PDA

View Full Version : One bike advice

majorpat
06-30-2019, 06:38 AM
I know, many threads in this and I have already searched and given them a look.

While the info has been informative and helps, my particular situation may help those who have an opinion on a single bike that, mostly, does it all.

I'm 48, long past racing and have two kids in middle and high school that participate in many activities some of which I coach. My riding doesn't require a powermeter or lightweight wheels but I'll do my best occasionally to jam like I am 20 and there are a lot of hills around here.

Basically, I can get out for an hour or so here and there on my local, wonderful Finger Lakes region backroads but 3 hour rides are rare. It would be great to have a bike to ride on decent dirt roads near the in-laws Adirondack camp as well. I bought one of those awesome seat packs that you can jam overnight stuff in to credit card around Lake Ontario if I get motivated as well.

Velotel rides that Eriksen everywhere, someone local suggested the Surly Bridge Club, I have enough parts with disc or long reach brakes to build up a frame (Black Mountain road?) IF Gravel Royale looks cool, too.

I don't need the latest tech, high performance or flash. I can spend a few bucks because, let's be realistic, I'm not going to wear it out and it will probably get more use when my youngest departs for college in 6 years, about the time I plan on retiring. I like metal and steel is cheaper than titanium, my road bike that doesn't get enough love is an aluminum Rock Lobster.

So send me your ideas and why you think they offer a 85% solution which is good enough in my book, I may have already checked them out but maybe you know just what I'm looking for so clue me in. Or, maybe you are in a similar situation and can offer your experiences.

I have been on the forum since 2004 and truly value the people here, over the years you have been a great source of info so thanks in advance, my friends.

Pat

unterhausen
06-30-2019, 06:55 AM
I always am tempted by the Warbird, but there are so many all-road bikes that it's hard to pick between them. I would be happy with 40mm tires like I have on my All City Macho Man Disc right now. Specifically, Maxxis Velocitas. I rode a 600km brevet on that bike with some reasonably high speed pacelines. Might have slowed my accelerations down just a little, the group I was with would always sprint away from every slowdown, and that got tiresome after a while. OTOH, I chased them down after I dropped my phone, so it didn't slow me down too much.

That bike is probably the least capable all-road bike imaginable, but I have put a lot of miles on it, mostly gravel. But I have also done long road rides as well. I would go with discs for that kind of bike. Maybe that's just because of the local conditions, our gravel is either steep up or steep down. Having discs is a real benefit. I feel a lot more confident knowing I can stop.

soulspinner
06-30-2019, 06:56 AM
Live near fingerlakes and have already decided one last custom will be ti (Im 63) and although I have no disc road bikes this one will have and it will have room for tires in the 35mm range. Ti seems the best combo of durability with performance on all surfaces and it can be had with no paint (etched or anodized looks attractive). Your mileage may vary...…….

weisan
06-30-2019, 06:57 AM
. It would be great to have a bike to ride on decent dirt roads near the in-laws Adirondack camp as well.

I have enough parts with disc or long reach brakes to build up a frame (Black Mountain road?)

I don't need the latest tech, high performance or flash.

Pat pal, I think you have answered your own question.

There are bikes that can take 32-35mm tires like Hampsten Strada Bianca and some of the older steel bikes. Are they good enough for you on the dirt roads that you are talking about? Only you can answer that, don't look at other folks who say they can. Different people have different tolerance level.

veloduffer
06-30-2019, 07:12 AM
If the many, many bikes I’ve owned, I think a titanium all road is the one bike solution. In my current stable, it would be my Seven Evergreen. Light enough for spirited road riding and stable for off-roads, even some single track. It is a disc which makes it easier to negotiate loose gravel and rocky trails.

Seven makes these in 0.5 cm increments, so you can really get your ideal fit. Mine is the S model and pics in the gallery.

There are others that make bikes in a similar vein, like Mosiac and No. 22.

If you want to go carbon, I really like the Trek Boone.

Note, I write the above even though I would hate to give up my Parlee and Eriksen road bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldpotatoe
06-30-2019, 07:38 AM
I know, many threads in this and I have already searched and given them a look.

While the info has been informative and helps, my particular situation may help those who have an opinion on a single bike that, mostly, does it all.

