Figured we'd start here.

oldpotatoe
07-06-2019, 07:05 AM
Figured we'd start here.

NBC Gold, unfortunately with AP, commercials, on desk top-non..but Phil
And Bobke...good commentary...

Elefantino
07-06-2019, 07:54 AM
Interesting to see if Dimension Data DS Rolf Aldag stays or quits. Apparently he's hot about Cav being left off the team and was loud about it before the start of today's stage.

GregL
07-06-2019, 08:13 AM
If you use the NBC Sports app, choose "Cycling Pass" and you can watch the race ad-free, with Robbie McEwen and (I believe...) Matthew Keenan commentating.

Greg

abr5
07-06-2019, 08:16 AM
Great tip! Saves me from having to listen to Chris Horner... 5 minutes of his back and forth with Christian was enough to reinforce my dislike for them both.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

fignon's barber
07-06-2019, 08:17 AM

I Like Phil and Bobke. Horner is brutal. He just diagnosed G Thomas with "concussion effect". When schlanger corrected him and said, just to clarify, Thomas was not diagnosed with concussion, Horner says " hey, he got stiches in his head. they means you have a concussion of some sort."

Elefantino
07-06-2019, 08:19 AM
Got a nice shout-out on Eurosport. Thanks, Carlton!

oldpotatoe
07-06-2019, 08:27 AM
If you use the NBC Sports app, choose "Cycling Pass" and you can watch the race ad-free, with Robbie McEwen and (I believe...) Matthew Keenan commentating.

Greg

Done and thanks...the Phil and Bobke team is no big deal, even Horner and the guy on the motorcycle but don’t need to see (another!) Lexus, Daytona, Honeywell ad...

oldpotatoe
07-06-2019, 08:32 AM
Interesting to see if Dimension Data DS Rolf Aldag stays or quits. Apparently he's hot about Cav being left off the team and was loud about it before the start of today's stage.

??who made that decision then? If not the DIRECTOR?

oldpotatoe
07-06-2019, 08:38 AM
5 helicopters parked next to race route at 60km to go. Wonder why? Big $ people watching? Bugno driving any of them?

Elefantino
07-06-2019, 08:44 AM
??who made that decision then? If not the DIRECTOR?
Doug Ryder, the team principal.

belopsky
07-06-2019, 09:22 AM
Is there anywhere to see speed and watts as they're riding?

Elefantino
07-06-2019, 09:35 AM
Fuglsang. Ouch.

Mzilliox
07-06-2019, 09:54 AM
so close, was really hoping Sagan took that for his confidence, nice ride

dbnm
07-06-2019, 10:10 AM
very exciting stage 1

Elefantino
07-06-2019, 10:24 AM
so close, was really hoping Sagan took that for his confidence, nice ride
Sagan will wear green tomorrow.

He may not give up that jersey.

ntb1001
07-06-2019, 10:36 AM

Greg

Seems like here in Canada on Sportsnet we get the feed with Robbie McEwen....no Horner or Phil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ruimteaapje
07-06-2019, 10:48 AM
18th Dutch rider to wear the yellow jersey but the first since 1989

Elefantino
07-06-2019, 11:32 AM
18th Dutch rider to wear the yellow jersey but the first since 1989

Breukink was a doper. Does that count? :eek:

azrider
07-06-2019, 12:00 PM
Great stage.

Peter who? 🤣🤣

Hope Fulsang starts tomorrow

And I hope they stop with all the Cavendish drama. Dude should not be invited “just because” he’s done it 12 years in a row. You’ve been non factor for past couple Tour’s.....time to move on

Ruimteaapje
07-06-2019, 02:51 PM
Breukink was a doper. Does that count? :eek:
With PDM most likely and with ONCE no doubt (start of the EPO era) but I don't recall any doping accusations from his time with Panasonic

Elefantino
07-07-2019, 05:43 AM
This was Nibali yesterday, avoiding the crash of his teammate, Caruso, by jumping a 3" curb.

Fuglsang didn't have the same reflexes.

https://twitter.com/RenaudB31/status/1147606446525296640

BdaGhisallo
07-07-2019, 05:55 AM
Seems like here in Canada on Sportsnet we get the feed with Robbie McEwen....no Horner or Phil.

I am VPNing into the Eurosport player and getting the best coverage. No more Phil that's for sure. He was good in the 80s when I started following cycling - I can recite his commentary into for the stage to La Plagne in the 87 TdF from memory I watched that vhs tape so many times! - but he is past his sell by date.

fignon's barber
07-07-2019, 06:11 AM
This was Nibali yesterday, avoiding the crash of his teammate, Caruso, by jumping a 3" curb.

Nice video catch, hadn't scene that. Fuglsang was right on Nibs wheel, and didn't have a chance. Nibs was lucky he had a clear view and plenty of distance to react.

soulspinner
07-07-2019, 06:18 AM

just another day at work...………..

Elefantino
07-07-2019, 07:15 AM
LeMond: "I keep hearing about Valverde losing 5 kilos. If he really lost 5 kilos and he's the same condition as in the Tour, in theory, in mathematically, he should win the Tour."

https://sporza.be/nl/2019/07/06/lemond/

Bruce K
07-07-2019, 07:57 AM
Early in TTT - INEOS wrecked themselves for Thomas

We’ll see how f the time holds up...

BK

oldpotatoe
07-07-2019, 08:17 AM
Early in TTT - INEOS wrecked themselves for Thomas

We’ll see how f the time holds up...

BK

Astana with disc brakes..for a dry, flat, TT...Direct Energy too...surprised TREK isn't..
-tifosi scratch head

-:)

My face, even a couple of Cofidis(Campagnolo) riders on disc also...

oh well..wonder how many years before rim brakes are the outlier at the GTs..:eek:

Elefantino
07-07-2019, 10:03 AM
Jumbo-Visma won by 20 seconds.

The gap between second place (Ineos) and 10th place (Astana) was 21 seconds.

Over a 27k time trial, that is an unbelievable win.

Fun fact: In the 29 TTTs he has started in his career, Tony Martin has won ... eight.

paredown
07-07-2019, 10:09 AM

Fun fact: In the 29 TTTs he has started in his career, Tony Martin has won ... eight.
Caught the last bit of this after my ride this AM--that was a lovely ride--one gapped rider with about 2+ k to go, tightened up and a rocking finish...

So our Dutch leader, Mike Teunissen will be in yellow for at least one more day:banana:

joosttx
07-07-2019, 11:00 PM

As I predicted, this is Tony Martin’s year.

However more importantly, a Dutch woman won the XC MTB in Andorra today.

rwsaunders
07-08-2019, 07:37 AM
As I predicted (again), this is Tony Martin’s year.

Houston....as you know, Tony Martin doesn’t use a Garmin while he’s team TT’ing...he decides what time they finish.

Bruce K
07-08-2019, 08:05 AM
And fairly quietly...

Wout Van Aert is in the White Jersey!

Cross is coming!!

BK

Elefantino
07-08-2019, 08:47 AM
And fairly quietly...

Wout Van Aert is in the White Jersey!

Cross is coming!!

BK
WVA is a good pick for today's stage.

weisan
07-08-2019, 11:05 AM

572cv
07-08-2019, 11:10 AM
Alaphilippe is a local guy from this region.... the internet practically went down here.:). A brave ride, he pulled it off. Cool.

tony_mm
07-08-2019, 11:32 AM
GREAT!

Maybe another TdF like with Voeckler!

denapista
07-08-2019, 11:46 AM
What are Alphillipe's flaws that make him a non-GC rider? Are his TT efforts horrible or something? The guy flies in the mountains.

FlashUNC
07-08-2019, 11:58 AM
What are Alphillipe's flaws that make him a non-GC rider? Are his TT efforts horrible or something? The guy flies in the mountains.

He's not a pure climber and he's not a great TT'er. The same reason Gilbert was never a GC contender. Being punchy in the Ardennes ain't the same as being first up Ventoux.

Ralph
07-08-2019, 03:06 PM
I stream 4 TV's (ROKU) and have one additional connected to a DVR box.

On the DVR box can watch and record from cable NBC Sports network.

However....that is on a TV I don't like to watch.

I'm looking over the NBC Sports App, and notice with the NBC Gold package, can watch the Tour on demand...ad free.

Is that what you guys are doing? How much does that cost? For a year, etc? Lots more on there beside the Tour also.

Ruimteaapje
07-08-2019, 03:30 PM
He's not a pure climber and he's not a great TT'er. The same reason Gilbert was never a GC contender. Being punchy in the Ardennes ain't the same as being first up Ventoux.
Plus he pics his moments. He never showed he can be consistent during a one-week stage race let alone a three-week one

warren128
07-08-2019, 05:08 PM
After many, many years of trying to get Tour coverage for free via the Internet (with spotty success), I finally gave in this year and signed up for the NBC Gold cycling pass for $54.99 for a season of cycling coverage. I signed up to watch the TDF, but I'll also be enjoying the other major covered events for the whole year whenever I have urge to check in on it. With the pass, I can watch via my phone app, on my laptop/pc, or on my Internet connected TV via my Amazon Firestick.

