PDA

View Full Version : Newburyport, MA riding recommendations

JanG
06-27-2019, 06:28 PM
I will probably be staying with family in Newburyport for 5-6 days next week and would like to bring a bike with me. I am somewhat familiar with the area. When my mother-in-law was alive and living in Danvers I had some regular rides from there, but going up 1A to Newburyport was not one of them.

Would be interested in 30-40 miles so I can ride early and be back before the family stuff begins.

Thanks for any advice.

Jan G.

Bruce K
06-27-2019, 06:37 PM
Check with Riverside Cycles as I think they have regular rides almost every day.

A trip to Smolak Farms for baked goods might fill the bill if you do a Google Map search.

BK

Marc40a
06-27-2019, 08:29 PM
I have a fantastic route for you.

What’s the best way to get it to you? Are you on Ridewgps? Can I email a gpx file?

Feel free to pm me.

Hardlyrob
06-28-2019, 08:19 AM
Actually 1A is a pretty great out and back ride from Newburyport.

There are a ton of great loops you can put together from NBPT through Hamilton, Wenham, Ipswich, Topsfield etc. Very bike friendly roads - just watch the landscapers who don't know how long their trailer is.

benb
06-28-2019, 09:44 AM
Maybe Contact ECV (Essex County Velo).

It's one of the bigger eastern MA clubs. They'd have group rides & information for you I'd imagine.

I have to ride through a lot of questionable areas to get up there so haven't rode up there that much, but I have done a few big rides in the area.

It's a nice area for riding, lots of farmland & horse pastures and such, rolling/flat terrain. Expect to get a lot of sun on the ride, it's not as shaded as other parts of eastern MA.

Some areas you could work into your rides:
- Crane Beach/Crane estate area
- Plum Island
- Essex, Ipswich, Rockport, etc..

I would probably plan some kind of easy ride along the water, there are a lot of beautiful seaside sights to take in.

Two of our favorite places to go up there are Halibut point state park (no riding, easy hiking with some crazy views) and Woodman's of Essex. (Very famous fried seafood restaurant)

Bruce K
06-28-2019, 11:11 AM
ECV is far less active than it used to be.
Lots of focus on race promotion and the kids program.

I haven’t seen a ride schedule in ages - rides are generally shop rides from Riverside (Newburyport), Seaside (Manchester by the Sea), and Centraal Cycje (Beverly).

BK

JanG
06-28-2019, 11:49 AM
Thanks to all for the suggestions. There is plenty for me to look into.

(For BenB, Thanks for the tip but I'm not a Woodman's fan. For the last 37 years since I met my wife, I've been going to either the Village or Farnham's :)

Jan G.

verbs4us
06-28-2019, 06:17 PM
If you ride through the marshes in Newbury, Rowley etc, just bring a scarf or buttom your lips because the gnat clouds in the early am can be dense and can collect unpredictably in the summer. Great area for riding. When velociraptors still darkened the skies, I placed 2nd in the annual Newburyport crit. Two more laps I woulda caught the guy up front on a Raleigh Professional (that's how long ago it was).

cd_davis
06-28-2019, 06:31 PM
I live there, know all the routes. Call me (use PM -mods)
Chris