PDA

View Full Version : I'm taking my first disc brake bike out for a ride today

Blown Reek
06-25-2019, 06:32 AM
And I'm finally going to see what all the nonsense is about. Dura Ace mechanical shifting, Dura Ace hydro calipers and 25c tubulars mounted on a set of 303s- nothing more than a disc-equipped road bike 'cause I'm nothing more than a paved road rider. I'm expecting nothing more than a life altering experience that will make me rethink my role as a human within the cosmos.

https://i.giphy.com/media/xT0xeJpnrWC4XWblEk/giphy.mp4

oldpotatoe
06-25-2019, 06:41 AM
And I'm finally going to see what all the nonsense is about. Dura Ace mechanical shifting, Dura Ace hydro calipers and 25c tubulars mounted on a set of 303s- nothing more than a disc-equipped road bike 'cause I'm nothing more than a paved road rider. I'm expecting nothing more than a life altering experience that will make me rethink my role as a human within the cosmos.

Not only that, you will shun the very sight of yourself in a mirror as you even think about your non
-disc brake
-thru axle
-1by
-fat tired
-tubeless shod
-plastic

bike..

and don't forget that dropper post!!!:eek:

johnniecakes
06-25-2019, 06:42 AM
Or you will think what I did the first time I rode a disc equipped bike. Squeezed the levers and I stopped or slowed down, depending on how hard/long I squeezed the levers. Same as it ever was.

oldpotatoe
06-25-2019, 06:44 AM
Or you will think what I did the first time I rode a disc equipped bike. Squeezed the levers and I stopped or slowed down, depending on how hard/long I squeezed the levers. Same as it ever was.

but, but, but...isn't there a game somewhere in need of changing???

:)

charliedid
06-25-2019, 06:48 AM

Nice knowing you, those rotors are going to slice your head clean off. Sad

Blown Reek
06-25-2019, 07:15 AM
Nice knowing you, those rotors are going to slice your head clean off. Sad

Please be advised that my discs have chamfered edges so they are as safe as rotating fluffy puppies.

ChainNoise
06-25-2019, 07:17 AM

No, just a reason to line someone else's pockets

charliedid
06-25-2019, 07:21 AM
Please be advised that my discs have chamfered edges so they are as safe as rotating fluffy puppies.

Precious

thermalattorney
06-25-2019, 07:39 AM
All joking aside, make sure you bed in the brakes before passing judgement on whether or not they're life-changing. ;)

Cicli
06-25-2019, 07:48 AM
You will likely live forever.

According to the only bike shop in my area you need the following to survive.
1. At least 11 speed rear cassette. sHram or shimano only.
2. Disc brakes
3. Carbon frame
4. Tubeless tires.

The kid there told me that my 10 speed Record was the same as really cheap shimano because it had thumb shifters.

Glad you saw the future of cycling (from a marketing standpoint) :banana:

johnniecakes
06-25-2019, 07:57 AM
The kid there told me that my 10 speed Record was the same as really cheap shimano because it had thumb shifters :banana:

I recently had a similar sales boy tell me my Dean Ti with mechanical 11 speed and rim brakes needed to be upgraded to a Specialized carbon with electronic with discs. It would make a BIG difference in my riding.

Hilltopperny
06-25-2019, 07:59 AM
I've tried out a few disc bikes and currently have two with discs, but they are my mountain and gravel bikes. All of my road bikes are set up with rim brakes.

Truth be told I have had to either replace or maintain them way more than I ever had to with cantis or regular rim brakes. Warped an ice tech rotor on my Drifter and the Sram levers on both of my mountain bikes needed rebuilding after locking up out of nowhere.

Discs may stop a fraction faster and with less effort, but they can also be noisy and more costly.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

fignon's barber
06-25-2019, 08:17 AM

You won't notice the difference, until your first puncture.

Black Dog
06-25-2019, 08:32 AM

POTD but only if the game takes it to the "next level"!

Bentley
06-25-2019, 08:33 AM
You will likely live forever.

According to the only bike shop in my area you need the following to survive.
1. At least 11 speed rear cassette. sHram or shimano only.
2. Disc brakes
3. Carbon frame
4. Tubeless tires.

The kid there told me that my 10 speed Record was the same as really cheap shimano because it had thumb shifters.