I'm happy with it so far.

I stream 4 TV's (ROKU) and have one additional connected to a DVR box.

On the DVR box can watch and record from cable NBC Sports network.

However....that is on a TV I don't like to watch.

I'm looking over the NBC Sports App, and notice with the NBC Gold package, can watch the Tour on demand...ad free.

Is that what you guys are doing? How much does that cost? For a year, etc? Lots more on there beside the Tour also.

Ralph
07-08-2019, 05:16 PM
After many, many years of trying to get Tour coverage for free via the Internet (with spotty success), I finally gave in this year and signed up for the NBC Gold cycling pass for $54.99 for a season of cycling coverage. I signed up to watch the TDF, but I'll also be enjoying the other major covered events for the whole year whenever I have urge to check in on it. With the pass, I can watch via my phone app, on my laptop/pc, or on my Internet connected TV via my Amazon Firestick.

I'm happy with it so far.

Thanks....I just signed up for NBC Gold Cycling Pass.

jlwdm
07-08-2019, 09:00 PM
An easy choice of which feed to watch on NBC Gold. Ad free with good announcers or with ads and crummy announcers.

Jeff

jlwdm
07-08-2019, 09:31 PM

Just recognize that the peloton could have caught him today if it mattered - it did not. The only team that cared was the team in yellow and Teunissen is not the kind of rider to keep up with today's pace.

TT does not mean too much this year as there is only one ITT.

Excellent riding for a stage 3.

Jeff

bcroslin
07-09-2019, 09:41 AM
How refreshing to check into my hotel in Dublin and flip on the TV and have the choice of watching the tour in English or French. No pirate feeds, no $50 for NBC crap, just flip 2 channels and there you go. I love Europe.

Bruce K
07-09-2019, 09:49 AM
1. Lance being interviewed by the NBC broadcast team. Not seamless with a few awkward moments but an interesting development.

2. New moto trikes for many of them cameras and neutral support. It’s about time. Much more stable = greater safety for all.

BK

saab2000
07-09-2019, 09:58 AM
How refreshing to check into my hotel in Dublin and flip on the TV and have the choice of watching the tour in English or French. No pirate feeds, no $50 for NBC crap, just flip 2 channels and there you go. I love Europe.

The $50 NBC feed is commercial-free is is the exact same feed as the other channels.

GregL
07-09-2019, 10:07 AM
The $50 NBC feed is commercial-free is is the exact same feed as the other channels.
And the NBC annual subscription covers many other races including the Vuelta, road and cross worlds, and several other one-day races and stage races.

Greg

Elefantino
07-09-2019, 10:13 AM
1. Lance being interviewed by the NBC broadcast team. Not seamless with a few awkward moments but an interesting development.

2. New moto trikes for many of them cameras and neutral support. It’s about time. Much more stable = greater safety for all.

BK

That's one way to put it.

"Lance Armstrong has no place in cycling." - Pat McQuaid

FlashUNC
07-09-2019, 10:17 AM

It's as if NBC just keeps piling on reasons to keep me from watching.

redir
07-09-2019, 10:46 AM
God those bunch sprints are so stressful to watch.

Elefantino
07-09-2019, 11:48 AM
What a wonderful leadout by Morkov and Richeze, and what a brutal finish by Groenewegen. He had van Aert and Teunissen leading him out but sat up. He's probably still feeling the effects of his crash.

jb_11
07-09-2019, 01:41 PM

$55 this year. They keep raising the rate every year. I just couldn't justify it anymore.

GregL
07-09-2019, 01:53 PM
$55 this year. They keep raising the rate every year. I just couldn't justify it anymore.
To me, $55 is cheap for HD-quality, advertisement-free pro cycling coverage. And that covers the TdF, Vuelta, World Championships (road, MTB, and cyclocross), and many one-day and stage races. You can watch live or replays anywhere with sufficient wifi coverage. For a guy who remembers getting cycling race coverage two-four weeks after the fact from VeloNews or a 30 minute ESPN daily highlight show at 12AM, the NBC Sports coverage is a bargain.

Greg

tony_mm
07-09-2019, 03:13 PM
That's one way to put it.

"Lance Armstrong has no place in cycling." - Pat McQuaid

+1

A shame to still see Lance Amstrong!

pdmtong
07-09-2019, 03:36 PM
BK
A few stages ago we had to endure him mis-pronouncing jakobs name and then George on his knees bowing about his skill in avoiding major crashes....

denapista
07-09-2019, 03:58 PM
It's obvious America is desperate for any coverage of pro cycling, and let's be honest... Good or Bad, Lance is the only name synonymous with cycling in this country. He was as popular as Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan or any other huge mega star. Outside of Lance the casual fan doesn't know anything about cycling. Mainstream media knows this and they're trying to put him in front of the cameras slowly but surely on his image recovery campaign.

The guy oozes sleezeball to me in every fashion. The way he keeps making fun of Hincapie's wife being a trophy presenter, seems like a creep move. Like he's taking shots at Hincapie for marrying someone that presented stage trophies. It's so weird.. "George's wife is from France!"

Elefantino
07-10-2019, 09:00 AM
Katusha-Alpecin is toast at the end of the season. The German shampoo maker will take its dollars to Correndon-Circus to help get that team and a certain Mr. van der Poel to the World Tour.

It's great shampoo, BTW. Really works.

Big Dan
07-10-2019, 09:03 AM
Turned the TV off when Lance came on.

saab2000
07-10-2019, 09:19 AM
To me, $55 is cheap for HD-quality, advertisement-free pro cycling coverage. And that covers the TdF, Vuelta, World Championships (road, MTB, and cyclocross), and many one-day and stage races. You can watch live or replays anywhere with sufficient wifi coverage. For a guy who remembers getting cycling race coverage two-four weeks after the fact from VeloNews or a 30 minute ESPN daily highlight show at 12AM, the NBC Sports coverage is a bargain.

Greg

Totally agreed. I like the á la carte option and being ad-free it's very much worth it to me even if I only watch part of it.

I don't subscribe to cable TV so this is way cheaper than if I try to find it included in a package that has NBCSN with their incessant commercials.

Additionally, the Australian commentators are excellent.

redir
07-10-2019, 10:29 AM
I knew that was gonna happen.

Alan
07-10-2019, 10:50 AM
The fun begins tomorrow. Will be interesting to sort out GC contenders.

Alan

Elefantino
07-10-2019, 12:12 PM
The fun begins tomorrow. Will be interesting to sort out GC contenders.

Alan
Oof. The 20% ramp is bad enough but then a gravel section leading to a 24% finish!

jlwdm
07-10-2019, 12:16 PM
Glad to see a mountain top finish. Too many mountain stages not finishing on top of a mountain for a number of years. Finishing on a mountain top is much more difficult logistically though.

Jeff

bward1028
07-10-2019, 12:22 PM
We are in Mulhouse right now. Had thought about watching the finish but the logistics of getting up there and back out seemed very difficult. Not sure how they do it with all the team gear and the podium and everything.

benb
07-10-2019, 03:09 PM
I was in Colmar right at the 2km marker today leaning over the barriers with my wife, son, and brother in law. We got in about 2 hours before the peloton and had lunch and got into place.

Got some souvenirs and injected a good bit of cycling enthusiasm into my son.

It really isn’t a lot to see in person but the anticipation and the crowd is really exciting. It was sweet to see everyone waiting around to make sure every rider to the last got cheered.

I’ll share some pictures when I get home I’m not set up to get the pictures off my camera on the road.

paredown
07-10-2019, 03:15 PM
I was in Colmar right at the 2km marker today leaning over the barriers with my wife, son, and brother in law. We got in about 2 hours before the peloton and had lunch and got into place.

Got some souvenirs and injected a good bit of cycling enthusiasm into my son.

It really isn’t a lot to see in person but the anticipation and the crowd is really exciting. It was sweet to see everyone waiting around to make sure every rider to the last got cheered.

I’ll share some pictures when I get home I’m not set up to get the pictures off my camera on the road.
That was a good finish today--a thinned out bunch, some freelancing going on. Nice ride by Boasson Hagan to get back on after his mechanical!

OtayBW
07-10-2019, 05:03 PM
That was a good finish today--a thinned out bunch, some freelancing going on. Nice ride by Boasson Hagan to get back on after his mechanical!I really enjoyed the finish. Like him or not (I do...), It was awesome seeing Sagan just bolt right through at the end. Game over! :banana:

GonaSovereign
07-11-2019, 08:44 AM

Greg

What's the trick to getting the ad-free version? I signed up for the NBC Sports Gold, and it's 50% ads here on my computer.

GregL
07-11-2019, 09:18 AM
What's the trick to getting the ad-free version? I signed up for the NBC Sports Gold, and it's 50% ads here on my computer.
If your viewing from a PC using the NBC Sports Gold website, just select the ad-free feed.

Jaybee
07-11-2019, 09:53 AM
Lotto is killing it today.

(25 min later)...

