PDA

View Full Version : Logo removal

duff_duffy
06-25-2019, 12:12 PM
Anyone have any tips on how to remove the Ultegra logos from these wheels? I like the wheels but hate logos...it’s not a sticker. Was going to try nail polish remover but that’s a long project. Hoping for some kind of quick solution someone may know. Thanks!

jtakeda
06-25-2019, 12:13 PM
I bet 10 mins with nail polish remover gets those decals off

kppolich
06-25-2019, 12:22 PM
take tires off. Magic Eraser + good acetone should be under 10 mins for both wheels.

Peter P.
06-25-2019, 08:40 PM
take tires off. Magic Eraser + good acetone should be under 10 mins for both wheels.

Use caution with acetone. Full strength acetone might remove the black finish as well.

If the tire bed surface of the rim is black as well, remove the tire and test the acetone there.

Also know that if you buy nail polish remover (it contains acetone), you can get it in various strengths; you can even get an acetone-free nail polish remover. I suggest you start with the weakest formula (usually labeled "original") and work up from there.

awdwon
06-25-2019, 10:29 PM
I just took some graphics off my wheels with a product called EZ Strip, picked it up at Lowe’s. I tried acetone and didn’t really work that well for me. Just put a thick layer of the ez strip on the graphics and let sit over night, wiped off with a wet rag in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

loxx0050
06-26-2019, 09:24 AM
I'd personally just tape up the spokes/nipples and the brake track then spray it with some plastidip. When that wears out just peel it off like a sticker and repeat. Without seeing how the wheel decals are on there in person (either painted on the surface or below the clear coat) it could be easy or very labor intensive to remove them permanently.

GOTHBROOKS
06-26-2019, 11:55 AM
i had some of those shimano rs20 wheels and just peeled the logo decals off by hand. what sticky residue was left over came off with some simple green and a rag. this was almost a decade ago but im sure the ultegra ones come off just as easy. like, has there really been any advancement in decal technology since then?

Dead Man
06-26-2019, 04:13 PM
different paints dissolve differently with different solvents... ive had acetone strip enamel/paint decals off in seconds, others not so well, and some not even slightly. i'd try hardware store acetone- "nail polish remover" is watered down and is WAY more expensive ounce for ounce. if it doesnt make the paint run pretty much immediately, give up or try a different solvent. MEK seems to eat just about anything, but is nasty stuff.. for example.. just depends on your level of commitment i spose