I'm 48, long past racing and have two kids in middle and high school that participate in many activities some of which I coach. My riding doesn't require a powermeter or lightweight wheels but I'll do my best occasionally to jam like I am 20 and there are a lot of hills around here.

Basically, I can get out for an hour or so here and there on my local, wonderful Finger Lakes region backroads but 3 hour rides are rare. It would be great to have a bike to ride on decent dirt roads near the in-laws Adirondack camp as well. I bought one of those awesome seat packs that you can jam overnight stuff in to credit card around Lake Ontario if I get motivated as well.

Velotel rides that Eriksen everywhere, someone local suggested the Surly Bridge Club, I have enough parts with disc or long reach brakes to build up a frame (Black Mountain road?) IF Gravel Royale looks cool, too.

I don't need the latest tech, high performance or flash. I can spend a few bucks because, let's be realistic, I'm not going to wear it out and it will probably get more use when my youngest departs for college in 6 years, about the time I plan on retiring. I like metal and steel is cheaper than titanium, my road bike that doesn't get enough love is an aluminum Rock Lobster.

So send me your ideas and why you think they offer a 85% solution which is good enough in my book, I may have already checked them out but maybe you know just what I'm looking for so clue me in. Or, maybe you are in a similar situation and can offer your experiences.

I have been on the forum since 2004 and truly value the people here, over the years you have been a great source of info so thanks in advance, my friends.

Pat

Talk to Richard Schwinn..I'm sure you and he can come up with a design that will 'get you there'...add a couple of sets of wheels...dirt and asfelt...and you are good to go..Yup, probably discs, mechanical shifting, 2 by and gearing/crank/ders that fill the squares.
I like metal and steel is cheaper than titanium, my road bike that doesn't get enough love is an aluminum Rock Lobster.
I can spend a few bucks

Steel will last forever but titanium is a great material for a lifetime, do anything, durable bike

Moots Vamoots DR comes to mind..yup..$$

KonaSS
06-30-2019, 07:50 AM
Here is what I would look for in a 1 bike solution:

2x drivetrain for wider range comfortable road gearing
Clearance up to 35 tires
Would not want one of those bikes with geometry for the backcountry - still want it fun to ride on the road

Some suggestions:

Budgetish - Cannondale Topstone 105. Would upgrade wheels if have the funds. The nice wheels would have tires for whatever discipline I do most. The other wheels would have the opposite tires for quick changes.

A little more - Salsa Warroad Ultegra

Upscale - go crazy with your favorite builder.

eddief
06-30-2019, 08:11 AM
http://carverbikes.com/frames/ti-all-road/

echelon_john
06-30-2019, 08:20 AM
Budget friendly + steel: BMC MCD
More $$ + carbon: Open U.P.

Personally for the scenario you describe I’d do the BMC with two sets of wheels.

Peter P.
06-30-2019, 08:58 AM
No drama; just buy a cyclocross frame, use your existing box of parts, and pair it with a set of road wheels with skinnier tires and a set with wider tires for your off-pavement excursions.

Be sure the frame has fittings for a rack and fenders, for when your needs change.

Ken Robb
06-30-2019, 09:28 AM
I have owned MANY fine bikes but I am down to a 2001 Marin Rift Zone 26" fs mtn. bike and the Rivendell Rambouillet I bought new 20 years ago or so. 3x9 Ultegra, 32 hole Open Pros on Ultegra hubs, Nitto Noodles on Technomic stem. Brakes are mid-reach so it takes 35mm tires with room to spare. It has eyelets for fenders and racks. Mine is a 62cm frame so I can hang a huge saddle bag from my B-17 without needing a rack or fender to keep it off my rear tire. If you can find one of these or the similar Romulus I think you will have all your requirements met.

Check with our esteemed DBRK in Bristol to see if he knows where you might find such a bike in The Finger Lakes.

rwsaunders
06-30-2019, 09:30 AM
I have three steel (road, fender bike (Poprad) and rails/trails (85" Stumpy)) bikes but I miss the Ti Legend that I sold a few years ago. First for its ride quality and second for ease of cleaning in the Winter and Spring slop.