Lotto was killing it.

redir
07-11-2019, 10:57 AM
I love those slow motion finishes :D

GonaSovereign
07-11-2019, 11:19 AM
If your viewing from a PC using the NBC Sports Gold website, just select the ad-free feed.

Thanks!

dbnm
07-11-2019, 11:32 AM
Another exciting stage. A great Tour so far.

Clean39T
07-11-2019, 11:42 AM
JA went so deep to try to keep the jersey...what a finish!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

LegendRider
07-11-2019, 11:50 AM

Greg

I called VeloNews' 900 number to find out Lance had won the worlds in 1993. (Told my girlfriend - now wife - ahead of time so there would be no misunderstanding :p)

Jaybee
07-11-2019, 11:51 AM
I love those slow motion finishes :D

Amazing that he stayed upright while doing his victory salute. 21% is stupid steep.

galgal
07-11-2019, 11:52 AM
JA went so deep to try to keep the jersey...what a finish!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Indeed. And if Ciccone hadn't picked up the 8 second bonus by a whisker over Wellens for being first over previous summit, JA would still be in yellow. Have to admit, didn't think JA could hang with GC contenders over this stage. They guy doesn't cease to surprise.

chiasticon
07-11-2019, 12:06 PM
If your viewing from a PC using the NBC Sports Gold website, just select the ad-free feed.why do even they give the option for the ad-filled viewing? or is that all you get if you want to use Chromecast or view replays or something...? the non ad-free one is ridiculous. it's three minutes of commercials, one minute of Bob Roll BS, show the guys in the break, then back to commercials...

denapista
07-11-2019, 12:21 PM
Considering everyone was saying JA would fade on today's stage, what do you think his chances are in the Tour? Was today's stage one for the puncheur type of rider when everyone thought it was one for the pure climbers?

How did all of the pure climbers lose to the punchy guys?

I see stage 15 as one for the Pinot types to take control of the tour.

FlashUNC
07-11-2019, 12:30 PM
Considering everyone was saying JA would fade on today's stage, what do you think his chances are in the Tour? Was today's stage one for the puncheur type of rider when everyone thought it was one for the pure climbers?

I see stage 15 as one for the Pinot types to take control of the tour.

JA's chances in the Tour are still zero. Not his kind of race other than stage hunting and maybe the opportunistic polka dot jersey.

Jaybee
07-11-2019, 12:38 PM
JA's chances in the Tour are still zero. Not his kind of race other than stage hunting and maybe the opportunistic polka dot jersey.

This. I don't think any of the real contenders did anything besides follow moves til the final km. i guess Landa tried something with 2.5k to go. They kind of let JA hang in there by not hammering the early climbs, and he's good on short steep stuff like that finish.

cgolvin
07-11-2019, 01:07 PM
Two thoughts from today:

1. Those are some of the toughest mofos in the world (ok, that's every day but today's finish was incredibly hard).
2. That is the smoothest "gravel" I have ever seen, a better surface than many of our paved roads.

Clean39T
07-11-2019, 01:22 PM
This. I don't think any of the real contenders did anything besides follow moves til the final km. i guess Landa tried something with 2.5k to go. They kind of let JA hang in there by not hammering the early climbs, and he's good on short steep stuff like that finish.

Uhh, seemed like the hammer was dropped pretty hard from about 10K to go trying to bring back the break - and if QuickStep would have put guys on the front, JA would still be in yellow - maybe he wanted to keep the jersey more than Lafevere?

G. Thomas' bridge up to JA and passing him on the final steeps was a serious show of strength too, and may be indicative of his ambitions relative to where E. Bernal came in on the day.

redir
07-11-2019, 01:43 PM
Amazing that he stayed upright while doing his victory salute. 21% is stupid steep.

When he got that little push I was afraid he was gonna fall over!

ntb1001
07-11-2019, 01:44 PM
Really liking the tour this year.
These have been interesting stages with great finishes.

OtayBW
07-11-2019, 01:55 PM
Two thoughts from today:

1. Those are some of the toughest mofos in the world (ok, that's every day but today's finish was incredibly hard).
2. That is the smoothest "gravel" I have ever seen, a better surface than many of our paved roads.
Yep, for sure, I live on a road with a 20% grade ~1/2 mi from my house, so I can appreciate the magnitude of the heft. Looked like hard packed coarse sand for that first (~20% grade) stretch, and then 'chip seal' for the final, steeper stretch. Wicked awesome, as they say....

I wonder what kind of gearing Teuns was pushing on that last bit....

summilux
07-11-2019, 02:02 PM
Just watching that finish made me hurt.

It nice to see a Canadian in the top 10, particularly since this is his first tour. I wonder if EF will let him try for a Stage win.

GregL
07-11-2019, 02:09 PM
Yep, for sure, I live on a road with a 20% grade ~1/2 mi from my house, so I can appreciate the magnitude of the heft. Looked like hard packed coarse sand for that first (~20% grade) stretch, and then 'chip seal' for the final, steeper stretch. Wicked awesome, as they say....

I wonder what kind of gearing Teuns was pushing on that last bit....
Not sure what Teuns used, but a local gravel race has a 1/4 mile climb that averages about 10% and peaks at 22%. I barely got up it with a 34/34 gear! Can't imagine tackling today's finishing climb at the end of a 160km stage with seven categorized climbs!

Greg

nooneline
07-11-2019, 02:59 PM

I think there was a time when "pure climber" was somebody who could go uphill really fast for a half hour or more, but I think a lot more people are able to do that now. Now, the pure climbers are people who, after 2.5 weeks of racing, when they have 3 or 4 stages like this in a row, can do climb after climb after climb.

chiasticon
07-11-2019, 03:19 PM
Uhh, seemed like the hammer was dropped pretty hard from about 10K to go trying to bring back the breakyeah they were going pretty damn hard and he hung in, with a very select group. that said, I believe if they *wanted* to drop him, they would have. that wasn't the goal for the day.

yellow gave him an extra gear today and he's for sure an incredible talent. but now that he's lost it, when they hit more simultaneous mountain stages, and it's into the third week, how will he do?

Jaybee
07-11-2019, 04:41 PM
yeah they were going pretty damn hard and he hung in, with a very select group. that said, I believe if they *wanted* to drop him, they would have. that wasn't the goal for the day.

yellow gave him an extra gear today and he's for sure an incredible talent. but now that he's lost it, when they hit more simultaneous mountain stages, and it's into the third week, how will he do?

This is kinda what I meant - not that there wasn’t a selection, but everyone was saving a few matches for the finish.

It will also be interesting to see how QS manages their resources since their main GC guy lost a couple minutes today.

Clean39T
07-11-2019, 04:54 PM
yeah they were going pretty damn hard and he hung in, with a very select group. that said, I believe if they *wanted* to drop him, they would have. that wasn't the goal for the day.

He'll be going for stage wins at that point I suspect - unless he's hanging around in the top-ten somehow.. Stranger things have happened.

Drmojo
07-11-2019, 05:26 PM
the last block up to my house
in SF
no wonder I was strong
(1987-1990)
that was then
this is now
sigh

pdmtong
07-11-2019, 10:15 PM
Haven't heard anyone refer to the contenders as the "heads of state"

RIP

weisan
07-11-2019, 10:39 PM
Fuglsang did well, all things considered.

pdmtong
07-11-2019, 11:48 PM
A valiant effort from Alaphilippe too. Many expected him to lose yellow but perhaps not in these circumstances. He attacked from the bunch in order to save his jersey but came up short.
The big winner on GC today was Thomas. Only a few seconds on handful of GC rivals but this was his most important ride since last year's Tour de France and he delivered. He caught Alaphillipe before the line and put time into all of his rivals, including teammate Bernal. Here's what Thomas had to say at the finish:

"I felt pretty good. I thought it would be more of a solid day, it’s never easy, but it was steady over the first few climbs. When Movistar went, Valverde was riding and it was solid. I was feeling good but I was unsure about … with the steep climbs not really my cup of tea, as they say.
"I was expecting Richie [Porte], Nairo [Quintana], Egan [Bernal], obviously, to go up there, and [Adam] Yates.
"I was hoping it would be harder all day, but it was a decent day.
"It’s one of those climbs that you really have to be patient and when [Julian] Alaphilippe went, at 800 metres to go or something like that, I had the confidence to let him go, ride my own tempo and then drive it all the way to the line from 350 metres. I started to blow, though, but it was solid. It’s decent." (Eurosport)

Elefantino
07-12-2019, 06:35 AM
This is how we felt after our flight to NYC was delayed, delayed, delayed and then canceled last night.

OtayBW
07-12-2019, 07:33 AM
This is how we felt after our flight to NYC was delayed, delayed, delayed and then canceled last night.
Great pic! Even better watching it live!

Jaybee
07-12-2019, 10:26 AM
So who is taking this sprint? 1.6km of pretty much straight finish, should be able to get the whole train in place and launch your guy.

Bruce K
07-12-2019, 12:57 PM
Tejay Van G got wrecked early on today. Hit a curb and concrete pole at 7 km in.

