PDA

View Full Version : Lume Lighting

ClutchCargo
12-12-2006, 02:40 PM
Anybody here have experience with Lume lights?

They have an HID light that seems to be reasonably priced (it's all relative, though, isn't it?) and has gotten decent reviews on mtbr.com. sleek design as well. Thanks in advance.

www.lumelighting.com

Ride on!

fmbp
12-12-2006, 04:28 PM
I have a Lume Strada HID that I've been using for the past (almost) 2 years now. Overall, I've been quite pleased with it, and in fact, I don't think I have any complaints with it at all. I used the light 1-2 times per week the first winter I had it for training at night, and now I use it for the times I need a light on my commute home. In other words, I haven't used it a ton to know how it stands up to long term abuse.

I would guess that I get about 3 hours of life out of a fully charged battery. I also like the fact that it comes with a smart-charger so that the battery doesn't get fried if sitting on the charger for long periods of time.

The light is plenty bright, and I've had cars flash their lights at me to turn my "brights" off. If you want something that has multiple settings for light output, the Lume isn't going to be the right choice (unless they've changed their setup). It was always sort of funny to ride with team-mates training at night if they had regular old halogen lights because even if I was sitting on their wheel, they would still be using my light to see the road in front of them. Oh, and I think I have the wider illumination light.

This review may need to be taken with a grain of salt as I have no experience with any other light setups aside from little red blinky lights for my back and one small LED white blinky light.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if there's anything I can clarify.

justinf
12-12-2006, 06:26 PM
I also have the Strada wide beam HID and it's really cool. Very comparable to the L&M HID lights. My only quibble is that the mount could be a little more refined, and adaptable to OS bars--they are due for an updated mount release in the next few months according to the company, but this seems to be taking a while.

ClutchCargo
12-13-2006, 08:21 AM
these are helpful. I place more stock in reviews posted on this board than those on mtbr.com or similar sites. that these lights compare favorably with the L&M HID is praise indeed. cheers and happy holidays!

Ride on!

djg
12-13-2006, 12:23 PM
These look good, it seems that folks like them, and the prices do look pretty reasonable for this type of thing.

I thought I'd mention that Performance has been running sales off and on for the L&M HID, and that they seem to be on a sort of on-again-off-again 20% coupon run--I just bought the ARC HID from them for 280. I know that folks have different opinions of dealing with this chain, but I like them especially for things like lights because of the satisfaction guarantee--I've brought back two fussy niterider lights, one after just a couple of weeks, one after nearly two years, and have been given full refunds, with no questions asked. I really wouldn't expect a small LBS to be able to offer that sort of support, but Performance offers and, when needed, I'll take them up on it.