PDA

View Full Version : The New Supersix EVO is here.....

yinzerniner
06-27-2019, 11:11 AM
.... and as s previous owner of two different versions the results are.... hit and miss? At least at first glance. Good to see they haven't forgot about the rim brake crowd, but the design/cable routing choices look curious at best.
Full range: https://www.7hundred.co.uk/facetresults.aspx?Term=supersix

https://www.7hundred.co.uk/images/2020_cannondale_supersix_hm_team_replica.jpg?width =664&height=664&format=jpg&quality=70
https://www.7hundred.co.uk/images/020_cannondale_supersix_carbon_disc_ultegra_goldfi nger.jpg?width=664&height=664&format=jpg&quality=70
https://www.7hundred.co.uk/images/c20_c11750m_supersix_crb_105_bbq_pd.jpg?width=664&height=664&format=jpg&quality=70

Terrible graphics/paint, weird cable routing, headtube/stem junction is junk when not using the KNOT system, etc. etc.

It will probably ride great like all Cannondales, but just can't get behind the total lack of aesthetic acumen on display.

zmalwo
06-27-2019, 11:26 AM
the question is why are they still using the DA 9070 groupset on a 2020 bike.

Hai H. Ho
06-27-2019, 11:38 AM

I was thinking the same thing.

Not bad overall.

blantonator
06-27-2019, 11:51 AM
horrible

CDollarsign
06-27-2019, 11:59 AM
real bad.

icepick_trotsky
06-27-2019, 12:08 PM
Are they bringing back that retro cannondale font/logo? I dig these.

Andy sti
06-27-2019, 12:19 PM
Why even post this on this site? Trolling the haters. :)

I love my Supersix EVO Hi Mod - previous gen.

old fat man
06-27-2019, 12:19 PM

Because it's a computer rendering and they drop on parts from the archives to mock it as a complete bike, pre production. Probably not the pictures they expected to get out online.

ColonelJLloyd
06-27-2019, 12:20 PM

They stopped short of the little house, though. Shoulda went all in.

MattTuck
06-27-2019, 12:34 PM
Despite my efforts, I still can't make my brain like those midget seat stays.

bcroslin
06-27-2019, 12:39 PM
Love the new evo and the direction Cannondale is going. Retro grouches be damned!

R3awak3n
06-27-2019, 12:48 PM
I think the bikes look nice but the paint jobs look dated.

tuscanyswe
06-27-2019, 01:06 PM
I kinda like the fact that they make it so easy for me. I would never buy a bike that looks like this and they all currently do, specialized bmc canyon cannondale etc. They all make bikes i have absolutely zero desire to buy :banana: Its a good thing i guess .)

sparky33
06-27-2019, 01:46 PM
I agree. Are they all working from the same basic mold or what?

Cannondale is differentiating itself slightly with uglier paint.

However, I find myself somewhat curious about the 2020 BMC Roadmachine even though it is the opposite of what I would typically go for.

a bike that looks like this and they all currently do, specialized bmc canyon cannondale etc.

It will probably ride great like all Cannondales, but just can't get behind the total lack of aesthetic acumen on display.

Matthew
06-27-2019, 03:29 PM
No thanks. All bikes are starting to look the same now like mentioned above. Those tiny, barely there stays are awful. Please move them up the seat tube as well. Far better looking there. Maybe they do ride great, but I'll never know. Not a fan of the font either. But I like the Moots font so go figure.

d_douglas
06-27-2019, 03:37 PM
I bet that bike is a riot to ride, but it is pretty butt ugly. I too hate the dropped seatstays.

msl819
06-27-2019, 03:39 PM
I dont care much for the looks of the one above but do really like the looks of this EF team bike supers evo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t7Fb26LXKU

jtbadge
06-27-2019, 03:43 PM
I dont care much for the looks of the one above but do really like the looks of this EF team bike supers evo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t7Fb26LXKU

I agree, the current model is probably the best looking bike in the peloton. Even with FSA rings and cockpit.

velotrack
06-27-2019, 03:45 PM
i don't love it, don't hate it... but i'm gonna get used to it. maybe eventually like it.
kinda like the 4-arm cranks.

