PDA

View Full Version : Heat really wacked me this weekend...

AngryScientist
07-06-2019, 05:36 PM
I’m usually not particularly bothered by high temps on the bike; but a combination of things really got me on Thursday.

Quick change of plans meant I headed out for 180k at 10am, temp was already in the 80s. Riding through inland south jersey temps climbed into the 90s with stiff humidity and real feel into the triple digits. Ouch.

Probably a combination of the conditions themselves; the couple martinis the night before and the lack of conditioning heading into 100+ miles; but by the last 15 miles I was pedaling squares and hoping death came swiftly.

Adding insult to injury; I was convinced that I had left a 6 pack of beer in the fridge at my destination and it was indeed not there! That though was all that got me to the end! I settled for a shower on the coldest setting for 1/2 an hour.
Two days later I’m still feeling sort of “wasted”.

Not sure why I’m posting this other than a warning to take high heat and humidity conditions seriously. I think my body was really closer to the danger zone than I gave it credit for and I’m happy I got to the house without majorly going to pieces; but I can say for sure I was close to that juncture.

Ride safe pals!

dsimon
07-06-2019, 05:38 PM
Yeah Its hot here too. we went to the movies to get out of the heat

bigbill
07-06-2019, 05:53 PM
We ride at sunrise this time of year. Single digit humidity but high temps and intense sun at midday. I MTB in the late afternoon when it's around 100 degrees because it's cooling off the whole time. Usually down to 95 by the time I'm done.

duff_duffy
07-06-2019, 06:01 PM
Where were you riding? I was out riding between Salem and Gloucester Counties past few days. Might have been passed by you! Love the hot temps but I’m thinking it’s about time for a rest day myself.

Big Dan
07-06-2019, 06:05 PM
Crazy hot down here.

cribbit
07-06-2019, 06:13 PM
Summers here are going to drive me back to living in just Santa Monica, no more NYC. How people lived here before AC is beyond me.

AngryScientist
07-06-2019, 06:19 PM
Where were you riding? I was out riding between Salem and Gloucester Counties past few days. Might have been passed by you! Love the hot temps but I’m thinking it’s about time for a rest day myself.

this is the big picture. 115 miles of hell. all road. zero shade all day. ugh. it was a ride i've been meaning to tackle, but in reality, it sucked.

seanile
07-06-2019, 06:19 PM
Careful of the heat stroke, hard to notice its onset.

This sounds like Type 3 fun.

charliedid
07-06-2019, 06:25 PM
Nothing to mess with, I've had bad heat stroke a couple times. How much did you eat and or drink? I did a couple consecutive 110 plus days in the 90's last year and was probably stopping every 10 miles to pee. Clear and copious as they say. Glad you are okay.

makoti
07-06-2019, 06:48 PM
We ride at sunrise this time of year. Single digit humidity but high temps and intense sun at midday. I MTB in the late afternoon when it's around 100 degrees because it's cooling off the whole time. Usually down to 95 by the time I'm done.

I've been getting up at 6am for my weekend rides, and for someone who works evenings & bedtime is routinely past midnight, that's hard. It's the only way, though. Gotta be on the road by 715, or forget it.

OtayBW
07-06-2019, 07:50 PM
Careful of the heat stroke, hard to notice its onset.

This sounds like Type 3 fun.

Nothing to mess with, I've had bad heat stroke a couple times. Yep - I've had heat exhaustion and stroke before. It ain't good and the last thing you need is a 6-pack in the fridge waiting for you when you get in...

merckxman
07-06-2019, 09:40 PM
Rode yesterday, western NJ. Heat and humidity got to me more than it usually does. Some good napping today.

weisan
07-07-2019, 02:13 AM
I noticed that heat and humidity have played a major part in our group rides recently. Strong riders getting dropped. Bonking is happening more often.

At the rest stop, whatever is left in our community water jug after everyone had refilled their water bottles, I would pour it over myself, sometimes until I am fully drenched. That used to make me a laughing spectacle.

Not anymore.

Some folks are following after me in picking up the "habit" of dousing water over their head through the helmet vents. That's a good start.

Recently, I experimented with putting ice cubes underneath my shorts to cool off the legs. As they melt, the cooling water drips down to the lower legs and cool off those parts too.

It worked.

No more cramps.

moonhoo
07-07-2019, 06:09 AM
Not to derail this thread (yes it’s hot out there!) how did you return from the south end of the ride? I’m in the area and always looking for routes.

this is the big picture. 115 miles of hell. all road. zero shade all day. ugh. it was a ride i've been meaning to tackle, but in reality, it sucked.

marciero
07-07-2019, 06:18 AM
I feel for you. I am terrible in the heat. Was like a sauna in portland yesterday packing the car. Is much more temperate up the coast. Here are some pics from last night. This is in Hancock on a penninsula on mainland jutting out south towrd mount desrt island. You can see cadillac mountain with the top covered in fog in two of the photos. Clear out today but my photo wont upload.

