglass-mirror/.

I was just thinking about this the other day. I have a mirror around somewhere which I've not mounted on my latest helmet. Sometimes knowing what's behind just scares the bejeebers out of me:

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ynqa78IeW6Y/UwEqjfSUTfI/AAAAAAAAfZM/iV22wyROWD0/s1600/JurassicPark_275Pyxurz.jpg

palincss
07-10-2019, 09:14 AM
So now I want to enjoy my ride with full safety so how can it possible. Any thoughts?

Even if you only rode that bike indoors in a climate-controlled environment mounted on an exercise stand (as many do in the winter months) you still run the risk of a sudden cardiac arrest and death. What does "full safety" mean to you?

roguedog
07-10-2019, 09:58 AM
+1 to Weisan's post

I'd also add that if you are starting out on road riding, join a few group rides in a local club that is more social than racey. Look for "no drop" and "social pace" in the route wording.

I've found club members to be totally helpful when I was first starting out. They can answer general questions about riding and if you're nervous, as someone posted, it's usually better to be in a group so you're more like part of a herd.

And don't let age of these riders bias you or the fact they have non modern looking race bikes. I've found that they have way more experience riding as a "civilian" and some have had racing experience as well.

Clean39T
07-10-2019, 10:21 AM
I don't blog much, but oddly enough I've written essays on this general topic a couple times, from a slightly different perspective than just "do this, don't do that":

Don't Expect Perfection (https://smontanaro.blogspot.com/2015/11/dont-expect-perfection.html)
Interactions & Negotiations (https://smontanaro.blogspot.com/2014/12/interactions-negotiations.html)

Enjoyed both of those.

I'm in the habit of going out of my way to show motorists that I respect and value their time, which I hope engenders a respect and valuing of my life...

When there isn't anywhere safe for them to pass me, instead of staying focused on maintaining my speed, I'll look for a place to pull off and let them go by. Or if someone is looking to turn right, I'll slow down and wave for them to go - give them a big thank-you wave and/or shout it - and off we go. Sometimes losing 10-15sec is worth it just to spread a little shared humanity. Above all else, that's what we need out there on the roads - we need them to see us as humans and treat us as such - not as annoyances, or self-absorbed traffic cones.

palincss
07-10-2019, 10:49 AM
Nobody's said much about it but the road surface itself can pose as much danger as car traffic and other cyclists.

Loose gravel in a turn can take you down.
If you're not careful, your front wheel can fall into the crack between to concrete lanes and you can loose steering control and crash.
It's easy to lose control if you ride into a pothole.
It's not uncommon to have a crack in the pavement between the traffic lane and the shoulder, and sometimes the shoulder can be significantly lower than the height of the traffic lane, forming a ledge or a cliff. If you're riding on the shoulder and then try to cross over to the traffic lane, unless you hit it at right angles that height difference will make your front wheel slip sideways and down you go.

Every one of these has made me crash, and every one has caused a crash on a club ride in my bike club.

commonguy001
07-10-2019, 11:00 AM
I've used a bar end mirror for years and will always continue to use one when on the road. This year I added a Garmin Varia tail light with radar and can't believe I didn't get one when they first came out. For me it's a game changer when combined with the bar end mirror as I can not only see what's coming behind me but I know how many and how fast they're approaching.

The last tech thing that I felt as strongly about was my first iPad, like the way I interacted with technology changed from that moment on. I feel the same way about my rear radar.

Mark McM
07-10-2019, 11:17 AM
Let's not forget one of the big ones: Don't drink and ride. About 1/4 of all cyclists killed have a blood alcohol content of 0.08% or more.

https://www.iihs.org/topics/fatality-statistics/detail/bicyclists

Mike Bryant
07-10-2019, 12:47 PM
A couple other cautions:
Wet metal (e.g. railroad tracks, manhole covers, etc.) are slickery! If unavoidable, don’t pedal, hold a straight line, don’t tense up. Just gently roll across. Sometimes wet painted lines can get slick too.
Cross railroad tracks as close to a right angle as you can to avoid the ruts along the track that can catch your wheel. If the tracks are angled, you’ll want to check back and front for traffic so you can approach them perpendicular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tylerbennett
07-11-2019, 09:25 AM
You are welcome Tyler pal!

Wish you a long and prosperous cycling life.

Thank you very much.

tylerbennett
07-11-2019, 09:44 AM
Even if you only rode that bike indoors in a climate-controlled environment mounted on an exercise stand (as many do in the winter months) you still run the risk of a sudden cardiac arrest and death. What does "full safety" mean to you?

Thanks for your quick response Palincss. Here I want to about the signals, sitting position, riding accessories etc.

More than 41,000 people lose their lives in motor vehicle crashes each year and over two million more suffer disabling injuries, according to the National Safety Council.

The triple threat of high speeds, impaired or careless driving and not using occupant restraints threatens every driver—regardless of how careful or how skilled.

tylerbennett
07-11-2019, 09:48 AM
Lots of great advice here. I would like to mention getting a rear view mirror such as this one https://bikepeddlerco.com/equipment/bike-peddler-take-a-look-cycling-eyeglass-mirror/

It certainly helps with situational awareness. My riding has changed for the better since getting one. You wouldn't think about driving a car without any rear view/sideview mirrors. The same thought should be applied to cycling. Sure you can turn your head but having a mirror has saved me numerous times!

Another thing to mention, keep your ears open...no ear buds/ipods. This helps with your situational awareness. You will be able to hear things around you and can more easily sense if that is danger approaching or someone is slowing to give you room as they pass.

I've heard many saw that ear buds do not detract from their ability to hear what is going on but my personal experience says that is not the case. On many organized rides, I have said (yelled) 'on your left' and 'Good Morning' to other cyclists only to see that they are deaf to the world around them because of earbuds stuck in their head.

Thanks a lot, Keller, nice input. Specially thanks for the link with some beautiful eyeglasses.