Blown Reek
06-27-2019, 03:49 PM

That old-school font is the best! Now if they'd bring back the little triangle barn on the headtube, I wouldn't be any closer to getting one, but I would appreciate it.

jpang922
06-27-2019, 05:07 PM
I too am not a fan of the dropped seat stays (aesthetics, rear brake caliper routing but with everything going towards hydroelectric this will be a moot point) but find the “all bikes look the same now” comment intriguing. Same can be said for vintage lugged steel frames but people remember those times fondly. What am I missing here? The silhouette of the race bike has evolved and will continue to.

yinzerniner
06-27-2019, 05:28 PM
I too am not a fan of the dropped seat stays (aesthetics, rear brake caliper routing but with everything going towards hydroelectric this will be a moot point) but find the “all bikes look the same now” comment intriguing. Same can be said for vintage lugged steel frames but people remember those times fondly. What am I missing here? The silhouette of the race bike has evolved and will continue to.

Problem is .... the silhouette of the race bike really hadn't evolved that much since the beginning of serious racing.

The biggest geometry change was with the TCR, and for many it was revolutionary at the time. But for the most part the double triangle look was consistent for almost 100 years.

I posted this over at weightweenies but it's relevant here. Check out this post's pictures and marvel how the basic frame design remained unchanged up until the advent of widespread carbon bikes in the late 90's
https://gizmodo.com/100-years-of-tour-de-france-bikes-map-the-evolution-of-709973821

Matthew
06-27-2019, 10:54 PM
At least back in the day when all bikes looked the same they looked good!! That's basically what I meant when I said that. Level top tubes, stays that met at the seat cluster.

54ny77
06-28-2019, 12:32 AM
no thank you.

i still miss my caad9. wish i could have kept that. didn't have the room, it drew the short straw when it came time to do the n-1 thing.

fiamme red
06-28-2019, 12:40 AM
That old-school font is the best! Now if they'd bring back the little triangle barn on the headtube, I wouldn't be any closer to getting one, but I would appreciate it.Actually, that wasn't a barn but the Cannondale train station in Connecticut. See the cover of the 1983 catalog.

https://vintagecannondale.com/year/1983/1983.pdf

pasadena
06-28-2019, 01:37 AM
I'm a little disappointed that Cdale didn't keep the S6E traditional. It was a standout because of it.

Cdale seems to have caved to the fashion, and went the same as everyone else.
I'm not a fan of the graphics but maybe it looks better in real life.

I've always wanted a S6E but maybe the current one in Rapha oilslick will be the collectors item to own.
I used to race on the CAAD bikes and have fond memories of it. I think the CAAD 10 was my last Cdale.

Did they raise the headtubes on the new S6E? It looks strangely tall. Not sure if you can get a proper position with that.

yinzerniner
06-28-2019, 09:41 AM
I'm a little disappointed that Cdale didn't keep the S6E traditional. It was a standout because of it.

Cdale seems to have caved to the fashion, and went the same as everyone else.

Did they raise the headtubes on the new S6E? It looks strangely tall. Not sure if you can get a proper position with that.

Don't think it's "caved to fashion" by not keeping it traditional, but rather caved to physics and aerodynamics. When the pros aren't winning on your bikes and they're empirically proven to be much slower than the competition it's tough on the marketing end to justify the super-high prices for a performance machine. Whether it's because of the machine or not doesn't matter when it comes to attracting eyeballs, foot traffic and dollars.

Also, see the geo charts for the newer ride. Seems to have made it slightly higher position by 3mm shorter reach and 7mm higher stack for the 56cm. Don't know whether this is to accommodate the integrated handlebars and/or new stem spacer and cable routing setup, but it definitely could effect fit.

At least back in the day when all bikes looked the same they looked good!! That's basically what I meant when I said that. Level top tubes, stays that met at the seat cluster.
This statement is just an objective observation. For one person they can't find a race bike attractive that doesn't have the classical proportions, for others something like this makes some of the old bikes look like toys in comparison....
https://www.pedalroom.com/p/specialized-allez-sprint-red-hook-crit-40624_3.jpg

Clean39T
06-28-2019, 09:51 AM
There's so much facepalm marketing here.

It's an aero bike...

But the head-tube is 1.5cm taller on the 58.

