PDA

View Full Version : Studio City

jm714
07-08-2019, 10:33 AM
I will be out in Studio City this week and and I need 30 mile loop (road bike only) or so to take in the local riding. I’m in the vicinity of Ventura Blvd and Coldwater Canyon. Thx.

cgolvin
07-08-2019, 11:09 AM
Does it have to start from where you are or can you drive to start your ride?
Are you looking for climbing, and if so how much?

Assuming you're starting from Studio City, most likely routes would be a jaunt through Griffith Park, up to the Hollywood sign, or traversing Mulholland. Unfortunately, riding up Coldwater to Mulholland is not recommended.

Provide a bit more detail and I can try to whip up a route, though others might have favorites.

charliedid
07-08-2019, 11:30 AM
Does it have to start from where you are or can you drive to start your ride?
Are you looking for climbing, and if so how much?

Assuming you're starting from Studio City, most likely routes would be a jaunt through Griffith Park, up to the Hollywood sign, or traversing Mulholland. Unfortunately, riding up Coldwater to Mulholland is not recommended.

Provide a bit more detail and I can try to whip up a route, though others might have favorites.

I did that once about 6 years ago. Ended up riding around in circles lost in Encino for about a week that afternoon.

jtbadge
07-08-2019, 11:38 AM
Use google maps with the cycling overlay to find a route into Griffith Park where Riverside meets Zoo Dr. Maybe stop at Basecamp for a coffee?

Then you have a bunch of options, like going up Mt. Hollywood Drive, then coming down to the Helipad or Observatory depending on which way you turn at the top.

When you get done at the park, take Franklin west through Hollywood and head up Nichols Canyon to Mulholland. Maybe Sepulveda is the best way back down to the valley?

cgolvin
07-08-2019, 12:46 PM
When you get done at the park, take Franklin west through Hollywood and head up Nichols Canyon to Mulholland. Maybe Sepulveda is the best way back down to the valley?

Certainly lots of options. IMO the nicest way to get from the west side to Mulholland is Franklin Canyon, but there's no good way to get there from Mt. Hollywood or Griffith.

Another option if he's looking for a bit of climbing and some scenic vistas: climb Laurel Canyon (yes, traffic, but better shoulder and wider road than Coldwater), roll on Mulholland west, descend Benedict Canyon (that's fun), climb Franklin, descend Coldwater (not a safety issue since you can keep pace with the traffic). Or, instead of climbing Laurel, climb Sepulveda then roll east on Mulholland.

OP, give us a better idea of what you want and we can be more helpful.

P.S. I think there should be a movie titled "Lost in Encino".

tctyres
07-08-2019, 01:31 PM
Certainly lots of options. ... Or, instead of climbing Laurel, climb Sepulveda then roll east on Mulholland.

OP, give us a better idea of what you want and we can be more helpful.

P.S. I think there should be a movie titled "Lost in Encino".

Naah.. Climb Stradella back up. Even though Sepulveda has a bike lane, that's a lot of traffic.

Encino is pretty easy to navigate: Drop down the Escalon Wall and get on the bike path in the park to scoot east back to Studio City. You can overthink that one. There just aren't great options to head east -- use a bike lane.

cgolvin
07-08-2019, 02:25 PM
Naah.. Climb Stradella back up. Even though Sepulveda has a bike lane, that's a lot of traffic.

Encino is pretty easy to navigate: Drop down the Escalon Wall and get on the bike path in the park to scoot east back to Studio City. You can overthink that one. There just aren't great options to head east -- use a bike lane.

I meant climb Sepulveda south to start the ride then roll east on Mulholland. I just don't think there are any good options climbing up from the valley (but then again I live on the west side so about the only time I do it is to punish myself on Hayvenhurst).

As much as I enjoy Stradella, I would not recommend it to an out of towner because navigating to its start is risky even with navigation and the signage.

beeatnik
07-08-2019, 02:49 PM
Agree with Cgolvin that climbing Sepulveda to Getty Ctr and back east on Mulholland is a good option, especially at midday when traffic is relatively light.

As for Ventura Blvd, it's one of the more manageable major streets in LA. Super wide 3 lanes, fast and flat. If you have more time use it to get to Topanga Canyon and ride to the Coast or Pedalers Fork.

tctyres
07-08-2019, 03:11 PM
I meant climb Sepulveda south to start the ride then roll east on Mulholland. I just don't think there are any good options climbing up from the valley (but then again I live on the west side so about the only time I do it is to punish myself on Hayvenhurst).

As much as I enjoy Stradella, I would not recommend it to an out of towner because navigating to its start is risky even with navigation and the signage.

This is the Escalon segment to Mulholland: https://www.strava.com/segments/7887801
I actually like the climbing punishment. It's the quick downhills that are freaky.

