PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions...road tire

rst72
07-01-2019, 02:24 PM
Been riding Vittoria Corsa G+ (clinchers)...best tire...love them. BUT, went through 2 rear tires this year not because of wear, but the bead separating from the casing. Long ride this weekend and noticed wheel wobble. Stopped and tube was coming out the side wall...ended up rubbing against the seat stay right below the bridge. Let some air out and had a long slow ride home. Same issue previously, but i noticed the bubble before i had issues.

I swapped them out for a pair of Rubino Pro G+ i had laying around...they seem sluggish compared to the Corsas, so looking for another option.

Who is riding what?

Thinking of the Conti Grand Prix 5000s or the Schwalbe Pro One. Thoughts on those...suggestions?

Gabuyo
07-01-2019, 02:48 PM
Of all the cotton casting clinicher tires I've tried, my favorites are the Rene Herse Chinooks. I have previously ridden them as formerly known Compass Chinooks and even before that as Gran Bois Cerfs. Bar none, best tire I've used as far as ride quality. No quality control or delamination issues on my end.

I also have ridden the Corsa G+, Specialized Turbo Cottons, Challenge Paris-Roubaix, Vittoria Open Pave, and Open Corsa SC.

I probably rank the Turbo Cottons as second best, if not interchangeably first as a "1B" tire. Rides great, fast, supple, tons of grip. Everything you love about the Corsa G+, these tires do better. They also have delamination issues, but with the tread instead of the bead.

I actually prefer the previous generation Vittoria Open Corsa SC over the newer Corsa G+. I think the Corsa G+ have lost some suppleness and road feel as compared to the older SC.

rst72
07-01-2019, 03:06 PM
Of all the cotton casting clinicher tires I've tried, my favorites are the Rene Herse Chinooks. I have previously ridden them as formerly known Compass Chinooks and even before that as Gran Bois Cerfs. Bar none, best tire I've used as far as ride quality. No quality control or delamination issues on my end.

Perfect.

My gravel bike has Barlow Pass tires...love them.

I will definitely check out the Chinooks.

Mzilliox
07-01-2019, 04:44 PM
rene herse/compass, other panaracer tires, veloflex, turbo cottons

rpm
07-01-2019, 05:26 PM
I'm becoming a fan of the Conti 5000's. I haven't been using them long enough to assess durability, but they are definitely more comfortable and better handling than the 4000's. I've been running the 25's on my race bike and just put the 32's on the my gravel bike. I had worn out a pair of Compass/Herse extralight 32's and wanted to see what the Contis would be like. I find the speed and comfort of the Contis to be just as good as the Herse Stampede Pass tires, and I'm hoping that the flats will be fewer.

alessandro
07-02-2019, 09:20 AM
I just mounted the Rene Herse/Compass Cayuse Pass 26mm, standard casing, and I love them. Went out for 40 miles Saturday and 25 miles Sunday and I found them smooth, fast, and delightful.

mass_biker
07-02-2019, 09:50 AM
How are the Conti 5K on the gravel bike? Using Panaracer Gravelking SK (light knobby) and looking for something faster.

one60
07-02-2019, 10:02 AM
Race A EVO3 or Race L EVO3 have a bit more grip than Schwalbe ONE, IMHO but have a similar ride quality. There is a discussion on these at VSalon. Despite being a lighter model, I found the L to be plenty durable for a race tire.

Panaracer have recently come out with an updated EVO4 model though I've not tried them.

adrien
07-03-2019, 12:37 PM
After about 5 pairs of corsa G+, I switched to GP5000. I did it because of Enve's warning, though never had sidewall issues myself. As I run about 220, I always have the pressure on the high side.

First sense I had going back to non-cotton was that I felt the spring of the sidewall. But at standard pressures (110/100 for me) they feel really good, seem fast and I've just replaced the rear at 3000 miles. Happy with them.

Much, much better than the 4000s were. All have been 25s, though I'm thinking of going 28 next time.

R3awak3n
07-03-2019, 12:54 PM
I am a fan of Spesh Roubaix pro tire as far as durability X ride quality. Sure they are not as light or as supple as corsa G (which I love) but they ride pretty damn great and they are very durable. Also they cheaper, you can buy 3 for the price of 2 corsa G.

I have been using the corsa control and has been very durable too compared to the normal corsa. Rides great as well.

hotspur.serotta
07-03-2019, 01:14 PM
We have lots of goathead thorns in AZ, and I hate flats. I tried Spec Armadillo Elites in 28 mm, but they were hard as a brick. Found some Armadillos in a weird size, 23/25, and they feel much better. No flats so far, but I've only put a few 100 miles on them.

Was looking at the Vittoria site and fell in love with Rubinos with yellow sidewalls. When I read they had graphene for puncture resistance I was sold. About 300 miles later I got a thorn in the rear, made it back home. Patched that, then later that week got a thorn in front. Enough for me. I don't know how much graphene they use, but it's apparently not enough.

Just mounted Conti GP 5000s but have ridden them only 15 miles. Cannot say yet.

Dave
07-03-2019, 03:16 PM
Michelin pro 3 then many pro 4. No problems of any sort. Bought 3 michelin power endurance tires in larger 25mm size to try next.

rpm
07-03-2019, 07:35 PM
How are the Conti 5K on the gravel bike? Using Panaracer Gravelking SK (light knobby) and looking for something faster.

They've been good on light gravel and crushed limestone. I haven't tried them on heavy gravel. I would expect them to be like other smooth tires there and maybe not as good as knobbies.

Tickdoc
07-03-2019, 07:42 PM
Veloflex fan here. I ride corsa g+s too and while fast, they have a tendency to pick up glass and slip out on any corner that isn’t clean. Used to ride conti 4000 s and they were tough but harsh riding.

Veloflex are like buttah.

Hellgate
07-03-2019, 07:59 PM
We have lots of goathead thorns in AZ, and I hate flats. I tried Spec Armadillo Elites in 28 mm, but they were hard as a brick. Found some Armadillos in a weird size, 23/25, and they feel much better. No flats so far, but I've only put a few 100 miles on them.

Was looking at the Vittoria site and fell in love with Rubinos with yellow sidewalls. When I read they had graphene for puncture resistance I was sold. About 300 miles later I got a thorn in the rear, made it back home. Patched that, then later that week got a thorn in front. Enough for me. I don't know how much graphene they use, but it's apparently not enough.

Just mounted Conti GP 5000s but have ridden them only 15 miles. Cannot say yet.Those things are rocks, but don't flat at all. When I put the Corsas back on my kidneys thank me.

thwart
07-04-2019, 02:31 PM
I actually prefer the previous generation Vittoria Open Corsa SC over the newer Corsa G+. I think the Corsa G+ have lost some suppleness and road feel as compared to the older SC.

Agree. The SC was a great tire, and with a lovely gumwall to boot.

Still have a few left in the 25mm tubular variant... although I've been moving to even bigger tires.