PDA

View Full Version : Help me up my wheel game— Ellis OS

mt2u77
06-26-2019, 03:38 PM
I’ve been LOVING this Ellis (via Clean39T). It’s all I could ever want in a road bike, so it’s time to invest in some wheels.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190626/4616e83f682042bcb7aa9abc4d4d1fd9.jpg
It’s currently rolling Open Pros with 28mm tires, and I’d like to try something wider and maybe tubeless, just to see what the hubbub is about.

Looking for ideas, both functional and aesthetic. My short list is below (I know it’s stylistically all over the map, but more on that later):

- HED Belgium Plus / CK R45 (a modern gold std, if you will, not sure I like the giant graphics though)
- Boyd Altamont Ceramic / hubs TBD (heard good things, somewhat infatuated with a dark brake track)
- H Plus Son TB14 hard ano or other traditional box/shallow rim (classic look for a steel bike)
- and, at the risk of heresy, mid-depth 38mm carbon (ducks to avoid rotten fruit, but maybe?)

Second question would be silver hubs / silver spokes vs. black?

At the crux of the matter is I can’t decide if this bike wants to be more classic or athletic. It definitely likes to go— I’ll never race it, but it is fun to ride it fast and hard. But then again, lugged steel, and that fork . . . It seems to exist in both places at once, and maybe I’m looking for wheels that complement that duality.

msl819
06-26-2019, 04:09 PM
Wider is better. Wider on quality steel is sublime. I have rolled Belgium+ and am sold. Hub choice is totally subjective. Do you want high quality “blingy”? King’s are hard to beat. Do you want rock solid, subtle build? DT 240s are hard to beat.

I like the look of no machined brake track too but found that all coatings wear off, at least the ones I have tried. I like machined brake track better than coating half worn so I made the choose to stick with machined brake tracks... that’s totally subjective. I wonder how the Boyd’s wear and the Exalith but love the width and ride of Belgium+ and 25/28 on high end steel.

AngryScientist
06-26-2019, 04:11 PM
just go straight to the top and get Boras.

yes, they are that good.

msl819
06-26-2019, 04:13 PM
As to your last question. I like my hubs to match my headset so if the headset is silver I’d vote silver if black, black. That’s a big part of the appeal of King to me, matching HS, hubs, and even BB in some instances. But that is just me.

I want my tape and saddle the same color
I want my stem and Seatpost the same color - even brand matching when possible.
I want my hubs, HS, and BB to match is possible.

msl819
06-26-2019, 04:14 PM

yes, they are that good.

I know 11sp is interchangeable but do Boras allow for freehub swap to run Shimano cassette?

tuscanyswe
06-26-2019, 04:18 PM
Yes

macaroon
06-26-2019, 04:22 PM
Boras would look good, either that or something low profile like you have now. Deep, black alloy rims (Hed et al) with a silver brake track look pish.
CK hubs are a waste of time and money.

one60
06-26-2019, 04:23 PM
If you are staying with alloy wheels, I would recommend the DT Swiss OXIC wheels. They come in two depths, 21 mm and 32mm and are tubeless ready (though you can run tubes). I've have some very nice handbuilts, a set of Boras and a set of Altamonts and find these 'factory wheels' have been awesome...great looking, amazing braking and very quiet. No wear on the brake track either.

The price to value is amazing making these a true sleeper. I have a pair of each, so PM if you have any questions

msl819
06-26-2019, 04:35 PM
If you are staying with alloy wheels, I would recommend the DT Swiss OXIC wheels. They come in two depths, 21 mm and 32mm and are tubeless ready (though you can run tubes). I've have some very nice handbuilts, a set of Boras and a set of Altamonts and find these 'factory wheels' have been awesome...great looking, amazing braking and very quiet. No wear on the brake track either.