Re Sepulveda: I see. I still don't like it, either way. Stradella is easy to get to with a GPS, particularly crossing out of the UCLA campus. That's the only way I do it. I wouldn't go down it -- too residential. Beverly Glen or Benedict Canyon is better for that. I have never gone east of Benedict Canyon.

jm714
07-08-2019, 09:26 PM
I’m probably not going to have a vehicle and was thinking (based on strava) of riding up coldwater to mulholland and riding west towards the and then dropping down to the LA River. Is there a bike path on the river? I figured that might be safer than riding back across Ventura Blvd.

jtbadge
07-08-2019, 09:31 PM
I’m probably not going to have a vehicle and was thinking (based on strava) of riding up coldwater to mulholland and riding west towards the and then dropping down to the LA River. Is there a bike path on the river? I figured that might be safer than riding back across Ventura Blvd.

There are a bunch of closings along the river bike path right now. You won’t get too far.

cgolvin
07-08-2019, 09:40 PM

I'll try to work up a route tomorrow. As I said, climbing Coldwater is not very safe, lots of traffic and blind bends. Beeatnik's right that Ventura Blvd, while far from scenic, is a fairly safe choice.

I think you must have meant east, not west, on Mulholland

vqdriver
07-09-2019, 01:30 PM
it's important to have realistic expectations. each time i see these 'coming to LA' threads, i fear disappointment for the op because there's no getting around the fact that you're in a sprawling city that goes farther than most people are willing to ride (or drive). certainly there's going to be photo ops and cool vistas, but you will never (ever) be alone and will most likely be feet away from cars the whole time. whenever you see people post scenic shots from mulholland or pch, you can't forget that if the camera were turned around, you'd see them sandwiched between cars and a road barrier or off on a dirt turnout.

i do envy the cyclists i see out there, but i think you've got to really love riding cuz it's not exactly relaxing. that's just not me anymore.

do it if you're into, but i can't emphasize enough how important it is for out of towners to manage expectations when riding here. at the very least, pick your time of day wisely. early sunday mornings are your best bet, traffic and weather wise.

Dave Ferris
07-09-2019, 02:34 PM
^ That. After living here for 40.5 years, you couldn't pay me to ride a skinny tire road bike around Studio City or most anywhere in the Valley.

Much less up Coldwater, Laurel Canyon or Beverly Glen, and then ride on Mulholland. It was bad enough 25 years ago before texting. Now ?!! Death wish imo.

When you're younger - 20s, 30s, 40s- you have that "no fear" thing going on. When you've seen the carnage and had too many friends killed and paralyzed for life by cycling on LA streets...well my advice is, rent an SUV and a mountain bike and go check out our beautiful and challenging trails in the Santa Monicas, Verdugos, San Gabriels, Malibu Creek, Ahmanson Ranch, Cheeseboro, etc.

Do the sight seeing from the vehicle and live to tell about it.

tctyres
07-09-2019, 02:41 PM
^ Honestly, a fatter tired gravel bike for the fire roads is really all that's necessary. The fire roads are in great condition with great visibility.

beeatnik
07-09-2019, 02:42 PM
^ That. After living here for 40.5 years, you couldn't pay me to ride a skinny tire road bike around Studio City or most anywhere in the Valley.

Much less up Coldwater, Laurel Canyon or Beverly Glen, and then ride on Mulholland. It was bad enough 25 years ago before texting. Now ?!! Death wish imo.

When you're younger - 20s, 30s, 40s- you have that "no fear" thing going on. When you've seen the carnage and had too many friends killed and paralyzed for life by cycling on LA streets...well my advice is, rent an SUV and a mountain bike and go check out our beautiful and challenging trails in the Santa Monicas, Verdugos, San Gabriels, Malibu Creek, Ahmanson Ranch, Cheeseboro, etc.

Do the sight seeing from the vehicle and live to tell about it.

Dave, it's not that bad.

And condolences. I count myself fortunate as I haven't lost any friends on Southern California roads (many who ride 15000 plus miles yearly). Unfortunately, every few years an acquaintance is killed in a crit or road race. It's a weird numbers game....

dancinkozmo
07-09-2019, 02:58 PM
this thread reads like a script from 'the californians ' LOL

https://vimeo.com/41072068

https://imgix.bustle.com/rehost/2016/9/29/81fe15f1-eacc-45f5-a63c-5e5c9e51441d.png?w=970&h=546&fit=crop&crop=faces&auto=format&q=70

tctyres
07-09-2019, 03:11 PM
this thread reads like a script from 'the californians ' LOL

https://vimeo.com/41072068

https://imgix.bustle.com/rehost/2016/9/29/81fe15f1-eacc-45f5-a63c-5e5c9e51441d.png?w=970&h=546&fit=crop&crop=faces&auto=format&q=70

Ha! You know with google maps + others now, it basically gives you all the shortcuts. On a 45 minute drive, you've got to guess whether the 10 is going to clear up or get worse by the time you get there, though!!

onsight512
07-09-2019, 03:15 PM
Lots of good ideas in this thread. I'll add that Multiview and Wrightwood are both nice climbs from the East end of Cahuenga/Ventura Blvd and Camino de la Cumbre is a nice alternative to Beverly Glen. Those three don't see much traffic.