Glad you saw the future of cycling (from a marketing standpoint) :banana:

I similarly had someone say the same thing about a Bianchi... said it was absolutely the best bike on the market. Clearly folks have opinions about equipment, not sure there is such a thing as the "best bike", for me the best bike is the one I am riding. BTW, if you decide to dispose of your "cheapo" group, let me know :)

Ray

Gummee
06-25-2019, 08:46 AM
Discs and gravel descents are a doGsend.

Discs and wet rides are a doGsend.

The rest of the time? All brakes do is slow you down.

Having said that, I'm moving to all disc, all the time in the garage 'cause I like things to be cross compatible not because I think discs are inherently better.

M

Davist
06-25-2019, 10:12 AM
Discs and gravel descents are a doGsend.

Discs and wet rides are a doGsend.

The rest of the time? All brakes do is slow you down.

Having said that, I'm moving to all disc, all the time in the garage 'cause I like things to be cross compatible not because I think discs are inherently better.

M

Uh, didn't you just say discs are inherently better in the wet and on gravel (I feel the same way).. I agree with the cross compatibility logic as well..

R3awak3n
06-25-2019, 10:25 AM
Will not be a popular opinion here. Now have 2 disc bikes and 2 non disc bikes.

Would take my disc bikes every time over the others. The bikes feel the same when ridding around but when its time to brake, its not even close.

I am a big guy, 2 weekends ago descending the local mountain. Can easily hit 45mph and probably much more... It was raining, rim brake bike, it was scary, not even on carbon and brakes on and bike was not stopping fast enough. With discs, would have not been a problem.

The thing about it is that people thinking cycling is all the same 1 person... oh you dont need discs, pros don't want them, I never had problems braking down this and that. However they are not you. More weight more braking power needed, less experience, more power helps.... Also the modulation is night and day and thats it. Add to the fact that I can put different size wheels and I am into it. Still keeping rim brake bikes around but if I had to sell rght now, the rim brake bikes would go the first.

Also campy hydro is insanely good. Sram is fine but not as good imo. Seriously impressed with campy hydro, it feels amazing in the hand and the braking is next to nothing I have used.

madsciencenow
06-25-2019, 10:36 AM
I've tried out a few disc bikes and currently have two with discs, but they are my mountain and gravel bikes. All of my road bikes are set up with rim brakes.

Truth be told I have had to either replace or maintain them way more than I ever had to with cantis or regular rim brakes. Warped an ice tech rotor on my Drifter and the Sram levers on both of my mountain bikes needed rebuilding after locking up out of nowhere.

Discs may stop a fraction faster and with less effort, but they can also be noisy and more costly.

Feelings and experience is/are similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R3awak3n
06-25-2019, 10:39 AM
interesting. I have now 1500 miles on my OPEN. Everything still works great. No maintenance at all (ok had to re-bleed rear but was because I did not do a good job first time around, front is still perfect). Rotors are perfect. No noise, no loss of power, changed one of the pads so far.

Had discs on my elephant but they were cable discs, now that stuff I can't recommend, they are aweful. Would take rim over cable disc brakes any day.

My advice is ride what you want, who cares what the peanut gallery likes or doesn't like but here you will always have the person saying you don't need them and although I agree with that sentiment, def no need but I do think they are better for my application, where and how I ride.

arik
06-25-2019, 12:04 PM
What I like about disc brakes is that you stop thinking about brakes, the braking just happens.

Clean39T
06-25-2019, 12:16 PM
What I like about disc brakes is that you stop thinking about brakes, the braking just happens.

So long as you don't forget to check the pads since they are out of sight/mind...on my first gravel race of the season, there were untold legions of riders DNF'ing due to pads wearing through and having no brakes...or maybe it was a convenient excuse given the conditions...still, bike maintenance is a thing no matter what brakes you ride...

R3awak3n
06-25-2019, 01:14 PM
So long as you don't forget to check the pads since they are out of sight/mind...on my first gravel race of the season, there were untold legions of riders DNF'ing due to pads wearing through and having no brakes...or maybe it was a convenient excuse given the conditions...still, bike maintenance is a thing no matter what brakes you ride...

no I agree with that. You have to make an effort to check because I do forget and then checked and pad was almost out.

Gummee
06-25-2019, 01:29 PM
Uh, didn't you just say discs are inherently better in the wet and on gravel (I feel the same way).. I agree with the cross compatibility logic as well..