He finished the sage inside the time cut but may have a broken hand. No concussion but he has cuts and bruises on his face and elsewhere.

The guy can’t catch a break!

BK

grateful
07-12-2019, 04:56 PM
I am tuned into the Tour more so than years past. Working from home, Tour on in the background, being able to rewind when I missed something due to my damn job.

It really appears to me that there is much less of a gap between #1; #2... #20. Definitely entertaining, almost half way through the Tour and I am still holding out hope for Sagan to win it all. 5 years ago was wondering who would win 4th place.

Seeing the "Head of State" contain 30 riders struggling to turn the pedals is something new. Exciting in a different way.

I do miss the "on another planet" excursions for entertainment value on occasions just like I sometime miss the excitement of the McGuire/Sosa battles. I realize that it is not real but that is entertainment.

Excuse me but the latest WWF episode is about to commence.

Brad

Jaybee
07-12-2019, 05:02 PM
Tejay Van G got wrecked early on today. Hit a curb and concrete pole at 7 km in.

He finished the sage inside the time cut but may have a broken hand. No concussion but he has cuts and bruises on his face and elsewhere.

The guy can’t catch a break!

BK

Broken thumb. Out. Bummer

denapista
07-12-2019, 05:27 PM
Sagan will have to lose so many kilos to be able to contend for the Tour win. There was a super good article written a couple of years ago, on what needs to occur for Sagan to win the Tour.

It just feels like all of the good veteran guys legs are cooked and they've aged in front of our eyes. Where's the new young developed talent? Uran, Nibali, Porte, etc... Those guys are old in TDF years.

e-RICHIE
07-12-2019, 05:36 PM
Sagan will have to lose so many kilos to be able to contend for the Tour win. There was a super good article written a couple of years ago, on what needs to occur for Sagan to win the Tour.

?? Why even write that article. Not everyone is a grand tour body type. Sagan would never be one. Could never be one.

OtayBW
07-12-2019, 05:38 PM

It just feels like all of the good veteran guys legs are cooked and they've aged in front of our eyes. Where's the new young developed talent? Uran, Nibali, Porte, etc... Those guys are old in TDF years.
IMO, Sagan is entertaining, talented, and good for the sport - whatever his weight class....

jlwdm
07-12-2019, 06:04 PM
I am tuned into the Tour more so than years past. Working from home, Tour on in the background, being able to rewind when I missed something due to my damn job.

It really appears to me that there is much less of a gap between #1; #2... #20. Definitely entertaining, almost half way through the Tour and I am still holding out hope for Sagan to win it all. 5 years ago was wondering who would win 4th place.

Seeing the "Head of State" contain 30 riders struggling to turn the pedals is something new. Exciting in a different way.

I do miss the "on another planet" excursions for entertainment value on occasions just like I sometime miss the excitement of the McGuire/Sosa battles. I realize that it is not real but that is entertainment.

Excuse me but the latest WWF episode is about to commence.

Brad

We are just a 1/3 through the tour and have had only one mountain stage. Everyone waited until the end. No more mountains for almost another week.

So it is hard to say who is strong yet. But we do know Sagan will lose boatloads of time in the mountains.

Jeff

FlashUNC
07-12-2019, 07:00 PM

I put this in the same category as all elephants need to do is sprout wings, lose a couple tons, change their entire aerodynamic profile and they too could fly like birds.

VTCaraco
07-12-2019, 07:03 PM
What's the yellow "B" on the stage profile?
https://cdn.cyclingstage.com/images/tour-de-france/2019/stage-8-jaillere.jpg

OtayBW
07-12-2019, 07:50 PM
What's the yellow "B" on the stage profile?

Ball Buster...Wild guess....

VTCaraco
07-12-2019, 08:07 PM
Ball Buster...Wild guess....

That was my wife's guess, too.

FL_MarkD
07-12-2019, 09:12 PM
The 'B' apparently means time bonus to the first rider.

From the Cyclingnews stage description:

" it has also been designated as one of the eight point-bonus, which are intended to spice up the battle for the yellow jersey. A rider close to the lead who can take the eight seconds at the summit and then hold on to claim the 10-second bonus awarded for winning the stage could end up scooping quite a jackpot"

I think Cicccone received the bonus during stage 6 and that made the difference to put him in yellow over Alaphillipe.

oldpotatoe
07-13-2019, 08:51 AM
We are just a 1/3 through the tour and have had only one mountain stage. Everyone waited until the end. No more mountains for almost another week.

So it is hard to say who is strong yet. But we do know Sagan will lose boatloads of time in the mountains.

Jeff

Guess your definition of a 'mountain' stage is different than mine..138km thru today and going up a 13% grade..another to follow, another after that..
Plus another 3 categorized climbs tomorrow..certainly none of the 200km flat, flat stages of the past.

tony_mm
07-13-2019, 09:17 AM
Today it is “hilly” (definition of the Tour de France)
https://www.letour.fr/en/stage-8

Jaybee
07-13-2019, 10:23 AM
I think I'm developing a crush on Alaphillipe. What a badass.

galgal
07-13-2019, 11:16 AM
In yellow on Bastille Day. Way to go JA:hello:

jlwdm
07-13-2019, 01:27 PM
Guess your definition of a 'mountain' stage is different than mine..138km thru today and going up a 13% grade..another to follow, another after that..
Plus another 3 categorized climbs tomorrow..certainly none of the 200km flat, flat stages of the past.

Yes, I use the tour definition. This is a hilly stage and not a stage for the overall contenders. Sagan coming in 5th in the bunch should have made this obvious.

The tour really starts next Thursday with three mountain stages and the only ITT in 4 days.

Jeff

grateful
07-13-2019, 01:41 PM
Sagan can win the Tour, who else can wheelie up d'Huez minimizing the drag from two wheels down to one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQCw7MaI-sU

crankles
07-13-2019, 05:47 PM
?? Why even write that article. Not everyone is a grand tour body type. Sagan would never be one. Could never be one.

I would have thought that same of Geraint Thomas 5 or 6 years back....

pbarry
07-13-2019, 06:45 PM
I would have thought that same of Geraint Thomas 5 or 6 years back....
Or young LA..

weisan
07-13-2019, 06:55 PM
When I grow up, I don't want to be a sprinter, or a climber or a classic or a GC rider, I just want to be Thomas De Gendt.

redir
07-13-2019, 07:05 PM
The break didn't get a break from the peloton today. IT seems that on any normal day with riders like that they would have been way out front but the main bunch just kept pushing on. I was really hoping to see my man Ben King get a stage win. There's still time.

cgolvin
07-13-2019, 07:53 PM
When I grow up, I don't want to be a sprinter, or a climber or a classic or a GC rider, I just want to be Thomas De Gendt.

That was an awe-inspiring performance

galgal
07-13-2019, 08:52 PM
^ yes, that was a tremendous ride by de Gendt! In a stage that Sagan eloquently summed up as f-g hard. Speaking of Sagan, not sure why the topic of the day on this thread became Sagan winning the TdF in the future. Surprised that no one has mentioned the obvious path for his doing so. All he has to do is join Ineos. You know, the team that took a track cyclist in Sir Wiggo, who famously was reduced to carrying rather than riding his bike on a Giro mountain stage, and turned him into a TdF winner. QED.

jlwdm
07-13-2019, 09:23 PM
^ yes, that was a tremendous ride by de Gendt! In a stage that Sagan eloquently summed up as f-g hard. Speaking of Sagan, not sure why the topic of the day on this thread became Sagan winning the TdF in the future. Surprised that no one has mentioned the obvious path for his doing so. All he has to do is join Ineos. You know, the team that took a track cyclist in Sir Wiggo, who famously was reduced to carrying rather than riding his bike on a Giro mountain stage, and turned him into a TdF winner. QED.

Very different builds between Wiggins and Sagan.

Jeff

Mzilliox
07-14-2019, 08:33 AM

this:hello:

bcroslin
07-14-2019, 09:22 AM
A little OT but is anyone watching TDF via Fubo’s cycling package or is it only accessible with Fubo's full package that includes NBC sports?

572cv
07-15-2019, 04:21 AM
We’re in Laguiole to watch the Tour come through.... its about 66 klicks into the race from St Flour, and there is, at present, about a 15-20mph tailwind. Yikes. These guys are going to be flying through here if this persists. The arrival time is predicted between 1:30 and 2:00 (13:30-14:00) this afternoon. Laguiole is up at about 1000 meters altitude. Beautiful open rolling countryside, here. There are about 50 police scattered through town and the whole place is now blocked off, at 11:30. That’s it for now.

benb
07-15-2019, 09:26 AM
I just got back from France last night.

Seems like a really exciting Tour to me so far.

Kind of a let down to be home though. Yesterday I took the TGV from Strasbourg to Paris and everyone was watching the Tour on the train via Wifi. Then getting through Charles De Gaulle airport in the afternoon there was literally no place in in the air port where the Tour wasn't on the TV. Wall to wall coverage and everyone was excited.

I had to get on the plane and missed the finish yesterday.. just feels like we've had 2-3 days of great finishes with a lot of drama, just the way I like it.