If I could narrow it down to one bike to meet the standards that you've described and be a bit loose with the budget, I'd build a Ti bike with discs, fenders and room for 32-25mm tires. If my budget were impacted by future tuition payments, I'd build the same bike in steel. If tuition payments and world political and economic unrest were both an issue, I'd modify my Poprad and be happy.

Lastly, there are a ton of S Diverges and similar bikes on my local CL that are quite tempting to try. Perhaps pick one up and try the disc and fatter tire experience first without having to buy a new bike.

pbarry
06-30-2019, 09:32 AM
Ritchey Outback.

Mzilliox
06-30-2019, 09:36 AM
the zanconato road 32 FS here seems to check all the boxes, that would be a one bike stable kinda bike for me if i had to do such a thing

dont need more than 32s for some mild gravel trails. heck, i do the craziest stuff i have here on 32s.

roguedog
06-30-2019, 09:55 AM
Of course, custom is the ultimate spend. Catch Tom @ Spectrum before he retires! Then of course, there's no 22, Moots and other custom folks.

On a less spendy level, one that has caught my eye is the Bearclaw Thunderhawk (https://bearclawbicycleco.com/thunderhawk-titanium-650b-gravel-bike/). (Anyone seen one in person?) Reasonably priced so it doesn't feel so precious. And yes, Carver or Habanero are also great way to go to get exactly what you want without too much splash.

kingpin75s
06-30-2019, 10:04 AM
48 here as well and spend most my time on my Eriksen RCR with Road32s and a 44/32 - 11/32 drivetrain.

Covers a lot of ground.

macaroon
06-30-2019, 10:17 AM
Steel can be heavy and dead to ride, especially some of these cheaper "all round" bikes. Saying that, the Ritchey on the previous page looks quite good, but perhaps due to the geometry (and material) you may find it a bit boring if you just want to hammer.
Only on the paceline will someone suggest a $5k Ti frame for one hour blasts when you've got a moment away from the kids. "...but there's no paint to scratch"
I'd look at something alloy like the Trek Crockett, as it's reasonably priced, up-to-date, fairly light, can take larger tyres if needed, and is available as a frameset only.
Or, something like the Focus Paralane if you want something a bit more road orientated (but it'll still take 35c tyres).

Tickdoc
06-30-2019, 10:42 AM
I say Ti all the way....Moots, Erickson, mosaic, seven, firefly, no. 22....and many more great options out there that fit the bill.

Best of luck and happy hunting.:banana:

Duende
06-30-2019, 11:43 AM
Others have already provided solid advice.

For me, Living in SF, with a small apartment, the one bike option really is the way to go.

Struggling right now on deciding which second wheelset to get. One 650B for off roads and 700c for road, or two 700c wheelset with different tires.

Once I nail that down, I should be golden... good luck!!

72gmc
06-30-2019, 01:12 PM
what have you test ridden? I recently tried road plus for the first time (a stock surly midnight special) and was surprised at how much I liked the ride. I've been on a custom Davidson for years. My bike was built for 700x28 with fenders. It can fit 35s and I take it on a lot of surfaces, but 650x47 tires are a different game.

I like to know the tire i like for the roads i ride. Road plus is tempting me. It may be worth trying on your roads.

biker72
06-30-2019, 01:15 PM
Lynskey is running some crazy good deals right now if you're looking for titanium.

Hilltopperny
06-30-2019, 08:11 PM
These are my two do it all style bikes. I am in Central New York and my No22 Drifter could be my only bike with three sets of wheels.

I currently have two sets of Reynolds ATRs 700c and 650b, but if I were to use it as my only bike I'd want another set of race oriented 700c as well. The bike does everything well and would do what you describe to a t.

The steel all arounder is my Kirk MRB which is also a very versatile and capable bike, but no discs. I could make due with this as my only bike with room for 35mm tires, rack mounts, Dynamo hub and front lighting and Terraplane stays it is awesome!

I have a bunch of bikes, but I'd go titanium for NY all around riding if you have any intention of doing Winter riding. I love steel bikes, but they put so much salt on the roads during winter I'd be terrified to ride the Kirk on them.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190701/5cb12cfadb7c120132d67b4b23174a46.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190701/b0fc35444a58193f1a5fac586f9aa2fb.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Andy340
06-30-2019, 10:26 PM
Second Lynskey recommendation - I have an r330 which is outdated now but still going strong and they have a lot of options.