It's an aero bike...

But go ahead and put 30mm+ tires on it.

It's an aero bike...

But you're stuck with too much rise, not enough length, and too much width in the bar/stem.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that a properly race-fit SS Evo from last year w some aero bars/wheels and 25c tires will be just as fast/efficient at normal 18-22mph speeds on normal pavement as this bike with all of its comfort-compromises.

But hey, it's good for the custom bike biz, so - win/win?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

cderalow
06-28-2019, 10:30 AM
the new versions of cannondales make me appreciate my CAAD10 even more.

Such a classic look and feel. Even with a bunch of miles on it.

Big Dan
06-28-2019, 10:38 AM
I can't.

Always loved CAAD's.

Heisenberg
06-28-2019, 10:43 AM
There's so much facepalm marketing here.

It's an aero bike...

But the head-tube is 1.5cm taller on the 58.

It's an aero bike...

But go ahead and put 30mm+ tires on it.

It's an aero bike...

But you're stuck with too much rise, not enough length, and too much width in the bar/stem.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that a properly race-fit SS Evo from last year w some aero bars/wheels and 25c tires will be just as fast/efficient at normal 18-22mph speeds on normal pavement as this bike with all of its comfort-compromises.

But hey, it's good for the custom bike biz, so - win/win?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

it's fast. it will win races. this is what it is supposed to do. it will be faster than the ss evo, even all parts equal, guaranteed. it doesn't look horrible, but yes, because of constraints, most carbon race bikes are conforming to a set of design norms.

if you don't want a race bike, don't get one. most people posting here will never take advantage of the edge it strides. get something more fun for everyday usage that brings you a smile.

glad to see the geometry is becoming sensible, especially for smaller riders. makes a lot more sense than the geo chart from that abomination gravel bike.

dpdan93
06-28-2019, 11:31 AM
I just don’t understand how someone goes out and spends 10K+ on a production bike made by a 13 y/o in Taiwan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andeww
06-28-2019, 11:38 AM
i think they nailed it on these, awesome

https://www.cannondale.com/~/media/Images/Dorel/Products/Bikes/C25189M/Variants/C25189M20LG/images/i1ahgse7qdigbeirrtpd.ashx?mw=1000

https://www.cannondale.com/~/media/Images/Dorel/Products/Bikes/C25189M/Variants/C25189M50LG/images/cziwdqucn3k89plsknsp.ashx?mw=1000

Clean39T
06-28-2019, 12:39 PM
it's fast. it will win races. this is what it is supposed to do. it will be faster than the ss evo, even all parts equal, guaranteed. it doesn't look horrible, but yes, because of constraints, most carbon race bikes are conforming to a set of design norms.

if you don't want a race bike, don't get one. most people posting here will never take advantage of the edge it strides. get something more fun for everyday usage that brings you a smile.

glad to see the geometry is becoming sensible, especially for smaller riders. makes a lot more sense than the geo chart from that abomination gravel bike.

I'm just saying that I'm surprised that the SS EVO is making concessions to comfort rather than maintaining its status as an unapologetic race bike. And with the integrated cockpit, it becomes impossible to #slamthatstem and very expensive to get a proper 130x40 stem/bar setup on there. Combine that with the increased stack and decreased reach, plus encouragement to use fatter tires, and they are pushing it closer to an endurance bike.. Which is fine, but is a departure from the history of the model. I don't doubt the frame itself is faster - but if it puts the rider in a less aero position, the small gains of the frame will be overwhelmed by the losses in rider position. And with the difficulty of adjusting the cockpit, getting the rider into the same position won't be as easy as before. That's all.

Clean39T
06-28-2019, 12:40 PM

https://www.cannondale.com/~/media/Images/Dorel/Products/Bikes/C25189M/Variants/C25189M20LG/images/i1ahgse7qdigbeirrtpd.ashx?mw=1000

https://www.cannondale.com/~/media/Images/Dorel/Products/Bikes/C25189M/Variants/C25189M50LG/images/cziwdqucn3k89plsknsp.ashx?mw=1000

Those are awesome -- but we need a "Beast of the East" version in the same colorway..

yinzerniner
06-28-2019, 03:09 PM
Those are awesome -- but we need a "Beast of the East" version in the same colorway..