Stage 5 when we were in Colmar at the 2km marker it was nuts to see the lead group come through the whole group whizzed by in < 5 seconds... stupendously fast. The grupettos, etc.. came through dramatically slower.

weisan
07-15-2019, 10:20 AM
Oh gosh!

I was watching on the tiny little screen on my phone with the sound turned off...at first I thought it was Dylan....then later I realized it was Wout!!!

Beating the "who's who" of the sprinter class?

Wow!

That's unprecedented.

http://alicehui.com/bike/rides/wout.jpg

http://alicehui.com/bike/rides/wout4.jpg

Bruce K
07-15-2019, 11:20 AM
CX isn't just coming - IT'S HERE!!!

WVA is an amazingly powerful rider when it's time to go.

And Aliphilipe is still a bada$$.

Great stage.

BK

FlashUNC
07-15-2019, 11:26 AM
Wout was the most consistent rider throughout the Spring Classics campaign, and probably would have given Gilbert a run at Roubaix if not for his string of bad luck in the race.

Kid has a motor.

Lewis Moon
07-15-2019, 12:14 PM
Wout was the most consistent rider throughout the Spring Classics campaign, and probably would have given Gilbert a run at Roubaix if not for his string of bad luck in the race.

Kid has a motor.

My question is whether we'll see him on a CX bike again...With MvdP tearing it up in CX and MTB, maybe Wout's niche will be the classics.

FlashUNC
07-15-2019, 12:20 PM
My question is whether we'll see him on a CX bike again...With MvdP tearing it up in CX and MTB, maybe Wout's niche will be the classics.

Extremely unlikely. You podium at Strade Bianche, top 10 at MSR and were the strongest rider at Roubaix despite some horrid luck, Jumbo Visma will more than make it up to him financially to keep him off the cross bike.

Unless he sees it as part of his prep for the road season. I'd be shocked if makes cross a priority at all going forward.

Mark McM
07-15-2019, 12:21 PM

Kid has a motor.

And it wasn't picked up in the bicycle technical checks?

(Just kidding :banana:)

Lewis Moon
07-15-2019, 12:28 PM
Extremely unlikely. You podium at Strade Bianche, top 10 at MSR and were the strongest rider at Roubaix despite some horrid luck, Jumbo Visma will more than make it up to him financially to keep him off the cross bike.

Unless he sees it as part of his prep for the road season. I'd be shocked if makes cross a priority at all going forward.

This gives me a sad....

jlwdm
07-17-2019, 07:48 AM
I am surprised not much was said about Stage 10 on Monday. This was the kind of stage that shows how important the TDF is. Echelons forming on a flat stage and some of the top gc riders taking decent time from other gc riders. Really hard riding to the finish.

Ineos as usual having their riders in position. EF saw what was coming but really executed poorly.

Jeff

oldpotatoe
07-17-2019, 08:14 AM
I am surprised not much was said about Stage 10 on Monday. This was the kind of stage that shows how important the TDF is. Echelons forming on a flat stage and some of the top gc riders taking decent time from other gc riders. Really hard riding to the finish.

Ineos as usual having their riders in position. EF saw what was coming but really executed poorly.

Jeff

As did Astana(Fuglsang)

nooneline
07-17-2019, 08:16 AM
I couldn't believe that George Bennet, 4th on the GC, was back getting bottles for Kruijswijk when the crosswinds hit. Every team had the same info...

Elefantino
07-17-2019, 09:00 AM
I couldn't believe that George Bennet, 4th on the GC, was back getting bottles for Kruijswijk when the crosswinds hit. Every team had the same info...

Talking about it all morning on Eurosport. Conclusion: boneheaded move. But they did get the stage win because WVA is a meteor.

Jaybee
07-17-2019, 09:03 AM
I'm shocked that it's ever George Bennett's job to go get bottles, let alone when they are about to turn into a crosswind.

nooneline
07-17-2019, 09:03 AM
Talking about it all morning on Eurosport. Conclusion: boneheaded move. But they did get the stage win because WVA is a meteor.

gotta love those ketone esthers.

meanwhile, after winning 3 ~sprint stages with 3 different riders, Jumbo Visma is... in talks with Marcel Kittel. :confused:

Elefantino
07-17-2019, 09:06 AM
gotta love those ketone esthers.

meanwhile, after winning 3 ~sprint stages with 3 different riders, Jumbo Visma is... in talks with Marcel Kittel. :confused:
That makes about as much sense as a screen-door boat hull.

retrofit
07-17-2019, 09:17 AM
The official media rehabilitation of Lance Armstrong begins.

BlueFly
07-17-2019, 09:25 AM

Yeah, not a fan. 'nough said. :fight:

charliedid
07-17-2019, 09:30 AM

Does anyone live and breath this stuff more than Lance?

If Alex Rodriguez can talk about baseball on TV I'm okay with Lance talking about bike racing on TV

Ruimteaapje
07-17-2019, 09:53 AM
That makes about as much sense as a screen-door boat hull.
This follows from an unsolicited application by Kittel who told a reporter that he would love to join Jumbo as a lead out for Groenewegen. Last night on Dutch television the Jumbo team manager replied to questions about the rumours about Dumoulin and Kittel: whereas it became clear from his evasive answers that there are serious talks with Dumoulin he was quite clear about Kittel: there are no talks with Kittel who should first get his act together.

FlashUNC
07-17-2019, 10:10 AM
Does anyone live and breath this stuff more than Lance?

If Alex Rodriguez can talk about baseball on TV I'm okay with Lance talking about bike racing on TV

The better comparison is Pete Rose. And he doesn't belong on TV talking about baseball either.

Jaybee
07-17-2019, 10:16 AM
I'm shocked that it's ever George Bennett's job to go get bottles, let alone when they are about to turn into a crosswind.

Answering my own question here, but this cyclingnews article (http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/george-bennett-frustrated-as-accumulation-of-errors-shoves-him-down-tour-de-france-standings/) notes that on sprint days, after you account for Dylan G, Wout, and the rest of the leadout train, then figure that Kruijswijk is never going back to the car unless he has to, and that you always want someone with him JIC, it kinda falls to one or two guys, one of whom is Bennett, to do more domestique stuff. Jumbo is just stacked.

BlueFly
07-17-2019, 10:16 AM
The better comparison is Pete Rose. And he doesn't belong on TV talking about baseball either.

:hello:

Elefantino
07-17-2019, 10:21 AM
Good question posed elsewhere: Has Phil ever apologized for saying witnesses against Lance were paid?

Rhetorical question.

FlashUNC
07-17-2019, 10:27 AM
Answering my own question here, but this cyclingnews article (http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/george-bennett-frustrated-as-accumulation-of-errors-shoves-him-down-tour-de-france-standings/) notes that on sprint days, after you account for Dylan G, Wout, and the rest of the leadout train, then figure that Kruijswijk is never going back to the car unless he has to, and that you always want someone with him JIC, it kinda falls to one or two guys, one of whom is Bennett, to do more domestique stuff. Jumbo is just stacked.

They'd be better served figuring out if they're going to hunt sprint stages or the GC I think, to avoid what happened with Bennett.

FlashUNC
07-17-2019, 10:28 AM
Good question posed elsewhere: Has Phil ever apologized for saying witnesses against Lance were paid?

Rhetorical question.

Deeper questions: Does Phil know what decade it is? Can he identify anyone in the pro peloton without confusing him for a rider and trade team from 1985?

Jaybee
07-17-2019, 10:47 AM
They'd be better served figuring out if they're going to hunt sprint stages or the GC I think, to avoid what happened with Bennett.

Agree. I'm guessing the decision will be made for them starting tomorrow. The cascade of mistakes yesterday cost them a big card to play in the high mountains.

cgolvin
07-17-2019, 10:49 AM

I agree, but he does belong in the HoF (and I hate Pete Rose).

weisan
07-17-2019, 10:52 AM
Perfection!

nalax
07-17-2019, 10:58 AM
Ewan won!

nooneline
07-17-2019, 11:04 AM
This follows from an unsolicited application by Kittel who told a reporter that he would love to join Jumbo as a lead out for Groenewegen. Last night on Dutch television the Jumbo team manager replied to questions about the rumours about Dumoulin and Kittel: whereas it became clear from his evasive answers that there are serious talks with Dumoulin he was quite clear about Kittel: there are no talks with Kittel who should first get his act together.

Ah, thanks. I think something often gets a little lost in translation when it hits english-language cycling media, which reported it as "Plugge admits interest in signing Kittel."

unterhausen
07-17-2019, 11:18 AM
Ewan won!

That was pretty impressive. Groenewegen got a nice gap when he started to sprint.

Ruimteaapje
07-17-2019, 11:52 AM
Teunissen said immediately after the race that he already feared it was not enough when he launched Groenewegen. They burned up the team too fast in the final kilometres resulting in him having to do a lead out that was too long and Groenewegen had to start his print too soon given the strong head wind.

simonov
07-17-2019, 12:13 PM

Agreed. And Lance's commentary is boring. It sounds more like he's bro'ing down with Bob Roll than adding valuable color.

redir
07-17-2019, 12:13 PM
That was a workin' mans sprint right there.

jlwdm
07-17-2019, 12:24 PM
For Bennett - it was a communication problem. Riders did not even need bottles.