My Niner RLT steel is a great value (especially when on sale) all rounder and very versatile.

For true ‘one bike’, a coupled frame with ability to mount fenders for winter would be extremely versatile - my Ritchey breakaway is the road version and served me well but steel cross version is reasonable and more versatile (there is a carbon explore version that is much more expensive)

joosttx
06-30-2019, 10:43 PM
48 here as well and spend most my time on my Eriksen RCR with Road32s and a 44/32 - 11/32 drivetrain.

Covers a lot of ground.

You are not going to go wrong with an Eriksen (now branded as Bingham Built). I have ordered an MTB from them to be delivered in Aug/Sept.

I dont know your price range but if I were you wanting a do everything no-sense bike I would get this:

Built gravel bike / disc / 38mm wide tires min.
Shimano Ultegra 50-34 with a Sram 11X36 cassette
I9 GRCX wheels (alloy)

This would be an awesome bike.

Another consideration would be a Huntsman by 44 bikes. Kris is great to work with and is in your neck of the woods. The Huntsman (steel) would be considerably cheaper than the Built.

559Rando
07-01-2019, 12:55 AM
How bout a Black Mountain Cycles frame? Maybe the Monstercross (if rim brakes are ok with you...they are for me) or a Road+ or MCD if you need discs.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

jwalther
07-01-2019, 05:49 AM
Rondo Hvrt is really interesting. https://youtu.be/cOrUBVHk4qM

unterhausen
07-01-2019, 06:45 AM
Steel can be heavy and dead to ride, especially some of these cheaper "all round" bikes.
my All City is a pig, but the only time I ever noticed was when I had to carry it up 9 flights of stairs.

Having said that, for an only bike I would get something lighter

AngryScientist
07-01-2019, 06:50 AM
As I've mentioned before, a nice light bike really does make a difference. if you have an alu rock lobster now that you're used to, you're likely not going to be too thrilled about going to something like the Black Mountain road bike. it's a great value bike, but it's not light, and not particularly "zoomey". Bikes like that are better if you want to ride on the slower side for an all day ride, not something lively that you want to take out for an hour or two.

Also, for cycling as you describe, discs are likely un-necessary. you're probably not going to be out in the rain and mud, and you dont need clearance for yuge tires.

my vote is something custom, either titanium or aluminum, with mid reach brakes and room for a smooth 35. A very simple, lively machine that can do almost anything, but leans more toward spirited short roadish rides.

An aluminum zanc road-32 is a good choice, and reasonably priced.

https://scontent-lga3-1.cdninstagram.com/vp/f1653aa05ee9c75dc7070ef038e7d411/5DB91388/t51.2885-15/e35/31123378_1632052206913424_5491463472912793600_n.jp g?_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.cdninstagram.com

happycampyer
07-01-2019, 07:15 AM
^ I was going to say basically the same thing. I would re-recommend speaking to Steve Hampsten. Steve has been designing the exact bike you describe for nearly 20 years.

If you think you would ever travel with the bike, I would highly recommend getting a frame made for mid-reach brakes, eTap and S&S couplers.

saab2000
07-01-2019, 07:28 AM
I have an Independent Fabrication Gravel Royale and it is probably the best 85% solution I can imagine.

This one is completely custom and was designed around fenders and fat tires. They'll do disc or rim brakes, plum it for Di2 or mechanical or dynamo lights, etc. And the quality is terrific. I ride this one a lot, especially in wet weather.

Give them a call and ask about it. I have replaced the steel fork on this one with a Whisky 7 carbon fork but I'm sure they build now with whatever you ask for.

Since you're in upstate NY you can drive over to them for a consultation and fitting with your current bike. It was on time and on budget when I got mine. This is now about 6 or 7 years old.

https://live.staticflickr.com/7851/47210513641_dcafd32d33_b.jpg

velotel
07-01-2019, 08:13 AM
Since I was mentioned in your post, or at least my bike was, here are my thoughts on the subject.

