PDA

View Full Version : OT - Kettlebells: Boy, Do I Suck!

OtayBW
06-29-2019, 01:01 PM
It's now 72 hours after my 1st kettlebell workout and I have never been more sore in my life! My quads have been ON FIRE for the last 48 hours! :eek:

I'm sure this is likely due to poor form, especially in the swing movements where I'm sure I was doing more of a squat-type of swing than a hinged swing, but holy schlitzky - for 2 days now, I just about need a block-and-tackle just to be able to hoist myself up out of a chair. Going down stairs literally requires a 2-hand assist on the rails with full body support. This is insane....

I find that the kettlebell thing appeals to me for a variety of reasons, but HOLY CARP, I am going to have to watch the form and do fewer reps moving forward. Either that, or it'll be assisted living for me! :cool: :no:

zambenini
06-29-2019, 01:11 PM
Lol, yeah, new routines like that will get your attention. You'll be a pro in a few weeks. As in everything else, form is everything (do as I say, not as I do, ymmv, etc.). I have gotten to the point where I enjoy the gym now... the burn is a good feeling.

biker72
06-29-2019, 01:13 PM
What weight kettlebell are you using??

OtayBW
06-29-2019, 01:22 PM
What weight kettlebell are you using??
I can't remember, but pretty sure it was either 12 or 14 kg. I switched up because I have a real strength imbalance on my left side.

BTW - I'm satisfied that I am going to a legit place for training, but it takes a while to get the proper form and muscle memory, I guess.

OtayBW
06-29-2019, 01:24 PM
I have gotten to the point where I enjoy the gym now... the burn is a good feeling.Oh - this ain't burn. Burn was 48 hours ago! HAR! :D

weiwentg
06-29-2019, 01:47 PM
It's now 72 hours after my 1st kettlebell workout and I have never been more sore in my life! My quads have been ON FIRE for the last 48 hours! :eek:

I'm sure this is likely due to poor form, especially in the swing movements where I'm sure I was doing more of a squat-type of swing than a hinged swing...

If your description is correct, then your form is definitely wrong. I can't remember when I first did KB swings, but it shouldn't just be your quads that are sore. It also works the hams, glutes, lower back, and abs. You're definitely going to want to get the form correct. In other contexts, I suspect you could set yourself up for injury if your form is bad.

daker13
06-29-2019, 01:53 PM
Be careful. You might want to take a class or something.

OtayBW
06-29-2019, 01:55 PM
In other contexts, I suspect you could set yourself up for injury if your form is bad.Thank-you, but TOO LATE! Seriously, the problem with the form has been identified and I will correct it. No permanent damage, but bloody hell, this is some serious SORE! :rolleyes:

OtayBW
06-29-2019, 01:56 PM
Be careful. You might want to take a class or something.Yes, thank-you - as I mentioned, I am in a class, but it will take more than one session...

biker72
06-29-2019, 02:35 PM

I'm sure this is likely due to poor form, especially in the swing movements where I'm sure I was doing more of a squat-type of swing than a hinged swing, but holy schlitzky - for 2 days now, I just about need a block-and-tackle just to be able to hoist myself up out of a chair. Going down stairs literally requires a 2-hand assist on the rails with full body support. This is insane....

I find that the kettlebell thing appeals to me for a variety of reasons, but HOLY CARP, I am going to have to watch the form and do fewer reps moving forward. Either that, or it'll be assisted living for me! :cool: :no:

Just wondering how long is the class you're taking. I'm using a 30# kettlebell that comes out to be about 13.6kg. I don't go to a class but there are literally thousands of YouTube videos on form and technique. I have a feeling my workouts are a lot shorter than yours...:)

OtayBW
06-29-2019, 02:50 PM
Just wondering how long is the class you're taking. I'm using a 30# kettlebell that comes out to be about 13.6kg. I don't go to a class but there are literally thousands of YouTube videos on form and technique. I have a feeling my workouts are a lot shorter than yours...:)
Actually, my workout (singular) was only ~30 min, including warm-up stretching, etc. I also feel really good about the group/trainer that I'm working with. I think he's very experienced, knowledgeable, and concerned about proper form. It just takes more than one time out of the gate to get it right. And yes, I've seen several YouTubes. Here is one of the best that I've found, focusing just on the swing (fyi): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-LvhjWh1vA

Thanks for the comments!

biker72
06-29-2019, 02:58 PM
I've seen a lot of kettlebell videos. Thanks for the link because I haven't seen this one. Looks like I need to work on my form some more...