The price to value is amazing making these a true sleeper. I have a pair of each, so PM if you have any questions

These have caught my eye for all the reasons mentioned above

jtbadge
06-26-2019, 04:38 PM
There have been a couple of sets of DA9000 hubs built to TB14s on the classifieds. That would be perfect for this bike.

msl819
06-26-2019, 04:54 PM
There have been a couple of sets of DA9000 hubs built to TB14s on the classifieds. That would be perfect for this bike.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=231971&highlight=9000+wheels&page=2

Just bought a wheelset from Muffin Man. Simple and straightforward.

pdmtong
06-26-2019, 05:03 PM
yes, they are that good.
Boras absolutely transformed my Vanilla (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=101347)
You can buy them with a shimano body.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20151007/717bedbff09978e24413271ccd6bb922.jpg

pro glam shot
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170624/822928ea331a8be492a2f1f4dd7e8bbe.jpg

Big Dan
06-26-2019, 05:18 PM
Boyds for the win.

one60
06-26-2019, 05:23 PM
for the 'less is more' aesthetic

Clean39T
06-26-2019, 05:47 PM
for the 'less is more' aesthetic

Dang, need those for my Allied..

Duende
06-26-2019, 05:51 PM
Get the Boras. They are f'in amazing wheels.

Clean39T
06-26-2019, 05:56 PM
I’ve been LOVING this Ellis (via Clean39T). It’s all I could ever want in a road bike, so it’s time to invest in some wheels.

It definitely likes to go— I’ll never race it, but it is fun to ride it fast and hard. But then again, lugged steel, and that fork . . .

It seems to exist in both places at once, and maybe I’m looking for wheels that complement that duality.

So happy to see that you're digging it - that there is one of the finest (top two or three) bikes I've ridden, and I've ridden a lot of bikes :rolleyes:

Its ability to shift between feeling racey, feeling classic, and feeling ready for all-road duty was outstanding. I road it with 32s and with 25s...with silver Campy 10 double and triple, and R8000 too...and it felt great in every guise.

So, as to the wheels. My favorite on there were the HED Ardennes+ SL that I ran briefly - wide and light, and looked great with the all-black R8000 get-up - and were good with the whole range of tire sizes I ran on there. I found them on sale in the $500 range, pretty much new (iirc). So that's one option. If you want to buy new though, my current recommendation would be either Fulcrum Racing 0s or Racing 3s - excellent hubs and build quality. Wide enough for what you need. Stickers come off easily and there's just enough silver to tie things in. And best of all - when you finally decide to run Campy on there, they'll look right at home! I ordered my latest set of Racing Zeros from ChainReaction, using a 10% VeloClub discount to bring them down to the low $600 range - and they arrived in three days.

Good luck - and happy miles!

colker
06-26-2019, 07:46 PM
Anything will look good there so i vote for having many wheelsets.

I also vote for a sweet titanium seatpost. Just do it.

mt2u77
06-26-2019, 08:32 PM
You guys are going to get me on a Campy groupset yet. Those black label Boras are so HOT! But then I’d need a black Chorus 11 groupset to match. Can’t go wrong with that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mt2u77
06-26-2019, 08:45 PM
As to your last question. I like my hubs to match my headset so if the headset is silver I’d vote silver if black, black. That’s a big part of the appeal of King to me, matching HS, hubs, and even BB in some instances. But that is just me.

Thanks for this. Seems like good advice. I’m still tempted to go silver post/headset/stem. At some point I had to choose between two good options and black was the easier choice based on what I had.

The only real limiting factor I’ve found is 30.6 seatpost choices are slim and there’s no good way to use a shim with the carved seat tube lug.

shinomaster
06-26-2019, 08:47 PM

yes, they are that good.

50's or 35's or 45mm Wto's?

mt2u77
06-26-2019, 08:49 PM

I probably would have pulled the trigger on these already, but I think they are “only” 21.5 mm wide. Not sure how big of a deal that is, but I feel like 28 mm tires are the sweet spot for this bike.

colker
06-26-2019, 08:59 PM
The only real limiting factor I’ve found is 30.6 seatpost choices are slim and there’s no good way to use a shim with the carved seat tube lug.

Bold. Custom seatposts. Worth it.
http://www.boldprecision.com/bicycle-products.html

bigman
06-26-2019, 09:44 PM
Contact Eric at Ergott wheels.

Clean39T
06-26-2019, 11:56 PM
Thanks for this. Seems like good advice. I’m still tempted to go silver post/headset/stem. At some point I had to choose between two good options and black was the easier choice based on what I had.

I'll have to check but I may still have a 30.6 Thomson for it in silver - and maybe a Kalloy in silver too if you're needing setback..

one60
06-27-2019, 12:29 AM
I have run Schwalbe Pro ONEs in 25 and 28mm on these rims and those tires are about 1-2mm wider than the labeled width. But run tubeless you can lower the pressure to give you any extra cush you may seek.