A fat-tired road bike is the perfect opportunity to go custom, on the assumption that you know you your needs and how you like your bike to respond. The handling characteristics on dirt, and especially trails and on anything a bit technical, are slightly different from what one normally wants on blacktop where, if we're really honest about it, there are no technical needs. But what you want is still at heart a road bike. This is where the custom builder who intimately understands both pavement and dirt riding reigns supreme. He (since apparently all custom builders are male) can take your dimensions and your riding style and blend them into a design that will be absolutely always a road bike but one that will perform on dirt with exactly the same impeccable performance, with zero compromise.

That's what my Eriksen is, a bike that I swear does what I want it to do before I've consciously realized what I want it to do. And it absolutely doesn't disappear under me like so many say about their bikes. And I don't want a bike that disappears under me. I want a bike that I can feel, that communicates with me constantly, that instantly responds to some shift in my position, that is in effect a part of me. A bike that disappears under me would be like have legs that I couldn't feel. I want to feel it working, responding.

I've ridden a couple of stock bikes that were close, namely a Moots Routt and a Gunnar (don't know the model, fat tires for dirt model), but they were only close, even very close, but still not that dialed in perfect pitch note that sends my soul flying.

And I don't care how short or long your rides are, unimportant. What's important is what you feel when you're on the bike. When it's right, those moments are infinite, right up until they end.

So I say at this point in your life if you can do it financially, go custom, this is the perfect opportunity. Note I haven't said squat about frame material. Unimportant. What you seek is the feel under you on the road, on the dirt, i.e. how the bike responds and that is design, not material. Besides, I've only ridden ti for more than 30 years now, what the hell do I know about material! I'd also say go with a builder who has lots of solid experience designing (the key word) non-suspended mountain bikes and road bikes because a builder like that knows exactly what you want. No doubt there's a long list of such builders, longer than I know since in fact I'm not a tech head nor a bike collector. People like obviously Kent only he's retired but apparently Brad more than adequately fills his shoes, Steve Potts, Steve Hampsten, Dave Kirk, to name only a very few.

So, in short, gravel bike equals custom, if riding a bike is important enough to you.

Note, anything I say should be kept in the context of my age, 74, as in I'm a dinosaur, my take on things tends to be limited in scope and simplified.

Cheers

mass_biker
07-01-2019, 08:54 AM
Have to say - despite a full stable of bikes - the one that I go to time and time again is my (relatively) stock All City Mr. Pink. I have built it up with DA9000 and relatively lightweight wheels with 28c tires. It can handle road rides (group hammerfests) and gravel roads with aplomb. It has the capacity to take 32c tires - I am switching to these this summer. Not the lightest bike by any stretch - nor the heaviest - but probably the one I use the most.

sparky33
07-01-2019, 09:33 AM
+1 on zoomy, lightish, and fits fatter tires.

....Lots of bikes check those boxes, pick one that speaks to you and call it good.

Santa Cruz Stigmata is my pick: not metal, but really smart do anything ride. SC makes wonderful carbon.

xeladragon
07-01-2019, 09:52 AM
Santa Cruz Stigmata is my pick: not metal, but really smart do anything ride. SC makes wonderful carbon.

If I were buying a stock frameset/bike, that'd be my choice. I have a carbon SC mountain bike, which I really enjoy, and would buy again in a heartbeat.

If I had a larger budget, I'd go titanium. If you don't need custom geo, then go with one of the brands that offer stock geometry like Moots.

Either one wheelset with 700x30-something tires that are good enough for most riding conditions, or two wheelsets that can cover a slightly wider variety of terrain.

tv_vt
07-01-2019, 10:36 AM
If I could only own one bike, it would be my Hampsten Strada Bianca ti bike with S&S couplers and long reach caliper brakes.

But it's nice to have a few more bikes around right now, too.:)

choke
07-01-2019, 07:27 PM
There are bikes that can take 32-35mm tires like Hampsten Strada Bianca and some of the older steel bikes.

If I could only own one bike, it would be my Hampsten Strada Bianca ti bike with S&S couplers and long reach caliper brakes. Another vote for a Strada Bianca. There's no doubt that if I had to pick one bike it would be my SB.

http://hampco.ciocctoo.com/314-1.JPG