PDA

View Full Version : OT: CBD oil for knee pain

cmg
06-26-2019, 11:21 AM
I'm at the beginning of where the knee pain doesn't stop, just reduces in intensity. Starting to effect the sleeping pattern. Anybody tried CBD oil/products for pain management? how effective is it? Does effect anything else, side effects? yea, I'm old and overweight, what a surprise.

Mzilliox
06-26-2019, 11:24 AM
I do not use CBD oil for pain, i have heard mixed results. Some folks i know will swear by it and know it works, some folks i know tried it for ages and never found it helps. like smoking weed, people react in different ways, have different receptors, etc etc.

there is one way to find out if CBD works for you, try it. as far as i know, the side effects are minimal to none. i do know it helps many people deal with pain in the way that it helps you ignore pain. however i do not think it helps alleviate symptoms causing pain.

there is still not enough real research into the topic as that would be deemed inappropriate by folks who prefer to tell other folks how the proper way to live is.

buddybikes
06-26-2019, 11:46 AM
I have severe diabetic neuropathy and major back issues, just made me groggy. Everyone and brother is putting the stuff out there, selling in in RI at corner gas station. Buyer beware. Expensive stuff

Ortho would start you with steroid shot, then perhaps synvisc. Personally I liked synvisc and significantly helped after mensicus surgery. Wife had few injections and never needed again. Unfortunately our insurance won't cover it anymore, says it doesn't work. Guess we personally don't count.

Bentley
06-26-2019, 11:58 AM
I’ve been using it for a stiff neck for about 1yr. It not so much a pain reliever as something that takes the edge off. I struggle with my neck on long rides, no problem with the CBD oil. I also take a 100mg of Tumeric daily. I have a CBD Oil stick that also helps. No side effects, some folks say it helps with sleep.

MagicHour
06-26-2019, 12:08 PM
"Takes the edge off" is a good way to describe it. I have a couple topicals by CBD For Life and Lord Jones...for minor, minor muscles nits and aches - sure it sorta works. Is it the CBD? or the menthol/camphor also in it? I dunno? Maybe Tiger Balm or BioFreeze is just as effective? YMMV.

For serious pain/biomechanical issues might be prudent to look into PT or Ortho to see what you can do there. Stretching, pt and core exercises, yoga, foam rolling etc can be a big help too.

I’ve been using it for a stiff neck for about 1yr. It not so much a pain reliever as something that takes the edge off. I struggle with my neck on long rides, no problem with the CBD oil. I also take a 100mg of Tumeric daily. I have a CBD Oil stick that also helps. No side effects, some folks say it helps with sleep.

bigbill
06-26-2019, 01:13 PM
I've done the Synvisc injections and they helped. I take 15mg of Meloxicam each morning and sometimes some CBD honey in the evening. I use the Farmhouse Hemp CBD, about 20mg per teaspoon of honey. It's all good, my knees sound bad but don't really hurt.

2LeftCleats
06-26-2019, 01:29 PM
Do you know the source of your knee pain? That would be a good first step. Depending on the underlying issue, you might benefit from PT. Or as others have suggested, steroid or Synvisc injections may buy you some time if it’s wear and tear (neither helped me). Nothing to be lost by trying CBD however. Results vary, in part because it’s the Wild West out there in terms of knowing how much active ingredient you’re getting.

cmg
06-26-2019, 01:50 PM
Do you know the source of your knee pain? No, i don't, going to Doc next week. Unfortunately Docs have a tendency to recommend surgery because my insurance will pay. It's an easy call to make.

biker72
06-26-2019, 02:48 PM
CBD can be a little expensive depending on the strength. I found an online source that works well and costs about half what I pay locally. The problem is CBD isn't regulated so you take your chances.

I've had an ongoing leg problem for over a year. With some stretching, a roller and CBD oil I can keep the pain in check. Advil can help a lot but I've been told by my Nephrologist to avoid it.

Plum Hill
06-26-2019, 02:55 PM
Voltaren gel 2% or Pennsaid 2% (ungodly expensive).
Had a thread here a while back.
Had constant pain from TKR. Voltaren 2% essentially nixed the pain.

redir
06-26-2019, 03:01 PM
"...you might not believe this, little fella
But it'll cure your asthma too..."