I probably would have pulled the trigger on these already, but I think they are “only” 21.5 mm wide. Not sure how big of a deal that is, but I feel like 28 mm tires are the sweet spot for this bike.

jtbadge
06-27-2019, 12:44 AM
This bike needs neither silver cockpit nor Campy. Paceline hivemind needs to chill

gibbo
06-27-2019, 01:00 AM
D/A C40 tubs would be my choice. Dura Ace hubs are great, easy to service, and will last a LONG time. The CK R45 are also a fantastic choice, so many good options to choose from!
The only reason I would not get Bora's is I don't like to mix n match, but that is just me. I actually think the Bora's are the top of the pile in the wheel world (marginal gains).....

mt2u77
06-27-2019, 07:06 AM
I'll have to check but I may still have a 30.6 Thomson for it in silver - and maybe a Kalloy in silver too if you're needing setback..

Thanks Clean, but no need to look, you already sent it to me! :D. I have zero issues with a Thomson post, and I don’t need any setback. It’s the stems that I’ve never really cared for when it comes to matchy-matchy.

Other than new wheels, I’m probably just going to leave everything else alone and just ride. The frame and the fit are sublime, and the rest is reasonable cost “stuff that works.”

AngryScientist
06-27-2019, 07:13 AM

that depends on budget, and if he wants to go fast or uphill. :)

pdmtong
06-27-2019, 11:21 AM
You guys are going to get me on a Campy groupset yet. Those black label Boras are so HOT! But then I’d need a black Chorus 11 groupset to match. Can’t go wrong with that!Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not true...I know three people riding shimano or sram groups with Boras.
Campag would claim the 45 WTO are the very best. But I would save some money and get the 35s...

cinco
06-27-2019, 12:53 PM

This

weiwentg
06-27-2019, 01:08 PM

I don't think that 21.5mm (outer diameter?) rims are a deal breaker for 28mm tires. I do have a pair of Altamont Ceramic rims with White Industries coming. Will post when they're ready.

I've also heard good things about Boyd's stock hubs, but they're only available in black, if it makes a difference. They look like a more serviceable version of the now defunct Alchemy/Wheels Mfg hubs. The flange spacing and diameters look very similar.

shinomaster
06-27-2019, 02:05 PM
that depends on budget, and if he wants to go fast or uphill. :)

I can't decide, I have Shamals for climbing... I've always wanted 50's because they look so awesome.

weiwentg
07-07-2019, 06:47 AM
Here's what a pair of ceramic rims would look like on a steel bike.

https://i.imgur.com/FnfPHLq.jpg

For the record, those were Boyd Altamont ceramic rims (obviously), laced to silver 20f/24r White Industries hubs, 14/15 double butted spokes (either Wheelsmith or Sapim), and pink Sapim alloy nipples. I think the dark rims + brake track do look nice and modern. I think that the modern ceramic rims can complement a lot of bikes out there.

About the spoke nipples not being brass: yeah, I know, and I don't care.

Tony
07-07-2019, 10:50 AM
Here's what a pair of ceramic rims would look like on a steel bike.

https://i.imgur.com/FnfPHLq.jpg

For the record, those were Boyd Altamont ceramic rims (obviously), laced to silver 20f/24r White Industries hubs, 14/15 double butted spokes (either Wheelsmith or Sapim), and pink Sapim alloy nipples. I think the dark rims + brake track do look nice and modern. I think that the modern ceramic rims can complement a lot of bikes out there.

About the spoke nipples not being brass: yeah, I know, and I don't care.

Nice, Boyd ceramic rims would be my choice. Agree, dark rim/brake track looks nice on any bike. Really changed the way my bike looks. I wish I knew how to post pictures from my phone.

Drmojo
07-07-2019, 11:01 AM

this bike begs for rich silvery goodness
silver hubs rims and spokes
WI hubs
any decent silver rim
and...
Old Tater build!!!

Bisquik
07-07-2019, 01:54 PM
I think your best bet is to sell it to your coworker and let him tackle the wheelset conundrum.

oldpotatoe
07-07-2019, 02:15 PM
Ah, geeez, get some tubulars ya farging nancy and be done with it...yeegads!!

jtbadge
07-14-2019, 05:18 PM
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=237002

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697978108&stc=1&d=1556152406