PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Computer range for Rear wheel sensor

cmbicycles
07-05-2019, 09:52 PM
I ride an XL Cannondale mtn bike with a lefty fork, and have been using a Garmin 25 for tracking mileage but it doesn't always work in the woods and I forget to charge it half the time so looking to get away from GPS and go back to a regular computer.

I have tried 2 wireless computers with rear wheel sensor and they would only work if I mounted the computer on the top tube as the distance to the handlebars was too long... not ideal.

Anyone know of a wireless computer with better working distance for reception?

cmbicycles
07-07-2019, 09:35 PM
Anyone use a regular computer anymore, or has everyone gone to GPS?

kppolich
07-07-2019, 09:39 PM
get a new garmin ant+/bluetooth wheel speed sensor? Not sure if the 25 supports both, but it's worth a look.
Or.. gasp - a wired sensor for a regular non-gps compter.

Dave
07-08-2019, 07:56 AM
I use a cheap cateye strada with rear speed and cadence plus HRM. Never had a problem, but I ride a small road bike. I took the computer off and held it about a foot in front and a foot above the bars and it still worked.

Mike Bryant
07-08-2019, 08:21 AM
Wahoo Bolt with rear wheel hub speed sensor. Size 58 (large) frames. Even use Wahoo sensors (speed and cadence) on one bike and Garmin sensors on another. No problems with either brand working with the Bolt, except of course when the batteries start to die.
Put it on the rear wheel because I didn’t like watching the sensor go round and round on the front. I’ll let it distract the rider behind me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cmbicycles
07-08-2019, 08:24 AM
One that I tried was a cateye strada, the other a Blackburn atom. I considered the garmin sensor, but don't really want to have to keep the garmin. Wired... do they still make wired computers? Are they compatible with modern cycling? ;) I thought about that as well, but, as its a mtn bike, the wire getting snagged would be my main concern... that and it's - a - wire... oh the humanity. If there is a rear wheel wired computer that doesn't also do cadence that might work. It's an 04' bike so wired is period appropriate. [emoji14]

Bradford
07-08-2019, 08:32 AM
I use Cateye Digital Wireless units on four bikes and they work flawlessly, both miles and cadence. I moved to the digital when I needed something that didn't suffer interference from headlights during my commutes, and switched the other three when I started running day time lights.

Which Strada did you try? Have two Cateye Double wireless units sitting in my parts bin that I only took off because of the interference. If you don't use a daytime headlight, I'm happy to send one to you to see if it solves your problem. They are great computers and I had these on for years without any issues.

cmbicycles
07-08-2019, 09:13 AM
I use Cateye Digital Wireless units on four bikes and they work flawlessly, both miles and cadence. I moved to the digital when I needed something that didn't suffer interference from headlights during my commutes, and switched the other three when I started running day time lights.

Which Strada did you try? Have two Cateye Double wireless units sitting in my parts bin that I only took off because of the interference. If you don't use a daytime headlight, I'm happy to send one to you to see if it solves your problem. They are great computers and I had these on for years without any issues.Mine was also the double wireless. That's kind of funny as I had the blackburn stop working on a road bike the other day when I used one particular flash mode on the front light. I was scratching my head while out on the ride until I figured out it was interference from the light. Maybe I'll have to look into the digital version... do they still use a regular battery or are they rechargeable?

Mark McM
07-08-2019, 10:30 AM
Anyone use a regular computer anymore, or has everyone gone to GPS?

I've been using Sigma wireless computers for a few years with great satisfaction. While I've been mounting the speed sensor on the fork, the cadence sensor is mounted on the non-driveside chainstay, and has been quite reliable. I ride a 54cm with the computer mounted on the stem, and reception range for the cadence sensor has never been a problem. I took a look at the sensors, and one issue you may have is that the chainstays are often much further from the rear wheel spokes than the fork blades are from the front wheel spokes. The sensor might not have the range to detect a spoke magnet, unless the magnet stuck out from the spokes.

In general, front wheel speed sensors are preferred, and rear wheel speed sensors are typically reserved for speed+cadence sensors. But most wheel+cadence sensors use either ANT+ or BLE (or both), and these radio technologies are most often found in GPS computers. I faced a related problem when I went looking for a non-GPS computer that could be used with a power meter. I found that there were a few non-GPS computers that use BLE or ANT+, but these computers are often lacking in other features. So my only serious option for using a powermeter was to use a GPS computer. You may find a similar thing when searching for a wireless rear wheel sensor.

Mark McM
07-08-2019, 10:41 AM
One that I tried was a cateye strada, the other a Blackburn atom. I considered the garmin sensor, but don't really want to have to keep the garmin. Wired... do they still make wired computers? Are they compatible with modern cycling? ;) I thought about that as well, but, as its a mtn bike, the wire getting snagged would be my main concern... that and it's - a - wire... oh the humanity. If there is a rear wheel wired computer that doesn't also do cadence that might work. It's an 04' bike so wired is period appropriate. [emoji14]

There were wired rear wheel sensor computers in the past. In fact, I have a few extra ones that I'm not using - these Avocet C40 computers might actually be period correct. The Avocet C40 features: Current Speed, Average Speed, Maximum Speed; Cadence; Trip Distance, Odometer; Time of day, ride time, stop watch; Pace arrows (show when you are above or below average ride speed). The Avocet C40 is one of the few computers that shows average speed to a resolution of 0.01 mph. I might even have an old Avocet C50 banging around, which has all the features of the C40, plus a barometric altimeter (measures current altitude and altitude gained). One possible concern is that Avocet computers used a magnet ring that is mounted to side of the hub flange, and a sensor located near the dropout. If your bike has a rear wheel disc brake, it might be compatible. PM if interested.

Bradford
07-08-2019, 11:15 AM
do they still use a regular battery or are they rechargeable?

Exactly the same as the Double Wireless but no interference. You also get heart rate with the digital if that is your cup of chowder.

By the way, when I was commuting to Denver a few years ago, I figured out the interference thing. Then, a couple year's of client projects where I couldn't commute, I forgot all about it and it took me a bit of time last year to figure it out all over again.