OtayBW
06-29-2019, 03:35 PM
I've seen a lot of kettlebell videos. Thanks for the link because I haven't seen this one. Looks like I need to work on my form some more...Glad you like it.

sand fungus
06-29-2019, 06:06 PM
I have been doing a Kettlebell class 3-5 times a week for the past 5-6 years and it never gets easier you just go heavier on the bell :) When I do heavy swings I will swing a 44-50kg bell depending on how strong I feel that day. For a normal swing a will do 28-32kg depending on the number of reps.

Seriously don't increase your weight until you get the form correct or you will wreck your back.

Keep at it and your strength will increase and you will get serious strong abs (if you do it right). I think the kettlebells have helped my riding as well. By the way I still get sore and have a hard time moving the next day:)

OtayBW
06-29-2019, 07:15 PM
I have been doing a Kettlebell class 3-5 times a week for the past 5-6 years and it never gets easier you just go heavier on the bell :) When I do heavy swings I will swing a 44-50kg bell depending on how strong I feel that day. For a normal swing a will do 28-32kg depending on the number of reps.

Seriously don't increase your weight until you get the form correct or you will wreck your back.

Keep at it and your strength will increase and you will get serious strong abs (if you do it right). I think the kettlebells have helped my riding as well. By the way I still get sore and have a hard time moving the next day:)
Good advice. Thanks. You are messing with some serious weight there. I can't even imagine. I am in no way motivated to increase the weight. I'd much rather get the form down properly and work within that framework with a suitable weight. For now, that will probably involve keeping my weight close to where it is, but reducing the reps.

Doing squats are also tough. I have to think that there has to be some kind of benefit to climbing, using both the glutes or the quads.

General69
06-29-2019, 07:33 PM
I have been swinging kettlebells for about 6 years now 3 days a week. Started with 14 kg and now at 28 kg. I do it instead of lunch at work. Here is the 20 minute version I have been doing. https://youtu.be/AAuSQEYs4ws
It's serious cause it's Russian.
For proper form, Pavel is the man: https://youtu.be/cKx8xE8jJZs
I'm only sore a day now. In the first year I felt destroyed for days. Kept passing out every evening on my wife. I also do squats on off days now. Not sure if it helps out my riding though. I feel like the muscle mass makes me heavier. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190630/14b4a028fcbadba1c6a4df2b48f8bbd2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Louis
06-29-2019, 07:37 PM
Turkish Get Ups are my favorite KB exercise, and a great strength + cardio workout.

OtayBW
06-29-2019, 07:53 PM
I have been swinging kettlebells for about 6 years now 3 days a week. Started with 14 kg and now at 28 kg. I do it instead of lunch at work. Here is the 20 minute version I have been doing. https://youtu.be/AAuSQEYs4ws
It's serious cause it's Russian.
For proper form, Pavel is the man: https://youtu.be/cKx8xE8jJZs
I'm only sore a day now. In the first year I felt destroyed for days. Kept passing out every evening on my wife. I also do squats on off days now. Not sure if it helps out my riding though. I feel like the muscle mass makes me heavier. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190630/14b4a028fcbadba1c6a4df2b48f8bbd2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using TapatalkThanks - that Pavel link is really very good. I think 'destroyed' sounds pretty much on target, but I have not yet fallen asleep on the gf - at least not unintentionally...;)

teleguy57
06-29-2019, 09:40 PM
Turkish Get Ups are my favorite KB exercise, and a great strength + cardio workout.

Yes! If i could only do one KB exercise it's the TGU. Even more technique dependent for good execution, and we'tll worth learning from a skilled instructor.

When you start moving up in weight (and don't rush that!) It's a real sense of accomplishment.

daker13
06-29-2019, 09:47 PM
Yes, thank-you - as I mentioned, I am in a class, but it will take more than one session...

Sorry--I read your first post and got the impression you were on your own, not the subsequent one where you said you were doing a class.

OtayBW
06-30-2019, 10:19 AM
Sorry--I read your first post and got the impression you were on your own, not the subsequent one where you said you were doing a class.No problem. Thanks.

sand fungus
07-01-2019, 10:40 PM
The picture is from my class tonight.

The 10 minute swing set was tough I started with a 36kg bell and dropped to 28kg at minute 5 and a 24kg at minute 9, thats a lot of swings with very little rest. The finisher (what we call the last 15 min) was a bear I only got through the 12s but I started heavy on the thrusters and they blow me up.

No TGU today but it is a regular exercise in the classes I take. It takes a while to master the movement but it is really good whole body exercise. If you want to challenge yourself on it do it with a standard 45lb barbell:)