Dave
06-26-2019, 04:38 PM
Nothing wrong with surgery, if the pain is from a torn meniscus. I've had 3 of those. A doc will usually take x-rays before moving on to an MRI. If you have little or no joint space, the x-ray alone tells the story.

I had knee pain and little joint space back in 2010. I put up with it for 7 years before getting my knees replaced. Synvisc did little for me and insurance will usually only allow one series of shots every 6 months.

daker13
06-26-2019, 05:01 PM
I take a cbd capsule to help me fall asleep sometimes. It helps me fall asleep, doesn't keep me asleep--but I don't feel groggy in the morning, as I do with melatonin. Some people have good results with cbd salve for pain.

It's often expensive but I poked around and found that Sunsoil (formerly Green Mountain cbd) is relatively inexpensive and very good quality. I order from them. Not affiliated with them, etc. but I like that they seem relatively ethical and are from my neck of the woods (VT).

BryanE
06-26-2019, 05:30 PM
Waste of money for me.
Did nothing for my arthritic hands.

oldpotatoe
06-26-2019, 05:35 PM
Wife uses it on her wonky back and I use it on my wrist/thumb..works VERY well, no side effects. Apothica or similar, Amazon.

eddief
06-26-2019, 05:44 PM
then get a second opinion after that. i heard if you rub cbd on you weiner then you'll forget about your knee.

Do you know the source of your knee pain? No, i don't, going to Doc next week. Unfortunately Docs have a tendency to recommend surgery because my insurance will pay. It's an easy call to make.

Hilltopperny
06-26-2019, 06:10 PM
I've been using it combined with thc for chronic pain issues that used to have me on heavy pain killers for about four years now. I feel much better and more like myself then I did on the opioids.

I would also suggest some sort of physical therapy. The CBD/THC help with pain and sleep, but without figuring out the root cause the pain will likely increase over time.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Dave B
06-26-2019, 06:13 PM
then get a second opinion after that. i heard if you rub cbd on you weiner then you'll forget about your knee.

It’s true, but so hard to do that while riding.

;)

Likes2ridefar
06-26-2019, 07:32 PM
I'm at the beginning of where the knee pain doesn't stop, just reduces in intensity. Starting to effect the sleeping pattern. Anybody tried CBD oil/products for pain management? how effective is it? Does effect anything else, side effects? yea, I'm old and overweight, what a surprise.

Instead of wasting money on overpriced and overhyped snake oil, I’d recommend losing weight. That is free to do, maybe will even save you some $, and is proven to reduce the stress on knees, which in turn should reduce or maybe even eliminate the knee pain.

jimcav
06-26-2019, 07:39 PM
Not for knee but neck pain. Doesn’t go away but makes it livable. Pure CBD. I prob wasted $300 trying diff brands. Select CBD worked for me but I have to do 60mg. Some brands have been around and are reviewed or tested and I’d start by seeking those, not just buying what might be convenient. Good luck because pain sucks and my doctors over the last 6 years just threw Percocet or tramodol at me if Motrin, Mobic, etc didn’t relieve the pain

JAGI410
06-26-2019, 08:00 PM
I've used the Floyds of Leadville CBD in 3 forms. The standard, the full spectrum, and the rub. They all seem to help with aches, pains, and sleep. The full spectrum stuff does make me a little "off" or sleepy so that's best taken at night. The rub works well and smells nice without leaving my skin too oily.

use code "highcyclist" for 15% off. Most of their products are on QBP too, so ask your LBS to get some.

toytech
06-26-2019, 08:17 PM
I have used dosist 2-1 thc cbd with good results for back spasms(severe enough to dislocate a rib on occasion. Comes in a vape pen that vibrates when measured dose is hit. Not enough for a buzz but excellent for the spasm. And good sleep lol. I love California :banana:

Louis
06-26-2019, 08:31 PM
"I'm Gonna Put it On"

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a4/37/96/a437967e73a3757ab6e079b34fc23386.jpg

Moorecw
06-26-2019, 08:46 PM
Wife and I have been using gel caps and topicals for sleep and inflammation for about 2 years. Definitely helps us with sleep. I use it on my neck since I had neck fusion surgery 3 years ago. After long days on the bike it really helps with pain/swelling of my neck.

