PDA

View Full Version : OT sorta: Mistaken for...

charliedid
07-07-2019, 08:37 PM
By any measure I am a skinny guy. I'm 55 and to my standard a touch out of shape but people always ask what my secret is. No secret, I'm just 5' 11" with a slim build. For years female friends have often asked if they could have my legs. I've never been clear on how that would work so I still have them. I guess I have girly legs.

Anyway, I took a spin this afternoon and a couple miles in I could hear two motos behind me. I could tell they were going slowish and were Harleys. I was wearing red shoes with colored polkadot socks (game on) and teal colored Rapha Classic jersey and navy bibs. I'm fair skinned and a bit tan and while I don't shave my legs any longer it might at first glance appear that I did. And yes I ride a sparkly purple bike currently. Basically I'm killing it...

Anyway as the two motos approach, I glanced to my left with a casual/friendly smile to say hello, as you might do. Both dudes (CLASSIC biker dudes) are at first smiling and glancing over until they realize that yes, they have indeed mistaken my fine ass for a woman's. Both straighten up, look away and hit the throttle a bit. We meet at the next light..... and nothing. They can't even look over and have a laugh with me, while I'm dying over here.

Back in the 80's through the 90's I wore my blonde hair rather long and usually in a pony tail but not always. I also during that period shaved my legs. I can't count the times I've been cat called on the bike and had cars pull up to notice I was in fact NOT a woman. Most of the time it was rather funny and often involved a group of young men. Once noticing their mistake, it was often "keep going it's a dude" or "Oh sh&t you're not a chick" or something to that effect. One guy even flipping me off after he noticed LOL.

It happened off the bike as well. I eventually decided that since I was losing my hair I wouldn't keep it long and be "that guy" but I really kind of miss those days. The casual "excuse me ma'am" in line at the coffee shop followed by "oh I'm sorry" Best when it was an older woman for some reason. Probably because we had the biggest laughs about it. Men, not so much.

Ah, the good old days. Anybody else?

Tonight's ride was a good ride.

Dead Man
07-07-2019, 09:08 PM
if there's ever a best-of post on pl, i nominate this'n.

weisan
07-07-2019, 09:14 PM
charlie pal, I am dying for some pictures....please! Yes, front and back, thank you.

54ny77
07-07-2019, 09:37 PM
That's some seriously funny stuff right there. :p

charliedid
07-07-2019, 09:46 PM
charlie pal, I am dying for some pictures....please! Yes, front and back, thank you.

Dream on, pal ;)

LJohnny
07-07-2019, 09:57 PM
Dream on, pal ;)

Dream on... ? For some reason I was thinking of a different Aerosmith song, you know... Dude looks like a lady : - )
You set that up perfectly, I had to take this shot!

weisan
07-07-2019, 10:03 PM
Dream on, pal ;)

I guess I would just have to make do...

https://images.hellogiggles.com/uploads/2016/03/20041122/picture-of-mrs-doubtfire-vacuuming-photo.jpg

charliedid
07-07-2019, 10:05 PM
Dream on... ? For some reason I was thinking of a different Aerosmith song, you know... Dude looks like a lady : - )

Hahahahah! Perfecto!

charliedid
07-07-2019, 10:05 PM
I guess I would just have to make do...

https://images.hellogiggles.com/uploads/2016/03/20041122/picture-of-mrs-doubtfire-vacuuming-photo.jpg

Spitting image, though I have much cooler eyewear.

Louis
07-07-2019, 10:13 PM
Back in my glory days I was mistaken for some guy called "Lance" at least once or twice a year. ("Go Lance !!!" was what I typically heard.) Not sure who he was / is, but I guess he must have looked like me.

mtechnica
07-07-2019, 10:28 PM
( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)

jtakeda
07-07-2019, 10:35 PM
I have long hair and this happens all the time. I usually end up getting free stuff because of it

charliedid
07-07-2019, 10:41 PM
I have long hair and this happens all the time. I usually end up getting free stuff because of it

1/2 price oil change for Ladies Day at the Jiffy Lube?

jtakeda
07-07-2019, 10:48 PM
1/2 price oil change for Ladies Day at the Jiffy Lube?

I usually just don’t correct them and when they realize we get 10-15% off the bill at a restaurant or a free drink or something.

charliedid
07-07-2019, 10:50 PM
I usually just don’t correct them and when they realize we get 10-15% off the bill at a restaurant or a free drink or something.

Discounts solve everything.

oliver1850
07-08-2019, 03:04 AM
Thanks Wei pal and Charlie for good laugh.

beeatnik
07-08-2019, 03:18 AM
Starting in the 2010/11 season, there was a long haired cyclist who rode The World Famous Montrose and for about a year and a half I couldn't figure out if he was a boy or a girl (curvy hips!). In those days the ride would attract 150 plus riders, so if you were mid pack it was tough to move up to get a look from the front. Short story long, I finally confirmed the gender of the rider when I had a sort of epiphany, check the dude's leg hair. He was hairy.