Jeff

Mr. Pink
07-17-2019, 04:19 PM
I agree, but he does belong in the HoF (and I hate Pete Rose).
I'll bet he'll be there, but not in his lifetime. That's his punishment from the veteran committee.

Mr. Pink
07-17-2019, 04:22 PM
Agreed. And Lance's commentary is boring. It sounds more like he's bro'ing down with Bob Roll than adding valuable color.

I decided to check out his podcast, because he interviewed Bode Miller, and, yeah, he's just boring, and, of course, narcissistic. It was in the end, all about Lance. Bode wasn't very interesting, either.

Mr. Pink
07-17-2019, 04:26 PM
The Lexus virtual reality feature is pretty dumb. It's like foozball meets modern gaming, and it's pretty silly, in the end.

pdmtong
07-17-2019, 04:38 PM
Ewan won!
That was a workin' mans sprint right there.
see the rider ewan cut off (as he swung wide right to get behind DG) pound on his bars from about 50m all the way across the line...not happy

Jeff N.
07-17-2019, 06:55 PM
I was shocked to see LA doing long distance Q&A with PL. Is all forgiven now?

rustychisel
07-17-2019, 07:08 PM

Good sprint, but yes, a swerve at 75m from Ewen to get on the wheel. Good first win, fired up and needed the adrenalin.

I hope this thread stays on topic, but to answer: PL was always confessed LA fan and apologist, and professed to be 'shocked and let down' when the truth came out.

I didn't like it at the time, but he and Sherwen were big LA boosters (Sherwen was press officer for Motorola when LA was on board).

Mr. Pink
07-17-2019, 08:36 PM

Just saw a Specialized Turbo e bike commercial that was kinda witty, with Phil Ligget blowing by Alaphilippe on a hard climb doing non stop commentary and marveling at how flat the road suddenly became, riding their top e bike. I think they should take it one step further and have Phil egging Lance on in a mother commercial with comments like, hey, Lance, I don't care how much you doped, I've got this one!

mg2ride
07-17-2019, 09:53 PM
#❤️Lance Armstrong

Always have, hopefully always will

guyintense
07-17-2019, 10:51 PM
see the rider ewan cut off (as he swung wide right to get behind DG) pound on his bars from about 50m all the way across the line...not happy

I was wondering if anyone else saw that, it wasn't mentioned in the broadcast, maybe tomorrow. Not sure who the rider was but he was pissed. Watch the video again and you'll see there was pretty dramatic contact.

tony_mm
07-17-2019, 11:41 PM
I was wondering if anyone else saw that, it wasn't mentioned in the broadcast, maybe tomorrow. Not sure who the rider was but he was pissed. Watch the video again and you'll see there was pretty dramatic contact.I think it is Bonifazio (Team direct energie ). In his interview he complained about the phone that a spectator held in front of him.

ScottW
07-18-2019, 12:24 AM
Just saw a Specialized Turbo e bike commercial that was kinda witty, with Phil Ligget blowing by Alaphilippe on a hard climb doing non stop commentary and marveling at how flat the road suddenly became, riding their top e bike.

Basically plagiarizing what Matt Stephens (formerly of GCN) posted on youtube last month... video of him lazily cruising right on by Fabian Cancellara up a long climb in Switzerland aboard Pinarello's e-bike, whistling along, taking selfies with Michi Schär. LOL
So we've got Phil in the commercial, then NBC using the "ask Peter Sagan" segment to show zero race related content, just him riding the Spesh e-bike on the rest day. :rolleyes: The e-bike whoring is almost as annoying as their daily overuse of that Lexus telestrator thingy.

rustychisel
07-18-2019, 12:28 AM
I was wondering if anyone else saw that, it wasn't mentioned in the broadcast, maybe tomorrow. Not sure who the rider was but he was pissed. Watch the video again and you'll see there was pretty dramatic contact.

As we know, camera foreshortens distance, so this requires further examination... in any case, the commissars have taken no action.

The rider pounding on his handlebars appears to be baulked by the rider alongside him. He looks sharply to his immediate right when he is impeded (see the front on video).

guyintense
07-18-2019, 01:12 AM
As we know, camera foreshortens distance, so this requires further examination... in any case, the commissars have taken no action.

The rider pounding on his handlebars appears to be baulked by the rider alongside him. He looks sharply to his immediate right when he is impeded (see the front on video).

Check the over head view, it's clear there was contact.

54ny77
07-18-2019, 01:59 AM
love this quote:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cycling/2019/07/15/geraint-thomas-has-coequipiers-thank-stage-10-turns-epic-battle/

"Having so many GC riders - specifically Pinot - right up there in the overall classification was not only exciting for the race, adding to the local interest and excitement, it arguably worked for Ineos, too. There has been noticeably less talk of Ineos' strength and dominance this year. That could be set to change.

Not that Brailsford will mind. Asked whether any tiny part of him felt it was a shame that Pinot in particular had lost so much time, Brailsford just laughed. “Not one iota,” he answered. “That gene does not exist in my body. I live and breathe and think all day about sticking a knife in - and when you get a chance, twisting it. That's just the nature of the sport we're in. We race to win."

What a stupid question from the reporter. While on earth should the leader of the opposing team feel there is a "shame" when a top contender screws the pooch? What did the reporter want to hear, that Brailsford wanted to give hugs to Pinot? Unbelievable.

rustychisel
07-18-2019, 02:00 AM
Check the over head view, it's clear there was contact.

Fair enough. I saw the live coverage late last night (Australian time) so it was about 1.45am. Details are hazy.

charliedid
07-18-2019, 05:52 AM
Basically plagiarizing what Matt Stephens (formerly of GCN) posted on youtube last month... video of him lazily cruising right on by Fabian Cancellara up a long climb in Switzerland aboard Pinarello's e-bike, whistling along, taking selfies with Michi Schär. LOL
So we've got Phil in the commercial, then NBC using the "ask Peter Sagan" segment to show zero race related content, just him riding the Spesh e-bike on the rest day. :rolleyes: The e-bike whoring is almost as annoying as their daily overuse of that Lexus telestrator thingy.

Come on!

Have a laugh :hello:

FlashUNC
07-18-2019, 07:47 AM
love this quote:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cycling/2019/07/15/geraint-thomas-has-coequipiers-thank-stage-10-turns-epic-battle/

"Having so many GC riders - specifically Pinot - right up there in the overall classification was not only exciting for the race, adding to the local interest and excitement, it arguably worked for Ineos, too. There has been noticeably less talk of Ineos' strength and dominance this year. That could be set to change.

Not that Brailsford will mind. Asked whether any tiny part of him felt it was a shame that Pinot in particular had lost so much time, Brailsford just laughed. “Not one iota,” he answered. “That gene does not exist in my body. I live and breathe and think all day about sticking a knife in - and when you get a chance, twisting it. That's just the nature of the sport we're in. We race to win."

What a stupid question from the reporter. While on earth should the leader of the opposing team feel there is a "shame" when a top contender screws the pooch? What did the reporter want to hear, that Brailsford wanted to give hugs to Pinot? Unbelievable.

No, he didn't, but you ask the question to elicit a response and try to get an interesting one. And he got a helluva quote. Mission accomplished.

saab2000
07-18-2019, 07:57 AM
No, he didn't, but you ask the question to elicit a response and try to get an interesting one. And he got a helluva quote. Mission accomplished.

Yes, but it’s still a really dumb question.

Can anyone imagine asking Tom Brady or Bill Belichick if they feel bad about winning another Super Bowl or humiliating a defender on a great pass play? Athletes are in it to win it and if you have a chance to steal a minute you’d be a fool not to do so.

When opportunity knocks you must answer.

A better question would be to ask those who were left behind how they got caught with their pants down.

jlwdm
07-18-2019, 08:11 AM
Probably not a lot of action on today's mountain stage with an ITT tomorrow and two bigger mountain stages this weekend.

Hopefully a GC contender will try to make a move on the last climb, but it will be difficult to gain time with a downhill finish after the last climb.

Jeff

FlashUNC
07-18-2019, 08:30 AM
Yes, but it’s still a really dumb question.

Can anyone imagine asking Tom Brady or Bill Belichick if they feel bad about winning another Super Bowl or humiliating a defender on a great pass play? Athletes are in it to win it and if you have a chance to steal a minute you’d be a fool not to do so.

When opportunity knocks you must answer.

A better question would be to ask those who were left behind how they got caught with their pants down.

Then you don't get the quote that he got. Part of the journalists job is playing Columbo sometimes and asking what sounds like the stupid question to get the right output. It plays on the emotions of the interviewee for the same reasons it gets under your skin as a dumb question, gets Brailsfords notrious guard down for a second, and you get a real response.

I'll not argue there's a lot of lazy and bad questions in sportsball journalism, but this looks like a dumb question used rather smartly to get a great quote.

