PDA

View Full Version : Possibility of ABS in bicycle brakes?

zmalwo
06-28-2019, 04:21 AM
Do you guys think ABS might become a reality on Di2 brakes in the future? It would be cool if I can just squeeze the levers as hard as I can and the brakes always perform at their maximum right before slipping?

Nomadmax
06-28-2019, 05:56 AM
ABS is a reality on Bosch equipped E-Bikes.

https://www.bosch-ebike.com/en/products/abs/

I can't imagine that Shimano will let that slide. (pun intended ;)

HenryA
06-28-2019, 06:09 AM
Please no.

AngryScientist
06-28-2019, 06:13 AM
i'm sure it will come, but it will be a little more complicated on a road bike than simply preventing wheel lock-up. on a road bike, i think we have discussed to death by now, the limiting factor on clean dry roads is keeping the rear end of the bike down on heavy front braking. so - when you grab the front brake as hard as you can, you risk flipping over the bars before skidding the front tire.

anyway, someone will develop it, it will become the new hot thing, and it will be added to the growing list of stuff i wont buy.

oldpotatoe
06-28-2019, 06:47 AM
i'm sure it will come, but it will be a little more complicated on a road bike than simply preventing wheel lock-up. on a road bike, i think we have discussed to death by now, the limiting factor on clean dry roads is keeping the rear end of the bike down on heavy front braking. so - when you grab the front brake as hard as you can, you risk flipping over the bars before skidding the front tire.

anyway, someone will develop it, it will become the new hot thing, and it will be added to the growing list of stuff i wont buy.

potm.
post of the morning:)

Ralph
06-28-2019, 07:00 AM
Motorcycles have it....why not bicycles? (and with ABS....you can have traction control...we all need that)

BTW....I don't own a disk brake bike. But the technology is here now.

Mikej
06-28-2019, 07:40 AM
Only if I can turn off the Lane Keep Assist.

Mark McM
06-28-2019, 09:39 AM

ABS has been demonstrated on e-bikes, and it appears to work. The bicycle ABS systems monitor both wheel lock-up, and rear wheel lift. I think the limiting factor for bicycle ABS systems will primarily be cost, weight, and power requirements. So I'll guess that ABS systems will be primarily seen on e-bikes (which are already very costly, heavy, and have a large battery). Because ABS brake actuators take a lot more power than derailleurs, the battery on electronic shifting systems would have to be greatly increased in size to also power an ABS system, which probably limits its appeal on pedal powered bikes.

bigbill
06-28-2019, 09:42 AM
How will I two wheel skid my gravel bike with ABS?

Hellgate
06-28-2019, 09:46 AM
Only if it has launch assist and wheelie control.

MattTuck
06-28-2019, 09:51 AM
Likely to require a new bottom bracket design.

hummus_aquinas
06-28-2019, 10:01 AM
Here ya go!
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/fcIAAOSwcB5ZIusF/s-l300.jpg

FlashUNC
06-28-2019, 10:04 AM
Just no.

benb
06-28-2019, 10:27 AM
The whole thing with the rear wheel lifting has been solved a long time ago on motorcycles.

With bikes it would probably involve some kind of linked braking setup, I'd imagine all computerized.

Even without ABS on linked brakes on motorcycles the whole rear wheel thing is really well controlled. The rear brake is partially controlled by forces at the caliper on the front caliper.. as the bike starts to rotate around the front wheel the caliper is designed to drop force out of the rear brake.

I had a Honda with it.. even at the racetrack it was pretty unflappable. You couldn't go and do stupid things like stomp the brakes in the middle of a corner but you could haul on both brakes really hard and the linked brakes would completely take care of making sure you didn't lock the rear even over choppy ripples from cars braking. It also made it really hard to lift the rear wheel in general because the front brake was partially controlled by the rear brake as well.