We also give it to our dog during storms to help with her anxiety.

We are believers and use Floyd’s of Leadville full spectrum.

MilanoTom
06-27-2019, 11:29 AM
I tried it for my messed up achilles tendons and couldn't tell any difference. My 70-year-old hockey-playing brother (who I'm surprised would even touch anything related to cannabis) tried it for his knees and thinks it's amazing.

Tom

jacobslide
06-27-2019, 11:53 AM
There has been some research done that CBD is not nearly as effective if it's not combined with THC.

Even if it's a non psychoactive amount of THC, it should work more effectively when they're in concert.

dddd
06-27-2019, 01:06 PM
Instead of wasting money on overpriced and overhyped snake oil, I’d recommend losing weight. That is free to do, maybe will even save you some $, and is proven to reduce the stress on knees, which in turn should reduce or maybe even eliminate the knee pain.

That is worth mentioning because, even before any significant weight-loss and load-reduction has occurred, the blood chemistry has already improved, tending to reduce the perhaps-excessive, systemic inflammatory response.

The results might begin to be noticeable in just a day or two.

This is why some inflammatory conditions respond so well to exercise, in that exercise is firstly an accelerated fasting process.
The key here is managing to exercise for a good duration without irritating the aflicted tissues, so creativity and of course moderation is key.

RFC
07-11-2019, 04:19 PM
"...you might not believe this, little fella
But it'll cure your asthma too..."

That is right.

During hay fever season, I develop asthma symptoms. Working out during that time feels like I'm wearing a high altitude mask.

A couple of months ago, I started vaping CBD and it helps a good deal and reduces my reliance on an albuterol inhaler.

Both CBD and THC are bronchodilators.

Or, as one emergency room MD said to me, "When a kid has an asthma attack, the best thing you can do is give him a joint."

cmg
07-11-2019, 10:37 PM
the CBD oil helps with going to sleep. a little faster than usual. went to doctor, going to ortho in the next 10 days. hoping for non-cortisol solution, maybe out patient treatment. yea, got the lose weight will help lecture, working on it. we'll see.

Tabl10s
07-12-2019, 10:39 AM
Voltaren gel 2% or Pennsaid 2% (ungodly expensive).
Had a thread here a while back.
Had constant pain from TKR. Voltaren 2% essentially nixed the pain.

My VA Dr with whom I play Table Tennis, mentioned Voltaren on Monday. Got to get some as I have both Osteo and Rheumatoid Arthritis with multiple tears in each Meniscus from cycling and TT.

Cat3roadracer
07-12-2019, 10:58 AM
CBD cream works great on poison ivy.

cmg
09-27-2019, 01:44 PM
here's the follow up. Might help others. So after a trip to the Doc's, he sent to have 6 weeks of Physical therapy. I said no to cortisone. So i thought, How is exercise going to elevate the pain of missing/deteriorating cartilage? While the 30 day supple of de-inflammation of Meloxicam worked so did the physical therapy. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube+exercises+for+knee+pain&view=detail&mid=CC5E585B764806E4FBEFCC5E585B764806E4FBEF&FORM=VIRE we did most if not all of these. it's the imbalance of the damaged knee that throws the body off whack. While the pain did not completely disappear, it did reduce it signifantly, now it's manageable. and yes i got the lecture on diet and exercise, going to be trying to lose some weight as well.

Octave
10-15-2019, 07:05 AM
Preface: I'm a neuroscientist who works in a cannabinoid lab. We have done a lot with CBD and I spend my days reading/writing about it.

Topical CBD without carrying agents like DMSO is total nonsense. Any effect people are experiencing is because they are rubbing on a cream, stimulating blood flow - not an effect of CBD.

Oral CBD has been shown, in some conditions, to help with inflammation - the key here is some conditions. They other key, which is always left out of CBD discussions, is dose. Take a look through the published studies and you'll see that effective doses of CBD range from 150-400mg/day oral. I can count the studies with positive findings at less than thoses doses on one hand, and they're for very specific conditions like childhood epilepsy. The stuff most people are buying and using these days is in the range of 10s of milligrams. Or in vapes, at a concentration such that you'd have to be vaping 10ml of the stuff per day to get an effect.