soulspinner
07-07-2019, 06:21 AM
Wow great pics. Rode the 4rth in high heat and humidity. Settled in with a guy half my age hanging on at 20 something all the way home( only an hour or so). Felt so good but a 90 minute nap in a/c followed.:p

mcteague
07-07-2019, 06:48 AM
Its all about the humidity. Here in MD, I hate when the weather report just gives temps without dewpoint or humidity info, useless. When temps and dewpoint become the same number it gets really uncomfortable out. I was out for about 2 hours yesterday AM and just felt tired and had a bit of trouble breathing. Found out it was a code red day. Love these Mid-Atlantic Summers!:(

Tim

BRad704
07-07-2019, 07:21 AM
Not sure how the spring weather was in the NE but the midsouth had a pretty wet and mild spring. Followed by immediately jumping to the usual 90's with 108% humidity. Not getting gradually acclimated to the heat has made the month pretty hard riding for me. Several times I've finished the local group ride and had your same wasted feeling for a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AngryScientist
07-07-2019, 09:42 AM
Not to derail this thread (yes it’s hot out there!) how did you return from the south end of the ride? I’m in the area and always looking for routes.

family met me down here, spending the long weekend at the shore. thank goodness for the cool ocean!

Tickdoc
07-07-2019, 09:53 AM
One round of Heat exhaustion will zap you for days.

Really sucks about the beer too.:rolleyes:

I took a longish ride not long ago with a planned halfway stop at the turnaround where I was anticipating a coke and a payday for some return trip energy.

Pulled up to the store and realized I brought no money. In my haste to leave I forgot to pack my ssentials case where I keep my id and a little cash.

Rest up my friend.

rbtmcardle
07-07-2019, 09:55 AM
Ahh. The pine barrens...I would often ride the opposite way from AC area north..the roads are endless..no shelter from the sun or the bugs..not much in the way of water stops etc.

Feels good to finish..makes you question your sanity from mile 75 on though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rzthomas
07-07-2019, 12:24 PM
I'm in the deep south and I'm out riding on the weekends by 6-6:15. As I start, the temperature ain't bad but the air is thick and I start sweating immediately.

Once the sun comes out, it's awful.

FlashUNC
07-07-2019, 12:49 PM
The heat is no joke. Especially once it turns the lights out and heat exhaustion sets in.

jischr
07-07-2019, 01:21 PM
Download the OSHA NIOSH heat tool to your phone. Good info on location specific index and hazard level, symptoms, what to do etc. I've started to bag longer rides when the index reaches high hazard.

merckxman
07-07-2019, 01:44 PM
Helpful, thank you!
Download the OSHA NIOSH heat tool to your phone. Good info on location specific index and hazard level, symptoms, what to do etc. I've started to bag longer rides when the index reaches high hazard.

verbs4us
07-07-2019, 05:58 PM
Great pix. Like Tim Sample used to say, "We got two seasons up here in Maine: July, and winter."

pdmtong
07-07-2019, 06:11 PM
Geat pix. my brother lives in NH and is going to spend a week some place north of portland - island called vinalhaven?

I have no idea about these places other than they look great and I will never go there (too far, maui is closer)

Hellgate
07-07-2019, 09:08 PM
The heat has been rough the past couple of weeks. Heat indexes of 104ish.

This Saturday I went out for 3.5 hours. Drank 92oz of fluid, still lost 4.5lbs during the ride!

And the 100s aren't here yet...

Ronsonic
07-07-2019, 09:29 PM
Tampa had a hotter than usual spring - no relief as we roll into summer.

Normally I spend the hotter months on the mountain bike in the woods. It isn't any cooler and often more humid, but it's out from under that sun. Tore up my ankle a few weeks ago so I'm out suffering on the road until that heals up.

Thought I was acclimated, but it's bad out there. Packing electrolyte replacements (it's what plants crave) even on a two hour ride.

Be careful out there.

paulh
07-08-2019, 04:24 AM
In Minnesota, our two seasons are winter and road construction.

jemdet
07-08-2019, 09:35 AM

Ha. It was about 40 degrees last time I rode by Brendan Byrne. Stiff headwind. I did 125 miles that day and ended up with windburn. Had to put plastic bags between my socks at the Wawa on 70 / 72.

chiasticon
07-08-2019, 10:20 AM
In Minnesota, our two seasons are winter and road construction.lol. same joke in Northeast Ohio. state bird is the orange barrel. :banana:

I'm awful in the heat. I got dropped HARD on a group ride a few weeks back when it first started to climb, on a route/with a group I should have been fine on. the humidity here is insane, and that's what did me in that day. pushed through it too hard and got the worst calf cramps I've ever had. felt like golf balls in there for days afterwards. ugh.

because of that, I've been trying to go the salt tablet route to keep sodium and electrolytes in my system. absolutely CANNOT go on just water when it's hot out. I start to feel super weird and it sometimes takes a day or two to shake it. maybe that was your issue, Angry?

BobO
07-08-2019, 04:05 PM
Amateurs,... hot is 115*, anything below that is balmy until it hits 79*, then it's too damn cold. :p

merlinmurph
07-08-2019, 08:17 PM
Ugh. That's a long ride on a hot day, gotta give you credit for sticking it out. Guess you don't have much choice on a point-to-point ride. During the heat up here in Franconia NH, I got a solid 8 miles in, just enough to get me to the parade and a swimming hole.

And no shade. Shade is a big reason I like gravel rides, because you're usually on narrow country roads.

180k, huh? That's a familiar number......