PDA

View Full Version : do inner tubes matter?

dash
12-12-2006, 05:33 PM
when you buy a tube do you specify what you want? if so, why and which?

J.Greene
12-12-2006, 05:42 PM
when you buy a tube do you specify what you want? if so, why and which?

I like tubes that have stems that are unthreaded. I don't like the way the threads eat up my pump head seals. I try to buy Michelin.

Fat Robert
12-12-2006, 05:46 PM
tubes are crucial

absolutely

i swear by 700 x 18-23c tubes. those are all that i use now.

i tried putting 26x1.9 tubes in a set of vittoria corsa extras a couple of times

that totally doesn't work

thejen12
12-12-2006, 05:57 PM
I like tubes that have stems that are unthreaded. I don't like the way the threads eat up my pump head seals. I try to buy Michelin.

+1!

Jenn

Grant McLean
12-12-2006, 06:02 PM
I feel that they do.

Michelin latex is the only way for me. Even if we're married.

g

Steve Hampsten
12-12-2006, 06:02 PM
Latex.

roman meal
12-12-2006, 06:10 PM
Latex, sans ribbed valves.

Michelin makes some nice french ticklers.

J.Greene
12-12-2006, 06:21 PM
Latex, sans ribbed valves.

Michelin makes some nice french ticklers.

for her pleasure?

JG

Tommasini53
12-12-2006, 06:41 PM
michilan latex tubes are a great improvement over butyl. coupled with a very good quality tire (like vittoria cx open) and its a great ride. not quite a tublar, but close.

roman meal
12-12-2006, 06:56 PM
for her pleasure?

JG

Keith A
12-13-2006, 07:40 AM
Michelin latex tubes are a great improvement over butyl.So what makes the latex so much better than butyl (as an inner tube)?

Dan Le foot
12-13-2006, 09:02 AM
So what makes the latex so much better than butyl (as an inner tube)?

Very good question, Keith.
Between my wife and I, we go through a couple dozen tubes a year. Gets expensive.
I just ordered 10 house brand butyl tubes from Performance for about 2 bucks each. I was wondering if I was penny wise and pound foolish after reading some of the post.
Here is an article I found on Latex v Butyl. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html
Dan

pdxmech13
12-13-2006, 09:06 AM
lighter and a nice layer of talc for easy installation and to keep the tube/tire form adhering and allowing more independant movement of one another

Keith A
12-13-2006, 09:10 AM
Dan -- Thanks for the link. Other than being slightly lighter and thus less rotational weight; and having to pump up the latex tubes more often, there doesn't seem to be much difference. Am I missing something here? This doesn't seem like a "great improvement" to me.

Len J
12-13-2006, 09:14 AM
Dan -- Thanks for the link. Other than being slightly lighter and thus less rotational weight; and having to pump up the latex tubes more often, there doesn't seem to be much difference. Am I missing something here? This doesn't seem like a "great improvement" to me.

while the latex do ride slightly better........I find that I get about 3 times as many flats with latex as with butyl......may be just happenstance, but there you go.

Len

Keith A
12-13-2006, 09:17 AM
Len -- When you say the latex ride better, is this because of the reduced weight or do they somehow feel different than the butyl tubes? How would you describe this better ride?

One other question...can latex be patched just like butyl tubes?

William
12-13-2006, 09:24 AM

Problem with patching latex is you'll have to wait a few weeks to find out whether it worked or not.

http://degiorgi.math.hr/forum/images/smiles/bananajoy.gif

William ;)

Keith A
12-13-2006, 09:26 AM
William -- Are we still talking about bicycle inner tubes? :rolleyes:

Len J
12-13-2006, 09:30 AM
Len -- When you say the latex ride better, is this because of the reduced weight or do they somehow feel different than the butyl tubes? How would you describe this better ride?

It's purely ancedotal......When I change tubes to Latex.....I notice at the beginning of the ride that the bike feels smoother......It may be pure psycology and it's very subtle. Once I've been on the bike for a while, I don't think about it.

I'm not sure that it's not smoother because I expect it to be smoother, or really smoother......to be honest.