As I was bombing down yet another gravel hill on Sat (Hilly Billy) I got to thinking 'this is so much easier on discs.' Last year, I'd ridden the same course on rim brakes so had a relatively recent point of reference.

For the road bikes in the garage, it's more a 'want' than a 'Need.'

Tests between rim and disc brakes have shown you stop your road bike in the same distance in the dry. It's the adverse conditions that make discs stand out. For commuters, people that ride in all weather, or on hilly to mountainous terrain I say 'go disc.' For 'normal' road riders that pretty much stick to riding when it's nice I say 'either one works.'

How's that for a good non-answer?

M

Hilltopperny
06-25-2019, 01:53 PM
I really like my disc brakes on the Drifter, but they squeal when any grit gets caught in the wet weather which is a bit annoying. I also found that I warped the front rotor when I was forced to really grab a handful of brake. Granted I am heavy, but wasn't expecting that to happen.

Reality is that I'd rather have a squeal than an inability to stop. I definitely use the Drifter for long gravel rides with rough descents. I also have two sets of carbon wheels for my disc bike which is an advantage vs carbon rim brake wheels in inclement weather.

I can see both sides of the coin. I do not see the need for discs on my road bike. Of course this is just my current opinion on the matter. I also prefer mechanical shifting and metal bikes the majority of the time. This is not to say that at some point my opinion can't be changed.

Duende
06-25-2019, 02:19 PM
I’m a big guy too, so definitely concur with R3awak3n’s post. However, I did just experience a brand new set of disc brake pads getting ruined by some oil on the street splashing in their. Turned them into the loudest noise makers you ever heard. Serious bummer. Campy brake pads ARE NOT cheap. So I’m super careful now

weisan
06-25-2019, 02:19 PM
Man, y'all are WAY TOO NICE to Blown pal....give him a taste of his own medicine!

:D

The same applies to Flash, Jerk and Peanut.

:rolleyes:

beeatnik
06-25-2019, 04:29 PM

Would take my disc bikes every time over the others. The bikes feel the same when ridding around but when its time to brake, its not even close.

I am a big guy, 2 weekends ago descending the local mountain. Can easily hit 45mph and probably much more... It was raining, rim brake bike, it was scary, not even on carbon and brakes on and bike was not stopping fast enough. With discs, would have not been a problem.

The thing about it is that people thinking cycling is all the same 1 person... oh you dont need discs, pros don't want them, I never had problems braking down this and that. However they are not you. More weight more braking power needed, less experience, more power helps.... Also the modulation is night and day and thats it. Add to the fact that I can put different size wheels and I am into it. Still keeping rim brake bikes around but if I had to sell rght now, the rim brake bikes would go the first.

Also campy hydro is insanely good. Sram is fine but not as good imo. Seriously impressed with campy hydro, it feels amazing in the hand and the braking is next to nothing I have used.

So disc for the following:

Brand loyalists (the type of cat who has to buy an S-Works Tarmac the day it's released)
Big guys (cos of more braking power?..mcmark enlighten us on this one)
New riders (disc, it's what's for dinner)
Sponsored riders (all of LegionLA is on disc www.instagram.com/l39ion.la )

The following not on disc:
Pro climbers
Cats who bought 10 bikes before 2015
The CEO Club members who ride the World Famous Montrose(this one has been a constant surprise)
https://www.lamag.com/longform/david-lee-san-gabriel-valley-businessman/

https://live.staticflickr.com/3862/15022831392_56d488241a_b.jpg

Louis
06-25-2019, 04:31 PM
https://cdnimg.webstaurantstore.com/images/products/large/34695/1843827.jpg

R3awak3n
06-25-2019, 04:41 PM
So disc for the following:

Brand loyalists (the type of cat who has to buy an S-Works Tarmac the day it's released)
Big guys (cos of more braking power?..mcmark enlighten us on this one)
New riders (disc, it's what's for dinner)
Sponsored riders (all of LegionLA is on disc www.instagram.com/l39ion.la )

The following not on disc:
Pro climbers
Cats who bought 10 bikes before 2015
The CEO Club members who ride the World Famous Montrose(this one has been a constant surprise)
https://www.lamag.com/longform/david-lee-san-gabriel-valley-businessman/

https://live.staticflickr.com/3862/15022831392_56d488241a_b.jpg

100%. Big guys will love disc, just so much better. And I don't mean dudes that are 160 lbs, thats not big... Like 200lbs +

ERK55
06-25-2019, 05:02 PM
I have some nice rim brake bikes. (all Campy)
I have some nice disc brake bikes. (all Shimano)

I'll reach for the rim brake bike almost every time. Maybe 'cause they're Campy and the hoods feel 'way better to me.