These are indeed amazing. Really wished they'd applied the same attention to detail when they designed their flagship cycle.

Having grown up very close to where Cannondale started, and ridden and lusted after many of their rides over the years it saddens that all the new information that's been published has only lessened the appeal. I get all the aero benefits of the main design elements, however it seems like they strayed too much from their original design language and tried to assuage such misgivings by throwing a peanut by reverting back to the old emblem while also keeping other text/paint squarely in the "modern" aesthetic.

Here's a little mockup I did where they could've easily implemented most of the modern aero tricks without completely ruining the Supersix silhouette, and also adding more of the classic design elements.
Original:
https://www.cannondale.com/~/media/Images/Dorel/Products/Bikes/C11150M-C11150M1044/Variants/C11150M1044/images/usnxwacgtyehd2mfkbhm.ashx?mw=1000
Mockup:

velotrack
06-28-2019, 03:22 PM
^ that's good editing work

mtechnica
06-28-2019, 05:07 PM
They claim 30 watts savings over the last one at 30mph. Hmmmmmm

beeatnik
06-28-2019, 05:15 PM

And that explains why since the C59, few team leaders on Colnago sponsored teams choose the C series bikes over Giant manufactured monocoque.

colker
06-28-2019, 05:19 PM

Tasty.. love those. Bike candy.

GregL
06-28-2019, 07:19 PM
I'm just saying that I'm surprised that the SS EVO is making concessions to comfort rather than maintaining its status as an unapologetic race bike. And with the integrated cockpit, it becomes impossible to #slamthatstem and very expensive to get a proper 130x40 stem/bar setup on there. Combine that with the increased stack and decreased reach, plus encouragement to use fatter tires, and they are pushing it closer to an endurance bike.. Which is fine, but is a departure from the history of the model. I don't doubt the frame itself is faster - but if it puts the rider in a less aero position, the small gains of the frame will be overwhelmed by the losses in rider position. And with the difficulty of adjusting the cockpit, getting the rider into the same position won't be as easy as before. That's all.
Thanks for the great summary! Since the CAAD7, Cannondale road geometry was something I could count on for a reasonably long and low fit in my size (56). With the new SS Evo, I will have to look for a different brand of race frame. Hope the upcoming CAAD13 doesn’t copy this geometry...

Greg

ColonelJLloyd
06-28-2019, 07:37 PM
Those MTB throwback schemes are pretty good.

a proper 130x40 stem/bar setup on there.

Interested to hear what you mean by this. Form over function thing? Handlebar reach/width, shifter shape/reach and humans come in more than a handful of sizes. I don't see why stem length should not also be a variable.

Chris(NJ)
06-28-2019, 09:40 PM
I still love my CAAD too, but this would be near the top of my list if I was buying right now. Cannondale always tends to get things right and I'm sure this bike is a fast, responsive and a relatively comfortable ride for what it is. The internet never likes new things, but I'm willing to bet most people will have a different opinion of this bike by the end of the year once they see a few out on the road and get to ride some.

Clean39T
06-28-2019, 09:42 PM
Those MTB throwback schemes are pretty good.

Interested to hear what you mean by this. Form over function thing? Handlebar reach/width, shifter shape/reach and humans come in more than a handful of sizes. I don't see why stem length should not also be a variable.Well, I was being kind of sarcastic, but it does frustrate me that manufacturers still think if you're on a 58/60cm bike, you need 44cm bars.. And while I prefer the handling of long stems on race bikes, I know others like something more on the middle. The inflexibility of one piece systems is just silly to me - especially since manufacturers aren't providing shops w free swaps on these bikes, as far as I know.

This does not look like a bike with an aero optimized position:

https://cdn-road-cc.cdn.ampproject.org/i/s/cdn.road.cc/sites/default/files/cannondale-supersix-evo-2020-first-look79.jpg

But this certainly does:

https://www.pedalroom.com/p/2013-cannondale-evo-9218_1.jpg

ultraman6970
06-28-2019, 09:47 PM
everybody copying bmc eh?

Chris(NJ)
06-29-2019, 07:19 AM
everybody copying bmc eh?

If it's a design that truly works, then why not...