PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Clement Info...

musgravecycles
12-11-2006, 08:39 PM
Interesting day...

Short version...a guy came in the shop today. We got to talking and he told me that he had several old rims kickin' around as tire stretchers. He doesn't ride much anymore and asked if I wanted them. I went to pick them up and there was a Fiamme Red, and a couple of Super Champion Arc-EN-Ciel's, no biggy...

On the SC's there were a couple of old tires which he said I could have. I was in a hurry and didn't look at them but once I got back to the shop realized that they were Clements. They don't appear to have ever been used. The casings are in decent shape considering their vintage.

These are before my time and was wondering if I could get some help identifying them. I've searched for info but came up empty-handed...

They are labeled "Clement 50 Latex."

Thanks

atmo
12-11-2006, 08:41 PM
training tires atmo.

musgravecycles
12-11-2006, 08:51 PM
Figures :rolleyes:

At least I got several more much needed stretchers...

Steve Hampsten
12-11-2006, 09:57 PM
Back when my baby bro got his first big pro win he put some of the proceeds into a stash of sew-ups - I fergit which brand. What he didn't bother remembering is that pros get tires for free, right? So anyhoo, a coupla years ago he pulls out his stash of 15-year old tubbies - and guess what? Each one lasted about ten miles. I have never seen so many flats on one ride.

He took it in stride but it was a looong week. I think he ended up using my 9speed cassette with 10speed shifting - not happy.

musgravecycles
12-11-2006, 10:17 PM
good story...

I had no intentions of riding these after looking at the basetape separation...

jemoryl
12-12-2006, 09:37 AM
.....They are labeled "Clement 50 Latex"......

Not the Clements you are hoping for. In the '70s I seem to remember these as being at about the same level as the dreaded Hutchison Super Sprints. Can't remember the exact models, but our cheap tubulars of choice were the green labeled Michelins or the red labeled Wolbers (which appeared to be identical tires).