And on second read it really is an amazing quote that tells you more about Brailsford in three sentences that a lot of full blown profiles have failed to capture.

GregL
07-18-2019, 08:37 AM
Part of the journalists job is playing Columbo sometimes and asking what sounds like the stupid question to get the right output. It plays on the emotions of the interviewee for the same reasons it gets under your skin as a dumb question, gets Brailsfords notrious guard down for a second, and you get a real response.
A very interesting observation! My last stint on jury duty had me making the same observation of the opposing attorneys. The attorney for the plaintiff won the case by getting under the skin of an expert witness for the defense. His "stupid" questions irritated the expert witness so much that he drifted off script and inadvertently supported the plaintiff. It was fascinating to watch!

Greg

Ruimteaapje
07-18-2019, 08:43 AM
Abandon Rohan Dennis (one day before the ITT)

saab2000
07-18-2019, 08:45 AM
Then you don't get the quote that he got. Part of the journalists job is playing Columbo sometimes and asking what sounds like the stupid question to get the right output. It plays on the emotions of the interviewee for the same reasons it gets under your skin as a dumb question, gets Brailsfords notrious guard down for a second, and you get a real response.

I'll not argue there's a lot of lazy and bad questions in sportsball journalism, but this looks like a dumb question used rather smartly to get a great quote.

And on second read it really is an amazing quote that tells you more about Brailsford in three sentences that a lot of full blown profiles have failed to capture.

This is a very astute observation and parallels the great fictional character Sherlock Holmes. He often would engage people in a totally unsuspecting manner about unrelated subjects, often learning more about his objective than had he asked directly. In other words, set a trap of sorts and watch the folks walk right into it.

Jaybee
07-18-2019, 08:46 AM
Abandon Rohan Dennis (one day before the ITT)

I can't watch today, but the cyclingnews live feed makes it seem like Dennis' whereabouts are currently unknown. Like he just left.

Strange, beyond the fact that he would have been the favorite for a stage win tomorrow.

nooneline
07-18-2019, 09:15 AM
I can't watch today, but the cyclingnews live feed makes it seem like Dennis' whereabouts are currently unknown. Like he just left.

Strange, beyond the fact that he would have been the favorite for a stage win tomorrow.

apparently he's on the bus, not talking to anybody, and there are rumors - rumors - that he had a mental mechanical

FlashUNC
07-18-2019, 09:18 AM
This is a very astute observation and parallels the great fictional character Sherlock Holmes. He often would engage people in a totally unsuspecting manner about unrelated subjects, often learning more about his objective than had he asked directly. In other words, set a trap of sorts and watch the folks walk right into it.

A very interesting observation! My last stint on jury duty had me making the same observation of the opposing attorneys. The attorney for the plaintiff won the case by getting under the skin of an expert witness for the defense. His "stupid" questions irritated the expert witness so much that he drifted off script and inadvertently supported the plaintiff. It was fascinating to watch!

Greg

Same principle on both fronts. In my former life as a reporter, it's a clear line of strategy to try to get a source to open up. Now, it's poking the bear so to speak, so it doesn't work for every interviewee, but irritation and off-kilter questions are a great way to get responses. I interviewed a newly Michelin-starred chef once and for just two questions in the interview I used the word "cook" instead of "chef" to describe him and the work he does. The first one he let sail by but you could see it rankled him a bit. The second he ignored the question entirely and corrected me with something to the effect of "Cooks just take orders in a kitchen. What I do is make art."

Boom, lead quote for the story.

In 1:1 settings, I was always a big fan of the awkward silence. Act like I'm writing in my notebook when I'm really just doodling, and people will just babble on and on and on because they don't want to have an awkward silence. People say all sorts of things they shouldn't that way. And to crib Holmes, never talk to a reporter in your office. Dear God...the color I got from those visits.

Also, executive assistants are your best friends and sources. They know where all the proverbial bodies are buried.

El Chaba
07-18-2019, 09:25 AM
I just want to mention that I really dislike mountain stages without a summit finish....

Jaybee
07-18-2019, 09:30 AM
I just want to mention that I really dislike mountain stages without a summit finish....

I agree with you, but one of my favorite things in grand tour cycling is the daring attack on the descent by someone who is a superlative bike handler - your Nibalis and Salvodellis and Cancellaras... Even the Froome/Sagan attack from a few years back qualifies.

Looks like its not gonna happen today.

GregL
07-18-2019, 09:50 AM
apparently he's on the bus, not talking to anybody, and there are rumors - rumors - that he had a mental mechanical
At least one news source (https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tour-de-france/rohan-dennis-tour-de-france-2019-team-bahrain-merida-investigation-a9010826.html) suggested that Dennis was arguing with someone in his team car before he abandoned. He was later seen walking with his agent toward today's finish line. One possible scenario is that he was angry because he wanted an easy ride today ahead of tomorrow's TT, while his team wanted him to attack early and get in the day's break. It will make for an interesting sideshow to today's stage.

Greg

redir
07-18-2019, 10:18 AM
Yates made the right move in jumping to the front to lead out through that final corner.

Jaybee
07-18-2019, 10:24 AM
Get your bets in early... who's in yellow after tomorrow's ITT? Who wins the stage now that Dennis is out?

Is 1:12 too much for Thomas to take off Alaphillipe over 27K? Do Ineos want to protect the jersey this early with so many summit finishes in the final week?

Jaybee
07-18-2019, 10:25 AM
Yates made the right move in jumping to the front to lead out through that final corner.

No substitute for knowing the course. He knew where to jump, and that whoever was through the last corner first was probably the winner. Nice work.

Bruce K
07-18-2019, 11:19 AM
Dennis’ team is “investigating” and will not comment.

Hmmm...

BK

jlwdm
07-18-2019, 11:57 AM
Get your bets in early... who's in yellow after tomorrow's ITT? Who wins the stage now that Dennis is out?

Is 1:12 too much for Thomas to take off Alaphillipe over 27K? Do Ineos want to protect the jersey this early with so many summit finishes in the final week?

Ineos will probably be controlling the main peloton on the mountain stages Saturday and Sunday no matter who is in yellow. Monday is a rest day. Tuesday and Wednesday Ineos will just be worrying about the GC contenders. They won't worry about some pretender being out in a long break and taking yellow as Thursday, Friday and Saturday are mountain stages.

Ineos likes to be at the front of the group with the main contenders but they don't care about having yellow every day. They ride superbly as a team focusing on one goal - winning the TDF.

Jeff

Clean39T
07-18-2019, 12:30 PM
Rohan Dennis be like:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/af7Jctuqhcg/maxresdefault.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTOKJTRHMdw

** NSFW: F-bombs **

redir
07-18-2019, 02:40 PM

Hmmmm, I think it makes it rather interesting. To each their own though.

Now tomorrow? I probably won't even bother watching it. The highlights will be good enough for me.

jlwdm
07-18-2019, 03:42 PM
Hmmmm, I think it makes it rather interesting. To each their own though.

Not too interesting today. GC riders just stayed together. Someone probably would have attempted a move if it finished at the top of the last climb. Although less likely to see a huge effort the day before the ITT.

Jeff

Jaybee
07-18-2019, 03:49 PM
Ineos will probably be controlling the main peloton on the mountain stages Saturday and Sunday no matter who is in yellow. Monday is a rest day. Tuesday and Wednesday Ineos will just be worrying about the GC contenders. They won't worry about some pretender being out in a long break and taking yellow as Thursday, Friday and Saturday are mountain stages.

Ineos likes to be at the front of the group with the main contenders but they don't care about having yellow every day. They ride superbly as a team focusing on one goal - winning the TDF.

Jeff

This is kinda how I figure it's going to work. Ineos has a list of 4 or 5 competitors that get marked, and the rest don't matter. If JA is in yellow on Saturday, I wonder if DQS will spend energy to protect if the break gets far enough out.

fignon's barber
07-18-2019, 06:55 PM
At least one news source (https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tour-de-france/rohan-dennis-tour-de-france-2019-team-bahrain-merida-investigation-a9010826.html) suggested that Dennis was arguing with someone in his team car before he abandoned. He was later seen walking with his agent toward today's finish line. One possible scenario is that he was angry because he wanted an easy ride today ahead of tomorrow's TT, while his team wanted him to attack early and get in the day's break. It will make for an interesting sideshow to today's stage.

Greg

I read elsewhere that he had issues with team equipment (meridia tt bikes) and gave an ultimatum that he wanted to ride his tt bike. Have no idea if it's true, but interesting.

Bruce K
07-19-2019, 09:22 AM
BIG CRASH for Wout Van Aert !!!?

Not looking good - down for a long time with Medical Team working on him.

Update: reported he has a “flesh wound” in his upper right leg.

BK

Bruce K
07-19-2019, 09:28 AM
And Sagan wheelies his TT bike across the finish line!!

BK

Jaybee
07-19-2019, 09:30 AM

Update: reported he has a “flesh wound” in his upper right leg.

BK

That looked really really bad.