The CBD world is rife with hyperbole, over-extension of small findings, and then total snake-oil hawking. It is also a known hormone modulator, interferes with some of the important enzymes that also help you process other drugs like birth control and anxiolytics, and tends to build up in your system if used frequently since it is highly lipophilic and has a long half-life. Proceeed with caution..

redir
10-15-2019, 07:48 AM
Preface: I'm a neuroscientist who works in a cannabinoid lab. We have done a lot with CBD and I spend my days reading/writing about it.

Topical CBD without carrying agents like DMSO is total nonsense. Any effect people are experiencing is because they are rubbing on a cream, stimulating blood flow - not an effect of CBD.

Oral CBD has been shown, in some conditions, to help with inflammation - the key here is some conditions. They other key, which is always left out of CBD discussions, is dose. Take a look through the published studies and you'll see that effective doses of CBD range from 150-400mg/day oral. I can count the studies with positive findings at less than thoses doses on one hand, and they're for very specific conditions like childhood epilepsy. The stuff most people are buying and using these days is in the range of 10s of milligrams. Or in vapes, at a concentration such that you'd have to be vaping 10ml of the stuff per day to get an effect.

The CBD world is rife with hyperbole, over-extension of small findings, and then total snake-oil hawking. It is also a known hormone modulator, interferes with some of the important enzymes that also help you process other drugs like birth control and anxiolytics, and tends to build up in your system if used frequently since it is highly lipophilic and has a long half-life. Proceeed with caution..

Thankyou for the voice of reason, or shall I say science.

That is right.

During hay fever season, I develop asthma symptoms. Working out during that time feels like I'm wearing a high altitude mask.

A couple of months ago, I started vaping CBD and it helps a good deal and reduces my reliance on an albuterol inhaler.

Both CBD and THC are bronchodilators.

Or, as one emergency room MD said to me, "When a kid has an asthma attack, the best thing you can do is give him a joint."

Ha! Well my post was a quote from a Frank Zappa song about a guy who was selling snake oil but... I have heard that too. Also I believe they used to give Jimsonweed (smoked) to patients with TB and other lung issues. The idea of smoking something to help with lung issues today is crazy but back then it seemed to work.

Walter
10-15-2019, 08:47 AM
I have wrestled with knee issues for several years. I suffer from reduced surface cartilage.

4-5 years ago I did the "goop" shots. I had Euflexxa, although many use Synvisc. It helped tremendously. I was symptom free for 4+ years.

I cannot use any steroid due to glaucoma in one eye. Many friends have had the steroid shots and the help was short-lived. It also diminishes surface cartilage.

The issues flared up again in both knees recently. CBD did not seem to help (since I am bone on bone I did not expect it to - for different knee maladies it may be great). I do sleep a lot better.

I just had 3 shot another round of Euflexxa. Still wait and see.

cmg
10-15-2019, 09:01 AM
I have wrestled with knee issues for several years. I suffer from reduced surface cartilage.

4-5 years ago I did the "goop" shots. I had Euflexxa, although many use Synvisc. It helped tremendously. I was symptom free for 4+ years.

I cannot use any steroid due to glaucoma in one eye. Many friends have had the steroid shots and the help was short-lived. It also diminishes surface cartilage.

The issues flared up again in both knees recently. CBD did not seem to help (since I am bone on bone I did not expect it to - for different knee maladies it may be great). I do sleep a lot better.

I just had 3 shot another round of Euflexxa. Still wait and see.

So what is the duration of a single shot, 2 years? same here on the reduced surface cartilage. x-rays don't look pretty.

buddybikes
10-15-2019, 09:21 AM
Piece on CNN last Sunday talking about CBD craze summary:
1. Lot of what is bought on street contained no CBD
2. One researcher noted that the chemical breakdown of CBD in the liver causes basically a supercharger to any other stuff being broken down in liver such as meds. This could get outright dangerous if you are on meds broken down by liver (be interesting to see a study (not human) of mixing CBD with Tylenol full dosage)

jadedaid
10-15-2019, 02:42 PM
I hope you're having success with your current approach, I'm one of those who view CBD as downright magic. I've torn three ligaments in my knee (repaired with debatable success), slap tear in the shoulder, damaged AC joint and have ac joint arthritis. I can well relate to the sentiment that the pain doesn't go away but only reduces.