I'll also heartily recommend Mt. Hollywood. If you can get yourself into Griffith Park, it's a really nice ride and is closed to cars.

cgolvin
07-09-2019, 04:01 PM
Disclaimers:
1. I'm more aligned with beeatnik's view on the risk of riding our roads, but fully sympathize with others who have expressed greater concern about that risk.
2. The route below is not the best route, but since I promised to provide one I tried to create something that mitigates traffic risk somewhat while providing some scenic and riding experience value within the constraints of your location and distance.
3. Local friends, feel free to criticize and suggest alterations; Griffith Park is likely a better option but I always ride through there on feel so wasn't comfortable describing a route.

Here 'tis: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30509592

Comments, FWIW:

- I kept you off Ventura Blvd. but I know that there is traffic on Valley Vista, and may in fact be worse because it's windy (also rolling, not flat).
- The first climb up to Mulholland (mile 4 to 5.5) has some short pitchy sections to it; I don't remember whether I have actually climbed it or not, it's just a less trafficked way than Sepulveda to get there.
- You get almost the entirety of Mulholland (mile 5.5 to 16), some scenic views of the valley and the basin, also you can stop for the overlook to the Hollywood Bowl (just past mile 15, I believe, you'll see a sign).
- Mile 16 to 18.7 is, unfortunately, busy (especially the first part). Sorry.
- Mile 18.7 to 21.5 is part of the route of the world famous La Grange Nichols Canyon ride, then you get a mile of Woodrow Wilson, a pleasant little diversion instead of retracing Mulholland.
- The remainder is a backtrack on Mulholland, then down Coldwater Canyon for expediency. Sorry again, but IMO descending it is not so bad since you can pretty much keep pace with the cars.

*edit*: I didn't see onsight512's response and don't know Camino de la Cumbre, but you could easily substitute that climb to get to Mulholland since you'll pass by its start, would just shorten the route by a few miles.

tctyres
07-09-2019, 04:49 PM
Yeah, there's just no way to get up to Mulholland that isn't pretty pitchy. Embrace and enjoy it.

Nice route otherwise. I will do that the next time I'm out there, which should be next month. I normally start near the 405 & Sunset.

cgolvin
07-09-2019, 05:26 PM
Yeah, there's just no way to get up to Mulholland that isn't pretty pitchy. Embrace and enjoy it.

Nice route otherwise. I will do that the next time I'm out there, which should be next month. I normally start near the 405 & Sunset.

Thanks. Hit me up if you're interested in embracing and enjoying some less well known pitchy climbs on the west side. There are a number of canyon roads between Sepulveda and Coldwater that are deadends, and when I want a shorter ride with a high elevation per mile rate I string them together. No traffic either.

tctyres
07-09-2019, 05:33 PM
Thanks. Hit me up if you're interested in embracing and enjoying some less well known pitchy climbs on the west side. There are a number of canyon roads between Sepulveda and Coldwater that are deadends, and when I want a shorter ride with a high elevation per mile rate I string them together. No traffic either.

Thanks for the offer. Will do!
I basically ride everything from Mandeville to Benedict Canyon when I'm out there as workouts and sometimes try to exceed the 1000'/mi threshold because I actually can. I'm no Phil Gaimon, but I get by.

cgolvin
07-09-2019, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the offer. Will do!
I basically ride everything from Mandeville to Benedict Canyon when I'm out there as workouts and sometimes try to exceed the 1000'/mi threshold because I actually can. I'm no Phil Gaimon, but I get by.

Good for you (though I think you slipped an extra 0 in there) -- let me know when you're out, maybe I can slip out and join you.

In any case, east of Benedict add these names to your list (the first and last go through to Mulholland):
- Deep Canyon
- Tower Ridge
- San Ysidro
- Summit Ridge
- Franklin Canyon (not steep but pretty and secluded)

tctyres
07-10-2019, 03:19 PM
Good for you (though I think you slipped an extra 0 in there) -- let me know when you're out, maybe I can slip out and join you.

In any case, east of Benedict add these names to your list (the first and last go through to Mulholland):
- Deep Canyon
- Tower Ridge
- San Ysidro
- Summit Ridge
- Franklin Canyon (not steep but pretty and secluded)

Thanks!
Yep. Nice catch: 1000'/10mi, so 100'/mi.