PDA

View Full Version : OT: Any BBC Radio Devotees?

YesNdeed
07-04-2019, 08:51 PM
I've been streaming and downloading shows on the BBC for about 15 years, and BBC 6 Music has been my go-to for maybe 7. Or at least since Gilles Peterson Jumped ship from Radio 1. I occasionally go over to Radio 3 for Late Junction. The BBC iPlayer app is like an ongoing museum for the ears to me. Between that and Spotify, that's pretty much how I listen to music. I listen to news mostly on local radio, but the app is great for world news.

Here's one (https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0006f25) for Tour vibes, not OT.

kramnnim
07-04-2019, 10:17 PM
I listened to Chris Moyles when he was still on R1...still listen to Scott Mills' podcast.

Idris Icabod
07-04-2019, 10:35 PM
When I lived in Manchester, Mark and Lard had the 10 to midnight slot on R1. I lived about 5 minutes from where they broadcast and threw snowballs at the studio one time and Lard came out and threw some back.

YesNdeed
07-04-2019, 10:42 PM
When I lived in Manchester, Mark and Lard had the 10 to midnight slot on R1. I lived about 5 minutes from where they broadcast and threw snowballs at the studio one time and Lard came out and threw some back.

Lol, brilliant!

oliver1850
07-04-2019, 10:55 PM
I probably haven't heard a live BBC broadcast in at least 40 years - about the time my Heathkit short wave tuner died. Links?

YesNdeed
07-05-2019, 12:20 AM
I probably haven't heard a live BBC broadcast in at least 40 years - about the time my Heathkit short wave tuner died. Links?

What was the last show you heard? YouTube search Maida Vale for some great performances. Of course, The Cure (https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0006t9s). Last weekend.

uno-speedo
07-05-2019, 02:33 PM
I really enjoy Radio 6 and have discovered many a great band/artist. However, I really dislike the way the DJ Lauren Laverne talks over the ending of every song. She does it in a way that makes me think she thinks it's cool to do. To me, it should always be about the music. I couldn't care less what she has to say.

bigbill
07-05-2019, 03:14 PM
I have BBC World Report on my satellite radio. I listen to it on the way to work.

berserk87
07-05-2019, 03:16 PM
I listened to the BBC, covertly, when I was in the French resistance.

Louis
07-05-2019, 04:21 PM
I listened to the BBC, covertly, when I was in the French resistance.

Les sanglots longs
Des violons
De l’automne
Blessent mon coeur
D’une langueur
Monotone.

berserk87
07-06-2019, 08:41 PM
Les sanglots longs
Des violons
De l’automne
Blessent mon coeur
D’une langueur
Monotone.

Nice reference! Another history buff, I see.

YesNdeed
07-07-2019, 10:39 AM
I really enjoy Radio 6 and have discovered many a great band/artist. However, I really dislike the way the DJ Lauren Laverne talks over the ending of every song. She does it in a way that makes me think she thinks it's cool to do. To me, it should always be about the music. I couldn't care less what she has to say.

Stuart Maconie's Freak Zone and featured guest play list weekend shows are probably my current favorite. Tom Ravenscroft is enjoying rock star status and has become hard to keep up with since he sits in for so many shows, in addition to his weekly 4 hours of airtime between his two shows. He, of course, is the son of the great John Peel. If I listen to Lauren Laverne, it's usually her Recommends show, but excessive and intrusive commentary bothers me too.

Louis
07-07-2019, 04:04 PM
Nice reference! Another history buff, I see.

I figured you'd recognize it. Plus, it was almost the exact anniversary of the events in question.