CBD helps take that pain to more to '1' or '2' on a scale of 10 from what would otherwise me a '3' or a '4'. Every day is different but it always seems to help. I do find that if I take it every day it's effect is lessened but it does work.

I don't think it is placebo - if it is, it's been helping for a while and I'm grateful for it. Interesting to read the comment from Octave who suggests that the dosages used are insufficient (and I fall in that category, I'd normally be in the 30mg a dose range). Will need to find out more about the hormonal regulation.

gasman
10-15-2019, 03:06 PM

Thank you for the science ! I've been saying there's a lot of snake oil in CBD purported benefits.

BobbyJones
10-15-2019, 09:11 PM
I've gone from a hype skeptic to kinda believer. I would never buy the stuff next to the ED and hangover cures at the convenience stores, so this may seem like a shill for a particular brand, but its the only experience I've got with the stuff.

Was recently away from home doing some mountain riding and running. My hosts had some product by Velosport (made for athletes: "Our CBD soft gel capsules contain 0% THC, which we guaranteed and is WADA approved.").

Capsules (ingested) helped with general post-activity soreness. Enough that I noticed it. However, the topically applied balm didn't do anything noticeable for a few specific acute overuse issues that popped up.

If anyone has had similar success with another, less expensive brand, I'd love to hear it. At over $2.50 a dose, I'm not so sure its worth it as I kinda like the soreness after a good workout. Makes me feel alive!

duff_duffy
10-15-2019, 10:19 PM
Kinda related but maybe not....I truly thought my knees were shot and running days long over. Went on Keto diet (I thought I created the Keto diet until I told someone what I was doing and turns out it was this diet) lost 45 pounds in about 4 months and began walking .5 mile day at start of weight loss (all because of weight loss challenge at work). 9 months later weight is still off, running about 10 miles a day with zero knee pain and eating more than you can imagine. For me, I think the extra 45 lbs was killing my knees. Now can run, bike, hike with no knee pain. For me, diet and exercise fixed my problem without drugs or surgery. Several docs and PT friends gave me all kinds of other ways to fix the problem but basic diet and exercise worked - miracle cure for me, your results may vary.

Octave
10-16-2019, 04:33 AM
Was recently away from home doing some mountain riding and running. My hosts had some product by Velosport (made for athletes: "Our CBD soft gel capsules contain 0% THC, which we guaranteed and is WADA approved.").This one is a bit hard to suss out since they don't actually list the dosage of CBD in those capsules. They list the total weight (1500mg) of the capsule and then for the ingredients they state 450mg of hemp oil and 50mg of hemp extract (which is further confusing, since the oil is an extract...). But since it is not purified, you could be experiencing effects that have less to do with CBD and more to do with other cannabinoids. There are more than 100 pharmacologically active compounds in cannabis/hemp and many of them have properties that would be helpful in recovery.

One also has to consider the "entourage effect" which is basically another way of saying "more than the sum of its parts" - cannabinoids work in concert with eachother at a molecular level to modulate the endocannabinoid system (our naturally produced cannabinoids, amongst the most abundant neurotransmitters/signaling molecules in our brain and body) which is why most studies show that CBD works much better as a whole-plant extract than a purified, isolated form. In fact, in the most successful studies thus far in humans doses of CBD are usually paired with miniscule amounts of THC (such as 100mg CBD and 1mg THC) for this very reason.

jimcav
10-16-2019, 07:25 AM
I like others have some significant arthritis issues in neck and thoracic spine and shoulder. it is ever-present as a deep ache and can get bad and really hinder me when ido something that flares it. Sleep was my big issue as i was willing to push through the "empty-mile" stiffness and pain and with activity it gets better. anyway, my doctors threw tramadol and percocet and a host of NSAIDs at me, and lunesta and ambien. I tried about $300-400 worth of different CBD tinctures (under tongue drops) and capsuels. 2 worked, 3 didn't. one had too much THC for my preference. What works for me is pure CBP from select CBD and also a 20:1 tincture from a brand i don't recall, and the dispensary here in So Cal doesn't have it now. in fact the frustrating thing is they have diff stuff each time i go, and the trend seems to be more THC content. Anyway, for me, it takes 40-60 mg of CBD to work, and as i use it i get by with the lower end, and if i run out, i start over at the higher end. I sleep better and the pain is much less "present" as i try to fall asleep and also less at the start of rides and jogs/hikes--oh and the stairs first thing in the morning are less stiff and awkward. Basically I rarely require the prescription meds now. I now know there are difference in how the CBD is extracted but don't now if that accounts for he wide disparity in what works and doesn't. The place i buy has the certified analysis on content--it isn't very clear if the CBD comes from hemp vs cannabis, and from what i've read that may not matter for the biological effect. Good luck to all dealing with pain and its consequences on sleep and activity.

