PDA

View Full Version : Lever throw on Campy 12 vs 11

ravdg316
07-08-2019, 10:41 PM
Can anyone vouch for improvement in the amount of lever throw there is when pushing into bigger gears on 12-speed Campy vs 11 speed?

mcteague
07-09-2019, 06:24 AM
I have 12 Record on my main bike, and moved the 11s Chorus to my backup ride, which had 10s Centaur. I must say I don't really notice the lever throw is any shorter or easier. Sure, it works great but so did 11s. At first, I did not notice the subtle changes in the levers themselves. But, over time I find I make firmer contact with them. With 11s there were times when I would hit the edges of the lever when shifting. It still worked but felt a bit less secure. Now, that does not seem to happen. Shifting to the big ring is a tiny bit easier but feels different. The first two clicks seem normal but the 3rd,when the chain seats on the big ring, has a softer feel.

Tim

woodworker
07-09-2019, 05:48 PM
I have had and used Record 10, Record 11, Chorus 11 EPS, and Chorus 12 mechanical. I notice a difference between the Record 10 (more effort than the other mechanicals). The other difference is between mechanical and EPS, with the latter being quite a bit easier (not surprising). I don't really notice a difference between the FD shifting on the mechanical 11 and 12, although I like the RD shifting better on the 12.

oldpotatoe
07-10-2019, 07:40 AM
Can anyone vouch for improvement in the amount of lever throw there is when pushing into bigger gears on 12-speed Campy vs 11 speed?

No real change...12s lever is essentially a 11s lever with an appropriate take up spool to move the new rear der 12s spacing rather than 11s spacing. 'Probably' a little less cuz the rear der is moving less distance per shift but it could be the design of the rear der makes for 12s spaced shifts with the same shifter lever travel..

EliteVelo
07-10-2019, 01:39 PM
No real change...12s lever is essentially a 11s lever with an appropriate take up spool to move the new rear der 12s spacing rather than 11s spacing. 'Probably' a little less cuz the rear der is moving less distance per shift but it could be the design of the rear der makes for 12s spaced shifts with the same shifter lever travel..

Agreed. I have both and can't tell a difference.