Peter P.
07-08-2019, 04:38 AM
if there's ever a best-of post on pl, i nominate this'n.

I second that vote!

What a well-told story.

BlueFly
07-08-2019, 07:35 PM
I glanced to my left with a casual/friendly smile to say hello, as you might do. Both dudes (CLASSIC biker dudes) are at first smiling and glancing over until they realize that yes, they have indeed mistaken my fine ass for a woman's. Both straighten up, look away and hit the throttle a bit. We meet at the next light..... and nothing. They can't even look over and have a laugh with me, while I'm dying over here.

You KNOW what they are thinkin as R1 nods to R2....I ain't gonna talk to that dude. I am so f'n embarrassed......my manhood may be in question?! Can we just pretend that we were out ridin and got caught at this light?

Charlie - That there is a heck of laugh. Ride on Brother!

Burnette
07-08-2019, 08:29 PM
By any measure I am a skinny guy. I'm 55 and to my standard a touch out of shape but people always ask what my secret is. No secret, I'm just 5' 11" with a slim build. For years female friends have often asked if they could have my legs. I've never been clear on how that would work so I still have them. I guess I have girly legs.

Anyway, I took a spin this afternoon and a couple miles in I could hear two motos behind me. I could tell they were going slowish and were Harleys. I was wearing red shoes with colored polkadot socks (game on) and teal colored Rapha Classic jersey and navy bibs. I'm fair skinned and a bit tan and while I don't shave my legs any longer it might at first glance appear that I did. And yes I ride a sparkly purple bike currently. Basically I'm killing it...

Anyway as the two motos approach, I glanced to my left with a casual/friendly smile to say hello, as you might do. Both dudes (CLASSIC biker dudes) are at first smiling and glancing over until they realize that yes, they have indeed mistaken my fine ass for a woman's. Both straighten up, look away and hit the throttle a bit. We meet at the next light..... and nothing. They can't even look over and have a laugh with me, while I'm dying over here.

Back in the 80's through the 90's I wore my blonde hair rather long and usually in a pony tail but not always. I also during that period shaved my legs. I can't count the times I've been cat called on the bike and had cars pull up to notice I was in fact NOT a woman. Most of the time it was rather funny and often involved a group of young men. Once noticing their mistake, it was often "keep going it's a dude" or "Oh sh&t you're not a chick" or something to that effect. One guy even flipping me off after he noticed LOL.

It happened off the bike as well. I eventually decided that since I was losing my hair I wouldn't keep it long and be "that guy" but I really kind of miss those days. The casual "excuse me ma'am" in line at the coffee shop followed by "oh I'm sorry" Best when it was an older woman for some reason. Probably because we had the biggest laughs about it. Men, not so much.

Ah, the good old days. Anybody else?

Tonight's ride was a good ride.

Charlie, I wasn't sure where you were going here and I'm not sure where you ended. Not entirely sure.

If I got this right the bike is incidental and the hair, legs and butt are key here. To what end I don't know.

It may be because all I have in common with any of this is the bike and none of the other stuff :D

eippo1
07-09-2019, 11:41 AM
Now that I'm fat and bald, I don't think anyone could mistake my being of the opposite sex in spite of my still excellent legs.

My most favorite incident however, was when I was in excellent shape and stood up to clear a small hill. The female occupants of the convertible behind me let out a raucous cheer at the exact moment I stood to pound the pedals. It was the unexpectedness of it that made it way better than my top five finish in the cat4ever crit that same weekend.

wc1934
07-09-2019, 02:38 PM

Or Kinks - Lola.

jtakeda
07-09-2019, 02:43 PM
Discounts solve everything.

Saving money on the haircuts too

azrider
07-09-2019, 03:12 PM
Basically I'm killing it....

this made me giggle :p:p

ColonelJLloyd
07-09-2019, 03:17 PM
Or Kinks - Lola.

Honestly, I think the Barbarians (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDpGsFI3WNg) got straight to the point.

charliedid
07-09-2019, 06:40 PM
All in good fun

I guess I posted because I don't recall this ever happening since I cut my hair years ago. Maybe I should be flattered and just flaunt it since I still got it! :p

Cheers

Louis
07-09-2019, 07:20 PM
In a related matter, once or twice years ago I had a gay guy try to pick me up while out on a ride. (not same guy multiple times) I politely declined, but as I thought about it later, was somewhat flattered. It might have been because on some of my rides I went through a park where perhaps they used to meet up. (don't really know for sure)

jtbadge
07-09-2019, 07:28 PM
Starting in the 2010/11 season, there was a long haired cyclist who rode The World Famous Montrose and for about a year and a half I couldn't figure out if he was a boy or a girl (curvy hips!). In those days the ride would attract 150 plus riders, so if you were mid pack it was tough to move up to get a look from the front. Short story long, I finally confirmed the gender of the rider when I had a sort of epiphany, check the dude's leg hair. He was hairy.

That approach might not work in modern SoCal.

soulspinner
07-10-2019, 05:53 AM

well done lad