Walter
10-16-2019, 07:46 AM
So what is the duration of a single shot, 2 years? same here on the reduced surface cartilage. x-rays don't look pretty.

I cannot speak to the one shot results. My ortho folks recommended the 3 shot series. The first go round made me good for 4-5 years.

I asked this time how long would it last. The answer was we do not know.

oldpotatoe
10-16-2019, 08:03 AM
Preface: I'm a neuroscientist who works in a cannabinoid lab.
We have done a lot with CBD and I spend my days reading/writing about it.

So does your lab test it? Make it? Sell it? Debunk it? Provide advice to those who do make it/sell it?

Octave
10-16-2019, 08:16 AM
So does your lab test it? Make it? Sell it? Debunk it? Provide advice to those who do make it/sell it?Ours is a neuroscience laboratory studying the development of the endocannabinoid system. Our focus is largely on prenatal and early-life developmental effects of cannabis (i.e. offspring of mothers who smoke during pregnancy or breastfeeding, or developmental effects of cannabis consumption during adolescence). We do a mix of electrophysiology, behavioral testing, genetic analysis (qPCR, RNAseq..etc.) and calcium-imaging of neuronal populations. Some of our work is "basic pharmacology" which means figuring out what effect cannabinoids have on synaptic function.

CBD is a particularly promiscuous drug (i.e. it has a lot of biological targets) and anyone who tells you they know how it works is either a) lying or b) misinformed. We collaborate with lots of other labs that are studying CBD and it has many possible mechanisms including at serotonin receptors, cannabinoid receptors, nuclear receptors like PPARy, TRPV receptors....etc. It also impacts enzyme function and, as mentioned, hormone regulation. But how much of that contributes to its overall effects is still largely unknown.

cbbr
10-16-2019, 08:20 AM
I tried it, but it had no discernible effect. My kees are high mileage for my age and I'm getting pretty old.

redir
10-16-2019, 08:54 AM

Just had a thought. So if it is lipophilic and builds up in the system could it be that people report positive results after some time because of that? Or when it dissolves in fat does it change it's chemical structure?

Octave
10-16-2019, 09:19 AM
Just had a thought. So if it is lipophilic and builds up in the system could it be that people report positive results after some time because of that? Or when it dissolves in fat does it change it's chemical structure?
Yes, this is what we'd refer to pharmacokinetically as a "loading dose" phase. Since the half-life of CBD is pretty long (18hr for fast metabolizers, >30hr for slow), plasma levels build up over time. And both CBD and its metabolites are lipophilic, so your adipose tissue stores both the active compound and its byproducts. From the studies that have been done, chronic CBD and acute CBD definitely don't have the same effects. For inflammation, for instance, chronic dosing seems to work better. For some other effects (like craving inhibition in addicts, or situational anxiety), acute dosing seems to work just fine. That also has to do with the aforementioned pharmacology of CBD having multiple targets: those targets are all activated by different concentrations of the drug, so what we see with an acute dose will probably be different from a chronic dose where plasma concentrations have risen enough..

jh_on_the_cape
10-16-2019, 09:53 AM
I put powdered "hemp protein" in my smoothies in the morning. Would a hemp protein powder contain any pharmocologically active compounds?

Of course, the label says nothing...

https://www.bobsredmill.com/hemp-protein-powder.html

I am going to try topical creme on my knees (ultrarunner) because the mild pain has started to slow me down on long descents. I stretch, cannot lose much more weight, but it's just overuse at this point. But I don't want to run less or more slowly... for now. This thread will hopefully help me when I walk in to the store.