Then again I don't go out of my way to ride in the rain.

Ken Robb
06-25-2019, 05:06 PM

Why would any sane person ride at 45mph down a mountain road in the rain? Last guy to the coffee shop has to buy? :rolleyes::)

peanutgallery
06-25-2019, 05:20 PM
With all the arthritis that comes with age you'd think roadies would be all over disc brakes:)

One finger braking for arthritic hands with extra room for wide, comfortable tires. It pretty hard to beat, give it whirl

R3awak3n
06-25-2019, 05:40 PM
Why would any sane person ride at 45mph down a mountain road in the rain? Last guy to the coffee shop has to buy? :rolleyes::)

yeah I certainly was not doing that, but was pretty hard to slow the bike down. WHen its dry trying to go under 40 is hard on that road. Just saying that very wet, crazy downhill, rim brakes, big rider and not pro makes for a not so fun and a bit scary downhill descent. Discs make it less scary imo. Again not needed but glad to have them... I just did that dry last weekend and was a pleasure.

R3awak3n
06-25-2019, 05:40 PM
I have some nice rim brake bikes. (all Campy)
I have some nice disc brake bikes. (all Shimano)

I'll reach for the rim brake bike almost every time. Maybe 'cause they're Campy and the hoods feel 'way better to me.

Then again I don't go out of my way to ride in the rain.

check out the campy hydro... starting to get cheap if you do 11 speed... h11 and potenza. They are amazing, you would be grabbing the disc bike everytime

Blown Reek
06-25-2019, 06:08 PM
Consider me impressed.

However, the weirdest part to get used to is the complete lack of feel of the rim through the brakes. I've ridden every surface out there- aluminum (back when that was the only choice), Mavic Ceramic coating, old-school texture free carbon, Exalith, Showstopper, Enve textured, iTgMAX... you name it and I've ridden it, and they all have their own feel. However, with discs, there is none of that, which is a first. Also, since I'm a big brake-feel guy, lever feel is important, 'cause there isn't anything worse than a spongy lever, and once I felt a properly bled set of hydraulic brakes, I figured I'd give them a try.

Building the bike was a little different, only because I've never worked on a bike with hydraulic lines, and I was a little gun-shy, but after staring at the bike for a week-and-a-half in my stand and slowly building it up, it's completely easy. Given, the internal routing of carbon bikes with discs is a little trickier than setting up a rim brake bike, and when coupled with my bike building/maintenance OCD I wanted to make sure I got it right on the first try, but it all came together perfectly. No rotor/pad rub, no way-too-long lines and housing... nothing.

And there's something said for how absolutely cool all the mechanical parts act when you're riding- seeing the rotors turn, seeing the shadow of the discs on the pavement, the perfect little caliper just sitting there with the fins with the deli meat slicer going round and round... that was an added bonus. I'm sure that once an issue arises, the frustration of troubleshooting a problem will extinguish some stoke, but after spending a weekend gluing up seven (7) tubulars and huffing Mastik One, things like that are part of the game.

As for the braking itself, I'd put discs over rims any day, now that I've ridden them. Given, I have zero issues with braking in any given condition, but discs are just thatmuchbetter (which isn't a lot), but I'm sure that the first time I'm stuck in the rain (which I hate because I hate riding in rain, so I'm not looking to go out on a rain ride just because), I'll see the true benefit. And say what you will about something like aluminum rims, Ceramic coating, Cerakote, Exalith, Showstopper, AC3... they still don't stop in the rain as much as people romanticize.

Please don't take this momentary lapse of retro-grouchiness as acceptance of tubeless or tires over 25s, though. Someone's gotta draw a line somewhere.

Spoker
06-25-2019, 07:18 PM
Twice a week I'm descending a 7 mile / 6% mountain. Really hardly touch the brakes. If I would buy new, it would be tru axle -disc. But why spend the money?
Nice wheels-tires is where the experience pays off.