You can link the brakes without a computer just through hydraulics but I think the weight penalty on that would be prohibitive on a bicycle. The weight penalty for ABS at all is probably quite large, and for hydraulics to work with ABS the systems always seem to require a boost pump... the boost pump would take a bunch more power, maybe not even doable on a Di2 battery. The pump would also add more weight, and because the system is pressurized it's much more difficult & dangerous to do maintenance on.

I used to do my own brake work on my Honda with linked hydro brakes, it was harder than normal moto brakes or MTB hydros but not too hard. If I had gotten the ABS option I would not have worked on the fluids at all though.. there were too many tools required and too many safety warnings.

Elefantino
06-28-2019, 10:41 AM
Electronic shifting.

Anti-lock brakes.

Next it will be bikes that do the pedaling for you.

Bruce K
06-28-2019, 11:13 AM
Some already do ...

BK

Gsinill
06-28-2019, 11:17 AM
Has been around for decades...
AKA Campagnolo Delta brakes.

FlashUNC
06-28-2019, 11:27 AM
Electronic shifting.

Anti-lock brakes.

Next it will be bikes that do the pedaling for you.

Had a MAMIL come screaming by me up Pinehurst this past weekend doing exactly that. eBikes are a scourge.

mflaherty37
06-28-2019, 12:02 PM
ugh, first discs now this.

Elefantino
06-28-2019, 12:14 PM
Had a MAMIL come screaming by me up Pinehurst this past weekend doing exactly that. eBikes are a scourge.

Hopefully he didn't yell, "STRAVA!!!"

FlashUNC
06-28-2019, 12:19 PM
Hopefully he didn't yell, "STRAVA!!!"

He said nothing, probably out of shame for pushing 375 watts through his motor while he was barely pedaling.

dougefresh
06-28-2019, 12:24 PM
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/video-homemade-abs-on-a-mountain-bike.html

Lewis Moon
06-28-2019, 12:32 PM
Get with the times. Cantilever brakes on steel frames already do this :rolleyes:

crankles
06-28-2019, 12:36 PM
when you grab the front brake as hard as you can, you risk flipping over the bars before skidding the front tire.

But what if it could be programmed so you could do THIS! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqNGH-c2NC4)

I'd write a check right now if ABS can help me manual like Adam Craig!

HenryA
06-28-2019, 03:28 PM
Dogs sleeping with cats....

54ny77
06-28-2019, 08:24 PM
sure why not? it's simply an engineering challenge.

it can certainly be solved. maybe not today, maybe not in several years, but eventually someone will figure it out effectively.

i have exactly zero desire to buy it, but i'm all for championing bright young minds to go chase it. who knows what other inventions come as a result of seeking out a solution.

just think of the idea 20 years ago of a high end fully mass appeal functional wireless bike parts group. mind boggling.

oldpotatoe
06-29-2019, 06:48 AM
just think of the idea 20 years ago of a high end fully mass appeal functional wireless bike parts group. mind boggling.

->:eek:<-

https://twitter.com/RubenEBH/status/1134825335567110144

KIDDING...lighten up!!

Cicli
06-29-2019, 07:02 AM
Great idea.
Hope people start selling their non abs bikes on the cheap.

flydhest
06-29-2019, 07:36 AM
Angry,
The tire limit factor is accurate, but presumably, that would be eliminated by the ABS.

As to flipping over, you don’t have to grab the brakes as hard as possible, so flipping with ABS would be like flipping now...user error.

Obviously, the rear would have an issue.

That said, an accelerometer (or a few) could conceivably solve this problem of flipping as well.

Everything is getting made smaller and smaller overtime. Weight used to be the excuse against disc brakes. That issue has been largely dispensed with.

Burnette
06-29-2019, 10:47 AM
I don't get the push back against it, if it works then great, it's another option for those who seek it.

If you don't care for it, vote with your wallet.

I wonder how they could isolate the pulses from your hands? Surely you could feel the vibrations through the levers. But, I imagine it would be a brief moment and probably a moot concern.

Wayne77
06-29-2019, 11:06 AM

Like.