PDA

View Full Version : Keywin USers call...

ultraman6970
06-25-2019, 01:11 AM
Any keywin users here??? I think theres more than a couple.

Just making a call, info and stuff, including parts :P

I been using the pedals for a couple of years and im pretty happy with them and i was wondering who else is using them and willing to share secrets like get more room to move the cleats laterally.

Any collection of longer axles and extra parts moving around?

Reviews?

rustychisel
06-25-2019, 01:24 AM
User of the standard Keywin system, on four bikes, two being fixed gear. Have used them on road and track for at least 12 years. You'll need to pry them off my dead cold feet.

Light, exceedingly simple, almost unbreakable, outstanding retention, very low stack, blah blah blah

One sided entry (not an issue if you knew how to clipstand with straps), cleats can skate a bit (fair complaint, but then again they're for effin' bike riding not for swanning around the coffee shop).

Spares are for me, but I have few. Two pairs somewhere in the cupboard for cannibalising when I need to, but these suckers just will not die anyway (there's nothing to wear out, basically). Oh yeah, I lost a spindle endcap once, and a pair of replacements cost me like $5. That and a dab of grease occasionally.

martl
06-25-2019, 02:33 AM
pretty much what rustychisel says, got a few pair, loving them.

Caveat: Even though the design of the pedals makes sure that function is unaffected by wear and teat of the part that acts as sole, the shoe plates will break if they get too thin over years of usage.

https://fotos.rennrad-news.de/f/ni/kb/nikbhftudrxm/medium_Keywin-1-2.jpg?0 (https://fotos.rennrad-news.de/p/368204)

Pastashop
06-25-2019, 06:23 AM
Used to use them – smart design. Great on long rides. One caveat for me was that the unclipping action depended on the bending resistance of the plastic piece that seemed to vary slightly between very warm and very cold conditions (summer and winter in New Jersey). In either case, the hold was very secure, but somehow I felt there was detectable difference.

I've since moved on to Time Impact for road, but since 90% of my riding is dirt roads, it's either SPDs or platform pedals.

DaveS
06-25-2019, 06:35 AM
I’ve been using them for about a decade as well, with the associated spare parts floating around in the garage. Every so often I think about changing, but I’ve been happy with them.

Has anyone tracked down a pair of their mtn pedals??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black Dog
06-25-2019, 01:29 PM
Veloo uses them I think.

ultraman6970
06-25-2019, 01:49 PM
Great comments, I do have to agree with the comment about hot and cold weather. I use the carbon ones, the ones with not bearings.

In my case i can tell when is cold, noticed that around 30 F (0 Celcius) the pedals get harder to unclip. I mean significantly harder to unclip. No idea if this is the same with the regular CRM pedal, I have a set moving around but never used it.

Keywin has easy release cleats aswell, but there is a trick to make them easier to unclip. Just shave some material off the cleat in a specific place, have to find the link.

I was asking about parts in stock and stuff because sure you guys swapped just the axle needed and now a few single axles are moving around...

Veloo
06-25-2019, 02:28 PM
Yup, I use them. Had them for about 4, 5 years now I think.
I lucked out. Local distributor was getting rid of stock so I got a deal on them.
I did find them hard to clip out of at first but I guess I wore down the contact interfaces and maybe built up some twisting muscle. It was kinda scary at first. Thought I'd end up falling over at lights for a bit.
I was on mid 90's Look, 2 bolt Dura Ace SPD, TIme Impact S, then went to the CRM model.
I thought the Times were awesome but when I went back to the Impacts for a test, it felt like I was on a narrow piece of ice compared to the Keywins. I was getting cleats from the Australian site and their service was second to none.
They don't look as sleek or sexy as the mainstream stuff which is probably why they didn't get a following here in North America but I think they are better than anything else I've tried. Only thing I wish they offered was a bit more left/ right movement on the cleat positioning.

Dino Suegiù
06-25-2019, 03:54 PM
Yes, the CRM ones. They are great. I do not why they are not better publicized, etc., as they still seem very niche even though they have been around for ages now.

I have no spare parts, and I think Keywin users are hoarders, but I guess in a pinch Keywin could supply some. They have great cs and communication.

ultraman6970
07-07-2019, 07:33 PM
OK guys, anybody have some extra 0 degree caps for the carbon model???

Have some 6 degrees moving around...