Hoping for the best here.

oldpotatoe
07-19-2019, 09:57 AM

BK

Big gash on his RH leg plus way weird leg bend as he crashed..think his TdF is over..too bad..

Bruce K
07-19-2019, 10:02 AM
The team already announced his withdrawal.

The “split” he did when he crashed looked really awkward and painful.

I can’t imagine what would have cut him as I don't think his bike has disc brakes and the bike went down on the drive side with his leg on the non-drive side when he landed.

BK

bward1028
07-19-2019, 10:16 AM
he got cut on something on the barrier.

saw similar thing happen in Mission Crit a year ago. they had to hose the blood off the sidewalk

Jaybee
07-19-2019, 10:57 AM

My crush is growing into full on infatuation. Who knew he could TT like that?

yinzerniner
07-19-2019, 10:58 AM
he got cut on something on the barrier.

saw similar thing happen in Mission Crit a year ago. they had to hose the blood off the sidewalk
Looking at the pics of how the barriers were set up seems like incompetence at best and at worst gross negligence. Having barriers at a corner with the "U-shaped" connectors poking out, towards the riders when that's the exact point where their vision and bike handling are most compromised?
Pic taken from CyclingTips
https://cdn-cyclingtips.pressidium.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/IMG_2440.jpg

This looks to be in the same vein (though not nearly as tragic) as the totally inept design at the finish of the Vancouver Olympic Luge track.

Mzilliox
alaphillippe is amazing. what a ride

galgal
UNBELIEVABLE! Alaphilippe!

Clean39T
07-19-2019, 10:59 AM

Right there with you :hello:

echappist
07-19-2019, 11:08 AM
won't you believe it, all hail alaphilippe the puncheur, alaphiippe the grimpeur, and apparently, alaphilippe the contre la montre coureur :rolleyes:

bward1028
07-19-2019, 11:10 AM
https://cdn-cyclingtips.pressidium.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/IMG_2440.jpg

reminds me of
https://i.imgur.com/h1oQrdC.jpg

charliedid
07-19-2019, 11:15 AM
Horrible for Wout.

I had this feeling yesterday that someone important would crash out this AM in the TT. Sort of glad I wasn't able to watch it now.

Terrible

Elefantino
07-19-2019, 11:16 AM
Alaphilippe can't win the GC.

I hope Alaphilippe wins the GC.

But he can't.

Ruimteaapje
07-19-2019, 11:16 AM
Doctor Ibarguren Taus?

Drmojo
07-19-2019, 11:21 AM
TT winners who can climb.
he spanked the Welsh guy HARD
Hinault is in his camp
Viva la France!!!!

dbnm
07-19-2019, 11:25 AM
So what happened to Rohan Dennis?

Ruimteaapje
07-19-2019, 11:34 AM
After she saw Alaphilippe skid across the finish line and jump off his bike like like that, my mother said in a whatapp: "somebody tell him not to snort that new powder" (she read about powdered aicar in the media). :D

Elefantino
07-19-2019, 11:43 AM
So what happened to Rohan Dennis?

He flipped out.

To what extent and over what (apparently there is some question about whether or not he liked his TT bike or even his TT suit) remains unknown.

He is not long for Bahrain-Merida.

Clean39T
07-19-2019, 11:49 AM
After she saw Alaphilippe skid across the finish line and jump off his bike like like that, my mother said in a whatapp: "somebody tell him not to snort that new powder" (she read about powdered aicar in the media). :D

That skid was epic :banana:

tony_mm
07-19-2019, 11:56 AM
Crazy from Alaphilippe!
Either he is going to win the TdF or he will have a major collapse in the next days I the mountains.

72gmc
07-19-2019, 11:58 AM
Doctor Ibarguren Taus?

Last seen cheering Boonen during his winning 55k time trial at Roubaix ...

ntb1001
Wow...what a win!!

I’m hoping JA can win the whole thing now.

echappist
Doctor Ibarguren Taus?

I heard he’s a sh**e doctor; almost killed a cobra under his care

tony_mm
07-19-2019, 12:05 PM
Good also to see riders like Alaphippe, WvA etc....and not the boring Froome or Thomas riding with their powermeters.

jlwdm
07-19-2019, 12:06 PM
Crazy from Alaphilippe!
Either he is going to win the TdF or he will have a major collapse in the next days I the mountains.

Well he is not going to win. Five mountain stages left.

Jeff

Drmojo
07-19-2019, 12:19 PM
All JA needs to do is sit on the Welsh wheel
Bernal is done

jlwdm
07-19-2019, 12:25 PM
All JA needs to do is sit on the Welsh wheel
Bernal is done

That is why I watch ad free with other announcers.

Jeff

82Picchio
07-19-2019, 12:27 PM
I hope it's not the case of Alaphilippe the dopeur...

won't you believe it, all hail alaphilippe the puncheur, alaphiippe the grimpeur, and apparently, alaphilippe the contre la montre coureur :rolleyes:

tony_mm
07-19-2019, 12:28 PM
Ineos will definitely push hard very very hard tomorrow and Sunday...

And my guess is that the powermeter strategy of Ineos and Thomas will succeed [emoji30][emoji30]

Big Dan
07-19-2019, 12:45 PM
Ineos , QS and Jumbo seem to have the "good stuff" this time around.

:p

jlwdm
07-19-2019, 01:22 PM
Ineos , QS and Jumbo seem to have the "good stuff" this time around.

:p

But they have quality teams built for specific purposes. You don’t see India riders waisting energy chasing stage wins.

Jeff

Big Dan
07-19-2019, 01:36 PM
But they have quality teams built for specific purposes. You don’t see India riders waisting energy chasing stage wins.

Jeff

You think that's the only formula to win the TDF?

denapista
07-19-2019, 02:14 PM
Bernal going down in 5th is only going to make it harder for everyone else. You have one of the strongest climbers on the team expected to win, with nothing to lose but only gain at this point... Ineos is going to set a stupid tempo and possibly launch Bernal, which will have to be marked because he can climb back into contention. Other teams now have to mark both of them..

JA is going to get popped in the big mountains, unless Ineos isn't as strong as their sky past days.. If JA stays with the Ineos train and stupid pace that's going to be set, then I say THAT'S A FAILED DRUG TEST!

axel23
07-19-2019, 02:20 PM
I hope it's not the case of Alaphilippe the dopeur...

Everyone else arrives at the finish line completely shattered. JA jumps off his bike and starts celebrating. I want to believe, I really do.

Jaybee
07-19-2019, 02:22 PM
I agree that the question is when, not if, JA gets popped off the Ineos train in the big mountains.

Tomorrow is 12km @ 7.8% followed by 19km @ 7.4%.

nooneline
07-19-2019, 02:22 PM
Everyone else arrives at the finish line completely shattered. JA jumps off his bike and starts celebrating. I want to believe, I really do.

i've done this.

there's something about winning that turns feeling shattered into feeling like confetti and glitter.

m4rk540
07-19-2019, 02:24 PM

I've been following JA since the early stages of the 2018 TDF when he was racing under the name Geraint Thomas.

jlwdm
07-19-2019, 02:27 PM
You think that's the only formula to win the TDF?

Maybe not but definitely the best way. Everyone working for one goal. Not easy to be a support rider though.

Jeff

Jaybee
07-19-2019, 02:32 PM
i've done this.

there's something about winning that turns feeling shattered into feeling like confetti and glitter.

Word. Joy is a hell of a drug.

denapista
07-19-2019, 02:37 PM
If you think a sport that was based on drug usage is 100% clean, you're naive to the ills of the world. They're still doping, but who cares.. JA survived the hardest day which was the gravel day and it looks like the peloton mailed it in until the ITT after that stage. I think everyone is waiting for the upcoming looming hills ahead.

I just want to see attacking and some good racing. When Contador was racing on the best stuff (tainted steak meat), at least he lit up the race.

nalax
07-19-2019, 02:38 PM
Sky/Ineos puts me to sleep. I just hope WVA is ok.

jlwdm
07-19-2019, 03:03 PM
Sky/ing puts me to sleep. I just hope WVA is ok.

You just have to appreciate every little thing they do. In position for echelons. Not chasing breaks. Not going for stage wins. Not trying to win green jersey or mountain points. Slowly bringing back GC breaks instead of chasing too hard. No desire to have yellow. Riders who work hard on climbs, get dropped and fight back on descents to do it again.

The only true GC team in the tour.

Jeff

Matthew
07-19-2019, 03:11 PM
I loved JA's skid at the end. Like a kid ripping down his driveway.

BdaGhisallo
07-19-2019, 03:34 PM
You just have to appreciate every little thing they do. In position for echelons. Not chasing breaks. Not going for stage wins. Not trying to win green jersey or mountain points. Slowly bringing back GC breaks instead of chasing too hard. No desire to have yellow. Riders who work hard on climbs, get dropped and fight back on descents to do it again.

Jeff

Very well put.

nalax
07-19-2019, 03:50 PM
Jeff,
You're right but at age 70 I'm enjoying the sprint finishes and breakaways and the excitement the cx'ers are bringing to the road this year. Wheelies and skids, YES.

Jeff