PDA

View Full Version : Knoxville Nationals, Crit.

572cv
06-28-2019, 02:48 PM
I’m in Knoxville to watch daughter Emma ride this evening in the USA Crit Nationals.

Frightening at the moment.... a good size thunderstorm just rolled through, but man, I hate to see a soggy Crit. Or even wet roads. Hopefully it will dry out as predicted before 6 pm, the start. It’s frightening because your kid is in it.

If anyone else is there, I’m the old guy with an orange “bring back the elegance” t-shirt, and a matching orange David Kirk bike hat. Say hello, and cheer for Emma. :)

gasman
06-28-2019, 04:33 PM
Hey , go Emma and have a safe race.

bart998
06-28-2019, 04:42 PM
Awesome. Good luck Emma.

bcroslin
06-28-2019, 05:02 PM
Good luck Emma!

Elefantino
06-28-2019, 06:36 PM
Congrats if that was your Emma that won!

e-RICHIE
06-28-2019, 06:42 PM
Congrats if that was your Emma that won!

The Whites are from Delanson, NY.

572cv
06-28-2019, 08:45 PM
Alas , not my Emma, who got pinched on the last corner, and finished eleventh, to her disappointment. Its such a fast race, a downhill finish and every inch at the end makes a difference. But she rode really well, and it was a joy to see her compete. I also had the complete bonus surprise of getting to meet Greg Lemond, who was at the race. And, we met Emma White’s Mom too. A good trip!

MattTuck
06-28-2019, 08:48 PM
That's great! There are no races, only lotteries.

You must be a proud dad.

572cv
06-28-2019, 09:11 PM
That's great! There are no races, only lotteries.

You must be a proud dad.

Thanks, MT. Yup, very proud of her!

weisan
06-28-2019, 09:36 PM

Replay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdUr0tJPDWE

Results
https://legacy.usacycling.org/results/index.php?year=2019&id=19

2LeftCleats
06-28-2019, 10:35 PM
There’s a third Emma. My daughter is a cyclist/massage therapist out of Boulder
but this week is working as a soigneur for the Hincapie squad in Knoxville.

b021c
06-28-2019, 10:45 PM
There’s a third Emma. My daughter is a cyclist/massage therapist out of Boulder
but this week is working as a soigneur for the Hincapie squad in Knoxville.
Did this Emma also live in Raleigh until quasi-recently @2Leftcleats? She's an awesome, fun & funny human being and we were just missing her recently around here. We were CX teammates also.

Tandem Rider
06-28-2019, 11:37 PM
There was some serious horsepower in that race. 572cv, you should be very proud, that's a really good result in a stacked field!:banana::banana:

2LeftCleats
06-29-2019, 10:52 AM
Did this Emma also live in Raleigh until quasi-recently @2Leftcleats? She's an awesome, fun & funny human being and we were just missing her recently around here. We were CX teammates also.

One and the same. Small world.

Red Tornado
06-29-2019, 11:39 AM
When I first read the title I thought you might be referencing the World of Outlaws sprint car race (Knoxville, IA), but it's too early in the year for that race.

572cv
06-30-2019, 08:48 AM
For anyone interested, the Road Races - Men’s, Women’s - are being live streamed on the local Knoxville tv station, WATE. You go to
WATE.COM and find the live stream tab.

The women’s race is on now, about 55 miles to go.

weisan
06-30-2019, 11:20 AM
wow!

so close!

echappist
06-30-2019, 11:24 AM
For anyone interested, the Road Races - Men’s, Women’s - are being live streamed on the local Knoxville tv station, WATE. You go to
WATE.COM and find the live stream tab.

The women’s race is on now, about 55 miles to go.

it's also on youtube; USACycling is streaming it

I still remember the low production quality stuff they had a few years back, when the picture would freeze every ten seconds

------------------------------------------

Great riding by Winder; TTing to the line is always so difficult. What I really don't like about this course design is the final kicker to the line, for it really doesn't reward attacking riding. Ended up being a non-issue in the women's race, but it could have turned out differently

572cv
06-30-2019, 02:50 PM
Wife and I had to come home yesterday, despite learning that our daughter had decided to ride the road race while she was there ! Pretty credible result at 22nd, considering she's just been doing crits. She was in it until the last run up the hill and then faded back. Nothing like a race at distance for some serious training, though. Anyway, got to see the live feed, which was nicely done. Winder's ride was gutsy.

weisan
06-30-2019, 04:59 PM
wow!

so close!

rowebr
06-30-2019, 09:26 PM
Alas , not my Emma, who got pinched on the last corner, and finished eleventh, to her disappointment. Its such a fast race, a downhill finish and every inch at the end makes a difference. But she rode really well, and it was a joy to see her compete. I also had the complete bonus surprise of getting to meet Greg Lemond, who was at the race. And, we met Emma White’s Mom too. A good trip!

So great that you got to see your daughter race! I took my 3-year old daughter to watch the women's Pro/1 race at the Armed Forces Classic earlier this year.

I'm a regular at the lunchtime group ride your daughter Emma does. So my daughter and I waved and cheered for Emma at the start of the race and chatted with her a bit at the finish. It was a great experience for my daughter, now she knows that girls can ride fast!

572cv
07-01-2019, 07:39 AM
So great that you got to see your daughter race! I took my 3-year old daughter to watch the women's Pro/1 race at the Armed Forces Classic earlier this year.

I'm a regular at the lunchtime group ride your daughter Emma does. So my daughter and I waved and cheered for Emma at the start of the race and chatted with her a bit at the finish. It was a great experience for my daughter, now she knows that girls can ride fast!

Well, from my perspective.... what a great first post! Glad to ‘meet’ someone who rides with her, and glad you could take your daughter to the Armed Forces Classic. My wife went down to that race too. Enjoy the lunch rides!

oldpotatoe
07-01-2019, 07:43 AM
Thread drift but I found FloBikes and NBCGold, carried some Euro championships but the US races?

..no....such...luck...:confused:

soulspinner
07-01-2019, 07:58 AM
Cool!

rowebr
07-01-2019, 09:52 AM
Well, from my perspective.... what a great first post! Glad to ‘meet’ someone who rides with her, and glad you could take your daughter to the Armed Forces Classic. My wife went down to that race too. Enjoy the lunch rides!

Yeah I've been lurking for a few months, figured I should definitely chime in with my little story when I saw your post. Good to meet you too!

Bruce K
07-01-2019, 11:18 AM
The races were broadcast on local TV using the USAC feed and still medical anchor personalities.

Rumor has it that ABC is trying to relaunch Wide World of Sports and is looking for events like these to fill up programming.

BK