Keith A
07-01-2019, 03:06 PM
Nice.

Tickdoc
07-01-2019, 03:22 PM
nice shiv.

AngryScientist
07-01-2019, 03:27 PM
Nice. Have you seen the video clip Eric posted with that knife slicing a piece of paper? That’s one sharp m-f’er

MattTuck
07-01-2019, 04:22 PM
The margins on knives are undoubtedly better than bikes :) and they don't take nearly as long to build!

R3awak3n
07-01-2019, 04:32 PM
Nice. Have you seen the video clip Eric posted with that knife slicing a piece of paper? That’s one sharp m-f’er

shimano manual none the less :eek:

oldpotatoe
07-01-2019, 04:34 PM
shimano manual none the less :eek:

Perfect!! Well, perfect would be slicing taco Ed’s ‘something’...:eek:

Bruce K
07-01-2019, 05:46 PM
To shank is a verb!

But seriously, Eric makes incredibly cool knives. I am really happy with my first one.

BK

EricEstlund
07-01-2019, 05:49 PM
It was fun to make. I took a little gamble not knowing the steel, but it took a heat treat and became a real knife rather than just an executive letter opener (which would have been fine, too). Should be up for basic daily task cutting. I hope it treats you well! Sheath tomorrow then off in the post.

BobO
07-02-2019, 09:32 PM
Very nice work. On the skinner with the hamon line, is that W-2?

chrisroph
07-02-2019, 09:49 PM
Really nice repurpose of a peanut butter wrench!

Tony
07-02-2019, 11:04 PM
Nice!

Dino Suegiù
07-02-2019, 11:34 PM
From Eric Estlund..how cool is this??
https://wintercutlery.winterbicycles.com/
https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697981468&stc=1&d=1562011291

That is really beautiful.
Is it comfortable to hold and use?

nighthawk
07-02-2019, 11:39 PM

My guess is a spanner wrench... logo would be right and enough steel to work with.

gintas_ce
07-03-2019, 04:24 AM
Wow..wondering what is the steel that it's made from?

Hilltopperny
07-03-2019, 05:32 AM
That knife is awesome! Very creative and one of a kind.

Sent from my LGL423DL using Tapatalk

oldpotatoe
07-03-2019, 06:26 AM

Actually started life as a fixed BB cup/pedal wrench tool...like the bottom one..
Is it comfortable to hold and use?

Haven't received it yet.
wondering what is the steel that it's made from?

Eric said a 'carbon' steel, so heat treatable..but not be skinning sram outside reps with it..just light duty..and showing off:)

EricEstlund
07-03-2019, 08:04 AM
I had a hunch that if they could heat treat it for a wrench I could heat treat it for a knife. It seemed to harden up, so I used a sort of generic temper protocol. Should be good for a light pocket/ bench task knife. If you've ever held a Campy wrench, it feels like that. I round the handle bits a bit, and it seems plenty comfortable for the use it will see.

The hamon knife is 1095. At the moment I'm mostly using 1095 (and some 1075) as I can do all the heat treat in house and am getting predictable results for the kitchen and outdoor knives.

Made the sheath last night, so it should hit today's post.

redir
07-03-2019, 08:43 AM
I was confused at first. Why have a knife specifically for the winter? Oh ok I get it lol.

I wish I could have nice things like that but I know myself all to well. I'd own it for about a month before I lost it.

Bentley
07-03-2019, 11:48 AM
Wow..wondering what is the steel that it's made from?

Most good wrenches made with chrome vanadium steel

weaponsgrade
07-03-2019, 11:54 AM
That is really cool.

BobO
07-03-2019, 12:09 PM
The hamon knife is 1095. At the moment I'm mostly using 1095 (and some 1075) as I can do all the heat treat in house and am getting predictable results for the kitchen and outdoor knives.

Oh wow, I hadn't even thought to try for a hamon it with 10xx. I know what I'm doing tomorrow. :p

I love working with 1075, it's so easy to work and heat treat, that you can just blast out a sharp, durable blade in a hurry. Heck, sometimes I'll just grind out a shape real quick just to see what it'll look like and end up with a decent knife.

My son prefers working with the tool steels, W2 and O1 in particular since he likes making "performance" blades. But for me, they're just too hard to work with hand tools.

Dino Suegiù
07-03-2019, 01:55 PM
Actually started life as a fixed BB cup/pedal wrench tool...like the bottom one.
Eric said a 'carbon' steel, so heat treatable..but not be skinning sram outside reps with it..just light duty..and showing off:)I had a hunch that if they could heat treat it for a wrench I could heat treat it for a knife. It seemed to harden up, so I used a sort of generic temper protocol. Should be good for a light pocket/ bench task knife. If you've ever held a Campy wrench, it feels like that. I round the handle bits a bit, and it seems plenty comfortable for the use it will see.

Really interesting and beautiful work.

This is probably a stupid question, but I am curious and don't know anything about metallurgy:
Can one "heat treat" almost any steel (it must be carbon steel? how does one know?), in this case a Campagnolo tool, to make it hard enough to then keep a good edge?
How long would you expect this knife to stay sharp between necessary honings, under normal use, compared to a knife you make from more "knife-specific" (if that is a thing) steel?

The process is so interesting to me; I remember seeing some programs (PBS or Netflix???) about the making of a Samurai sword, and another the faithful re-creation of a Viking sword, done exactly as the original was done 1,000 years ago (no modern tools or aids); both programs were terrific.

Here is the Viking one:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2204408/

You should make a video of how you convert (the various steps) the tool to the knife; it would be interesting to see.
Hats off to your dedication to craft.

BobO
07-03-2019, 03:09 PM
Can one "heat treat" almost any steel (it must be carbon steel? how does one know?), in this case a Campagnolo tool, to make it hard enough to then keep a good edge?

There is a certain level of carbon content that is needed to be able to cause the transformation necessary to harden the steel. The easiest way to test this is to hit it with a grinder. Ordinary mild steel will throw some sparks, high carbon steel is a burst of sparks.

OtayBW
07-03-2019, 06:23 PM
...Can one "heat treat" almost any steel (it must be carbon steel? how does one know?), in this case a Campagnolo tool, to make it hard enough to then keep a good edge? Or alternatively, can one heat treat a knife that was a heat-treated wrench previously?

Dino Suegiù
07-03-2019, 06:35 PM
There is a certain level of carbon content that is needed to be able to cause the transformation necessary to harden the steel. The easiest way to test this is to hit it with a grinder. Ordinary mild steel will throw some sparks, high carbon steel is a burst of sparks.

Thanks much for the helpful answer. https://forums.thepaceline.net/images/icons/icon14.gif

BobO
07-03-2019, 07:02 PM
Or alternatively, can one heat treat a knife that was a heat-treated wrench previously?

As far as I know wrenches aren't hardened like a knife is. Hardening, while making for a good cutting edge does tend to make the material more brittle. Which would be an undesirable property in a wrench.

That being said, an annealing process can be used to take the temper off a piece of metal. That means heating to above critical and slowly cooling several times.