Merci for sharing your knowledge

This one is a bit hard to suss out since they don't actually list the dosage of CBD in those capsules. They list the total weight (1500mg) of the capsule and then for the ingredients they state 450mg of hemp oil and 50mg of hemp extract (which is further confusing, since the oil is an extract...). But since it is not purified, you could be experiencing effects that have less to do with CBD and more to do with other cannabinoids. There are more than 100 pharmacologically active compounds in cannabis/hemp and many of them have properties that would be helpful in recovery.

One also has to consider the "entourage effect" which is basically another way of saying "more than the sum of its parts" - cannabinoids work in concert with eachother at a molecular level to modulate the endocannabinoid system (our naturally produced cannabinoids, amongst the most abundant neurotransmitters/signaling molecules in our brain and body) which is why most studies show that CBD works much better as a whole-plant extract than a purified, isolated form. In fact, in the most successful studies thus far in humans doses of CBD are usually paired with miniscule amounts of THC (such as 100mg CBD and 1mg THC) for this very reason.

cmg
10-16-2019, 01:40 PM
Here are some chemicals that may reduce the swelling/inflammation associated with arthritis, Meloxicam, ibuprofen and Moringa. Moringa is the latest natural miracle drug and like CBD oil is said to cure everything.

Octave
10-17-2019, 04:24 AM
I put powdered "hemp protein" in my smoothies in the morning. Would a hemp protein powder contain any pharmocologically active compounds?

Of course, the label says nothing...

https://www.bobsredmill.com/hemp-protein-powder.htmlHemp protein like this is made from the seeds, which do not contain any significant quantities of pharmacologically active compounds. You can find a handful of studies that say they do, but they're mostly the result of the seeds not being washed/processed and coming from high-potency cannabis. In the case of hemp protein it's coming from low-content cannabis plants to begin with, and then the seeds are washed, processed and powdered. Definitely not going to be containing an active dose of CBD.

jh_on_the_cape
10-17-2019, 06:50 AM
Hemp protein like this is made from the seeds, which do not contain any significant quantities of pharmacologically active compounds. You can find a handful of studies that say they do, but they're mostly the result of the seeds not being washed/processed and coming from high-potency cannabis. In the case of hemp protein it's coming from low-content cannabis plants to begin with, and then the seeds are washed, processed and powdered. Definitely not going to be containing an active dose of CBD.Thanks! I was told the hemp protein sales is a by product of the CBD boom.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

oldpotatoe
10-17-2019, 06:56 AM
Ours is a neuroscience laboratory studying the development of the endocannabinoid system. Our focus is largely on prenatal and early-life developmental effects of cannabis (i.e. offspring of mothers who smoke during pregnancy or breastfeeding, or developmental effects of cannabis consumption during adolescence). We do a mix of electrophysiology, behavioral testing, genetic analysis (qPCR, RNAseq..etc.) and calcium-imaging of neuronal populations. Some of our work is "basic pharmacology" which means figuring out what effect cannabinoids have on synaptic function.

CBD is a particularly promiscuous drug (i.e. it has a lot of biological targets) and anyone who tells you they know how it works is either a) lying or b) misinformed. We collaborate with lots of other labs that are studying CBD and it has many possible mechanisms including at serotonin receptors, cannabinoid receptors, nuclear receptors like PPARy, TRPV receptors....etc. It also impacts enzyme function and, as mentioned, hormone regulation. But how much of that contributes to its overall effects is still largely unknown.

I know the 'weed' industry is new but I wonder if there are places that do this level of research on alcohol...
I see you are in France also..is marijuana legal in France?

Octave
10-17-2019, 08:30 AM
Thanks! I was told the hemp protein sales is a by product of the CBD boom.Hemp protein has been around for ages - its a great vegan-friendly protein source. I remember using it about 15 years ago when I was starting to race, long before the CBD boom. I think the Hemp Bill in the US meant to revitalize hemp production (for fiber, feed, oil..etc.) probably has the most to do with it.
I know the 'weed' industry is new but I wonder if there are places that do this level of research on alcohol...
I see you are in France also..is marijuana legal in France?We've been doing cannabis/cannabinoid research since long before it was recreationally legal in the US. The "weed industry" hasn't really had any impact on our research, aside from more non-scientists reading our publications.

Marijauna is not legal in France, no. We are an academic research lab, the legality only becomes an issue for grant applications etc. Since it is still federally illegal in the US, research is equally difficult here and there.