Len

William
12-13-2006, 09:31 AM
William -- Are we still talking about bicycle inner tubes? :rolleyes:

You know, I'm not sure any more. I started getting confused back around post #7. Which forum is this again??? :confused:

William ;)

Keith A
12-13-2006, 09:38 AM
William -- Actually I think it started two posts earlier than that.
Len -- Thanks for your input.

davids
12-13-2006, 10:13 AM
Here is an article I found on Latex v Butyl. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html
Dan
:confused: I don't understand how the reduced "rolling resistance" of latex could have any impact on ride, unless the tires are slipping... I'm gonna need better evidence than this before putting up with 3x the flats!

And I've been buying Michelin Aircomp Ultra Light butyl tubes...

theprep
12-13-2006, 10:18 AM

I have had success with the Park Glueless Patches. The regular "vulcanization" patch kits will not work.

IMHO latex tubes ride a little smoother and roll a little faster. All the best tubulars have latex tubes. Veloflex Carbon Tubulars that have been repaired by Tire Alert with a butyl tube are just not the same as pre-puncture.

I have switched to latex on several occasions, including MTB and then I slowly convert back to butyl when I get sick of the extra airing up and what I perceive to be extra flats.

cheers,
Joe

bironi
12-13-2006, 10:54 AM
Why not try a couple latex tubes, and feel the difference yourself? They are a slightly cushier ride. The tube inflates evenly vs the bulging that sometimes occurs with butyl tubes. Be prepared to top off your tires more frequently. :beer:

Keith A
12-13-2006, 11:06 AM
Why not try a couple latex tubes, and feel the difference yourself?That is what I think I will do -- just wanted to get some info before doing so.

gasman
12-13-2006, 01:07 PM
I tried latex tubes-they did seem to be slightly smoother but the increased punctures eventually made me return to butyl.
They make you feel like you're lighter and maybe faster but it was all in my head....

along with the voices. :p

Keith A
12-13-2006, 01:50 PM
I tried latex tubes-they did seem to be slightly smoother but the increased punctures eventually made me return to butyl.Which is exactly what has kept me from trying them already....

superunleaded
12-13-2006, 01:54 PM
repaired by Tire Alert with a butyl tube are just not the

Joe,
Thanks for that post. I just googled Tire Alert and found the site http://www.tirealert.com/
I have been looking for a place to have my new and unused Vittoria's tubs repaired and looks like Tire Alert is a good place to have it done.

-gas

mcteague
12-13-2006, 01:57 PM
lighter and a nice layer of talc for easy installation and to keep the tube/tire form adhering and allowing more independant movement of one another

Read Jobst Brandt's take on talc.

http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8b.11.html

I tried latex tubes years ago and had more flats than I have ever had. Went back to Michelin Aircomp Ultralights and rarely get flats anymore.

Tim McTeague

pdxbikeboy
12-13-2006, 02:26 PM
there is conclusive evidence against this. i love jobst as much as the next guy thats for sure, but the main reason i do it is because it allows sloppier and faster installation period.

Sandy
12-13-2006, 04:41 PM
I tried latex tubes-they did seem to be slightly smoother but the increased punctures eventually made me return to butyl.
They make you feel like you're lighter and maybe faster but it was all in my head....

along with the voices. :p

If they can make me feel lighter and faster, then I am more than willing to have a few more voices in my head. :) :)

Sandy

victoryfactory
12-14-2006, 07:32 AM
I've found that light weight tubes mean more flats.
Since I'm not a racer, and I hate flats, I've studied this over the years
and have come to the following conclusions:

1.Go with a tube that weighs more than 90g for durability
2. As mentioned above go with smooth valves if possible to save your pump.

In the past I used to use light tubes, (65-85g) but they don't hold up (rather,
they get holed-up)
Now with 100g tubes (any brand) I get, like, maybe 2 flats a year

VF, tube expert

pdxmech13
12-14-2006, 09:23 AM
I like to use lighter tubes in my flat pack for the reason being they don't take up as much room and I can fit two instead of one. Helps your riding partners that ride in the gutter. :D

chrisroph
12-14-2006, 10:55 AM
Read Jobst Brandt's take on talc.

http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8b.11.html

I tried latex tubes years ago and had more flats than I have ever had. Went back to Michelin Aircomp Ultralights and rarely get flats anymore.

Tim McTeague

That does it, if jobst is against it I'm going to start powdering tubes again. ;)