PDA

View Full Version : Sore hamstrings after hiking then biking...rest or ride?

VTCaraco
07-02-2019, 02:53 PM
Spent last week up in Acadia with my wife, pup and son (for the last half of the week). Hiked each morning and typically either jumped in the kayak or on the bike each afternoon.

Did a fairly brisk ascent of Parkman and Bald Peak Friday morning. This involved lots of wet granite with some BIG steps/scrambling up the particular steep sections.
Kayaked around Bass Harbor for almost 2 hours after lunch and wrapped up the day with a 12 mile pedal (from the house we were renting) to the summit of Cadillac Mountain while the rest of the family went into Bar Harbor.

Rolling road with poor asphalt to the Park Loop road and the 3 or so miles of steady climb up Cadillac. Probably the warmest day we were there in the mid-80s and never felt like I was in any sort of distress. Just sort of pushed back in the saddle and enjoyed the grind. Got to the top, where I was supposed to rendezvous with my family and as soon as I hopped off the bike I thought, wow, my hamstrings/groin are TIGHT. Stretched a bit and walked around the summit for 5 minutes or so before my family got there and elected to throw the bike on the rack rather than pedal down.
Grew fairly stiff in the car but realized I was UNCOMFORTABLY stiff when I got out of the car. Stretched as much as I could and made gains, but pushing off of each leg (left leg, in particular) was challenging.
Over the last 3 days, I've clearly made progress, but still uncomfortable going up stairs and, in particular, pushing my legs through a full squat range of motion.

I DID insist on hiking Saturday and Sunday and made progress the more I was out. But I haven't pedaled since Friday.

Broadly speaking, my hamstrings are tight and in need of regular stretching.

At this point I'm a little apprehensive to jump on the bike. I'm not sure whether I'd be uncomfortable, uncomfortable only when climbing, and/or if riding would extend the length of time before I feel 100%

My hunch is that the hiking had me primed and that I pushed the hamstring/groin a bit more than ideal on the climb. But my thinking is that the combination is what contributed.

Any advice would be appreciated....I'd love to get on the bike this evening:beer:

Bentley
07-02-2019, 02:57 PM
Stretch, get on the bike and spin. I think it’s lactic acid build up and you need to work through it. That said, SPIN, high cadence work. I think your sore, not hurt.

echappist
07-02-2019, 03:51 PM
Stretch, get on the bike and spin. I think it’s lactic acid build up and you need to work through it. That said, SPIN, high cadence work. I think your sore, not hurt.

that's a misconception

lactic acid doesn't build up; it begins to be cleared via the Cori cycle as soon as exertion drops beneath a certain level

what the OP has been experiencing is most likely DOMS and muscle soreness. Take a few days off, and one should be good to go. The stiffness cannot be made to go away via stretching, the same way DOMS cannot be made to go away via stretching. What is actually are micro tears in the muscle (along with slight bit of inflammation). Give it time, and it'll heal.

redir
07-02-2019, 04:00 PM
I've always found that doing the same thing that caused the soreness helps work it out. So if I am soar from running then I will go run again, but at a much lower recovery rate, to work it out.

charliedid
07-02-2019, 04:07 PM
Take a nap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ken Robb
07-02-2019, 04:21 PM
would massage help?

Bentley
07-02-2019, 04:39 PM
that's a misconception

lactic acid doesn't build up; it begins to be cleared via the Cori cycle as soon as exertion drops beneath a certain level

what the OP has been experiencing is most likely DOMS and muscle soreness. Take a few days off, and one should be good to go. The stiffness cannot be made to go away via stretching, the same way DOMS cannot be made to go away via stretching. What is actually are micro tears in the muscle (along with slight bit of inflammation). Give it time, and it'll heal.

Not what my sports medicine guy says... I guess you are an MD...

VTCaraco
07-02-2019, 04:41 PM
What is actually are micro tears in the muscle (along with slight bit of inflammation). Give it time, and it'll heal.

This feels more like what I was thinking was/is going on...

The resting has DEFINITELY helped.
And the use, lighter than the day it started hurting, has helped. Specifically, I feel like the hiking/walking/stretching has improved range of motion and range that does not hurt.

Still some discomfort going up stairs. Down doesn't hurt.

Was all set to head out for an easy spin, but don't want to prolong full recovery.
Will probably still go out, but avoiding some sort of hill is nearly impossible in Vermont.

OtayBW
07-02-2019, 05:27 PM
Maybe a nice kelltlebell workout might provide just the gentle muscle massage that might help! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

VTCaraco
07-02-2019, 05:46 PM
I was pretty big into power-lifting from age 16 to age 30 or so before shoulder impingement pushed me deeper into cardio work and less into strength.
In my heyday, I would do 5 sets of 8 full squats at 455.
I bet even half of that weight would wake up the old hamstrings...

I'm heading out for an easy spin.